Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 5th October 2013, 11:05   #46
BHPian

Default Re: September 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

I would like to add to the statistics with figures for segment-wise market share over a period of last month, 3 months and 6 months. These numbers give a fair picture of each vehicles market share within its own segment and whether they are gaining or losing.

Segmentation might not be perfect but I have done it to the best of my knowledge. I have left out some vehicles that have negligible impact in overall market share. Have also highlighted (in yellow) top 10 sellers for each month over the past six months. Hope this is helpful.

Points to Note:
- Grand i10 and i20 together snatching market share from the Swift, inspite of Swift continuing on a robust sales path
- Honda Amaze's market share almost constant over the past six months, supposedly due to capacity constraints
- Wagon R sales consistently increasing over the last six months. Sting Ray launch contributing to the sales
- i10 taking a hit possibly from Wagon R Sting Ray and its own brother Grand i10. Drastic decline in sales last month
- EcoSport maintaining a strong market share but Duster fighting back. Terrano might make the whole urban SUV pie bigger, but possibly EcoSport will rule for a while
- Bolero and Scorpio going strong inspite of being fairly old products
- Elantra & Corolla steadily increasing their market share at the expense of the Laura. Launch of Octavia will give a tough fight to both.
- Superb still going strong with Accord and Camry playing catchup. Passat sales taking a hit last month

Click on an image to enlarge / zoom:

September 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg

September 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg

September 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg

September 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg
jessie007 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 15:05   #47
BHPian

Post Re: September 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

A good news as far as Maruti is concerned. They were already boosting their YOY sales in the previous and now they would be on top of the world.

Being a Maruti owner I love each and every aspect but their one sided approach is not appreciable. The marketing for swift to heavy in comparison to Ritz. I am pretty disappointed by the sales figures of Maruti Ritz. I understand most of them will say "Ritz is bought only if Swift has waiting period", yes might be true but at the end Ritz isn't at any means less rated to swift, except for the looks.

Hyundai Grand is a true surprise. I did not expect it to jump to 8k in just one month. But somehow it has managed to steal some numbers from i20 and most from i10. It's a i10 killer.

More than success I would like to stress a bit on potential cars that haven't managed to clock some sales figures:

Chevrolet Sail U-Va - It is definitely a car that shouldn't be doing just three figures. It a practical car and drive quality is good and is responsive. There is great ownership review that will give us an idea about this car http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...t-service.html

source: wonderful review by bblost

Fiat - Not much to say about these two cars they are among 'The Best' and they have their share of customers. Good to see them raising. Wonder what will happen when classic is launched. It would be mixed reaction for customers(Fiat customers).

Ford Figo - All said and done about this car. It's a far better car than the figures indicate. Only two reasons I can see for this car not clocking great numbers is the outdated design and less power.

Not much to say about Honda car sales. They are starting to sprint and the new plant will just make things better. Hopefully they do not experiment too much and end up with duds.

Hyundai - I think hyundai is doing good except for i10 grand killing it's own team mates.

Mahindra Xylo - Just have no answer for such poor sales figures. It has better engine than Innova, it is more equipped than Innova, it has more power, it's engine is much quieter, Ride quality is good and close to 2 and half lakhs lesser than Innova for the base model itself (I can buy a used city for that price )

I am skipping Maruti. I have already expressed my disappointment towards Ritz sales.

Nissan - Just waiting for Terrano. They are just not having any success formula with their Sunny (a very practical car)

Skoda has wonderful cars but their ASS has killed their reputation and let's wait for Volkswagon's approach.

Tata Aria - Haven't tata introduced price-cut Tata Aria and further giving discounts? Why is it still not selling? It should at the least clock 3 figures.

Volkswagen Jetta - What? just 49? Why? The best handling car in the league has only 49 customers?
Kratos453 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 15:26   #48
BHPian

Alto is selling nearly 4 times as its direct competitor Eon. Eon is head and shoulders above Alto in every department but Hyundai is holding it back with the unrefined 3 cylinder 800cc engine. Hyundai need to plonk the 4 cylinder irde2 engine and sell it along with 800cc option well. With this they will provide a broader choice to prospective customers.
needforspeed88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 16:17   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
Alto is selling nearly 4 times as its direct competitor Eon. Eon is head and shoulders above Alto in every department but Hyundai is holding it back with the unrefined 3 cylinder 800cc engine. Hyundai need to plonk the 4 cylinder irde2 engine and sell it along with 800cc option well. With this they will provide a broader choice to prospective customers.
Whatever engine Hyundai puts in the Eon, it's never going to sell as much as the alto nor even close to it. If people bought cars on the basis of it's merits alone, Eon would definitely sell more than alto. But unfortunately, it's not the truth.
Old 5th October 2013, 18:24   #50
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm not good at working on spreadsheets, so apologies for the ordinary quality of the chart. It represents the diesel-petrol sales ratio in the form of n : 1 approximated to the nearest 0.25 (instead of 0.5) for better accuracy. So a value of 2 on the x-axis means diesels outsold petrols in the ratio of ~ 2 : 1 for that particular month.

If the value touches the green line, it means the sales of diesels equal those of petrols (ratio of 1 : 1) and if it goes below the green line, it means petrols outsell diesels (a scenario which seems unlikely). The portion above the green line can be considered as the x-axis, and that below the green line can be considered as the x'-axis. In such a case, the x-axis and x'-axis do not use the same scale.

Of course, the values contained in this chart represent the total of only those models whose diesel-petrol sales split was available for that particular month (and NOT overall diesel-petrol sales). As usual, petrol sales include factory fitted CNG and LPG bi-fuel models and petrol-electric hybrids.

Name:  Sales Ratio.bmp
Views: 5496
Size:  501.5 KB

The chart represents the following data. Discussion can be found on this thread (Diesel:Petrol Car Sales Ratio. Major Shift in favour of Petrol Cars!).

The diesel-petrol sales split for 2013 so far:

Jan - 41845 : 10185 ~ 4 : 1

Feb - 13466 : 3900 ~ 3.5 : 1

Mar - 38714 : 8212 ~ 4.75 : 1

Apr - 40918 : 12025 ~ 3.5 : 1

May - 33846 : 11711 ~ 3 : 1

Jun - 49405 : 24197 ~ 2 : 1

Jul - 46675 : 22018 ~ 2 : 1

Aug - 66542 : 25314 ~ 2.75 : 1

Sep - 70643 : 30793 ~ 2.25 : 1

Last edited by RSR : 5th October 2013 at 18:46. Reason: Including link
RSR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2013, 21:14   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
One thing to be noted that even after Grand i10 sold at 8K level, total sales of Hyundai small cars have not increased. Means the new car has eaten into the numbers of i10, i20, Eon and Santro, rather than into any other car's pie?
I guess this is partly due to Santro. If you take Eon, i10, i10 grand and i20 together, there is a steady growth of 10-12% M-o-M (possibly at the cost of other makers). Throw Santro into the lot, the growth remains flat at 9%. So, there seems to be an upshift in customer preference from santro to eon; and possible from eon to i10 iRDE (split-up of i10 petrol engine would have helped). Nevertheless, Hyundai's hatchbacks as a whole continue to maintain their monthly growth rates. Cannibalization only means Hyundai is extending its spectrum of product portfolio thereby retaining customers within their showrooms.
Old 6th October 2013, 11:11   #52
Senior - BHPian

Gypsy was never a hot seller but still not managing even a single vehicle is indeed surprising and yet in the pre owned segment the prices being quoted are stupendous.
Old 6th October 2013, 13:32   #53
Senior - BHPian

Question Re: September 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

@parry,

Thanks a ton for the most awaited thread of the month and those wonderful statistics.

What has spiked the Ford Classic and the Honda City sales? I guess there werent any offers also in the recent times? Is it the fear of price hikes which made the cars sell more than the usual monthly figures.

I guess introduction of Linea classic has to some extent eaten into Punto's share. i10 entry into the top 10 was indeed a grand affair, the festive season I guess will only increase the sales further.
Old 6th October 2013, 14:07   #54
BHPian

Nice to see the Figo gaining some lost ground. Fiat seems on a slow but steady roll. With the slew of new Fiats in the next few months, Fiat is having better sales numbers. And the linea got 120 units more. Classic effect taken place. Also the Tata Venture sells 300-500 units! I've never seen one on the road. Are these export numbers?
Old 6th October 2013, 14:46   #55

Thanks for the info Parrys. However, I want to know the basis of categorization for the segments (how are the cars clubbed under each segment).
Old 6th October 2013, 16:51   #56
AMP

Thank you Parrys for putting the wonderful analysis!

This month is good for Tata as they are successful in coming out from the free fall. There is not a drastic change but good to see some upward trend.

Maruti again touched the 90K figure after four months. There is a big gap of 60K units between the number 1(Maruti) and Number 2 (Hyundai). Also, do you have noticed that there is not a single dispatch in last three months for models like Grand Vitara, Gypsy and Kizashi. Has Maruti stopped producing these models or are these manufactured on demand? It seems SX4 now has settled at 300 units per month. All the MSIL efforts gone fruitless in reviving the SX4 sales.

Not able to understand what went wrong with Skoda Laura, sudden dip from 200+ unit to simply 2 unit this month?

Last edited by aah78 : 7th October 2013 at 00:49. Reason: Text format tags removed.
Old 6th October 2013, 18:35   #57
BHPian

Angry Re: September 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kratos453 View Post
A good news as far as Maruti is concerned. They were already boosting their YOY sales in the previous and now they would be on top of the world.

Being a Maruti owner I love each and every aspect but their one sided approach is not appreciable. The marketing for swift to heavy in comparison to Ritz. I am pretty disappointed by the sales figures of Maruti Ritz. I understand most of them will say "Ritz is bought only if Swift has waiting period", yes might be true but at the end Ritz isn't at any means less rated to swift, except for the looks.
Being a proud RITZ owner, I cannot but echo your feelings. Elsewhere in the thread also it was mentioned that even though Eon is head and shoulders above Alto, it is outsold 4 to 1. So logic, features, performance goes out the window!
Now my only fear is, like ZEN, Maruti should not give RITZ the boot! I bought the car for 10years use! I shudder to think of the possibility! Somebody please comfort me!
Old 6th October 2013, 21:37   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
Being a proud RITZ owner, I cannot but echo your feelings. Elsewhere in the thread also it was mentioned that even though Eon is head and shoulders above Alto, it is outsold 4 to 1. So logic, features, performance goes out the window!
Now my only fear is, like ZEN, Maruti should not give RITZ the boot! I bought the car for 10years use! I shudder to think of the possibility! Somebody please comfort me!
Chill out buddy! Maruti has already given Ritz a bad boot. I'm sure they'll be 'once bitten twice shy' Jokes apart, doesn't Ritz share most of its technicals with swift? So spare availability shouldn't be a major issue even if Ritz is booted out?
Old 6th October 2013, 22:56   #59
BHPian

TATA is in a very bad shape right now. From the 3rd largest manufacturer to one whose all portfolios are struggling it should be a lesson in quality control and image control.

For Hyundai, Grand i10 has taken away bookings from Santro and i10.

Maruti is rewarded for its trustworthiness and long term reliability. So is Toyota.

VW should offer cars with realistic maintenance costs if they are entertaining any hopes of their vehicles to be mass sellers.

Honda is badly hit by their limited assembly lines capacities.
Old 6th October 2013, 23:51   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post

People are gulping up the Amaze but I doubt success of the IDtec with just 1 car offering it. Moreover, they're still to develop more products around it AND build a new plant. Better they offer their engines to other small players* and earn to make its India-plans work faster!.
Honda had the new city, jazz, mobilio and a small crossover lined up for the idtec. They're going to put it in all their cars in India!!
Closed Thread