Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 3rd December 2014, 10:31   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Rumour - Duster to get an automatic transmission in 2015

Renault is not thinking in about Automatic at all, but we are likely to see AT's from Mahindra in both their Scorpio as well as their XUV 500 within next 3-4 months.

Rahul
Old 3rd December 2014, 11:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Renault is not thinking in about Automatic at all, but we are likely to see AT's from Mahindra in both their Scorpio as well as their XUV 500 within next 3-4 months.

Rahul
Scorpior AT, may be. But XUV? I think by M&M's own admission XUV AT will not see the light of the day before 2015-end. And looking at glacial pace the auto-makers move at, in this country, I wouldn't be surprised if end-2015 turns out to be end-2016.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2014, 13:40   #18
BHPian

Observing the test mules and a chat with those working on them, the problems have already been ironed out, and launch can be as early as 3 months from now.
The Aisin 6 speed AT being tested has a lockup converter which will lockup from 3rd gear on wards, returning good efficiency. Engine has also been uptuned to 170 BHP.
http://www.aisinworld.com/products/a...ts/drivetrain/

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2014, 22:15   #19
BHPian

Automobile manufacturers when in India are very conventional because of the local management they hire. They believe in Sales Numbers and hence are not pleased with high end cars. Being a price sensitive market, luxury of driving on roads is compromised. These Sales Heads will never get AT in existing/new cars so easily. No offence but they should start thinking about comfort levels. MT sucks in bumper to bumper roads.
spoth001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2015, 12:33   #20
BHPian

Was visiting UAE recently. Saw AT Dusters. Wonder why Indian market is not getting the AT in Dusters. Duster has come out with 4x4 MT in India. Do not have any data points, but I am sure, Duster 4x2 AT will sell as well or perhaps better than 4x4 MT, if introduced.

People in tier 1 & 2 cities with bumper-to-bumper traffic could consider the Duster AT for its SUV feel and driving comfort.

Pricewise I think 4x2 AT should be comparable to 4x4 MT.....Toyota Fortuner has introduced both, 4x2 AT and 4x4 MT. Both these are doing well in terms of sale numbers plus Indian customers have a choice with Toyota SUVs. Only thing is that the Fortuner is very expensive. Those looking to own a SUV type vehicle (not as expensive as Fortuner) with diesel 4x2 AT option, if Duster brings this option, I am sure there will be many who would consider it.
geotracks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2015, 13:08   #21
BHPian

I for one would definitely consider Duster AT. It would give Ecosport AT a good competition also some of the sedans in that category.
Old 28th February 2015, 18:55   #22
BANNED

If, at all, comes, I would definitely exchange my current Duster for AT version.

There is no comparison for Duster. I have recently driven on a road where only Tractors can go in first gear though.
Old 25th July 2015, 20:43   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Motoring World reports, via an exclusive scoop, that the Duster Automatic is indeed coming in the next 3-4 months, after Renault India is done with the Kwid launch.

The Automatic box will be a 6-speed, Dual Clutch unit called the EDC (Efficient Dual Clutch), and will be offered in the 2WD version of the Indian Duster initially. It is currently doing duty in the Dacia Duster sold in Russia.

Name:  duster_3.jpg
Views: 6211
Size:  91.7 KB

Quote:
Renault is currently putting all its effort behind the Kwid, its first entry-level car that is slated for launch in September. However, post the Kwid, Renault will launch a facelifted version of the Duster and it's expected to also sport an auto-box option.

The 2015 Renault Duster facelift is likely to be minimal in nature and won't be similar to the one in Europe. In fact, the Adventure version, with its carbon-look wheels and blacked out surrounds for fogs and different body cladding might be the facelift that will be applied to the rest of the range.

The big news, however is the auto-box. Renault will bring in a new, six-speed dual clutch box called the Efficient Dual Clutch (EDC). This box is currently offered on Renault's small car range in Europe as well as the Dacia Duster in Russia. Mated to the 1.5-litre dCi diesel, with 108 bhp, the Duster won't get paddle shifters. The box also gets a low ratio, ala the Ford Durashift.

For now, Renault is expected to bring the Duster with auto on the 2WD version, however the 4WD auto can't be ruled out, though the penalty on efficiency and weight will be rather high. The facelifted Duster with the auto box is likely to hit showrooms by Oct-Nov this year.
Motoring World
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th July 2015, 22:20   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Motoring World reports, via an exclusive scoop, that the Duster Automatic is indeed coming in the next 3-4 months, after Renault India is done with the Kwid launch.
If this is true, it would set the sales chart on fire once again for Duster. I am ready to wait it out for its launch (having waited for Creta for so long). There are so many members in forum who would prefer to go for Duster with AT option. Thanks RavenAvi for posting this news.
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2015, 13:40   #25
BHPian

Took Test Drive of Duster 110ps AWD today. Actually, wanted to test 2WD but dealer had only 85ps in 2WD. On talking to Sales Advisor, he was confident that the automatic transmission would be launched in Duster by Feb' 16 after Kwid launch in Sept'15. However, he denied receiving any official communication.

This was my first test drive of Duster and was very much impressed (with the suspension) the way it handled the broken roads. But was totally put off with quality of interiors as well as ergonomics and placement of switches. My 5 year old i10 interior is generations ahead of 14 lac OTR Duster.
Simhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2015, 12:11   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

The Automatic box will be a 6-speed, Dual Clutch unit called the EDC (Efficient Dual Clutch), and will be offered in the 2WD version of the Indian Duster initially. It is currently doing duty in the Dacia Duster sold in Russia.
NOW we getting somewhere. However, to really put the "sales charts on fire", IMO Renault will have to wait for the release of the next generation Duster, localize it fast, price it well, and make a plethora of options that don't leave any obvious gaps in the portfolio.
Old 27th July 2015, 12:30   #27
BHPian

Finally affordable diesels are now getting mainstream interest in India and manufacturers have started talking about it outside of boardrooms in order to offer them as mass market products.

- I understand that Suzuki is already in talks with ZF to have a 6 speed auto transmission; most probably for S-Cross. Sooner or later it will make its way into Indian offerings. In addition to this, as part of sourcing 1.6 multijet from FIAT, Suzuki is also in talks for having 5 speed dualogic (which is similar to AMT but quite advance and quick). It is also possible that Indian and rest of the world auto offerings on S-cross could be different !

- Creta is here, though it needs better pricing for mainstreaming as a mass market offering in diesels from Hyundai (Verna 4 speed is not great from the driving pleasure / experience)

- VAG Group offering have now got dual speed DSG for their C segment sedans in diesels

- Duster is planning for it, Nissan might use it in due course of time

- Scorpio is also on the cards to have a 6 speed auto unit as part of offering

Tata and MSIL have already broken the sub-10 Lac barrier through Zest and Celerio respectively for their diesel auto offerings

I think soon we will have a relaxed left hand and foot !
-
Old 27th July 2015, 14:25   #28
Senior - BHPian

RNMIPL is in works regarding a new Auto box. Nissan calls it DIG-S. Have seen it being tested at the plant. Hope we see it soon. Its almost like the DSG. They were proclaiming that it is even better.
Old 27th July 2015, 15:55   #29
BHPian

This is very encouraging news, c'mon Renault - use your chance wisely. Don't just bring in the facelift, give it a variant with auto transmission, give the top spec of all the AT/AWD/2WD/Manual the option of 6 airbags (Delight the many who wanted the Creta AT with 6 airbags but were unfairly refused). Also hope the facelifted model has better interiors - and more than anything please price this sanely !!.

I just love what competition does to the market

P.S : I also hope they can combine the best from the looks of the Terrano ( which is mechanically nothing but the duster)and offer one "duster" and make it "look" and "feel" premium. ( And of course not offer 2 badge re-engineered cars)
Old 27th July 2015, 22:33   #30
BHPian

I think this is a little day in the day but nonetheless its being launched finally !
Renault should ideally be thinking of getting the Captur into India at the 12-16L mark. The Duster should be sold in lower variants between 8-11 L only.
Closed Thread