Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2013, 18:08   #226
Senior - BHPian
 
IshaanIan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hyd/B'lore
Posts: 2,438
Thanked: 3,135 Times
Default Re: SCOOP Pics! Swift with Suzuki Diesel Engine, Keyless entry / go & cruise control

Fog lights might be more important than DRLs atleast in most of our country, BUT cruise control being useless? Has the guy who wrote this ever driven on a highway? Almost 70% of my highway journeys are done using cruise control because it makes life really easy; cruise at a decent 120-140, brake and steer to avoid stuff and then just push reset.
First aid kits are useless?? he ought to be shot for saying this. Isn't it illegal to not provide a first aid kit on a road going car?
The sunglass holder in my car works perfectly well. Wayfarers, john lenons and aviators, all fit easily next this guy will say glove compartments are useless because they are small in some cars
Temperature gauge? Oh please! Several times, today's ignorant public only knows something is wrong with their car, when the temp needle acts wonky.
As for roof rails and spoilers, you going to tell me that you like your cars looking like bread boxes? These add to the design. We all might as well be buying Lexus LS400s then.

My guess is this genius was asked to do a small write up on some interesting topic like this and 5 minutes before they went to print, he was told they absolutely need 10 features and so he just wrote random stuff.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 18:18   #227
BHPian
 
rockporiom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: GJ-01/Toronto
Posts: 720
Thanked: 760 Times
Default Re: SCOOP Pics! Swift with Suzuki Diesel Engine, Keyless entry / go & cruise control

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Fog lights might be more important than DRLs atleast in most of our country, BUT cruise control being useless? Has the guy who wrote this ever driven on a highway? Almost 70% of my highway journeys are done using cruise control because it makes life really easy; cruise at a decent 120-140, brake and steer to avoid stuff and then just push reset.
First aid kits are useless?? he ought to be shot for saying this. Isn't it illegal to not provide a first aid kit on a road going car?
The sunglass holder in my car works perfectly well. Wayfarers, john lenons and aviators, all fit easily next this guy will say glove compartments are useless because they are small in some cars
Temperature gauge? Oh please! Several times, today's ignorant public only knows something is wrong with their car, when the temp needle acts wonky.
As for roof rails and spoilers, you going to tell me that you like your cars looking like bread boxes? These add to the design. We all might as well be buying Lexus LS400s then.

My guess is this genius was asked to do a small write up on some interesting topic like this and 5 minutes before they went to print, he was told they absolutely need 10 features and so he just wrote random stuff.

Where were you all this time bro no one could have said it better. Cruise cintrol is a real boon unless the person who wrote the write up doesn't know what it is. The most stupid point was temperature gauge, next he woukd say what is the need of a fuel gauge a simple light can indicate low fuel warning

The first aid kits offered are not at all bad. At least I got a soframycin, cotton, bandages, gauzes, crocin and some painkillers which are enough to give first aid till the ambulance arrives in case of an emergency.

Plus the sun glass holders definately work in my car.

Last edited by rockporiom : 20th December 2013 at 18:20.
rockporiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2013, 22:21   #228
Senior - BHPian
 
zenren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CLT/TVM/HYD
Posts: 2,576
Thanked: 1,723 Times
Default Re: SCOOP Pics! Swift with Suzuki Diesel Engine, Keyless entry / go & cruise control

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
My guess is this genius was asked to do a small write up on some interesting topic like this and 5 minutes before they went to print, he was told they absolutely need 10 features and so he just wrote random stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockporiom View Post
Where were you all this time bro no one could have said it better. Cruise cintrol is a real boon unless the person who wrote the write up doesn't know what it is. The most stupid point was temperature gauge, next he woukd say what is the need of a fuel gauge a simple light can indicate low fuel warning
Since both of you have countered most of his 'useless' features, let me take a stab at one 'useless' feature that you didn't mention - the sunroof.

Given the hot summers that we get, a sunroof can do wonders in getting rid of the hot air in the car after it is parked in the sun for a couple of hours. Just open the sunroof and the hot air escapes. Its basic physics that the hot air moves up and hence opening the sunroof is more effective than lowering all four windows.
zenren is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2013, 05:59   #229
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,370
Thanked: 13,344 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Since both of you have countered most of his 'useless' features, let me take a stab at one 'useless' feature that you didn't mention - the sunroof.

Given the hot summers that we get, a sunroof can do wonders in getting rid of the hot air in the car after it is parked in the sun for a couple of hours. Just open the sunroof and the hot air escapes. Its basic physics that the hot air moves up and hence opening the sunroof is more effective than lowering all four windows.
I agree on the physics part but all this is good until someone from the bus puts his face out and spits paan/etc - the situation in India is very dangerous and people sitting in the bus don't even bother to see who is begin before they spit.

If I am given a chance I'll stop all buses that have openable windows - ONLY A/C equipped buses (Volvo 8400)

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2013, 09:20   #230
Senior - BHPian
 
zenren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CLT/TVM/HYD
Posts: 2,576
Thanked: 1,723 Times
Default Re: SCOOP Pics! Swift with Suzuki Diesel Engine, Keyless entry / go & cruise control

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I agree on the physics part but all this is good until someone from the bus puts his face out and spits paan/etc - the situation in India is very dangerous and people sitting in the bus don't even bother to see who is begin before they spit.
Anurag,
I agree that it is possible but the same can happen through an open window too. Does that fear stop us from driving around in cars with the windows rolled down or using two wheelers which is 100% exposed to paan spits.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2013, 09:47   #231
Senior - BHPian
 
amtak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Mumbai - The city of Sea Link!!!
Posts: 2,782
Thanked: 342 Times
Default Re: SCOOP Pics! Swift with Suzuki Diesel Engine, Keyless entry / go & cruise control

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Here is my personal take. I don't get distracted when a BMW or Audi comes from the opposite side but an i20 DRL is too bright and distracts me sometimes.

In places where there are chances of fog during the couple of months of winter, it might be useful. Won't the front and rear fog lamps serve the same purpose? Why should we have it always turned on across the country even in areas where it never has a purpose?
Totally respect your view here. Just to quote my examle; my first car (zen Lxi) didnt have fogs as a standard feature; I got them retrofitted at MASS; My neighbourhood uncle asked me, where is the fog in Mumbai? This was in 2005; Circa 21.12.2013, I have to switch on my headlights and fogs at 8.15 AM in the morning on Ghodbunder road as the visibility is just 100 meters.

Times are changing faster than we anticipated. What may be fancy feature today might be lifesaver in the future. lights of any form; as long as they do not blind the oncoming traffic will be welcomed by me. Atleast DRL's are better than switching on hazard lights and driving all the way
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2013, 10:05   #232
Senior - BHPian
 
zenren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: CLT/TVM/HYD
Posts: 2,576
Thanked: 1,723 Times
Default Re: SCOOP Pics! Swift with Suzuki Diesel Engine, Keyless entry / go & cruise control

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Totally respect your view here. Just to quote my examle; my first car (zen Lxi) didnt have fogs as a standard feature; I got them retrofitted at MASS; My neighbourhood uncle asked me, where is the fog in Mumbai? This was in 2005; Circa 21.12.2013, I have to switch on my headlights and fogs at 8.15 AM in the morning on Ghodbunder road as the visibility is just 100 meters.

Times are changing faster than we anticipated. What may be fancy feature today might be lifesaver in the future. lights of any form; as long as they do not blind the oncoming traffic will be welcomed by me. Atleast DRL's are better than switching on hazard lights and driving all the way
Just to make it clear, I'm not against the DRLs or fogs. I'm just against the driver not being given a choice to switch it off when not needed.

Something similar is the reverse horn. It is helpful when you are in a crowded place but a nuisance when you have to reverse into your parking lot in the middle of the night. I have reverse horn in my Zen but it is wired via a switch so that I can choose when to turn it on.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2013, 11:36   #233
BHPian
 
indian21r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 733
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: SCOOP Pics! Swift with Suzuki Diesel Engine, Keyless entry / go & cruise control

I am really happy that Swift is getting all these new features. Would have picked the top end if not for the fact that I already own one.

Off topic: I was going through the list on Autocar and it was such a disappointment. When I commented saying it was an absurd list, the comment was deleted in a matter on minutes.

Rather than deleting my comment, Autocar should take down the list before it embarrasses itself any further.
indian21r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2013, 00:04   #234
Distinguished - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 3,256
Thanked: 4,983 Times
Default Re: SCOOP Pics! Swift with Suzuki Diesel Engine, Keyless entry / go & cruise control

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post

Off topic: I was going through the list on Autocar and it was such a disappointment. When I commented saying it was an absurd list, the comment was deleted in a matter on minutes.
.
Autocar seems to have lost their professionalism recently. I have come across that their quality of reviews have come down too. Thank god the expert journalist did not regard ABS and Airbags as useless citing the common word of mouth - "Not required for our traffic conditions or slow driving". The same people will publish another article saying how we get stripped down equipment in our cars compared to foreign counterparts in case manufacturers did not provide these 'useless' parts. Company offers a part. Need not imply everyone must and should use it. There will be someone who will use some feature.

Coming to how useful cruise control is, roads these days are being improved. I miss CC on my cars whenever I travel on the highway. I like to keep a steady pace, be it 80/100/120kmh depending upon the traffic and road. I have found out many opportunities wherein I can let the car cruise automatically instead of keeping a light foot on the A pedal. Hence it may not make sense for a pedal to the metal driver or even a newbie driver, as some people tend to brake frequently and accelarate later even if there is a minor disturbance.

How come there are no spyshots lately? Guess everyone interested in this thread settled for a current gen car Anyways you guys caught a good deal no arguments. Also if one is looking for a second car with a bigger car at home, these features may not be a deal breaker aint it not?

Last edited by audioholic : 23rd December 2013 at 00:08.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 07:03   #235
BHPian
 
vibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 881
Thanked: 845 Times
Default

Came across something interesting two days back on FC road. A swift Ldi (previous generation), with DDIS imprinted on it being driven around by a guy in blue uniform. The car had 'Under test ARAI Govt. of India' stickered atleast 6-7 places on the cars. The registeration was a permanent one.

Why is ARAI testing the cars outside its facilities?
Why is it a previous generation swift?
If it is a mileage test, why on the previous generation swift and why on DDIS? Anything new coming up wrt DDIS?

Name:  ForumRunner_20140103_064805.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  100.8 KB

Last edited by moralfibre : 3rd January 2014 at 07:41. Reason: Fixed attachments.
vibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 09:25   #236
BHPian
 
desiaztec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 55
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Suzuki might still be retaining the same terminology for their indigenous diesel motor. DDIS is after all a MS copyright term.
desiaztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 09:58   #237
Senior - BHPian
 
romeomidhun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,633
Thanked: 1,903 Times
Default Re: SCOOP Pics! Swift with Suzuki Diesel Engine, Keyless entry / go & cruise control

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Came across something interesting two days back on FC road. A swift Ldi (previous generation), with DDIS imprinted on it being driven around by a guy in blue uniform. The car had 'Under test ARAI Govt. of India' stickered atleast 6-7 places on the cars. The registeration was a permanent one.

Why is ARAI testing the cars outside its facilities?
Why is it a previous generation swift?
If it is a mileage test, why on the previous generation swift and why on DDIS? Anything new coming up wrt DDIS?

Attachment 1186189
Just like the Dzire Tour, is a cut-price "Swift Tour" coming in old body and new Suzuki Diesel engine?
romeomidhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 10:02   #238
BHPian
 
good.car-ma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 157
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: SCOOP Pics! Swift with Suzuki Diesel Engine, Keyless entry / go & cruise control

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Fog lights might be more important than DRLs atleast in most of our country, BUT cruise control being useless? Has the guy who wrote this ever driven on a highway? Almost 70% of my highway journeys are done using cruise control because it makes life really easy; cruise at a decent 120-140, brake and steer to avoid stuff and then just push reset.
First aid kits are useless?? he ought to be shot for saying this. Isn't it illegal to not provide a first aid kit on a road going car?
The sunglass holder in my car works perfectly well. Wayfarers, john lenons and aviators, all fit easily next this guy will say glove compartments are useless because they are small in some cars
Temperature gauge? Oh please! Several times, today's ignorant public only knows something is wrong with their car, when the temp needle acts wonky.
As for roof rails and spoilers, you going to tell me that you like your cars looking like bread boxes? These add to the design. We all might as well be buying Lexus LS400s then.

My guess is this genius was asked to do a small write up on some interesting topic like this and 5 minutes before they went to print, he was told they absolutely need 10 features and so he just wrote random stuff.
Cruise control is used by very very few people. Most people don't even understand what it does or have a poor driving style (accelerate till you are on the next guy's bumper and then brake till the guy behind is on yours). So although it is useful, in a broader sense it may not be as essential as some other features.

First aid kit - MUST!!!!

Roof rails - well, its subjective. I think they ruin the looks of some cars and add to some others. But utility-wise, have you ever seen them being used except on Sumos or Ambis?

Agree with all the other features you mentioned. They definitely add value and the article has been written without thinking about the bigger picture.
good.car-ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2014, 11:14   #239
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,449
Thanked: 6,438 Times
Default Re: SCOOP Pics! Swift with Suzuki Diesel Engine, Keyless entry / go & cruise control

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Just like the Dzire Tour, is a cut-price "Swift Tour" coming in old body and new Suzuki Diesel engine?
Don't think you were serious about the comment.

I do NOT see a market for this. Maruti was quite intelligent in NOT ruining the brand value of Dzire and waited to release the Tour after the next gen was launched. Again the Tour has sufficient boot space for fleet. Swift doesn't score on any points for a cut price model.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2014, 07:12   #240
Senior - BHPian
 
romeomidhun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,633
Thanked: 1,903 Times
Default Re: SCOOP Pics! Swift with Suzuki Diesel Engine, Keyless entry / go & cruise control

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Don't think you were serious about the comment.

I do NOT see a market for this. Maruti was quite intelligent in NOT ruining the brand value of Dzire and waited to release the Tour after the next gen was launched. Again the Tour has sufficient boot space for fleet. Swift doesn't score on any points for a cut price model.
Yes I was not serious when I made the statement, but think of this: Ritz lost the steam when Swift's waiting periods came down, and a 'rear-lift' for it is not coming. Swift diesel is running on discounts due to increased diesel fuel prices as well as i10 diesel, imo. New Celerio is a plain vanilla car that cannot attract a buyer from Swift's segment. Then, to attract more buyers to the showroom, a cut priced old Swift ldi satrting with a price of 5L may be a shortcut for Maruti!
romeomidhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got Keyless entry & go? Your car could be easy to steal Xinger Technical Stuff 46 29th November 2017 21:10
EcoSport DIY: Open the trunk via remote control (For non-keyless entry models) bageherath DIY - Do it yourself 4 31st December 2014 18:23
Dzire Vxi & Vdi - keyless entry to be discontinued! akash_m The Indian Car Scene 13 29th July 2008 17:52
Keyless entry & security for Santro XO.?? sundarpn Modifications & Accessories 10 20th April 2006 09:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:38.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks