Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 19th July 2006, 17:27   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
No point getting too excited over the new Dicor - they will replace it with yet another model within one year or less. You're better off investing your money elsewhere.
Steer, looks like you put your money where your mouth is (saw the ad for sale of your Dicor). BTW, saw some stuff in the advt about health issues coming in the way of your driving. Hope things are OK. Take care, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
The car itself may be good, but the company is too inconsistent to put your money on.
If the car is good, why bother about any later versions that they release ? Nowadays, with the exception of MUL, all companies are doing faster upgrades (see Honda with the NHC). If my car is good and A.S.S for it is available (which would be the case with a Tata product), why worry ? Well, it's just my opinion. You might have your reasons.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 19th July 2006 at 17:29.
Old 19th July 2006, 17:37   #77
BHPian

Default nice deal

hmm looks like the new safari is going to be a nice deal. Already feel saved almost 2 lakhs on dicor 3l. was planning to take it when the price was 14.5 in hyd. Will wait for some more time till I get a chance to drive the new one
Old 19th July 2006, 17:51   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
But what are the options at this point, lets have a look at them (my opinions strictly, forum members may agree or disagree, lets look at these objectively) -

Honda CRV - Don't like it, 5 seater, petrol guzzler, soft roader, don't think it would come back looking good if one put it through some of the dirt trails of Himachal
Tucson CRV - Don't like it, 5 seater, doesn't even come with any optional extras worth talking about, same as above if you actually ever take it for serious "off-roading"
Truly speaking, even the Safari is a 5-seater. Those two jump seats at the rear are at best suitable for kids.
Old 19th July 2006, 17:59   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection
Truly speaking, even the Safari is a 5-seater. Those two jump seats at the rear are at best suitable for kids.
At least they are there as an option for the kids (or even for the hired help LOL if you need to lug them around on long hauls)....and for extra luggage space which the typical 5 seaters do not have so much of.....
Old 19th July 2006, 18:01   #80
BANNED

Whoever's planning to buy the new Safari, I'd advise that you wait for a few months after the launch and then do some research - ask owners about their experience etc etc.

From personal experience, I know that the first few batches of any Tata car will be the worst ownership experience of your life. They will use you like an R&D dummy for all the car's flaws and later come out with an improved version or a correction.
Old 19th July 2006, 18:05   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
Whoever's planning to buy the new Safari, I'd advise that you wait for a few months after the launch and then do some research - ask owners about their experience etc etc.

From personal experience, I know that the first few batches of any Tata car will be the worst ownership experience of your life. They will use you like an R&D dummy for all the car's flaws and later come out with an improved version or a correction.
I would wholeheartedly agree with this, having seen Steeroid & Nitin's experiences.....thats why I gave a second thought to the 3 l Dicor now that its been there for a year and a lot (it seems) has been rectified....if a new one comes now, its like a six month wait before venturing in its direction.

But to make that deadline, it needs to be launched NOW, not year-end! Wishful thinking
Old 19th July 2006, 18:13   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Folks, Not just Tata, but M&M too - wait before you buy any new product from these manufacturers.
Old 19th July 2006, 18:18   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
I would wholeheartedly agree with this, having seen Steeroid & Nitin's experiences.....
Well, actually, my experience hasnt been bad at all.. When I made this purchase I was prepared for minor niggling things and Tata/Prerna have been very responsive in sorting these out.. After they fixed the car a few months ago, I have had no issues at all.. In fact, they are quite proactive and give me a call from time to time to find out how the car is doing. And, they treat me like a King when I deal with them. I couldnt ask for more.

Also, the driving pleasure I am getting from it is unbeatable.. last week, I was off-roading in the hills around Kodai, where no other car or 2WD SUV would have made it.. A 8 hour, 500km highway drive did not give me any fatigue.

I would still say - if anybody wants a SUV and a decent 4x4 around 10L, Safari Dicor is the ONE. Whether you wait (how much?) for the 2.2 lt for buy the 3.0 lt now is entirely your call based on the need.
Old 19th July 2006, 18:45   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Nitin, agree with you on ur last post. Where do you get your servicing done ? I am going to Adugodi ..

I feel that you got a vehicle that has stabilized - not the kind of problems that new products have.
Old 19th July 2006, 19:12   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag
When I made this purchase I was prepared for minor niggling things and Tata/Prerna have been very responsive in sorting these out.. After they fixed the car a few months ago, I have had no issues at all..
Exactly what we were talking about......no doubt they have fixed everything but (my impressions after reading Steeroid's ownership experiences and I think you went through pretty much the same) there was a lot to be fixed in the initial stages and that is a little different from my experiences with other manufacturers.

At the moment, it does appear that a buyer of a Dicor will have to go through a lot less in terms of changes and upgrades than what one would have gone through a year back.
Old 20th July 2006, 14:30   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
Nitin, agree with you on ur last post. Where do you get your servicing done ? I am going to Adugodi ..

I feel that you got a vehicle that has stabilized - not the kind of problems that new products have.
Yes, my 1st and 2nd service were done at Adugodi.. However, when I made my list of complaints, they had taken it to Peenya as that seems to be their service HQ..
Old 21st July 2006, 20:24   #87
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE: Received confirmation that the 3 litre Dicor has not been discontinued.
Old 31st July 2006, 08:01   #88
BHPian

Default Any additional info?

I assume then the engine is intercooled-turbocharged-commonrail? 140bhp and 350Nm from a 2.2L is top of the line. I only see Nissan X-Trail with similar numbers, but I don't think that is intercooled. Is it?

Hope TATA will work out all the kinks before its introduction.
Old 31st July 2006, 09:03   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva
Going by Tata's reputation, I'm guessing this new 2.2 litre will also have lots and lots of niggles, and by the time they sort it out, it will be time for the next update. And then the cycle will start all over again with the X2.
the one they are bringing out is an all aluminium Engine in conjunction with AVL austria....so I guess it wont be that bad considering even Scorpio is planning for a 2.2 Crdi with AVL too

I'd like to pont out one more thing . How do they get their seats so comfy especially Tata safari . I have travelled a distance of 600km in one stretch in a W210 and a Safari ...surprisingly I found the latter to be more comfartable not to mention its awesome seat height.I know quality wise it sucks but we gotta admit many silently adore this car.....inspite of all its problems

Last edited by maxbhp : 31st July 2006 at 09:10.
Old 31st July 2006, 15:22   #90
BHPian

maxbhp i totally agree with you. The Safari is one of the most comfortable cars on our roads now only if Tata add a good powerplant and sort out quality issues it really will blast the competition. Currently the major problem with safari is obesity which leds to poor 0-100-0 times and handling problems.

Wonder if Safari and Scorpio will share the same engine as their specs match alot.
Closed Thread