Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 26th October 2013, 10:01   #1
BHPian

Default Rumour: VW Jetta facelift launching soon in India *EDIT: launched!*

Mod Note: Our Jetta Facelift Review has been taken live at this link (2015 Volkswagen Jetta Facelift : A Close Look). Please continue the discussion over on the new thread.

Indian Autos Blog has published the scoop that VW will be introducing a facelifted Jetta very soon.

VW Jetta facelift exterior changes
  • The refreshed Jetta gets a new headlight cluster.
  • It looks exactly like the headlights on the larger VW Passat with its daytime running LEDs arranged in an L-shaped manner.
  • This is the only external change in the refreshed Jetta and other elements like the grille, bumpers and taillights will continue unchanged.
  • Trendline and Comfortline models however also receive new alloy wheel patterns.
VW Jetta facelift feature additions
  • Xenon headlights with LED daytime running lights on the Highline variant
  • Automatic climate control will be a standard feature on all variants
  • Trendline and Comfortline variants get new ‘Sedona’ alloy wheels
  • Headlight washer included on the Highline variant
That pretty much sums up the Jetta refresh. VW India will continue offering the Jetta with two engine options – a petrol and a diesel. The petrol is powered by a 1.4-liter four-cylinder TSI motor outputting 122 PS and 200 Nm of torque. The petrol Jetta’s fuel economy is rated at 14.69 km/l by ARAI.

Powering the diesel variant will be the 2.0-liter TDI engine producing 140 PS and 320 Nm of torque. VW will offer their 6-speed manual transmission (good for 19.33 km/l) and their 6-speed DSG (rated at 16.96 km/l) as gearbox options on this engine.

Source: http://indianautosblog.com/2013/10/v...t-india-101710

Last edited by GTO : 19th February 2015 at 19:33. Reason: Linking to review :)
sarathlal is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 15:24   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Rumour: VW Jetta facelift launching soon in India *EDIT: launched!*

One of my favourite D1 segment sedans. Love driving my brother's 6-speed MT Jetta. That multi-link rear suspension is a significant advantage over the new Octavia diesel's torsion beam setup.

In terms of equipment though, and that's more visible to the layman than an inferior rear suspension, the Octavia blows the Jetta out of the water. This update / facelift is basically VW's answer to Skoda's latest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
Automatic climate control will be a standard feature on all variants
Finally! Always found it strange that the Polo / Vento had climate control, but not the Jetta

I hope that the Jetta Comfortline will finally get a USB stereo input, and the Highline some nice leather seats? Whoever has planned the current trim levels clearly doesn't have a clue of things.

Last edited by GTO : 26th October 2013 at 15:25.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 20:50   #3
BHPian

Well comparing VW Jetta with Skoda Octavia will be like, comparing Serena Williams and Venus Williams, though both are from same mothers, yet have different characteristic and style when they come onto the field.

This time Skoda has not left any leaf unturned to get the Octavia to perfection, barring the Torsion Beam Suspension setup for their Diesels. It just has right ingredients to make it successful. VW would obviously not want to be left behind with their Jetta. It would indeed be interesting this time.

What may mar a splendid product at the hands of Skoda, is their poor ASS, but even VW has similar reputation in the market.
sawnilrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 21:09   #4
BHPian

The jetta is such a lovely car let down by appalling equipment levels. I don't care about climate control much, but Xenons, a sunroof and leather seats with more lateral bolstering (not the pathetic art leather seats) would make it a proper premium sedan.
Old 26th October 2013, 21:13   #5
BHPian

Its no longer a rumor. The Sales Personnel have confirmed. I have asked them for a mail, hoping they would forward it. They said the car is a Jan release. Leather seats and rear sunshade may be included (They are not sure) but the rest are confirmed features for the facelift. The Jetta would look Amazing with these Lamps
Attached Images

Amarendranath is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 23:39   #6
Team-BHP Support

I do hope they add memory for the seats and mirrors. Power seats without memory are useless. Another possibility is them bringing in the 170bhp engine to differentiate it from the Octavia, though this would be unlikely.

Though with xenons, climate control, and leather the Jetta highline would make a strong case for itself now.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 10:40   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I do hope they add memory for the seats and mirrors. Power seats without memory are useless. Another possibility is them bringing in the 170bhp engine to differentiate it from the Octavia, though this would be unlikely.

Though with xenons, climate control, and leather the Jetta highline would make a strong case for itself now.
Bringing a 170bhp Jetta would probably blow the Audi A4 out of the roads at more than half the price and even put it on par with the Passat. It would defintely find a lot more buyers if it did.

Jetta brochure lists "climatic" air conditioner in their comfort and convenience list. Isn't it the normal climate control? Maybe new Jetta owners can shed some light?

They should definitely add a sunroof since the new Octavia looks awesome with the panoramic sunroof!!
Old 28th October 2013, 12:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

VW Cochin has a white car with the exact lights as shown, lying in the showroom for over a month now. Nobody even seems bothered.

The jetta/passat has lost the fancy of the customers in that segment and most are not even aware of the duo.

very capable cars, let down by poor pricing and stupidly specced models..
JayD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 15:40   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

The Jetta needed a facelift from the day it was launched. The lights were just too boring! Especially the rear ones, I hope the facelift gives an LED treatment to the rear along with the front lights.
Old 28th October 2013, 19:02   #10
BHPian

The New Jetta now costs around 23.50laks on Road for the AT model. The features are pretty much it, I could not find the headlamp washers in the price list given.
Old 28th October 2013, 20:12   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by microaubin View Post
Jetta brochure lists "climatic" air conditioner in their comfort and convenience list. Isn't it the normal climate control? Maybe new Jetta owners can shed some light?
The automatic climate control unit on the Polo/Vento is called "climatronic" by VW. "Climatic" is probably the manual AC similar to that in the Laura.

The Jetta is a nice enough car but in my opinion not enough differentiated from the Vento which it outprices by 50-60%. Now with the Octy offering more (and a damn good looker at that) they need the facelift to succeed to hold their own. Somehow I don't think it's enough.
Old 29th October 2013, 05:51   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The Jetta is a nice enough car but in my opinion not enough differentiated from the Vento which it outprices by 50-60%. Now with the Octy offering more (and a damn good looker at that) they need the facelift to succeed to hold their own. Somehow I don't think it's enough.
There is a substantial difference between the Vento and Jetta - size/space/proportions, power and how it is laid down, safety features, ride and handling, brakes, interior space and overall "richness of the driving experience" and feel which justifies that price. There is no comparison.

In looks - that's subjective (rear atleast - quite different and gorgeous, if not the front - in my opinion "smoking"),

About Octavia - Well, it is a matter of weightage - gizmos vs mechanicals , but then - which of the two can be bought aftermarket and set-up so well ? at 20 lacs what does one want to have ?

It is another matter that one has to push VW to experience this car Vs VW pushing the customer. And their snobbery in dealing with customers for Vento's , let alone Jetta's. Which leads many to say - "forget it".

I remember, when I first asked the VW sales rep for a Jetta to test drive, I was reminded that I had an Indigo CS.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 29th October 2013 at 09:14. Reason: fixing the broken quote tags.
hubolt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 09:17   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It's very much justified once you drive the Jetta. The Jetta feels like a proper VW German unlike the Vento which tries to but doesn't have the same solidity as a Jetta.

The ride, handling, engine and overall feel make it very much worth the premium. Infact the Jetta makes the Passat fee redundant as it offers a similar if not better driving characteristics.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 09:50   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed that the price difference of around 10 lakhs (between the Jetta and Vento) is huge, but in my opinion VWs so-called German premium feel start from the Jetta. Both Vento and Polo are probably the best in their segment when it comes to quality, but it does feel like build-to-cost when compared to the bigger siblings from the family. I did a back to back TD of both the cars (Vento and Jetta) a few months back, and somehow the Jetta made me feel justify its price tag. The 2.0 TDI engine, solid and premium feel, DSG all of these aspects worked well for the Jetta. Yes, there was some missing elements like ACC, real leather seats etc., but I personally felt that those aspects were trivial considering the overall package.
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2013, 09:54   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Car sizzlers reveals the VW Jetta Refresh prices!

Refreshed as with..

1 - Xenon Headlamps with LED daytime running lights and headlamp washers (for Highline)

2 - Climatronic Auto A/C for all variants

3 - 16" Sedona alloy wheels for Trendline and Comfortline variants

VW Jetta Refresh ex-showroom prices for the petrol variants in Rest of India

Trendline MT - Rs.13,70,000

Comfortline MT - Rs.15,17,000

VW Jetta Refresh ex-showroom prices for the diesel variants in Rest of India

Trendline MT - Rs.15,03,313

Comfortline MT - Rs.16,50,970

Highline MT - Rs.18,58,178

Highline AT - Rs.19,43,842

http://carsizzler.com/news-detail/00...a-Refresh.html

Last edited by volkman10 : 29th October 2013 at 10:02.
volkman10 is online now   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread