Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 29th October 2013, 11:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Grand i10 Diesel AT - End of a long wait?

Hyundai is creating a new market here Diesel Hatchback with Automatic transmission. With the Diesel Grand i10 Asta (O) retailing at Rs.6.5 lacs (ex-showroom), they can easily target the price of Rs.7.2 lacs for the automatic variant (same difference as the Verna manual & auto variants), & if they manage auto tranny on the lower variants as well (like Verna), they can sell the vehicle under Rs.7.5 lacs (on road in NCR) & little over Rs.8 lacs in Bangalore. I would say that's a wonderful proposition for many buyers.

Hopefully, other auto majors will also be forced to have such variants on their hatches.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 11:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I could not agree more with your statement!
Moreoever, if one really wants a diesel AT, just take a look at the used car market. There are decent options for around a million bucks, as you put it

And what is with that ad for Grand with all those animals. It is downright silly, even for 10 year olds.
True. Also, very few people planning to spend that much on an AT would shy away from the used market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
There is no way Hyundai are going to price the Grand i10 diesel AT at ~ 1 million rupees.

The Asta(O) variant of the Grand i10 CRDi currently costs ~ Rs. 6.5 lacs, ... they charge a 75k rupee premium ... the ex-showroom price comes to 7.25 or 7.4 lac rupees maximum. The on-road price is not going to exceed Rs. 9 lacs in even the states with the most road taxes and cities that charge octroi/LBT.

The on-road prices will range from 8 lacs to less than 9 lacs, depending on the state and city. This is for the Asta(O) variant. Lower variants would obviously be cheaper.
Sir, even at 8L OTR for 70bhp Diesel Auto, the Petrol Brio VX-AT with close to 90bhp (something that'll be preferable in City AND Highways) is at 7.5L OTR (max).

People who are spending 7-8L on a hatch, probably travelling <1k kms/month, I don't think would sacrifice the driving pleasure of the Brio. Still, thats just my opinion, others may differ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
I do 35kms one way trips to work through traffic. Viman nagar to hinjewadi and i can tell you that for those 70kms of madness, i'm willing to bet my money on this car. I wont talk about 10lacs as the price point but would rather talk about how much premium does Hyundai charge over the manual Asta crdi. If they ask me a lakh more for the AT box, i will wait until they wake up n smell the roses.

Or like Eddy said above, they better start providing the AT box right from Magna trims. Works for all of us and Hyundai will see them fly off the shelves!

But a decent diesel AT hatch has been long long overdue!
Yes, that 70kms would be better, but I guess you'll still be paying a 70k premium over the Petrol Brio AT for an underpowered diesel Grand i10 AT even at 7.5L OTR (Pune Low Taxes?).

(Also, Pune being SO close to the hills, I'm sure you'll be quite tempted to visit there once in a while, would a comparatively underpowered Diesel hatch be as fun as a well powered, renowned Honda Petrol ?)
GrammarNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 11:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Hyundai is creating a new market here Diesel Hatchback with Automatic transmission. With the Diesel Grand i10 Asta (O) retailing at Rs.6.5 lacs (ex-showroom), they can easily target the price of Rs.7.2 lacs for the automatic variant (same difference as the Verna manual & auto variants), & if they manage auto tranny on the lower variants as well (like Verna), they can sell the vehicle under Rs.7.5 lacs (on road in NCR) & little over Rs.8 lacs in Bangalore. I would say that's a wonderful proposition for many buyers.

Hopefully, other auto majors will also be forced to have such variants on their hatches.
Very valid point. But unfortunately they tend to provide AT on top variants like they did in case of Verna. Actually there is a need for a basic diesel AT hatch with just engine+aircon+power steering+AT. I would forgo even power windows for the sake of AT ( how often do we lower windows these days anyway?).

What I said about close to 10 lakh is that I'm so desperate for a diesel AT hatch that I'm even willing to pay close to 10L. That doesn't mean 10L is the right price. It is only my desperation. On the other hand there are people who wouldn't touch an AT even if it is priced lower than MT. It's all individual preferences. My guess is if they provide AT only on top variant i10, the on-road price may creep up to 8.5 to 9L, thanks to our ever increasing taxes. I surmised this price by looking at near 14L (on-road) of Verna AT.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 11:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
Very valid point. But unfortunately they tend to provide AT on top variants like they did in case of Verna. Actually there is a need for a basic diesel AT hatch with just engine+aircon+power steering+AT. I would forgo even power windows for the sake of AT ( how often do we lower windows these days anyway?).
Hi @pgsagar

Verna Diesel Automatic is very much available in Ex variant a well, probably under Rs.12.5 lacs in your place. Refer below link:

http://www.hyundai.com/in/en/Shoppin...ote/index.html

If you have the dough you may opt for the car.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 12:13   #20
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Sir, even at 8L OTR for 70bhp Diesel Auto, the Petrol Brio VX-AT with close to 90bhp (something that'll be preferable in City AND Highways) is at 7.5L OTR (max).

People who are spending 7-8L on a hatch, probably travelling <1k kms/month, I don't think would sacrifice the driving pleasure of the Brio. Still, thats just my opinion, others may differ.
I know you just used it as a common and polite way of addressing a stranger, but it makes me somewhat uncomfortable to be called "sir"

Anyway, the Brio AT is a very good car and is better suited to the highway, no doubt. But if it is to be compared to the Grand i10, then it would only be fair to compare apples to apples.

In other words, the Brio VX-AT should be compared to the Grand i10 petrol Asta(O) AT which would be priced similar to the Honda. And the current (old) i10 AT, despite having 80PS, is quicker than the 88PS Brio (from ACI tests) and has a higher top speed. With 83PS, the Grand i10 is bound to almost as quick as its predecessor, and have a higher top speed than the Brio. The Brio would fare better on handling, though. On features and space, there would be no comparison - for a similar price, the Brio would be left way, way behind the Grand i10.

Irrespective of this, anyone looking to buy a diesel AT will buy a diesel AT, without considering the petrol ATs available in the same price range. It's just like anyone who wants a diesel MT will buy a diesel MT, without considering the petrol MTs available for a similar price, in my humble opinion.

Last edited by RSR : 29th October 2013 at 12:25.
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 12:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Recently visited a Hyundai showroom in Pune about i10 AT and was shocked to hear that Hyundai is stopping production of current i10 AT to make way for the petrol Grand i10 AT. I am not sure if this is true but the salesman was damn sure. He even mentioned that Pune now has only 2 i10 ATs available and he does not know if he will ever receive a new stock.

Knowing that I am there only for AT car, he did not even push for Grand i10/i20/Verna AT. I am not sure if its true that current i10 AT is going to be phased out. Or he just pulled a fast one on me.
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 12:30   #22
BHPian

Ever since i got the Carwale Email Alert i was like , post that then i've just been grinning with excitement . A small Diesel Automatic. Is this a dream coming true? My daily excruciatingly painful & expensive drives in Andheri East in the narrow lanes will finally be bearable. Have waited for years. Finally.

*EDIT*
Dear Hyundai,
Please take my money right now. And give me the car ASAP. I am willing to pay whatever price you quote, i'm so desperate for it.

Thank You.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 29th October 2013 at 12:36.
anilkalvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 14:27   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Recently visited a Hyundai showroom in Pune about i10 AT and was shocked to hear that Hyundai is stopping production of current i10 AT to make way for the petrol Grand i10 AT. I am not sure if this is true but the salesman was damn sure. He even mentioned that Pune now has only 2 i10 ATs available and he does not know if he will ever receive a new stock.

Knowing that I am there only for AT car, he did not even push for Grand i10/i20/Verna AT. I am not sure if its true that current i10 AT is going to be phased out. Or he just pulled a fast one on me.
He wasnt.

Quote:
Post the launch of the Grand i10 here, Hyundai has made a move to discontinue the top-end variants -- the Sportz and Asta -- of its i10 hatchback cars, powered by the 1.2-litre Kappa2 engine.

The move creates some space between the Hyundai i10 and the Grand, as the price gap between the top-end i10 models and the Grand i10 was quite narrow, especially after the recent price hike across the company's entire model range except the new Hyundai Grand.
The Hyundai i10 will now be available in two variants -- the Era and Magna. These variants are powered by the 1.1-litre iRDE motor.

Also, with the discontinuation of the top variants, the automatic transmission option will also be missed in the i10 line-up, although the carmaker is expected to launch an auto 'box-equipped Grand i10 soon.
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ed-358147.aspx
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 14:53   #24
BHPian

Hyundai - please launch diesel AT i10Grand. How about considering a 5 speed autobox in due course of time?I am in for a small auto diesel, would serve my purpose for city driving.Thanks Hyundai !Just make sure that you make it a good deal from the price point too.
i74js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 15:05   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
I often wonder why manufacturers still cannot separate essential features like safety kits or an AT box with high end features. For instance, I would love to own a Grand i10 Diesel AT Magna variant with ABS.
Yeah me too. They must be thinking that the upper end of the customer base would choose AT and they wouldnt mind (or would actually like) the safety and stuff..

BTW, Maruti has done that - the Dzire or Ritz AT are VXi spec (with ABS), and not ZXi.

i10 Grand Magna CRDI AT would really be the best seller
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 15:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Ever since i got the Carwale Email Alert i was like , post that then i've just been grinning with excitement . A small Diesel Automatic. Is this a dream coming true? My daily excruciatingly painful & expensive drives in Andheri East in the narrow lanes will finally be bearable. Have waited for years. Finally.

*EDIT*
Dear Hyundai,
Please take my money right now. And give me the car ASAP. I am willing to pay whatever price you quote, i'm so desperate for it.

Thank You.
You echo my words. It's dream come true for me , too. I had been waiting so anxiously for one all these years myself. The only dampener is diesel prices are now inching towards petrol prices. Still, 50 to 60 per cent more FE on diesel gives an advantage even if both fuels cost same.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 15:24   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
You echo my words. It's dream come true for me , too. I had been waiting so anxiously for one all these years myself. The only dampener is diesel prices are now inching towards petrol prices. Still, 50 to 60 per cent more FE on diesel gives an advantage even if both fuels cost same.
Exactly. My Vento AT gives better mileage (9-10kmpl) than my daily drive i10 AT (5-6kmpl). I need a small AT because of the narrow roads i have to drive in. Diesel is the icing on the cake. Won't be less than 9kmpl i feel with 100% a/c with the worst of driving conditions. For sure.
anilkalvani is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 15:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

I've always wondered what the price difference between a manual transmission and its auto transmission counterpart would be for smaller cars (hatches and small sedans) in other markets like China and Brazil. Do car makers charge a higher difference in India vis a vis these countries or are we on par?
The Grand i10 diesel auto is 'grand' news all right. Hoping the others will follow suit shortly.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 16:19   #29
BHPian

Would a 1.1L diesel be able to deliver enough power through a lossy torque converter? Autocar reports a 0-100kmph timing of 20s+ for the MT. AT timings would be worse.

Wouldn't mating the AT to the 1.1 CRDI result in a double handicapped car?
ecosport is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2013, 16:56   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport View Post
Would a 1.1L diesel be able to deliver enough power through a lossy torque converter? Autocar reports a 0-100kmph timing of 20s+ for the MT. AT timings would be worse.

Wouldn't mating the AT to the 1.1 CRDI result in a double handicapped car?
I believe potential customers of the i10 grant diesel AT won't be buying it for power or performance.
The car (if launched) should be targeted at delivering effortless driving experience and good FE in urban crawling traffic which takes it toll both on FE (petrol AT hatch weak link) and the driver's left knee (driving a stick shift in bumper to bumper stop n go traffic).
blackasta is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote