Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 16th October 2013, 19:15   #46
BHPian

Default Re: JLR India PR disaster! Salman Khan tweets his frustration on Range Rover breakdow

Why would Salman who must have a huge fleet of exotics and the kind of bindass guy he is, would resort to social media to get his view point across? The point is simple, money may not be an issue to him but time definitely is. Just imagine if his daily drive is frequenting service center for the same issue several times any body would get irritated. Salman is clearly not happy with the kind of answers he has been given each time his vehicle has been sent to the service station. The kind of excuse being given is so ridiculous.. I mean attributing a vehicle's weight for changing brake pads 9 times in 18 months is something hard to digest for anybody. Every bloke has the right to speak out irrespective of his social status. I am happy that he has come out and made a statement as his voice carries a lot more weight.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 16th October 2013 at 19:17.
needforspeed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 19:27   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
The Problem with "Premium" cars in India, is that the support staff who are responsible to attend to them, have not evolved to be "Premium"
I would disagree, I think the support staff have evolved to become too premium than the premium customers, that they have forgot the concept of customer service and "customer first"in the process of evolution.

They only thing they care about is your money.

Disclaimer: This is my perception that I have formed based what I read on the internet, and I have no first hand experience.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 19:50   #48
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: JLR India PR disaster! Salman Khan tweets his frustration on Range Rover breakdow

Salman Khan's Range Rover on a flatbed spotted almost an year ago by a bhpian.

Source: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3003763 (PICS : How flatbed tow trucks would run out of business without German cars!)
Attached Thumbnails
JLR India PR disaster! Salman Khan tweets his frustration over Range Rover breakdown-20121229_230815.jpg  

//M is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 19:55   #49
BHPian

1. The Indian consumer laws are archaic and does not value the consumer satisfaction as much as the western countries do. To top it off, for luxury cars, India is not a big market yet and unless we reach there in terms of volumes, the consumer voice will not be heard and acted upon by the managment.

2. Irrespective of the relevance of the public rant of Salman Khan, I liked that the issue got the attention otherwise a normal consumer would never hope to get and hopefully Range Rover wakes up.
petrolveins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 20:03   #50
Team-BHP Support

Nobody seems to be commenting on what is already in the thread title: that this is a PR *disaster* for Tata JLR. Thanks to Salman's incredible clout with the masses, every Tom, Dick and Harilal knows that he is upset with his Range Rover.

Unmitigated disaster at that. If I were JLR's head of service, I would have ensured that Salman Khan's vehicle is fixed for good the very first time it came in. It's too late now to do anything about it- damage is done.
noopster is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 20:31   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: JLR India PR disaster! Salman Khan tweets his anger on Range Rover breakdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Why the hype ??! Just because he is Salman Khan ? What about the cases of normal people getting lemons when they buy Audis and Mercs ?
Normal people also scream & shout... but nobody cares....so they suffer in silence.

When a celebrity voices his discontent, everyone takes notice

So we should be thanking Salman Khan for bringing a large corporation to its knees & force them to clean up their act.....hopefully something good will come out of it long term...that we (aka normal people) can all benefit

Other celebs would've probably pulled strings to have the car replaced for free silently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Such incidents do happen with cars ranging from Audis,Mercs,Beemers although they may not be film stars but general public and we are quite aware of all of them.
I'm confused. You mean they are common on Audis,Mercs,Beemers but not on JLR vehicles?

Last edited by Mpower : 17th October 2013 at 18:10.
Mpower is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 21:58   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Nobody seems to be commenting on what is already in the thread title: that this is a PR *disaster* for Tata JLR. Thanks to Salman's incredible clout with the masses, every Tom, Dick and Harilal knows that he is upset with his Range Rover.

Unmitigated disaster at that. If I were JLR's head of service, I would have ensured that Salman Khan's vehicle is fixed for good the very first time it came in. It's too late now to do anything about it- damage is done.
I have a feeling the service centre must be dealing with cars that belong to all kinds of powerful people. Notice I said cars and not' people'. I doubt they expect to deal with Salman Khan himself.His driver/assistant/man Friday must be enquiring about the car. And I bet they pad his bills too!

They must have thought Salman Khans life is too good to worry about his car

But this thread has opened my mind towards the concept of negative marketing.with the rise of Twitter and social media, maybe brands will offer replacements of products gone bad in return for no tweets/FB posts.
drsingh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2013, 22:02   #53
Team-BHP Support

9 brake pads in 18 months or so is ridiculous. And what the hell is this "heavy car" concept? When they came to India, JLR had an awesome showroom and pathetic service. Looks like there is no change even today.
Don't know how they are doing today, but in the past, Land Rover were consistently at the bottom of the table in reliability surveys all over the world. Wonder if Salman did his homework before taking the plunge. "Salman, Bigg Boss chahate hain, aap confession room mein aa jaaye"
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 06:04   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post

I have a feeling the service centre must be dealing with cars that belong to all kinds of powerful people. Notice I said cars and not' people'. I doubt they expect to deal with Salman Khan himself.His driver/assistant/man Friday must be enquiring about the car. And I bet they pad his bills too!
But Salman Khan isn't just another VIP. He is a superstar. Personally I find it inexplicable but there is no denying the man is a legend to a certain demographic!

Also knowing celebrities, not just in India but everywhere, the service station would definitely know it was Salman's car being brought in for service. The celebrity's sense of entitlement knows no bounds!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 06:39   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

And not even 0.001 percent of those tom,dick or harilal have the means or the brains to buy a Range Rover. A Range Rover customer will still buy a Range Rover, in the same way Sachin Tendulkar being the brand ambassador of BMW is not the reason that someone will buy a BMW.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 07:23   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
And not even 0.001 percent of those tom,dick or harilal have the means or the brains to buy a Range Rover. A Range Rover customer will still buy a Range Rover, in the same way Sachin Tendulkar being the brand ambassador of BMW is not the reason that someone will buy a BMW.
Got to agree with you on this. How else would one explain Ferrari and Lamborghini's sales? Same goes for the "lemon" Mercs which tortured their owners in the recent past.
When you buy one of these luxury cars, just do some research and know what you are getting into.
Among all of these, BMW seems to have the best PR and warranty. But, I won't say their record exactly clean either.
In general, Reliability + Luxury = LEXUS. And I don't even like their cars.

Last edited by Aditya : 17th October 2013 at 07:25.
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 14:47   #57
BANNED

Default Re: JLR India PR disaster. Salman Khan tweet his anger due to his broken down Range R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Sorry... It does not works that way. In fact you are playing with words. So stop doing that. If the pads were changed on 9 different occassions while doing R&D then that's what the end user will say. Changed 9 times. Why you had to do that over 9 iterations is entirely your headache as the ASS. I as a user am not (should not) bothered with whether that made only 2 changes for the entire set!
Your response can be justified more in terms of an emotional outburst from a frustrated customer rather than accuracy of content or intrinsic logic. Emotional compulsions regardless, the effect of just stating "Changed pads 9 times" in the above situation is to distort reality by hiding more facts than it reveals. And just in case you didnt notice it happens to be a play with words, an area in which you seem to have articulated some pretty good advice.

Now all that remains is the relatively simple matter of following that advice.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 18:15   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Haha...u gotta be kidding me !

I happened to read one of Mukesh Ambani's interviews where he mentions that he loves to watch Bollywood movies and his favorite was ...Govinda !!

Same goes for Sachin !

Last edited by Mpower : 17th October 2013 at 19:22.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 18:18   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Haha...u got to be kidding me !

I happened to read one of Mukesh Ambani's interviews where he mentions that he loves to watch Bollywood movies and his favorite was ...Govinda !!

Same goes for Sachin !
We all love Sachin but would I go for a BMW because he endorses it... no! I will buy a BMW because I want a BMW.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2013, 18:36   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We all love Sachin but would I go for a BMW because he endorses it... no! I will buy a BMW because I want a BMW.
Lets leave out you and me (& bhpians). We are car enthusiasts and know about the product & the industry.

On the rest of the population, brand endorsement works!!

Sachin's appeal is so wide that it transgresses across generations,classes, income & education levels....heck! even outside India.
Probably wider than SRK... only difference being he doesn't milk it to death like SRK does

Last edited by Mpower : 18th October 2013 at 18:32.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote