Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2013, 08:18   #136
BHPian
 
giri1.8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 402
Thanked: 230 Times
Default Re: Compact sedan? No thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Isn't it because of the additional value we attach to the three box shape?
This is true in most cases, if practicality was the most important factor in our market, station wagons would have outsold sedans in our market!
giri1.8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 08:24   #137
BHPian
 
k_nitin_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dubai,Hyderabad
Posts: 470
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Compact sedan? No thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
But the question that many here are trying to prodd is that, isn't the runaway success of these cars attributed more to the shape than the practicality.
Compact sedans do not have much practicality in most cases - if the length of the boot is only as much as a laptop bag, you surely cannot manage to fit any suitcases back there. It is better suited for the city when you want to store your shopping bags in the rear but there is little else you can do with the boot space.

A station-wagon would have more boot space but the additional luggage would block rear visibility, and with side view mirrors lasting less than a few hours into the start of the trip (had my side mirrors replaced twice; they didn't even last the drive back home from the car accessories store because of other vehicles ramming into them) a full-length sedan is a better choice.
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 09:10   #138
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 1,007
Thanked: 760 Times
Default Re: Compact sedan? No thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
Compact sedans do not have much practicality in most cases - if the length of the boot is only as much as a laptop bag, you surely cannot manage to fit any suitcases back there. It is better suited for the city when you want to store your shopping bags in the rear but there is little else you can do with the boot space.

A station-wagon would have more boot space but the additional luggage would block rear visibility, and with side view mirrors lasting less than a few hours into the start of the trip (had my side mirrors replaced twice; they didn't even last the drive back home from the car accessories store because of other vehicles ramming into them) a full-length sedan is a better choice.
Have you had an opportunity to check out the Amaze? It's an amazing package in my opinion. The interior and boot space will put some full sized sedans to shame.
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 10:52   #139
Team-BHP Support
 
suhaas307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 8,055
Thanked: 6,602 Times
Default Re: Compact sedan? No thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
Compact sedans do not have much practicality in most cases - if the length of the boot is only as much as a laptop bag, you surely cannot manage to fit any suitcases back there. It is better suited for the city when you want to store your shopping bags in the rear but there is little else you can do with the boot space.
The Amaze has a fairly useful boot and so does the Sail sedan. The Dzire and the botchback () Verito Vibe aren't known to be luggage-haulers though. Some hatchbacks like the Jazz and Figo are better!
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 12:19   #140
Senior - BHPian
 
CARDEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NCR
Posts: 2,699
Thanked: 1,485 Times
Default Re: Compact sedan? No thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Now its VW's turn?
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...-364086.aspx/0

Hope they get the proportions right and not just concentrate on the 4m factor.
With 3970mm length for the hatch, I am wondering why would they make a Dzire out of a Polo, which is one of the most elegant hatches in India. IMO they should first bring the Up! in India & work on its variants, body shapes rather than Polo, which has little scope (unless they manage to pull out the bunny from their hat).

There is an interesting variant for the Euro Rapid, the station-wagon, which looks classy (though it is also bigger than 4m length). If VW can have something similar under 4m for the Polo or probably rear design similar to EcoSport (wrap around glass area), that could give the car a distinct identity, I bet.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 15th November 2013 at 12:22.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 14:39   #141
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,698
Thanked: 3,889 Times
Default Re: Compact sedan? No thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
With 3970mm length for the hatch, I am wondering why would they make a Dzire out of a Polo, which is one of the most elegant hatches in India. IMO they should first bring the Up! in India & work on its variants, body shapes rather than Polo, which has little scope (unless they manage to pull out the bunny from their hat).
VW normally does not mess up on the design aspects, and I read around that the NFS platform (which the Up is based on) is quite flexible. But the question is do they really need something below the Vento. I would say they should look at the space below the Polo, and think about bringing in the Up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP
There is an interesting variant for the Euro Rapid, the station-wagon, which looks classy (though it is also bigger than 4m length). If VW can have something similar under 4m for the Polo or probably rear design similar to EcoSport (wrap around glass area), that could give the car a distinct identity, I bet.
The Rapid Spaceback does look cool, but I donít think they can achieve any kind of price advantage with such an option. Frankly, I think our auto industry will get much better if this 4m rule is taken off.
vb-san is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 14:42   #142
BHPian
 
racer_ash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 427
Thanked: 417 Times
Default Re: Compact sedan? No thank you!

Mods. Can you please add a poll to the thread. This will give an idea of how many actually think that a CS is a VFM proposition compared to their hatchback counterparts.
racer_ash is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 11:38   #143
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sydney, AU
Posts: 844
Thanked: 587 Times
Default Re: Compact sedan? No thank you!

Hope they will finalize the design based on UP! I can not imagine a boot attached Polo or a boot chopped Vento. I saw a rendering of the latter and it's a nightmare. I know it is just another rendering. If they are able to design a compact sedan on UP! platform, they will be able to keep all proportions very well. Something like Honda Amaze.
MaxTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 21:10   #144
BHPian
 
k_nitin_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Dubai,Hyderabad
Posts: 470
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: Compact sedan? No thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
I can not imagine a boot attached Polo or a boot chopped Vento.
Volkswagen Polo sedans do exist - a remember seeing it on Google Images a while back. It does not look awkward; I'm not sure if it is 4m though. If they have to chop the rear to fit it into the 4m tax bracket. The Volkswagen Up has a reduced front to increase the interior room; think of the Tata Nano and you'll know what I mean.
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 22:00   #145
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,698
Thanked: 3,889 Times
Default Re: Compact sedan? No thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
Volkswagen Polo sedans do exist - a remember seeing it on Google Images a while back.
What is sold as Polo sedan in other markets (e.g. Malaysia) is indeed the Vento.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 08:25   #146
BHPian
 
blacksport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 522
Thanked: 462 Times
Default Re: Compact sedan? No thank you!

Amaze might be a good car, BUT, i think it is quite sad that people feel that a built-for-a-price amaze is more aspirational than the jazz which was a much more quality product and a lot more practical.

People felt that at 6L the jazz was too expensive, but are ready to pay more than that for a down-market 3 box compact sedan with weird looks.
blacksport is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 12:34   #147
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 453
Thanked: 192 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Amaze might be a good car, BUT, i think it is quite sad that people feel that a built-for-a-price amaze is more aspirational than the jazz which was a much more quality product and a lot more practical.

People felt that at 6L the jazz was too expensive, but are ready to pay more than that for a down-market 3 box compact sedan with weird looks.
Well said. Our market is unique, perhaps that's why we get unique products such as amaze, dzire, etios, quanto etc... Bad on design, but built for our market. These products aren't sold elsewhere.
harishpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 12:40   #148
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 776
Thanked: 687 Times
Default Re: Compact sedan? No thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Amaze might be a good car, BUT, i think it is quite sad that people feel that a built-for-a-price amaze is more aspirational than the jazz which was a much more quality product and a lot more practical.

People felt that at 6L the jazz was too expensive, but are ready to pay more than that for a down-market 3 box compact sedan with weird looks.
Jazz was a great car at a wrong time. Remember Corsa Sail? Beautiful premium hatch, wrong time. I expect Jazz in 2014 to be a big hit; hopefully with performance tuned engines; 7-8 lakhs range. Will beat i20 hands down.
gsurya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 13:50   #149
BHPian
 
blacksport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: bangalore
Posts: 522
Thanked: 462 Times
Default Re: Compact sedan? No thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
Jazz was a great car at a wrong time. Remember Corsa Sail? Beautiful premium hatch, wrong time. I expect Jazz in 2014 to be a big hit; hopefully with performance tuned engines; 7-8 lakhs range. Will beat i20 hands down.
Maybe. But it will never beat the Amaze. That is the "beauty" of the Indian customer.
blacksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 18:56   #150
BHPian
 
lemedico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Agra, Cambridge
Posts: 80
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post

Jazz was a great car at a wrong time. Remember Corsa Sail? Beautiful premium hatch, wrong time. I expect Jazz in 2014 to be a big hit; hopefully with performance tuned engines; 7-8 lakhs range. Will beat i20 hands down.
The Jazz is such a car that neither does it need a test drive nor a boot space check. The toughest decision is the colour. Come 2014 and I will immediately replace my 2009 jazz with the new one. Minus the climate control and alloy wheels, I am the Happiest owner ever!
lemedico is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The 'Thank You' thread.. Deepz The Indian Car Scene 2 17th June 2007 09:12
Thank You - Brian Lara normally_crazy Shifting gears 19 14th June 2007 14:00
Thank you, TBHP Bangalore! Steeroid The Team-BHP Meet Section 7 9th June 2007 02:20
hello and thank you sohu9 Introduce yourself 2 5th January 2007 22:31
Thank you. Rtech Shifting gears 35 30th December 2005 13:24


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:01.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks