Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 25th September 2013, 12:29   #1
BHPian

Default Fiat Linea Classic launched at 5.99 Lakhs

Fiat’s budget sedan, monikered Linea Classic, has officially been launched in Delhi. It has been launched with a price tag starting at Rs 5.99 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi). The regular Linea in the meanwhile starts at Rs 7.12 lakh.
With the festive season coming, every carmaker is trying to come up with newer/refreshed, affordable products. The Linea Classic will try to make a mark with people looking for the ‘sedan’ experience at the price of a premium hatchback.

There are two variants, the Classic and Classic+. The Classic comes with both petrol and diesel options, the 1.4-litre petrol and 1.3-litre multijet diesel. The Classic+ however comes only in diesel with the diesel engine. The Linea Classic comes with features like hydraulic power steering, programmable speed limit buzzer, dual parabola headlamps and fire prevention system.
The 1.4 petrol Classic is priced at Rs.5,99,000, the 1.3 diesel Classic at Rs.6,95,976 and 1.3 diesel Classic+ costs Rs.7,50,976.
The Linea will take on the likes of Ford Fiesta Classic, Chevrolet Sail and Mahindra

http://overdrive.in/news/fiat-linea-...-rs-5-99-lakh/

Highly aggressive pricing!!! This is a copy-paste job from the Fiesta Classic; the only difference being that while the Older Fiesta (now Fiesta Classic was already in existence as the Fiesta- they bought a new Fiesta above it and repositioned the old one as the Classic. Fiat did the reverse. They took the Linea and cut away technology from it and repositioned it as the Linea Classic)

I see two problems with this strategy: 1- When Ford did it, the new Fiesta was noticeably different from the older model. Design, Technology, Features- everything. This looks exactly like the older Linea (as it is just a cut-price variant of the older Linea). Thus not only will the brand value of the Linea diminish as the common man doesnt really care about which Linea it is but it will also cause heartburn to the customers who own the Linea with all bells and whistles as now they'll see those cut-price Linea's everywhere

2- This strategy is not correct for surviving in the Long Term. The Optra was launched initially at around 10 lakh. They started cutting out equipment from it (including the good engines) and at one point of time- they were advertising the Optra for 6.99 lakhs ex-showroom. Thats 3 lakh rupees down. And today- the Optra is no more in the market! I think the Linea may go the same way! (I hope it doesnt but i think it may)

Mods: I just spotted a thread "Fiat India Strategy Revealed" after I posted this. Please feel free to merge the threads if you think this does not need a seperate thread

Last edited by rahul4321 : 25th September 2013 at 12:40. Reason: Footnote to Mods:
rahul4321 is offline   (14) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 13:20   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat Linea Classic launched at 5.99 Lakhs

The Classic+ however comes only in diesel with the diesel engine.

5.99 ex showroom is a good buy unless they have compromised with sub quality plastics
deepakchiniwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 13:21   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
It has been launched with a price tag starting at Rs 5.99 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi). The regular Linea in the meanwhile starts at Rs 7.12 lakh.
In other words, the discount has been made official. It wasn't uncommon for dealers to offer a 1 lakh discount on the Linea till last month.

Of course, officially launching a variant at a cheaper (discounted) price has its advantages:

1. Everyone gets the new price (remember, dealer discounts depend on your bargaining skills).

2. Creates a buzz. That's the reason behind the "5.99" lakh price (as against 6.00 lakhs).
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 13:28   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
The Classic+ however comes only in diesel with the diesel engine.
This was the point that caught my eye too!

I understand that FIAT has struck a deal with a cab service provider for about 1000 classics to be sold to them. It defintiely is a good replacement for Logan/Verito as long as FIAT is able to provide good service.
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 13:30   #5
BHPian

I wonder how this will impact the top end Punto. Does FIAT believe that those who look for hatchbacks will not be tempted for the sedan? I am not so sure if that is the case. I do hope that FIAT's total sales will increase with this move but the Punto that was selling far better than the Linea might just be the first victim of this move. Its possible that selling these Classics could be more profitable for FIAT as compared to the Punto and so they wouldn't mind this cross shopping.
chittybang is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 13:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

@Moderators , there are still 2 independent threads running on this sibject - one is this and the other is with the title 'Linea to launch lower priced classic' - might be better to merge both since the discussions are going to be related strongly?
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 14:15   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Of course, officially launching a variant at a cheaper (discounted) price has its advantages:

1. Everyone gets the new price (remember, dealer discounts depend on your bargaining skills).

2. Creates a buzz. That's the reason behind the "5.99" lakh price (as against 6.00 lakhs).
+ of course, the reduced road tax.

Will be helpful if some one can consolidate the main differences between the classic and the regular ones. They just didn't put a 'Classic' badge on a regular one, did they?!
2cents is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 14:19   #8
BHPian

Quote:
In other words, the discount has been made official. It wasn't uncommon for dealers to offer a 1 lakh discount on the Linea till last month.

And 3. Fiat gets to produce the car at a cheaper cost due to all the missing/downgraded features.
rlvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 14:19   #9
BHPian

Any idea that it also cut down the GC, ABS, Airbags, etc.. ? If there is no cut in terms of dimensions or any features, I would buy a classic + immediately after they start booking

OT : right now am in the confusion of buying a Sedan (Diesel)
trtraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 14:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

Still awaiting information from official sources. Lots of confusion regarding features, etc. From the looks of it, ABS should be standard on the Classic+ model at least.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 14:35   #11
BHPian

This car simply looks the same from outside. But the inside somehow looks cheaper than the maruti 800. I know it looks tantalisingly big from the outside. There is one big advantage however- You can tell your friends it is a big car. And very few people will notice the tiny classic badge. Hardly anyone will know you were searching for a punto and you ended up buying a linea. So this move is essentially a move where they did not downgrade the car by itself.

OT- planning to buy a linea. classic OR current OR facelift. All 3 fall in my budget. Maybe i will be able to buy a punto after the classic
1967'stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 14:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So net net it's actually a loss for the customer, because previously the 1 lakh discount used to be on the relatively more loaded versions. Would have been better if they had gone about this more quietly. It's nothing earth-shattering this. It's not as if they have created a new segment, dzire, logan, etios all are priced almost quite a bit lesser than base linea.

Ofcourse the connoiseur can always say that the Linea hides more than it reveals, it's an excellent rough road package, ride quality, composure ra ra .. but still it's nothing that stands out for the common car buyer used to comparing numbers.
lurker is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 15:25   #13
BHPian

While everyone including me were expecting Fiat to launch Abarth and next gen Linea & Punto, here comes a stripped down version of Fiats 'Admiration Guaranteed' model.

Well, IMO they must have some plans and should be launching new Linea (which has been caught testing already) quickly to ensure brand Linea is not diluted.
S.MJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 15:40   #14
BHPian

Classic and classic plus features :
All variants come with power steering, power windows, tilt steering, manual AC, follow me home headlamps, rear armrest and multi-information display as standard.
The base variants don’t get an audio system and steering mounted audio controls have been omitted across the Linea Classic’s range.
The mirror adjustment is manual in all the variants.

The Linea Classic Plus gets integrated audio system (with CD/MP3 and FM functions) and ABS but airbags are not offered.

The Linea Classic is available in 5 colours.

Petrol Sedan Price Comparison -
* Maruti Suzuki DZire – Rs. 4.93 – 6.44 lakhs
* Honda Amaze – Rs. 5.05 – 6.70 lakhs
* Mahindra Verito – Rs. 5.40 – 5.62 lakhs
* Ford Classic Petrol Price – Rs. 5.65 – Rs. 6.96 lakhs
* Fiat Linea Classic – Rs. 5.99 lakhs

Diesel Sedan Price Comparison -
* Maruti Suzuki DZire – Rs. 6.00 – 7.50 lakhs
* Honda Amaze – Rs. 6.09 – 7.70 lakhs
* Mahindra Verito – Rs. 6.38 – 7.28 lakhs
* Ford Classic Petrol Price – Rs. 6.93 – Rs. 7.97 lakhs
* Fiat Linea Classic – Rs. 6.96 – 7.51 lakhs

all prices ex-showroom, Delhi.

source http://www.motorbeam.com
Attached Images

nskumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2013, 15:52   #15
Senior - BHPian

Today on my way to office spotted a white Linea Classic without wheel caps(black steel wheel). In a second was able to identify that this is not a regular linea. It looked ugly with tyres looking very small and huge gap above wheels.

Last edited by djay99 : 25th September 2013 at 15:54.
djay99 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote