Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 29th October 2013, 15:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Next-gen Hyundai Sonata to get a toned down design?

Link to News Section

First introduced in 2009, the current version of the Hyundai Sonata luxury saloon is 4 years old in the market, and consequently is due for a full model change in 2015. According to a report on SouthChinaMorningPost, South Korean car maker Hyundai is said to be adopting a revised version of the Fluidic design language for the all-new 2015 Sonata. Notably, the Fluidic design language has been a bulwark around which Hyundai's globally sales success has been built and a more toned-down approach for future models could be first showcased in the likes of the 2015 Sonata and the new Genesis.

Next-gen Hyundai Sonata to get a toned down design?-2013-hyundai-sonata.jpg

Note: 2013 Hyundai Sonata image used in the report is illustrative in nature.

The new design philosophy has largely to do with Hyundai's home market of South Korea thumbing down the curvy design of the current-Sonata, and favouring a more restrained design language. The orient, unlike the west, prefers a conservative design philosophy and Hyundai's move to the Fluidic design philosophy, back in the day, was said to be a bold one. By inducing a higher degree of conservatism in its car designs through a tweaked Fluidic design philosophy, Hyundai seems to be aiming at a please-all-offend-none design future.

Apart from the toned down design on the 2015 Sonata, the car is likely to see many changes in terms of the features and creature comforts offered. However, the current engine range might be carried over to the new model with minor changes. This development, if true would mean that the 2015 Sonata would continue motoring on with an all-petrol line up. From the Indian perspective, the lack of a diesel engine option in the current Sonata has cost the car dearly at the hustings. A similar fate awaits the next-gen model of the car assuming the car's unchanged all-petrol line up and that diesel prices aren't fully deregulated in India.

The Hyundai Sonata sold in India features a 2.4 liter GDI (gas direct injection), naturally aspirated petrol engine that outputs 199 Bhp of peak power and 255 Nm of peak torque. The engine is available with two transmission options: A 6 speed manual and a 6 speed automatic. The car is positioned in the D2 segment of the Indian car market, where it competes with the likes of the Skoda Superb, Volkswagen Passat, Honda Accord and the Nissan Teana. Of these cars, the Passat and Superb are available with both petrol and diesel engines while the rest of the cars are petrol-only models.

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 29th October 2013 at 15:51. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2014, 14:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Next-gen Hyundai Sonata to get a toned down design?

Hi all, As per reports the new Sonata Hybrid that is set to come out in 2015 has been spotted testing. The car makes use of lithium polymer batteries, which is known to be among the most efficient electric sources available.

Next-gen Hyundai Sonata to get a toned down design?-spyshots2015hyundaisonataphotos.jpg

Thanks

AD

Source: http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/auto-n...ed-time-85713/
ad3952n is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2014, 12:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Update

Hi all, Here is the 1st picture of the 2015 Hyundai Sonata's front profile.

Next-gen Hyundai Sonata to get a toned down design?-2015hyundaisonata13.jpg

Thanks

AD

Source: http://www.carscoops.com/2014/03/thi...5-hyundai.html
ad3952n is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2014, 14:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Interior images of the new Sonata:

Next-gen Hyundai Sonata to get a toned down design?-10000418134.jpg
CARDEEP is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 09:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

The new Sonata seems to be a slightly smaller version of the Genesis interior wise. The exteriors seem to be more slender lending to a longer stance and the toned down narrower head/fog lamps speak substance and simplicity over heft and visuality. The current Sonata isn't bad but this is most definitely an improvement.

Adding to the article above is a slightly different take based on the Hyundai design centre in Russelsheim, Germany. While Hyundai still stands by its signature fluidic design language helmed by Thomas Bürkle that helped the company take giant strides in terms of creating its own unique identity, the present design update is called Fluidic Sculpture 2.0 which will be carried over to all models. This has more to do with the integration of Kia/Hyundai design teams into the Russelsheim office. As a result Peter Schreyer is the new design head of both companies and the current update is his vision for making the cars more European. The new i10, also designed by Bürkle, is the first car with the updated design. Expect the i20, i30 and Elantra in due course to be revised similarly. Starting from 2015 you can also expect performance/handling tuned cars with the 'N' badge. N is short for Nürburgring possibly, where the testing of these models happened.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 10:02   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Interior images of the new Sonata:

Attachment 1216090
Looks like an audi interior. Adding a german design centre is possibly a good idea for Hyundai in the long run.
nik_kapur is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2014, 10:23   #7
BHPian

Exterior design sketch and picture of Sonata 2015.

Source: http://www.carscoops.com/2014/03/new...d-puts-on.html

Next-gen Hyundai Sonata to get a toned down design?-hyundaisonata201514.jpg

Next-gen Hyundai Sonata to get a toned down design?-hyundaisonata201523.jpg

Last edited by mints21 : 7th March 2014 at 10:27.
mints21 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2014, 15:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

The 2015 Sonata has been caught completely unmasked at factory floor (pics courtesy : bobaedream.co.kr via Carscoops via Motoroids):

Name:  2015hyundaisonata1449x600.jpg.pagespeed.ce.oQ4q0ujcj5.jpg
Views: 1991
Size:  49.3 KB

Name:  2015hyundaisonata2.jpg.pagespeed.ce.3nGz9bzh6z.jpg
Views: 1930
Size:  26.8 KB

Looks way classier & futuristic than Asian competitors, only the Europeans have edge with their ageless-classy designs.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 13th March 2014 at 15:09.
CARDEEP is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2014, 15:31   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
The 2015 Sonata has been caught completely unmasked at factory floor (pics courtesy : bobaedream.co.kr via Carscoops via Motoroids): Looks way classier & futuristic than Asian competitors, only the Europeans have edge with their ageless-classy designs.
I find it very much out of proportion, bordering on ugly. Front end looks good, but it loses the game towards the side- long bonnet and very stubby boot.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2014, 16:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I find it very much out of proportion, bordering on ugly. Front end looks good, but it loses the game towards the side- long bonnet and very stubby boot.
I guess that is more due to the angle at which the picture is shot. Just take a look at the spy picture taken in the snow, a few posts ago, that shows a really long car with long overhangs.

I quite like the car's proportions. Also, since the Toyota Camry doesnt look special, and next gen Accord isn't coming to our shores, I guess this Sonata would do well with a nice diesel powertrain. Skoda Superb is the only real competitor in that segment, who is also aging!
aravind.anand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 07:56   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

New Hyundai Sonata to debut on March 24,

Quote:
The 2015 Sonata will be offered with the 2.0 T-GDi turbo-four and 2.4 Theta II GDi engines, both familiar units, But for the first time ever, the Korean midsize will come with a seven-speed DCT, or double clutch transmission, instead of a conventional automatic

Quote:
Those same two mills will also be offered to US consumers while the Europeans will get a 1.6 T-GDi turbo with 190 hp and possibly the 1.7-liter diesel with 130. The platform for the car is codenamed LF and is still based on the outgoing Sonata
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/ne...ion-78533.html
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 08:34   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I guess that is more due to the angle at which the picture is shot. Just take a look at the spy picture taken in the snow, a few posts ago, that shows a really long car with long overhangs. I quite like the car's proportions. Also, since the Toyota Camry doesnt look special, and next gen Accord isn't coming to our shores, I guess this Sonata would do well with a nice diesel powertrain. Skoda Superb is the only real competitor in that segment, who is also aging!
Thanks. Yes I stand corrected. Thank you. The spy shots have beautiful proportions.

With a double clutch transmission and such looks- hyundai can really eat into Superb sales if they bring in the diesel variant.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 10:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Looks like Hyundai hired some desiners from Ford. The big chrome grille, the new changed headlamps all seem to be inspired from recent Ford designs.

Personally I prefer the current Sonata. It is easily the best implementation of the Hyundai's fluidic design.
blue_pulsar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 08:05   #14
BHPian

This should lead to even more discounts on the current Sonata and should make it one VFM pick in its segment.
Zero Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 15:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Another pic showing different colours:

Name:  2015HyundaiSonataspiedundiguised.jpg
Views: 1545
Size:  112.0 KB

Source - Bobaedream.co.kr via IAB
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote