Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 30th January 2007, 01:11   #256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U- View Post
I think it is likely that the Sumo might take on Scorpio and Safari might move upmarket.
Bingo!!! I think thats the strategy too,AND if that comes true,And Tata's do not price Both vehicle's intelligently,

Sumo wont just compit with the Scorpio,it will give people coming in for the Safari some food for thought too!

After all does not scorpio do the same?AND it will be in the same showroom.
Old 30th January 2007, 07:01   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U- View Post
However, I think it is likely that the Sumo might take on Scorpio and Safari might move upmarket.
If 'upmarket' is the earlier price point of the Safari (before reduction) it MAY work, though I think its going to be a difficult task - very difficult, even.

Tata have to realize that upmarket means more quality control. No sense in giving a bigger vehicle at those price points. We've seen how people are quite happy to shell out more bucks for less space and more snob value for the Skoda. It doesnt matter that they're cramped as long as they look good in the cramped vehicle. I'm afraid thats going to be very uphill for Tata. Some serious rebranding, including the creation of a new brand/line will be called for if they go upmarket. That, and the aforementioned quality levels which will have to go beyond what Mahindra offer and match up with the MNCs.

Last edited by Steeroid : 30th January 2007 at 07:03.
Old 30th January 2007, 07:16   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
If 'upmarket' is the earlier price point of the Safari (before reduction) it MAY work, though I think its going to be a difficult task - very difficult, even.

Tata have to realize that upmarket means more quality control. No sense in giving a bigger vehicle at those price points. We've seen how people are quite happy to shell out more bucks for less space and more snob value for the Skoda. It doesnt matter that they're cramped as long as they look good in the cramped vehicle. I'm afraid thats going to be very uphill for Tata. Some serious rebranding, including the creation of a new brand/line will be called for if they go upmarket. That, and the aforementioned quality levels which will have to go beyond what Mahindra offer and match up with the MNCs.
Totally agree! The moment you start crossing the 10L mark, quality and finish become that much more important. Indian manufacturers need to significantly improve on their sheet metal and plastics quality.. You look at a Tata vehicle's body from the exterior and you will see so many flaws of two parts not being seamless and aerodynamic. That said, the interiors of many MNC vehicles are equally bad with their interiors - especially in the dashboard area..
Old 30th January 2007, 12:48   #259
BHPian

Quote:

We've seen how people are quite happy to shell out more bucks for less space and more snob value for the Skoda.
One possiblity i can think of is releasing a VX spec vehicle with climate control(is more or less confirmed), at around 14 lakhs on road would make it an irresistable deal,

Quality is one word i would take as a negotiable word when it comes to Tata! I atleast in my capacity as a multiple Tata owner would not expect that to improve drasticaly,whatever Tata may claim.

But as long as they make a reliable package,it is buy for atleast me and you(what say Steeroid),cause 3.0 was a dissapointment to me even when i compare the quality and reliablity levels of TCIC which came post 2003-04.

Skoda,my friend is a little more than just snob value,rear space i agree, but the build and commitment(compared to its competitors) is why you had to pay the premium for.However now(including its competitors)it is over-priced and customer's deserve the Laura at the same price.
Old 30th January 2007, 16:35   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Here are we talking about the new Safari, look below to see who has taken the lead its a "SUMO"

Mumbai: Tata Motors is to introduce a new-look Tata Sumo in April 2007. The new multi-utility vehicle will have a 2.2 litre CRDi (common rail direct injection) diesel engine instead of the present 2-litre. Apparently, it is the same engine used on the sports utility vehicle Tata Safari. Company officials say they have the option to choose either the 2.2-litre or 3.0-litre CRDi engine.
Some more info about Sumo's redesigning/restyling by a German design house:

Tata Group | Tata Motors | Media reports | German firm to design Tata MUV

From design to launch in less than a year. Looks like they've worked really fast on this one, going by Tata's timelines:

German firm to design Tata MUV
The Economic Times — August 26, 2006

Tata Motors has roped in German engineering company, IAV GmbH (Ingenieurgesellschaft Auto und Verkehr), to design and develop its new multi-utility vehicle (MUV) platform. The new platform may replace Tata Motors' warhorse Sumo which has served the company for over 12 years. Tata Motors' has been talking about its intention to develop a new MUV for over three years, but there have been very few updates on the status of the project.
In 2003, the company said, it had formed a group to work on the new platform, but said it may have to pull in external resources to style it. Now with the German design shop on board, the project may hit the fast track. There is still no word on a possible launch date; industry watchers say the vehicle should hit the roads before the launch of the Rs one-lakh car in 2007-08.
IAV GmbH employs over 2,500 people and has been involved in vehicle development for over 23 years. It offers comprehensive development assistance for the entire vehicle as well as the power trains. "Tata Motors is working on several innovations on its product portfolio. However, you will appreciate that we cannot share any details on our future launch plans," said a Tata Motors' spokesperson when contacted.
Tata Motors has sought help from international design houses even in the past. The Idea Institute of Italy had worked on designing and prototyping the company's maiden passenger car venture, Indica. Idea also collaborated with the house of Tatas to develop its new concept vehicle, Cliffrider, which was showcased at this year's Geneva Motor Show.
Over the years, the Sumo has received a few facelifts with the launch of the Tata Sumo Deluxe in 1996 and more recently the Tata Sumo Victa in 2004. However, it has been unable to keep up with competition especially from Mahindra & Mahindra's Bolero variants, which is India's largest selling utility vehicle now.

Last edited by directinjection : 30th January 2007 at 16:37.
Old 30th January 2007, 16:56   #261
BHPian

Boy, are sedan and small car owners in for trouble? As it is, with their underpowered engines Sumos are a menace on the road. Moreover, most of them are driven by boors who have no civic sense.

Some of these older Sumos have metal bumpers (they don't even pay 50% depreciation on plastic parts) and protective metalic guards in the front. Think of the damage these hooligans do.

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
Mumbai: Tata Motors is to introduce a new-look Tata Sumo in April 2007. The new multi-utility vehicle will have a 2.2 litre CRDi (common rail direct injection) diesel engine instead of the present 2-litre.
Old 30th January 2007, 17:04   #262
Senior - BHPian

The Safari would also greatly benefit from an automatic gearbox, IMHO.
Old 31st January 2007, 02:40   #263
BHPian

Quote:
I agree with you. I didn't think the earlier pricing of VX was very good and even now it is Rs.12.4 OTR. I am not sure how much discount there is at the moment on the Safari. I think the new Indigo XL is kind of overpriced, so I wouldn't be surprised if the top of the line ends up north of Rs.14L OTR. All I can say is that I wouldn't be getting it.
Old 1st February 2007, 08:44   #264
BHPian

Lightbulb what price?!

Quote:
I'm selling my Dicor - I've lost faith.
one of the decent handling bulky SUV's I've seen..... if not THE best!!!! steer bhaiyyaaa..... how much??!!!!
Old 1st February 2007, 12:28   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUV View Post
Check this Link for Spy Pic ...

CarSpyShots.net Forums: 2008 Tata Sumo
From the spy pics, it appears that they are retaining the same chassis and suspension (leaf springs). The wheelbase also seems unchanged. So, it will retain the jeep character (Of all the Indian MUVs, Sumo comes closest to a jeep). Hope they introduce and seriously push the 4X4 version too. If the styling is contemporary and international (should be, considering it's been done by the Germans) and if those squeaks and rattles have been taken care of, the revamped Sumo with its 2.2 CRDI engine could be a serious challenger to the Scorpio.

Last edited by directinjection : 1st February 2007 at 12:36.
Old 1st February 2007, 20:48   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike View Post
one of the decent handling bulky SUV's I've seen..... if not THE best!!!! steer bhaiyyaaa..... how much??!!!!
I think he has reclaimed his.............faith ;-).
Old 2nd February 2007, 13:43   #267
BHPian

Default my mistake!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert fox View Post
I think he has reclaimed his.............faith ;-).
@ Desert fox..... dude, sorry I made a mistake while posting the reply!! I should've highlighted as "Steer's dicor" instead of subjected dicor "SUV's"

Dude, "This" one has a "Psycho-ed" suspension!!! I've personally seen and experianced its hot performance on terrains, ghat roads and also on a very busy highway thru which it was clocking 140 at times!!! IT IS an amazing handler!!
I know it is worth for a decent figure!!
Old 2nd February 2007, 14:24   #268
BHPian

Haha, I know,I have driven it myself. It would be foolish to think iam suggesting you are not upto date with things.........Not after reading the jungle rumble,where steeroid has reported drifts,drag's..et al.

Just had to get the self-invented dicor line out of my system.
Old 2nd February 2007, 19:45   #269
BHPian

Default ha ha!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert fox View Post
Haha, I know,I have driven it myself. It would be foolish to think iam suggesting you are not upto date with things.........Not after reading the jungle rumble,where steeroid has reported drifts,drag's..et al.

Just had to get the self-invented dicor line out of my system.
oh....!!! so don't you think it is worth for a decent price tag?!!
Old 2nd February 2007, 20:14   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkibike View Post
oh....!!! so don't you think it is worth for a decent price tag?!!
Atleast 50,000 rs more than regular market price...
Closed Thread