Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 26th November 2013, 08:57   #286
BHPian

Default Re: VW Vento TSI Launched at Rs.9.99 lakhs

Just a quick update on 700Km roundtrip.

The Tsi (be it Polo or Vento) is an effortless highway milemuncher. It is very comfortable between 100-120 and considering the state of our roads, probably the best speeds to maintain for a relaxed drive. Did manage to get the car up to 140 on an open streach for about 2 mins and the stability is rock solid.

My wife had the best sleep without any jerks in a long time while my son 4 year old son and kept talking about cars, mountains, sky, etc. Bottom line, the cabin is pretty well insulated for having conversations.

Gripes:
Brakes: Brakes are wowefully inadequate. Often with the truckers pulling in to the fast lane, the safest best I had was to switch it down 2 gears and bring it to 5th along with braking to make a safe slow down. I feel a pad upgrade and xds is in order, maybe even a full brake upgrade.

Headlights: Lousy at best. My Fiesta Classic had one of my alltime favorite headlights (after the more expensive C-class).

Horn: While it may seem loud, it just seems to get muffled while moving along at 100+ and I don't think it's loud enough.

Childseat: Mounting either in the center or the side, the optional anti-whiplash hook can't be mounted anywhere. I need to find an extension belt and run it somehow into the trunk of the car for a more secure mouting point. Don't get me wrong, it's plenty safe, but I just like having all the points, optional or otherwise securly fastened.

Ipod: Connectivity was a hit or miss. Swapping Ipods while driving meant that the the OEM radio, didn't pick up the new Ipod. The songs were displaying, tracks could be controled, but no music was coming out of it.

The way it worked for me.
Turn off radio, uplug Ipod, turn off car, turn on car, plug in ipod, turn on radio, then it recognized, anything out of this sequense resulted in no music.

Overall:

Milage: 13.7, which came down to about 11.4 on my brief 140 run. This was with the car boot fully loaded and 3 people in the car.

Sidenote: I'm glad I got the 3M PPF on the front bumper as there were about 5 instances of sandblasting from the trucks in front as they went over ruts or expansion joints on the road.

Tires: OEM Appolo tires are predictable. One emergency brake for an unmarked speedbump did get them squealing like a mouse.

Tire Pressure: Started with 33psi all around and in my brief stop for breakfast immediately pulled out the pressure guage and it was at 35psi.

Bottomline: Very happy with a very predictable car, but will take the Merc the next time around.
stumpz is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 10:45   #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpz View Post

The Tsi (be it Polo or Vento) is an effortless highway milemuncher. It is very comfortable between 100-120 and considering the state of our roads, probably the best speeds to maintain for a relaxed drive. Did manage to get the car up to 140 on an open streach for about 2 mins and the stability is rock solid.

===========

Bottomline: Very happy with a very predictable car, but will take the Merc the next time around.
Oh so you had that issue with your audio system
too? Similar situation in my system on the Vento TSI? Happens with Bluetooth as well as USB connection, and occurs with iPhones, HTC and Samsung devices... Complained and finally got a replacement approved... Takes a long while to get it, but the Service Station says it has arrived today...

Last edited by khan_sultan : 26th November 2013 at 11:45. Reason: Please quote only the relevant part of the messages.
aadilnaik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 12:10   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpz View Post
Tire Pressure: Started with 33psi all around and in my brief stop for breakfast immediately pulled out the pressure guage and it was at 35psi.
That is expected. As the tires run, pressure on the tires increase. Always check the pressure on cold tires, something like the most reliable machine closet to the start of journey.
Quote:
You should at-least for long travels where the bigger Germans excel. Most likely, you will end up with the same FE.
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 13:42   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
That is expected. As the tires run, pressure on the tires increase. Always check the pressure on cold tires, something like the most reliable machine closet to the start of journey.
Exactly that. Based on my racing years I know regardless, the pressures will go up. I've had racing slicks shoot from 28psi to 41psi depending on the track. Granted that was a 350+bhp STI, but the fundamentals remain the same. That's why I always go lower pressure to start with, which will optimize when I'm on the road. I only do this on longer drives and not for the short city drives.
stumpz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 14:17   #290
BHPian

Can anyone post a bit detailed test drive comparison of the Vento TSI and the Linea T-Jet? I know one is DSG and the other manual, but it would be great to have an expert's view of the drive factor.

Thanks in advance!
Tats07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 14:33   #291
Senior - BHPian

Linea +ves
Better overall comfort levels during a ride
Feels slightly more powerful and connected to the road
Way way more cheaper. Around < 10 OTR after all discounts.
Steering feels very connected
Expected to be cheaper on maintaince cost compare to the vento.

Vento TSI +ves
Auto convinience. Linea box is rubberish and has long throw.
Better FE in all conditions
Slightly better rear legroom
Better City Steering feel for masses. Enthusiants would not like this though it is direct
Way superior interior quality

Common on both
5th passenger unwelcome
Excellant highway manners
Bluetooth, climate control, addon features are good on both top ends.
dipen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 17:50   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Linea +ves

Vento TSI +ves
Auto convinience. Linea box is rubberish and has long throw.
Better FE in all conditions
Slightly better rear legroom
Better City Steering feel for masses. Enthusiants would not like this though it is direct
Way superior interior quality

Common on both
5th passenger unwelcome
Excellant highway manners
Bluetooth, climate control, addon features are good on both top ends.
So which one would an enthusiast pick, purely on driving pleasure, if DSG/MT factor were to be ignored?
Tats07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 18:02   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
So which one would an enthusiast pick, purely on driving pleasure, if DSG/MT factor were to be ignored?
Ideally I would not ignore MT vs AT as it is a significant factor in the fun element.

If resale, brand conciousness, relatively older technology and comparatively lower FE (10-15 %) are not so important, it is the Linea. Resale is almost irrelevant if the car will be surely retained for 5+ years.

If fun is acceptable in an AT form, gas the pedel and have fun in city, highway; it is the Vento TSI.

Dont decide based on above, have a test drive and see which tingles your senses better. Linea's rubbery shift is not to everyone's liking.

On a side note, used laura TSI can also be considered.
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 22:01   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Linea +ves
I believe if i am correct, below are also available only in LINEA/Punto
1)FPS(fire prevention system). Probably the name might be wrong. The functional aspect is that in case of fire, the fuel supply is stopped to engine.
2) you can switch off the airbags if you feel you might not need them. This I am not sure how it will help us, but I believe this is one unique feature of FIAT.
Balaji31582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 22:28   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post

2) you can switch off the airbags if you feel you might not need them. This I am not sure how it will help us, but I believe this is one unique feature of FIAT.
You can switch off only the passenger airbag. Useful when you are travelling alone, God forbid, in case of a crash, you pay one airbag less.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 23:00   #296
BHPian

Friends need your advise, I am running into a last moment confusion. I have already booked a Polo GT but now getting serious second thoughts on its practicality as the only family car. Though, earlier I had made up my mind that for a small nuclear family like mine (2+1) and wifey and me work in same office, Polo should be good enough for 99% of usage. However, today while coming back Wifey mentioned that her family are coming over next month :( , and I greeted with that's nice how about if Polo arrives before that. She was not very happy, saying our present car (fiesta) is much more comfortable for 5 people. With this I am wondering if I should make a switch to Vento TSI, I've always been fond of the Blue colour, not available in Polo GT. I had earlier driven Vento AT (6 speed torque conv), and found that impressive too, and was close to booking that one, when heard of TSI/ DSG Combo coming in Vento.

My question to all those who have made the switch from Polo and Vento, what were there reasons? Do they now still feel a strong value proposition of 2L+, for that extra boot and rear leg room?
jha.shailesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 23:58   #297
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jha.shailesh View Post
My question to all those who have made the switch from Polo and Vento, what were there reasons? Do they now still feel a strong value proposition of 2L+, for that extra boot and rear leg room?
Yes for me. When I look at Polo and Vento, the Vento makes more sense to me.

While the Polo is very similar and can you give you same level of fun, it's the Vento that can double as a practical and fun car in one.

I would pick the Vento TSI over the Polo any day. Biggest reason is that I am 6 feet tall and it is almost impossible for anyone to sit behind me in the Polo but manageable in the Vento. The Vento not only has the boot space but has the additional rear seat space/legroom which is important in the situations you mentioned. If the space was similar and only boot was the difference then the Polo would have won.

Also, Vento has additional stuff like leatherette seats, front armrest...

Last edited by Vid6639 : 27th November 2013 at 00:03.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 00:23   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
Can anyone post a bit detailed test drive comparison of the Vento TSI and the Linea T-Jet? I know one is DSG and the other manual, but it would be great to have an expert's view of the drive factor.

Thanks in advance!
Let me try since I have been shopping recently and pretty similar dilemma:

1. T-Jet is built like a tank as many have said and I agree, open the bonnet and you'll just feel the weight. The ORVM can do a full 180, so if a Biker hits your Mirror chances are it would just fold to the other side. Good feature.
Though Vento is great too but in comparison Linea T-Jet is better.

2. Acceleration / Power - Line T-jet is again better, the spec sheet should tell the difference, 207 NM from 2200 rpm and 175 from 1500 rpm. So here Vento TSI has minimal lag, you'll have to try hard to notice it. In Tjet is prominant, but the final push in the seat affect is more in Tjet.

3. Interiors - this is where things start to swing in Vento's favour, and in my case it was a decision making factor. In Vento everything is where it should be, no cheap gimmicks or space station stuffs, neat organized and functional. Linea is not bad, but just odd and sometimes irritating. I liked the leather quality on the steering wheel, even the quality of seats and the off-white looked much better than beige (probably because we have seen it enough). The stereo seems to be an after-thought and in a weird colour, speakers are best when not used. The dash doesn't seem well laid or thought out. But, I love the dials with white background.

4. Driveability - This is where Vento TSI starts to take lead. TSI/ DSG Combo offers unparalleled driving experience. Reminded me of Subaru Outback that I drove in US. I was manual Tranny guy, who even in the US use to drive the cars in tiptronic modes, but DSG gave me all the reason to use Auto again. Now, here T-Jet brilliance becomes subjective, purists versus realists - The long throws while changing gears reminded me of old age Maruti cars, and the long clutch travel felt little odd. But, steering feedback was much better in Linea. However, the steering wheel seems a bit too much intruding, it kind of feels right in your chest as you enter, and since there is no reach adjustments, that is where it remains. So depending on your built, the comfort can range from perfectly alright to

5. Boot space - Tjet is far ahead, especially those hydraulics in the boot are big space saver.

6. Rear Seat - Though recline angles and under thigh support would depend on the built of the person and personal preferences. Overall, I felt leg room is better in the Vento, but seating is more comfortable in T-jet.

7. Ground clearance - Big factor in my decision, Tjet's 185 mm is simply SUVish, never think of those irritating speed breakers just glide over them. In Vento TSI you have to slow down considerably. But, personally I found that because of the automatic tranny I tend to slow down more and feel comfortable in doing so without thinking about car stalling. Moreover, the inertia to downshift while performing several movements of "clutch-break dance" is not there is an auto. So it kinds of balances in some ways.

8. Exterior looks - Now for me it depends on day of the week, mood at the time and colour of the vehicle. On most days, I'd like T-jet.
jha.shailesh is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 06:57   #299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I made a switch from the polo tsi to the vento tsi. My current car was the sx4. Although initially I thought I could adjust with the smaller boot and less interior space, after i booked, some instances popped up again
Where the sx4 boot was invaluable. So in my opinion if you are used to a sedan like boot , then going for the polo will always make you feel a little compromised. I switched because I did not want to regret few months down the line and feel I should have stretched my budget.
Another calculation I did was this. The difference between the regular polo top end and the tsi is close to 2.5 lakh (on road Bangalore without considering any disc ounts). But the difference between the vento top end and the vento tsi is only around 1.5 lakh. In general I have noticed that the auto version of any car is around 1 lakh more that the equivalent manual. Here you are getting the tsi dsg combo for 1.5 lakh more over a regular vento. So I feel it's more value for money.

A side benefit. With the polo lot of people will either say 'oh you downgraded' or ' you spent 9 lakhs on a hatchback' . you won't hear that with the vento.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2013, 07:42   #300
BHPian

Quote:
I too made the switch after booking the Polo Tsi to the Vento Tsi. I believe all the folks before this have addressed all the points that I would have.

+ves:
There are a few instances that made the case a valid one.
  1. Wife could not sit behind me comfortably when I had the seat in my driving position. ie, more leg rear leg room
  2. With the kids' (4 years old) car seat, he kept kicking the back seat. I felt like I was on a longhaul flight with a bratty kid kicking the seat behind me. Yes I did take the car seat and installed it in the Polo before taking a test drive.
  3. Fake leather is a nice thing to have for fluid spills from the kid
  4. Seemed a little more quieter inside the vento than the polo espc. in the rear of the car.
  5. High speed stability in OEM trim seems to favor the Vento.
-ves:
  1. You don't get any distinguishing add-ons. Atleast on the polo you get a badge on the front to tell it apart. Insiginificant, yes, but still something that should have been added
  2. Plane-jane rims; the Polo has much better looking rims
  3. Basic rubber pedal set, nothing sporty
  4. The OEM fogs on the Polo seem to have better throw than the round ones on the vento
All this being said, one of the other reasons why I swtiched was the availability. I have a very bad back problem and I needed a car pronto, and the Vento was available (after waiting for the Polo for 4 1/2 months and no end is sight).

For 95% of the time the Polo will suffice, but when you add in the "family factor" the Vento wins on practicality.

Case in Point the following were dumped in the Vento on my most recent trip.
2 Draw Suitcases
1 Duffle bag
1 Kids cycle with trainer wheels
1 Huge Camera bag and tripod
Misc gifts

With all this in the trunk, I didn't have anything inside the car except the passengers and the childs' car seat. I drive by myself to work and back 275+ days a year, for the remaining days a boot makes sense.

I hope this helps.
stumpz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote