Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2015, 03:21   #106
BHPian
 
johannskaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MH 03 / KL 08
Posts: 620
Thanked: 1,271 Times
Default Re: Why 2015 Mustang sports car makes sense for the Indian Auto enthusiast - A fanboy’s ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivjeet View Post
1 cr for the 2.3 ecoboost makes no sense at all. I'd rather import the GT V8 from the UK. Its for 33,000 £ in the UK and even if you triple that, it will touch 1 cr.
Yup an import would cost less than a purchase from Ford India if charged 1cr so its highly unlikely!
johannskaria is online now  
Old 27th April 2015, 11:50   #107
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 922 Times
Default Re: Why 2015 Mustang sports car makes sense for the Indian Auto enthusiast - A fanboy’s ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivjeet View Post
1 cr for the 2.3 ecoboost makes no sense at all. I'd rather import the GT V8 from the UK. Its for 33,000 £ in the UK and even if you triple that, it will touch 1 cr.
Saif Ali Khans car which was brought by a dealer in the early 2000's costed him 1 cr plus then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
Yup an import would cost less than a purchase from Ford India if charged 1cr so its highly unlikely!
Well assuming it does cost cheaper than what Ford India sells the car, The direct import will hold no warranties from Ford India. Which means anything goes wrong, pay the full bill at ford or then go to an imported car mechanic to get it fixed.
speedy is offline  
Old 27th April 2015, 13:45   #108
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aberdeen, UK
Posts: 1,159
Thanked: 888 Times
Default re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivjeet View Post
1 cr for the 2.3 ecoboost makes no sense at all. I'd rather import the GT V8 from the UK. Its for 33,000 £ in the UK and even if you triple that, it will touch 1 cr.
Nope its even cheaper, the 2.3 Ecoboost is £29k in the UK, its the V8 that's £33k. That's some pricing especially considering UK's heavy duties/taxes on out of EU imports. Therefore I find it highly unlikely that the Mustang will be anywhere near a crore when it reaches India. To get an idea the Mustang's starting price in the US is less than half that of the basic Boxter.

I believe the Mustang will be priced about 65lacs if not less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Saif Ali Khans car which was brought by a dealer in the early 2000's costed him 1 cr plus then.
Didn't he have a GT 500, which then underwent an expensive RHD conversion job (the previous Mustang was LHD only), therefore it wont be surprising if it was close to a crore.
shortbread is offline  
Old 27th April 2015, 13:58   #109
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 922 Times
Default re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Nope its even cheaper, the 2.3 Ecoboost is £29k in the UK, its the V8 that's £33k. That's some pricing especially considering UK's heavy duties/taxes on out of EU imports. Therefore I find it highly unlikely that the Mustang will be anywhere near a crore when it reaches India. To get an idea the Mustang's starting price in the US is less than half that of the basic Boxter.

I believe the Mustang will be priced about 65lacs if not less!



Didn't he have a GT 500, which then underwent an expensive RHD conversion job (the previous Mustang was LHD only), therefore it wont be surprising if it was close to a crore.
Shortbread, we live in India and not the UK or America, so the whole process is completely different. When my family got the California in London, it costed about Rs 85 Lakhs, the same car in India then was at the 2 cr plus range.

Audi TT and the Mustang at the same price highly unlikely. The 4cyl i estimate would be in the CLA 45 AMG range.

Both the GT 500's were converted (mind you not by Ford, or official dealerships) in Dubai. The cost was not close to a crore, it was above it, around 1.5 mark.
speedy is offline  
Old 27th April 2015, 14:44   #110
Senior - BHPian
 
zenren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CLT/TVM/HYD
Posts: 2,578
Thanked: 1,722 Times
Default re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Well assuming it does cost cheaper than what Ford India sells the car, The direct import will hold no warranties from Ford India. Which means anything goes wrong, pay the full bill at ford or then go to an imported car mechanic to get it fixed.
Agreed. Warranty is a risk, though I would guess a few people would be willing to take that risk once the car has sold enough numbers in UK to ensure no design flaws are found.

However, even if you buy from dealership, parts availability and price would be high considering everything needs to be imported.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 14:51   #111
BHPian
 
johannskaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MH 03 / KL 08
Posts: 620
Thanked: 1,271 Times
Default re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post

Well assuming it does cost cheaper than what Ford India sells the car, The direct import will hold no warranties from Ford India. Which means anything goes wrong, pay the full bill at ford or then go to an imported car mechanic to get it fixed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Shortbread, we live in India and not the UK or America, so the whole process is completely different. When my family got the California in London, it costed about Rs 85 Lakhs, the same car in India then was at the 2 cr plus range.

Audi TT and the Mustang at the same price highly unlikely. The 4cyl i estimate would be in the CLA 45 AMG range.
If the premiums are more than eye popping then it does make lot of sense to maintain the car at a very good mechanic with parts imported from UK!
The dealership bills are not going to be small amounts by any chance!
Obviously I won't be preferring it , but still i would seriously consider if there are the economic benefits.

Lets get the facts right.
A Ferrari California retails approximately for the following prices :-

U.K - ₤ 153,000 - Rs 1,48,00,000/-
U.S - $ 199,000 - Rs 1,27,00,000/-
Ind - - Rs 2,20,00,000/-

Even if you go by the rule of thumb that the prices of the exotics in India are twice the retail prices of U.S or U.K it would be safe to assume that Ford in India will/can most likely price at or around 60 lakhs give or take 10 lakhs.

Now the Audi TT retails around $44,000 - Rs 28,00,000
₤,34,000 - Rs 33,00,000 &
Merc CLA 45 AMG for $ 48,500 - Rs 31,00,000
₤42,000 - Rs 40,55,000

Even with premiums the EcoBoost Mustang can be priced comfortably near to Audi TT and the V8 dangerously near the Merc CLA 45 AMG!
It's gonna be a win win for us!

Last edited by johannskaria : 27th April 2015 at 14:52.
johannskaria is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2015, 15:08   #112
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Aberdeen, UK
Posts: 1,159
Thanked: 888 Times
Default re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Shortbread, we live in India and not the UK or America, so the whole process is completely different. When my family got the California in London, it costed about Rs 85 Lakhs, the same car in India then was at the 2 cr plus range.
First of congratulations on the California, I have only sat in a Ferrari once and it was a wonderful experience.

But, I cannot understand the Rs.85 lac valuation, because if true you got a Ferrari at nearly half price.

The Cali starts at £150k + in the UK as far as I am aware. It is an EU import so the duties/taxes wont be as hefty as a US car, nonetheless as per current currency valuations a UK Cali equates to close to 1.5 crores and not 85 lacs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Audi TT and the Mustang at the same price highly unlikely. The 4cyl i estimate would be in the CLA 45 AMG range.
Again you are very wrong I am afraid.

In the UK, the base Audi TT which is a German/EU import (thus lower duty/tax than a US import, sorry to sound repetitive) costs £29.8 k, while the 2.3 Ecoboost Mustang costs 29k.

Yes I know, it sounds ridiculous but the Ford Mustang is cheaper than a base TT. I know which I would rather have.

Now to make this even more ridiculous,

The 435 bhp V8 is just £33k, white the tarted up TT S model with 300 horses costs £39k!

Shocking I know, that a V8 Ford Mustang is much cheaper than a 4 cyl TT in the 'SAME' foreign market.

The CLA AMG is £40k+,making it appalling VFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Both the GT 500's were converted (mind you not by Ford, or official dealerships) in Dubai. The cost was not close to a crore, it was above it, around 1.5 mark.
The GT500 is almost twice the price of the base Mustang if I'm not mistaken, plus the conversion costs. I wont be surprised by the hefty price tag but the standard factory line version is much more affordable and reliable.
shortbread is offline  
Old 27th April 2015, 15:13   #113
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 922 Times
Default re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Agreed. Warranty is a risk, though I would guess a few people would be willing to take that risk once the car has sold enough numbers in UK to ensure no design flaws are found.

However, even if you buy from dealership, parts availability and price would be high considering everything needs to be imported.
There are many who can get the car down directly, but still have not. In both cases the parts would be imported, but the question of skilled people to do the job is the issue. please do remember there are only two New shape Mustangs in India. The cost would be higher, but for someone buying a car at a higher price is mental peace at a dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
If the premiums are more than eye popping then it does make lot of sense to maintain the car at a very good mechanic with parts imported from UK!
The dealership bills are not going to be small amounts by any chance!
Obviously I won't be preferring it , but still i would seriously consider if there are the economic benefits.
Even with premiums the EcoBoost Mustang can be priced comfortably near to Audi TT and the V8 dangerously near the Merc CLA 45 AMG!
It's gonna be a win win for us!
The dealer service bill even for smaller cars are not cheap, as that is where they make their money, so for someone who has bought a car worth a crore, knows his bill is going to be high. If you talk of parts..UK is not the best place to shop for a Mustang.

Sir i really don't understand why you keep compering UK prices with Indian Prices. My families Maserati GC costed 1.65 or 1.75 in India and directly imported by us. This was around 2007 or 2008.

The Audi TT in India is 60 lakhs ex showroom delhi. The CLA 45 AMG is in the 90 lakhs region.

Lets just wait for Ford India to make its announcement and release a price.

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st May 2015 at 02:54. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
speedy is offline  
Old 27th April 2015, 15:42   #114
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Noida
Posts: 17
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

One thing is for sure that if the mustang retails around 60lacs then it'll make a lot of people a lot happier. In recent times though a lot of cars have disappointed (me atleast) with there pricing.
Look at CLA45 AMG, should have been priced around 50-60lacs but retails for 90, one would rather put in 10-15 extra and get a proven performer like a M3 or M5, another car that disappointed me a lot was the Macan, a baby suv for 1cr, that's insane, I was quite bemused when it was speculated to debut around 70-80lacs.

A lot of cars are over priced in our country but such exorbitant pricing like the cla45 or the macan is insane. Lets just hope that the Mustang comes at a price which is affordable by many not a few.
Vikram_agg is offline  
Old 27th April 2015, 16:04   #115
BHPian
 
Shivjeet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 139
Thanked: 396 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
please do remember there are only two New shape Mustangs in India.

You mean the 2015 Mustang? I had no clue that they're already in India. Can you please tell us about specs and which cities?
Shivjeet is offline  
Old 27th April 2015, 16:15   #116
Senior - BHPian
 
stanjohn123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: TN 75
Posts: 1,044
Thanked: 354 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram_agg View Post
Just read in May's autocar issue that the mustang will debut at 1cr, that's the price for the lowest spec'd mustang, the 2.3L v6 eco-boost. They generally are not far from the exact price but will have to wait till it's launched.

PS: would love it and probably buy it, IF it's launched around 60L (unlikely though)
First of all eco-boost is not a V6 . Eco boost is strictly a 4 banger. And the pricing is totally OFF. It will and should be priced around 50 Lakh for the Eco Boost. The 5.0 litre around 75-80 Lakhs is more realistic.

If prices are going to be more than this , we can just get it from UK and pay the taxes in India, I'm sure it will work out a lot cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post

Again you are very wrong I am afraid.

In the UK, the base Audi TT which is a German/EU import (thus lower duty/tax than a US import, sorry to sound repetitive) costs £29.8 k, while the 2.3 Ecoboost Mustang costs 29k.

The 435 bhp V8 is just £33k, white the tarted up TT S model with 300 horses costs £39k!

Shocking I know, that a V8 Ford Mustang is much cheaper than a 4 cyl TT in the 'SAME' foreign market.
Mustangs are usually known for their very good performance to price value proposition at least in the US. If they are going to price it close to the German sport sedans in India, what is the point of releasing it here ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram_agg View Post

A lot of cars are over priced in our country but such exorbitant pricing like the cla45 or the macan is insane. Lets just hope that the Mustang comes at a price which is affordable by many not a few.
So true , I guess everyone remembers what happened to the Evolution from Mitsubishi once it's price was announced in India. Ford can probably learn a lesson from that at least.

We know it's a Halo car , but if Ford can price it reasonably well compared to the German sports cars in India, who knows , it may just sell much more ( with nuts like us ready to spend for it )

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st May 2015 at 02:55. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
stanjohn123 is offline  
Old 29th April 2015, 11:15   #117
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,197
Thanked: 922 Times
Default re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram_agg View Post
Look at CLA45 AMG, should have been priced around 50-60lacs but retails for 90, one would rather put in 10-15 extra and get a proven performer like a M3 or M5, another car that disappointed me a lot was the Macan, a baby suv for 1cr, that's insane, I was quite bemused when it was speculated to debut around 70-80lacs.

A lot of cars are over priced in our country but such exorbitant pricing like the cla45 or the macan is insane. Lets just hope that the Mustang comes at a price which is affordable by many not a few.
One would have to put more then 10-15 to get a M3-M4 and even more to get a M5. Macan is 1 cr plus for the base car, the turbo goes in the 1.5 range.

Thats a dream to think the car would be affordable by many..companies are here to milk the public and not get milked themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivjeet View Post
You mean the 2015 Mustang? I had no clue that they're already in India. Can you please tell us about specs and which cities?
No Sir, not the 2015 models but the 2007/08 models. The Black one is in the south and the red one is in Bombay. Pictures of both cars are on the forum.
speedy is offline  
Old 29th April 2015, 12:06   #118
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Noida
Posts: 17
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Then I think milking has gone terribly wrong, haven't seen a single macan on delhi roads and m3, m4 and m5 have been in negligible numbers.

Yes these cars are not supposed to sell in big numbers but negligible numbers is also something that these brands don't expect.

If these brands want to milk people then they should stop shocking them with exorbitant prices. Nobody expects the prices to be reasonable but they should be achievable by a larger demographic.
Vikram_agg is offline  
Old 30th April 2015, 23:30   #119
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Montreal, CA
Posts: 121
Thanked: 28 Times
Default re: Ford Mustang coming to India. EDIT: Launched at 65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram_agg View Post
Then I think milking has gone terribly wrong, haven't seen a single macan on delhi roads and m3, m4 and m5 have been in negligible numbers.
A friend of mine bought a Macan in Vijayawada at launch. Not just it's price but I know that the vehicle was severely supply constrained when it was launched. I hope it isn't the case anymore.

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st May 2015 at 02:56. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
sweetvar26 is offline  
Old 1st May 2015, 10:55   #120
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 16
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Seeing a Mustang itself will be like a dream for many. Can't compare it to the luxury brands. Altogether different animals. But yes, now that Mustang in India is confirmed, waiting for the dream to come true - test driving one at least!
rkris is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 - NEW model coming. EDIT : Launched @ 1.53 Lakhs grplr02 Motorbikes 128 11th June 2014 15:21
BMW X1 facelift coming in on Valentines day. EDIT: Launched at 27.9 Lakhs sarathlal The Indian Car Scene 46 22nd February 2013 10:59
ALL RISE! Toyota Landcruiser coming to India EDIT: Launched at 81 lakhs GTO The Indian Car Scene 174 29th April 2012 15:53
Volvo S60 "HOT" and XC60 are coming. EDIT : XC60 launched at 39.50 lakhs ajai_dev The Indian Car Scene 56 19th January 2011 10:41
Honda "Civic Hybrid" coming. EDIT : Now launched @ 21.50 lakhs amit The Indian Car Scene 149 30th September 2008 22:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:26.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks