Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2016, 11:44   #376
//M
Distinguished - BHPian
 
//M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 4,189
Thanked: 8,597 Times
Default Re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

A red Mustang in Mumbai, probably a demo car or a dealer car, met with a minor crash yesterday with damages to the front LHS fender and front bumper. Not sure how it happened though, maybe during a test-drive.
//M is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 13:34   #377
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,602 Times
Default Re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
To each his own I guess.

This V8 is designed to run on 87 octane gas. What you have available in India is officially 91 octane but actually has much lower octane rating on account of contamination (all of you this, right?) & ingression of various foreign particles, poor handling at terminals, transportation practices that are less than stellar and a number of reasons that I do not wish to go into (have spent more than 20 years in oil companies, 10 of which were at an Indian major).

With a compression ratio of 11:1 this engine would have been susceptible to knocking though electronic nannies would intervene. If it came in at a default state of tune the ECU would have intervened & ran the engine at a perpetual state of detune the moment it sensed a poor quality of fuel. Ford did the right thing & detuned it accordingly from get go.
Strange.

As you've said, the Coyote V8 is designed to run on regular pump-gas (US jargon) i.e. 91/93 RON. If fuel of inferior octane is the diet chosen for the car, the ECU adjusts the timing in order to prevent engine knocking and consequently, power drops to 400 ish (as per several articles and forum discussions). So it comes as a surprise that Ford chose to de-tune the motor in the first place.

So, what if you chose to run it on 97 Octane?
suhaas307 is offline  
Old 13th July 2016, 13:39   #378
//M
Distinguished - BHPian
 
//M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 4,189
Thanked: 8,597 Times
Default Re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
A red Mustang in Mumbai, probably a demo car or a dealer car, met with a minor crash yesterday with damages to the front LHS fender and front bumper. Not sure how it happened though, maybe during a test-drive.
Got these pics in a couple of whatsapp groups. Not sure who clicked this, due credits to the original photographer.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs-img_2350.jpg  

Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs-img_2351.jpg  

Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs-img_2352.jpg  

//M is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 14:11   #379
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,224
Thanked: 1,176 Times
Default Re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

One thing surprising is that Ford seems to have detuned the engine by 35bhp for India, to run on normal fuel. Considering the power output wasn't that high for a 5.0 engine, I would imagine it would have run fine on normal fuel without the detune.

What I read is that the RHD models required a modified exhaust manifold compared to the LHD models which is compromised due to lack of space and causes a drop in power.

Nothing to do with detuning - initially even I thought why is it detuned - but it actually isn't india specific - its RHD specific.

The Coyote engine can run on 87 octane gas in the US which is equivalent to good quality 91 octane locally. Voodoo needs higher octane brew.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 13th July 2016 at 14:12.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 14:21   #380
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,762
Thanked: 6,670 Times
Default Re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
I was a big fan of this car till I drove one; having rented one in January 2011 (have not driven the current version); my enthusiasm evaporated within couple of hours.
There is a big difference between the version you drove and the current version. Not fair to club this version with the previous. This one is far better, but still not up to the levels of the Germans. But it has its own charm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
With a compression ratio of 11:1 this engine would have been susceptible to knocking though electronic nannies would intervene. If it came in at a default state of tune the ECU would have intervened & ran the engine at a perpetual state of detune the moment it sensed a poor quality of fuel. Ford did the right thing & detuned it accordingly from get go.
The engine in my Mercedes has a very similar compression ratio, and it runs regular fuel just fine though I choose to fill her up with 97. And so will most of the owners of the Mustang. Hell, none of the Germans are detuning their engines even though they are running forced induction, why should Ford with a relatively simple NA engine.

Also since you were in the oil industry, over here don't they measure in RON rather than Octane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
What I read is that the RHD models required a modified exhaust manifold compared to the LHD models which is compromised due to lack of space and causes a drop in power.

Nothing to do with detuning - initially even I thought why is it detuned - but it actually isn't india specific - its RHD specific.

The Coyote engine can run on 87 octane gas in the US which is equivalent to good quality 91 octane locally. Voodoo needs higher octane brew.
Aha, that makes sense. But the UK site lists the Mustang at 416ps. So looks like they did detune it a bit for India. Though nothing some mods can't fix.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 14:23   #381
Distinguished - BHPian
 
RavenAvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Flying Around
Posts: 5,376
Thanked: 28,377 Times
Default Re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

Bookings are now open across all Ford dealerships for a token amount of Rs 2 lakhs each.
RavenAvi is offline  
Old 13th July 2016, 14:55   #382
BHPian
 
supertinu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 799
Thanked: 456 Times
Default Re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
There is a big difference between the version you drove and the current version. Not fair to club this version with the previous. This one is far better, but still not up to the levels of the Germans. But it has its own charm.
I had rented Mustang first time in 2004 when I started working in US for about 3 months on company's tab . Even though the car got me lot of wow reactions being the iconic american muscle car it in US, but I found it to be extremely unrefined and tiring on long drives. It had a 3.5L V6, extremely noisy in the cabin, jerky transmission, poor interior quality and a decent handler but hardly as nimble as a regular german or jap sports car. Last year after 11 yrs I again ended up renting mustang mainly due to lack of choice and was pleasantly surprised. The car of course looks nicer, interiors are a notch up in all aspects, refinement levels are 3 levels up in terms of noise, smooth transmission, lot of electronics controls for different modes you want to operate in. And keeping the US price point very good value for money. Now the same thing at 65lacs ex showroom is a different ball game. It may be ok due to lack of enough options in India bit I dont think Mustang is still anywhere close to germans in terms of refinement or quality.

I would suggest watching this episode of Top Gear where Jeremy drives mustang through europe and gives his observations about the car.


Last edited by supertinu : 13th July 2016 at 14:57.
supertinu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 15:43   #383
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,762
Thanked: 6,670 Times
Default Re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
I had rented Mustang first time in 2004 when I started working in US for about 3 months on company's tab . Even though the car got me lot of wow reactions being the iconic american muscle car it in US, but I found it to be extremely unrefined and tiring on long drives. It had a 3.5L V6, extremely noisy in the cabin, jerky transmission, poor interior quality and a decent handler but hardly as nimble as a regular german or jap sports car. Last year after 11 yrs I again ended up renting mustang mainly due to lack of choice and was pleasantly surprised. The car of course looks nicer, interiors are a notch up in all aspects, refinement levels are 3 levels up in terms of noise, smooth transmission, lot of electronics controls for different modes you want to operate in. And keeping the US price point very good value for money. Now the same thing at 65lacs ex showroom is a different ball game. It may be ok due to lack of enough options in India bit I dont think Mustang is still anywhere close to germans in terms of refinement or quality.
I agree. There have been improvements in all the newer generations. But my point was, speaking relatively the improvements between the previous generation and this current one have been much larger than the improvements between any of the previous generations. I've spent a bit of time with the Mustang GT of the previous version (which is in the video you posted) and also the current version and the improvement in interior quality and refinement is immense. Handling too is much better. But no doubt it cannot match the Germans.

I would suggest you see this video -

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 13th July 2016 at 15:59.
Akshay1234 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 02:06   #384
Senior - BHPian
 
coolboy007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,717
Thanked: 1,440 Times
Default Re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

Now since Ford have launched the iconic Mustang and that too at a good price level, i was wondering that where would the maintenance/services be done for these cars?

As an owner of 2 Fords from past 3 years, the well being of customer lounge and the way they treat customers who have brought their cars for service is good enough only till the price point of Ecosport, a guy who spends 75 lakhs on a Mustang would not like to visit the super crowded service centre with average hospitality levels. Would be better if Ford can service these cars at home or can open 1 workshop in each city, the Mustang would not be able to even reach Delhi's Harpreet Ford workshop without getting its underbelly ripped apart, such is the entry path.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 02:44   #385
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,900
Thanked: 2,492 Times
Default Re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Strange.

As you've said, the Coyote V8 is designed to run on regular pump-gas (US jargon) i.e. 91/93 RON.
Small correction, regular pump gas is 87, 91 & 93 are premium which is what the V8 requires.
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 03:43   #386
Senior - BHPian
 
theragingbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,602
Thanked: 611 Times
Default Re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

Is there a reason why the Mustang is tuned down to just 395bhp in India? It's 430hp here in the US.
theragingbull is offline  
Old 14th July 2016, 04:19   #387
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default Re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

It is a muscle car and it is priced like one! A brand new 5 litre V8 is $62k here or 31 lakhs. I guess 100% duty is to be blamed.
extreme_torque is online now  
Old 14th July 2016, 08:11   #388
Senior - BHPian
 
reignofchaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,224
Thanked: 1,176 Times
Default Re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Is there a reason why the Mustang is tuned down to just 395bhp in India? It's 430hp here in the US.
It's because of exhaust manifold changes in rhd cars. Read my earlier post. Plus it's down 10hp or so cos of detuning.
reignofchaos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2016, 08:39   #389
Senior - BHPian
 
theragingbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,602
Thanked: 611 Times
Default Re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
It's because of exhaust manifold changes in rhd cars. Read my earlier post. Plus it's down 10hp or so cos of detuning.
Got it thanks. So was it launched with the track pack standard or is that optional equipment? Will be interesting to see what options they have available in India.
theragingbull is offline  
Old 14th July 2016, 09:23   #390
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,894
Thanked: 1,139 Times
Default Re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

One of my favourite American muscle cars is finally here. I drove a rented 2L Mustang during my US visit. And I wasn't very impressed. Hope Chevy gets the Camaro.

At 65L a copy I'd also consider buying a German sports sedan/coupe.
R2D2 is online now  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 - NEW model coming. EDIT : Launched @ 1.53 Lakhs grplr02 Motorbikes 128 11th June 2014 15:21
BMW X1 facelift coming in on Valentines day. EDIT: Launched at 27.9 Lakhs sarathlal The Indian Car Scene 46 22nd February 2013 10:59
ALL RISE! Toyota Landcruiser coming to India EDIT: Launched at 81 lakhs GTO The Indian Car Scene 174 29th April 2012 15:53
Volvo S60 "HOT" and XC60 are coming. EDIT : XC60 launched at 39.50 lakhs ajai_dev The Indian Car Scene 56 19th January 2011 10:41
Honda "Civic Hybrid" coming. EDIT : Now launched @ 21.50 lakhs amit The Indian Car Scene 149 30th September 2008 22:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:36.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks