Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th November 2013, 10:06   #271
BHPian

Default Re: VW Vento TSI Launched at Rs.9.99 lakhs

Has anyone been able to register their Vento Tsi in Bangalore or Karnataka in general. I was at the dealership as my Temp registration expires on 23 Nov and as per the person there, the RTO still doesn't have details of the Vento Tsi in their database. After reading through various websites, it seems that the temporary registration cannot be extended in Bangalore and is valid only for 1 month.

This would mean that I will not be able to drive my car until the RTO has got the updated information on their database. Seems the RTO isn't able to keep up with the versions/models that are being released.

I would appreciate any insights as I'd hate to go back to relying on the driver at 5:30am for my office.

Update 19th Nov 11:05 am:
You all can ignore my previous request. Talk about timing. This morning I've got a call that the Vento Tsi is officially on the RTO database and I've been asked to bring the car over to the RTO this afternoon. Atleast now, I will have one less thing to worry about.

Last edited by noopster : 21st November 2013 at 11:27. Reason: Updated
stumpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 23:09   #272
Senior - BHPian

After the GT TDi, the Vento TSI starts discounts.
VW Vento TSI Launched at Rs.9.99 lakhs-vwvento.jpg

Source: http://www.volkswagen.co.in/en

Edit : As mentioned by pats, VW denies the offer . Based on another web ad, there is a clear mention of benefits of upto 65000 on the Vento TDI and TSI. Poor case of bad print.

More concrete info can be had from VW helpline : 1800 209 0909

Last edited by dipen : 19th November 2013 at 23:31.
dipen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 23:21   #273
BHPian

Basis the ad today in a newspaper i had called VW West,Mumbai and they confirmed that there is no offer on TSI model for Polo and Vento but on other non TSI models.

Further i was informed there are is no Vento TSI available for immediate delivery and the earliest which can be delivered is end of Jan 14.
pats is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2013, 10:13   #274
BHPian

Had one of the best experiences at the RTO yesterday.

Went to the RTO at 2pm (suggested time by the dealer rep. person)
2:30 RTO comes out
2:35 My guy hands over the file
2:36 My guy screams VIN number
2:36 RTO signs the file (he's nowhere near my car)
2:37 I'm done registering the car
2:40 Walk to the office and pick one of the numbers in sequence
2:42 Inform the guy behind the counter
2:45 Leave RTO

By far one of the most efficient experieces I've had.

NOTE: The reason I had to go with the car is because the RTO did not have a Vento TSi on their database and I was driving the car with a Temp. Registration.
stumpz is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 08:42   #275
BHPian

For those that may be looking for a Vento TSi. Apple Auto (Bangalore) has a White one on Display. They were originally going to register it, but now it's up for sale.

Thought I'd post here incase anyone was searching.
stumpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 09:04   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpz View Post
For those that may be looking for a Vento TSi. Apple Auto (Bangalore) has a White one on Display. They were originally going to register it, but now it's up for sale.

PPS Motors Somajiguda, Hyderabad has a Blue TSI, which I was planning earlier. But, heart won over head and now going for Polo GT TSI.
jha.shailesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 10:00   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpz View Post

I had booked a Blue TSI with VW Whitefield and till 13th November the info I got from my SA and the dealership was that I can expect the car by this month end. Based on this I went ahead with the sale of my existing car. On 17th when I went to showroom to get the status, I got a shocking response, New cars are expected only by Jan end and hence I can get a Shadow Blue Vento TSI only in Jan end. The SA dealing my case has apparently gone on a long leave and his mobile was not reachable.

Spoke to an Asst Manager and he repeated the same thing. He then encouraged me to take the white they have in stock. and surprisingly was willing to offer a discount if I switched to white. I did not want a white and hence rejected it.

Not sure if the offer was just for my case. But if someone is going for it, no harm in trying to get a discount. I think the white was sent as a display/test drive car and since they are selling it, they have some freedom in playing around with the price.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 10:04   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I had booked a Blue TSI with VW Whitefield and till 13th November the info I got from my SA and the dealership was that I can expect the car by this month end. Based on this I went ahead with the sale of my existing car. On 17th when I went to showroom to get the status, I got a shocking response, New cars are expected only by Jan end and hence I can get a Shadow Blue Vento TSI only in Jan end. The SA dealing my case has apparently gone on a long leave and his mobile was not reachable.

Spoke to an Asst Manager and he repeated the same thing. He then encouraged me to take the white they have in stock. and surprisingly was willing to offer a discount if I switched to white. I did not want a white and hence rejected it.

Not sure if the offer was just for my case. But if someone is going for it, no harm in trying to get a discount. I think the white was sent as a display/test drive car and since they are selling it, they have some freedom in playing around with the price.
Its an old practice at VW Showrooms to sell off test driven vehicles. The one i drove as well had the odometer disconnected.
nik_kapur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 10:09   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Its an old practice at VW Showrooms to sell off test driven vehicles. The one i drove as well had the odometer disconnected.
I can confirm that this car has not been used as a test drive vehicle as VW Whitefield have not been giving test drives for the Vento TSI. The car is definitely a fresh car. I suppose it was meant to be a test drive/display vehicle but they did not use it for that purpose.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 11:31   #280
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
This is a pretty strong allegation to make. Do you have any proof of this? I think the experience deserves a separate thread.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 11:44   #281
Distinguished - BHPian

My experience with VW dealership and test drive was quite different. Earlier this year, when I visited the showroom, the Sales Manager said that their test drive car is pre-refresh Highline and they’re getting a new TD car next day, and he suggested me to take a TD with that car so that I get a correct gauge of the latest model. And as promised, they brought the car to our place next day for a test drive, and overall the experience was very pleasant.

This was in January, and my mom says that they still give follow-up calls at least once a month to check when I am visiting home again
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 12:15   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
This is a pretty strong allegation to make. Do you have any proof of this? I think the experience deserves a separate thread.
Agree with Anoop. I have seen that happen in the past with Maruti dealers (albeit nearly 10 years ago now, when we were replacing our Zen with a City) but VW (both Downtown Mumbai and Thane), and for that matter Skoda / Honda were very scrupulous in sticking only to test drive cars both in 2010 and 2012.
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 18:25   #283
BHPian

Default VW Vento TSI Early Ownership Experience

The Search
I was in the market looking for an automatic transmission car being tired of manual transmission pains of 60 KM commute in busy traffic of Mumbai. I had set my eyes on Ford Ecosport 1.5 AT; however due to uncertainty in delivery dates, I had to cancel my pre-booking. I explored other cars:

1. Honda City Automatic: Nearly bought a used one, somehow detected anomalies and inconsistencies in the car's odometer and the general condition particularly that of the tyres. Cancelled the deal. I didn't want to spend INR 12 lakhs on new one as it didn't fit my perceived needs of build quality and features such as climate control.
2. Nissan Micra Automatic: Good, nifty city commute car, however felt small for family with growing children. Moreover, it didn't offer a distinct upgrade from my Suzuki Swift in terms of boot space etc. A Honda Jazz with auto transmission would have been very amenable.
3. Pre-owned Skoda Laura: Loved the cars but wasn't very comfortable with ownership history of the ones I saw, add to that higher cost of financing, this was a no-go.
4. VW Vento 1.6 Automatic/Hyundai Verna Automatic: I had struck those off earlier due to lack of driving pleasure.
5. Ford Fiesta Automatic with Powershift DCT: I liked the car, but lack of a tiptronic and S-mode and my inclination for an Ecosport tipped the decision against it.

Narrowing the Choice and Booking
I turned again to Team-BHP and saw a thread on VW Vento TSI launch. I called the dealership and they said that there is one available in stock though none for test drive. I read through Polo GT TSi reviews for impressions of driving characteristics. I checked out the car at VW Thane, visually identical to Vento 1.6 and asked for a test drive on an older Vento Automatic to get a feel of road presence, visibility and ergonomics as I always had an apprehension about leg room in foot well and the instrument cowl cutting into leg room on left; I could stretch my legs well and given that I had to buy a car soon since my old car's lease was up, I booked one.
I must mention here that SA at VW Thane, Ms. Manjusha was very helpful with test drives of Ventos and Polos over the past eight months and I had decided to walk away each time sans this time. Her resilience and being receptive to a potential customer won her the deal.
They let me organize financing on my own since I had a pre-approved loan from HDFC at 10% p.a. reducing. They also matched the quote on RTO charges from another dealer, thankfully provided by Team BHP forum member amidoc, and let me buy a zero-depreciation insurance since it was much lower than their quote of INR46000. It took about a week to organize paperwork.

Delivery
I went for the PDI at their stockyard in Bhiwandi, the team there was helpful and let me have a good look at the car and helped me with VIN etc. There was a minor flap as the VIN I was carrying was for shadow blue 1.6 Vento manual transmission; a call to SA got it resolved and I was also able to alert the bank to ensure correct VIN for hypothecation records. A few days of business trip and off-site meeting allowed for paperwork to settle down. I got a call 2 days before Dhanteras that I could take my delivery on the auspicious day.
The delivery process was reasonably okay since they had a rush of deliveries, they did try to rush me through but I suggested that I had waited patiently for a few hours for other customers to take their deliveries to which they responded with warmth and admitted that I did deserve my time. After the customary pooja and signing some more papers, I was ready to go. I must reiterate that the pre-delivery check list from Team BHP was a big help.

Early Impressions
An overall review of VW Vento on this forum by GTO and Rehaan (Volkswagen Vento : Test Drive & Review), and ownership review of Vento AT by noopster hold good thus I would refrain from re-inventing the wheel (and a not a good one at that)

Sticking to key differentiators, here are my observations:
The engine sounds unlike the 1.6 petrol engine, it sounds like a much bigger engine when cranked and settles down to a very quite idle in a couple of minutes, barely audible but raring to go. One can roll into a forward motion to ease out of parking space without depressing the throttle; gently easing the brakes does the trick. The moment you engage the throttle, the 7-speed DSG comes into play, by the time you clear the parking lot at an average speed of 10-11 KMPH, the MID shows D2 and easy progression to D7 at 60KMPH by the time I am on the main thoroughfare. All it requires is a mild tap on the throttle and the engine leaps to response with plenty of power on tap. The flat torque 175 Nm available right at 1500 rpm makes it a delight for a light footed driver like me. Overtaking, changing lanes and climbing up a flyover are a cakewalk given the acceleration available and niftiness of the car. I did try the sport mode for engine braking at one or two steep inclines/descent near Powai/Gandhingar and Mahakali Caves Road but figured that a tiptronic selection to 2nd or 3rd gear is more effective unless one wants to negotiate the descent at a higher speed. I would give drivability and engine a big thumbs-up; it is way ahead of Honda City and the new Ford Fiesta. Engine remains quite and growls at a slight tap to deliver, cruising is very quite thanks to insulation inside the hood and excellent NVH control, that is miles ahead of Swift and betters other segment cars. The only noise one tends to get is that of tyres Ė Apollo Acceleres, the Michelins on my Swift were very quite. One unusual observation though is an abrupt downshift from 3rd to 2nd gear under braking; it causes car to decelerate faster than I anticipated due to engine braking coupled with brakes and there is pronounced jerk in otherwise seamless up shifts or down shifts. I would request other forum members to share their experience of Polo or Vento TSi on this.
Another big plus this car has is the hill-hold function that comes in handy in stop and go traffic particularly at inclines.

Asides...
The car comes with climate control, reverse alarm, USB, AUX, Blue-tooth media and phone pairing, steering mounted controls, hill hold and electronic stability program (ESP). Audio quality is average but that works for me as I am quite happy to tune into AIR FM or a listen to a song or two from my USB or phone media. Air-conditioning is decent though yet to be tested in peak summer. I do have a preference for climate control thus this was a comfort factor for me vis-ŗ-vis a manual HVAC in Honda City.
I did allude to my apprehensions on the ergonomics of the car earlier, however I did find a good driving posture due to height adjustment, reach and rake adjustment of steering and a foot well devoid of clutch pedal. I do miss a dead pedal though. There is plenty of room for the left foot to stretch though I still feel that placement of pedals is better in Honda City as they are closer to the floor and one can work the heel to toe action easily, the brake pedal and throttle in Vento are slightly raised thus require a little less ergonomic compared to Honda City. The arm rest on left side of driver seat while a good addition; can be cumbersome to operate and interferes with handbrake and seat belt access. It does provide a nifty place for the left arm to rest, here a Honda City scores over again.
I wonder though whether one should get glare on windscreen from dashboard, I havenít seen a prominent glare on other cars but here it is quite stark, I wonder if it is due to my seat position! Another fly in the ointment is the internal rear view mirror that works okay during the day but tends to reflect ceiling if the car behind comes too close due to diffusion of light; the night mode was much better in my Suzuki Swift.
The leatherette seat is of high quality and provides excellent support, but it is no leather or premium fabric, though perforations in texture allow air circulation and prevent sweating. I would rather have factory fitted leather at a premium if there was an option.
Overall, I am happy with the performance so far and do feel that it is a complete package in this segment at this price point (approximately INR 11.8 OTR). While I had liked VW Vento for its build quality and understated styling but stayed away due to low engine response, the choice of 1.2 TSi engine and 7-speed DSG has transformed this car to my liking.
Having driven it for 500 odd kilometers largely commuting in the city doesnít give me enough data points to share more. I will add to the story after a few long cruises hopefully with Team BHP stickers.

Odds and ends
The unusual mechanism for the right windshield wiper claimed its first scratch as the car cleaning guy seemed to have forced it; on my gentle query he admitted that he didnít know and felt bad about it. There is not a whole lot we can do about it except counseling him to be careful.

My picture upload link timed out - I will try to upload them again.

Bottomline
I wanted to thank forward the forum members by writing this and just realized even more how difficult it is to compile a review; hats off to all of you for providing this wealth of information freely available to everyone.
dnahelix is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 18:43   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnahelix View Post
The Search
I was in the market looking for an automatic transmission car being tired of manual transmission pains of 60 KM commute in busy traffic of Mumbai. I had set my eyes on Ford Ecosport 1.5 AT; however due to uncertainty in delivery dates, I had to cancel my pre-booking. I explored other cars:...

Bottomline
I wanted to thank forward the forum members by writing this and just realized even more how difficult it is to compile a review; hats off to all of you for providing this wealth of information freely available to everyone.
Congratulations and welcome to the TSI family!
Regarding the downshifting issue you mentioned, all of us who have taken the car have felt it unanimously... And it's the same case with Polo GT TSI owners too... I think VW can sort it out with a ECU-transmission remap.... A team bhp member though keenly noticed that it doesn't happen in sports mode, and it's true so far for my experience...
Yes the tires are a bit noisy... A SA suggested Michelin tires instead which are apparently better but haven't met anyone who has tried them yet...
Do share an average FE that you are getting in the city
Cheers
aadilnaik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 12:08   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

Yeah i guess i went a little overboard with the statement. I dont have proof but i have seen it happen. Its not directed at all VW Dealers and i am not trying to stir a controversy at all.
nik_kapur is offline   Reply With Quote