Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 20th July 2006, 10:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

This is a good step forward taken by Maruti. But reading what tech says, I am not so sure they have done a complete and thorough job.
islero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 11:07   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb1
65 ltrs of lpg, isnt that dangerous
65 L tank... it would take around 50 L of LPG... and yes, its absolutely safe.
Samrat Banerjee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 11:13   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy
Hey just went into www.marutiwagonr.com
checked the duo specs...it is mentioned 35 lit petrol tank and 22.5 lit LPG Capacity...

I think u have mistaken somewhere..in 5 lit petrol tank, the car become useless for long travel as you may not get an LPG at remote places. Also I have heard you require petrol at higher speeds...

Abhi
At the press conference yesterday Jagdish Khattar annnounced it would have a full sized petrol tank-- in fact thats one of the advantages pointed out in newpapers reports vis-a-vis a factory fitted CNG vehicles which comes with 5 L petrol tanks... And Abhi- no at higher speeds you do not need to trasfer to petrol mode- I have taken my OHC on the Pune highway at over 150kmph and did not feel the loss of power.
Cheers.
Old 20th July 2006, 11:59   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jathinrao
now ,the only advantage of a SANTRO over a WAGON-R is that it is a 5 seater.otherwise , WAGON-R rocks in all the parameters.ITs now clear that MARUTI is becoming aggresive day by day.
They have fixed that too.. now 3 ppl can sit behind.. taking note of the Santros infamous ad.. and I think they made the corners more curvy and it looks a lot better than before. I think they didn't introduce Vxi with LPG to save Swift Lxi from the pricing overlap
protege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 12:05   #20
BHPian

This is a good move by Maruti..

LPG Wagon R makes lot of sense as a city runabout..and can also be used on long runs with the full sized petrol tank..

LPG is approx. 22 rupees / KG , and with a mileage of 10km , running cost would be Rs.2.2 / KM !!! That is Motorbike territiry !!!!!

There are quite a few LPG bunks here in Bangalore
w 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 12:19   #21
BHPian

Default WagonR LPG Launched - Economy !

How about Rs. 35/ltr Diesel with 18.5 Kmpl delivered with 50% AC ? My 2004 Indica DLS does that!
VooDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 12:38   #22
BHPian

Smile

Yeah Guys, Samrat is right......
Even I got a call from D.D Motors a maruti dealer and the lady told me that the full fuel tank is the main advantage of it over market fitted LPG kits.

Also, If you look at the interiors, they have taken the Steering wheel from highly successful Swift and the instrument panel is also somewhat similar to swift( not completely though).

The main dissapointment was that nothing has been done on center AC consol, they have just made it silver and no major knob design changes.

But, in some things Maruti has again told its competitors that it knows how to bring in good things in small packages.... like the inclusion of Twin Airbags ( steering wheel and the front passenger seat. ) and also the Electically adjustible OVRMs.....

Its so nice to find that Jagdish khattar is doing the right job by bringing these technologies in its smaller cars and making companies like Hyundai & Tata... to think hard....

Another thing is I know some people would be skeptical to buy the LPG model because of safety ... but I think in the longer run they will come back looking at the record of Maruti.... also... it will be a more cleaner & cheaper fuel till hybrid vehicals are launched by Honda ( but not at such cheaper price)

The front of teh Wagor R now gives a bold and solid look and the car gives a more bold statement than earlier and also its BOXY shape is also gone ...
Conclusion : Good work done Maruti.... keep up the good work.. and pleaseeeeeeeeee do something about the looks of your Esteem & Baleno tooooooooo

Gagan
dhall_gagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 12:42   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo
How about Rs. 35/ltr Diesel with 18.5 Kmpl delivered with 50% AC ? My 2004 Indica DLS does that!
Good for you if you are getting 18.5 in city..

For wagon R , 10KMpl was an approximation.. I am sure regular users of wagon R will be gettting much more in city., which will change the calculation.

Even Otherwise, Wagon R LPG will deliver same economy as your car .without the hassles of diesel clatter , long term maintenance issues of a diesel and above all with the added advantage of Maruti A**.
Old 20th July 2006, 12:50   #24

I don't think the WagonR LPG is such a great choice

Consider this:

1. The running cost is the same as a diesel. With a CNG, your fuel bill will be further halved.

2. In Delhi, you can get CNG at almost every gas station. There are only 16 LPG filling stations in the city (TOI)

3. If you can set you biases aside for a moment, then an Indica Xeta with an authorised CNG kit makes much more sense. You can debate its styling and finish, but it's undoubtedly more powerful, roomier, comfortable, cheaper to maintain and a superior value for money.

Also check out this Outlook article:
http://203.200.89.96/scripts/IIH021C...&txtSearch=cng

Mahavir Singh has been driving an LPG-fitted 118 NE for eight years. He, however, is not amused. “The A/C doesn’t work and I get a lower 8-10 km for a kg of gas when compared with CNG. In winters, it gets cold and the gas gets stuck and so using LPG is not advisable,” he adds.

Auto expert Tutu Dhawan says, “The average goes down by 10% on every kg. Unlike CNG, you can save up to a paltry 20% using an LPG kit."
manas80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 13:08   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas80
I don't think the WagonR LPG is such a great choice

Consider this:

1. The running cost is the same as a diesel. With a CNG, your fuel bill will be further halved.

2. In Delhi, you can get CNG at almost every gas station. There are only 16 LPG filling stations in the city (TOI)

3. If you can set you biases aside for a moment, then an Indica Xeta with an authorised CNG kit makes much more sense. You can debate its styling and finish, but it's undoubtedly more powerful, roomier, comfortable, cheaper to maintain and a superior value for money.

Also check out this Outlook article:
http://203.200.89.96/scripts/IIH021C...&txtSearch=cng

Mahavir Singh has been driving an LPG-fitted 118 NE for eight years. He, however, is not amused. “The A/C doesn’t work and I get a lower 8-10 km for a kg of gas when compared with CNG. In winters, it gets cold and the gas gets stuck and so using LPG is not advisable,” he adds.

Auto expert Tutu Dhawan says, “The average goes down by 10% on every kg. Unlike CNG, you can save up to a paltry 20% using an LPG kit."
1. Read my earlier Post. My comment was specific to Bangalore. There is no CNG available in Bangalore, Only LPG. and Petrol / Diesel . I Can't comment on economies of CNG.

2. If Diesel economy is what you want, I would prefer to wait for Diesel Engined Swift / Zen / Wagon R , likely to hit the road in another 6 months.

3.There is no Bias here..you are welcome to prefer Tata vehicles but I prefer Maruti anyday for its service network and availability of spares. I am sure there are many more like me in the forum.(I am speaking from the experience of owning 6 various marutis in past 10 years )

4.LPG mileage is supposed to be 10 % less than petrol..But price is also 60% less.. SO your running cost should reduce by atleast 50%.( for example, 11kmpl for a litre of petrol costing 55 rupees vs. 10 km to a kg of lpg costing 22 rupees )

5.That LPG gets stuck in Winter is a Joke..Has the LPG cylinder you use in your home , ever got stuck in winter? LPG is stored under high pressure, so it remains liquid , when stored. Mahaveer singh , whom you quote must be adding one of his own to the long list of Sardarji Jokes !!

Last edited by w 12 : 20th July 2006 at 13:17.
Old 20th July 2006, 13:19   #26

Hi WI

I was not "responding" to your post. It was a general observation.

The LPG freezing thing is from the outlook article, whose link I've given.

I'm buying my first car soon, and was just waiting for the WagonR LPG before deciding.

Tata cars generally suck, I'll be the first to agree. The point I was making was that they're just too damned good value for money to ignore. And that CNG is a far superior choice than LPG (at least in Delhi).

Bottomline: There are better options available than what Maruti is offering.

Last edited by manas80 : 20th July 2006 at 13:34.
manas80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 13:25   #27
BHPian

any idea are they also planning to come up with CNG
for a simple reason CNG is safer in comparison to LPG
I guess!
Wadhwa Ajay
a4_attitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 14:27   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4_attitude
any idea are they also planning to come up with CNG
for a simple reason CNG is safer in comparison to LPG
I guess!
Wadhwa Ajay
Ajay,
No CNG from the MAruti stable announced... in fact going by the tone of the positioning they are pitching it against CNG cars..
Cheers.
Old 20th July 2006, 17:51   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Holy Cow !! why did the chop off the petrol tank. 5 liters is not going to take you for more than 60 kms. You're doomed if you want to go touring in remote areas where there is no LPG.
there is an after market pump that pushes the gas from a cylinder to the tank that is available for only 2000oddbucks u can get that at any shop where lpg tank is fitted . so the cost of running is reduced to further extent an lpg cylinder costs far less than commercial lpg
garvit2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2006, 23:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

The new grill makes the WagonR look very...Korean. The earlier one was much better, IMHO.
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote