Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2007, 11:44   #976
BHPian
 
Monaro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Noida
Posts: 119
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Saw a Safari type car in NOIDA, was coming from the opposite lane at sum speed so couldn't properly see the badging, looked TATA though, Neway the car was more compact in size, kind of like the RAV4 2door thingy, I'd say take a present Safari n chop off the 3rd row seating!

Wonder if thats the new model ?
Monaro is offline  
Old 16th September 2007, 13:20   #977
Senior - BHPian
 
sajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,426
Thanked: 563 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro View Post
.....the car was more compact in size, kind of like the RAV4 2door thingy, I'd say take a present Safari n chop off the 3rd row seating!
I had seen a similar vehicle in Pune! Atleast 3-4 times, but every single time I was in the company bus, so couldnt really get a good look.
sajo is offline  
Old 16th September 2007, 13:58   #978
Senior - BHPian
 
Rahulk76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: PNQ
Posts: 1,132
Thanked: 204 Times
Default

seems like a mini safari (like the mini pajero). Have seen it quiet no of times near sadanand hotel. AFAIK its may be for european markets primarily
Rahulk76 is offline  
Old 16th September 2007, 19:03   #979
BHPian
 
rajismine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 513
Thanked: 246 Times
Default

Now check this final final news:

1.) Launch confirmed 25th Sep
2.) Booking starts 25th Sep, delivery starts first week of Oct
3.) Price: Nobody knows except TATA. Showrooms will get price chart on 20th Sep
4.) Stock will be in dealer yards on 20th

Confirmed from Quite a senior guy from Concorde Motors Headoffice
rajismine is offline  
Old 16th September 2007, 19:31   #980
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 468
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

FInally!

I am sure this thread is gonna lot more action soon!!!
Elito11 is offline  
Old 17th September 2007, 10:19   #981
BHPian
 
xbox360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 226
Thanked: 76 Times
Default

Concorde guys called me over the weekend to book the vehice. He will arrange for the TD hopefully this week.
In the meanwhile i need help making up my mind --- 2.2 EX 2X2 or 2.2 EX 4X4??

Governing factors --
1) I do not do any offroading today (possible because my current car is Ikon)
2) Not sure if the 4X4 is any less performant than the lighter 2X2?
3) Will the resale of 4X4 be in tune with its higher price tag?
4) The 4X4 will probably cost me another 80-90k
5) The 4WD is one thing that i think can not be fixed later on to a 2X2.
6) Does the 2X2 handle greater amounts of slush and mud than the average sedan?
xbox360 is offline  
Old 17th September 2007, 10:31   #982
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,649
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

Have you asked for the pricing, new colors, features etc ???, I am sure you will not just decide only on the 2.2 engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
Concorde guys called me over the weekend to book the vehice. He will arrange for the TD hopefully this week.
In the meanwhile i need help making up my mind --- 2.2 EX 2X2 or 2.2 EX 4X4??
Looking at the below, you do not need a 4x4, I also read somewhere that most SUV's (upto 95%) run on metalled roads all the time. A 4x2 is able a handle much more than what a sedan can even dare too.

Anyways for whatever small offroading you will do or will be forced to do due to bad roads etc, a 4x2 is sufficient for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
Governing factors --
1) I do not do any offroading today (possible because my current car is Ikon)
2) Not sure if the 4X4 is any less performant than the lighter 2X2?
3) Will the resale of 4X4 be in tune with its higher price tag?
4) The 4X4 will probably cost me another 80-90k
5) The 4WD is one thing that i think can not be fixed later on to a 2X2.
6) Does the 2X2 handle greater amounts of slush and mud than the average sedan?
dadu is offline  
Old 17th September 2007, 10:57   #983
BHPian
 
xbox360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 226
Thanked: 76 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Have you asked for the pricing, new colors, features etc ???, I am sure you will not just decide only on the 2.2 engine.
Actually it is just the 2.2 -- when i drove the 3.0, the only let down was the engine. If they have that covered this time and assuming worst case that all else is the same, i am still game for the 2.2. Whatever other features are there is a bonus.
xbox360 is offline  
Old 17th September 2007, 11:19   #984
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,649
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

Even if it costs more than your budget ??? unless you have an open budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
Actually it is just the 2.2 -- when i drove the 3.0, the only let down was the engine. If they have that covered this time and assuming worst case that all else is the same, i am still game for the 2.2. Whatever other features are there is a bonus.
dadu is offline  
Old 17th September 2007, 11:20   #985
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 21,257
Thanked: 11,457 Times
Default

xbox360, you definitely don't need a 4x4. 4wd is strictly for off-roading, where there is no road. For bad roads 2wd will do just fine.
Samurai is offline  
Old 17th September 2007, 11:26   #986
BHPian
 
xbox360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 226
Thanked: 76 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
xbox360, you definitely don't need a 4x4. 4wd is strictly for off-roading, where there is no road. For bad roads 2wd will do just fine.
Any pointers to the comparative performance hits if any on a 4WD and its resale?
xbox360 is offline  
Old 17th September 2007, 11:50   #987
BHPian
 
turbanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 96
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
Any pointers to the comparative performance hits if any on a 4WD and its resale?
Hi Guys,

I too am looking at the VX 4X4 option so would be grateful to know the same.

Cheers,

turby
turbanman is offline  
Old 17th September 2007, 11:59   #988
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,649
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

Also I remembered that when the 3.0 was launched the specifications described it to be a great engine with lots of torque and power but did not turn out as per expectations of the real world.

So when you go for a test drive, take the 2.2l for a long drive and preferably by someone who is already driving a 3.0l, since he can actually tell the "true difference"

Then take your decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbox360 View Post
Actually it is just the 2.2 -- when i drove the 3.0, the only let down was the engine. If they have that covered this time and assuming worst case that all else is the same, i am still game for the 2.2. Whatever other features are there is a bonus.
dadu is offline  
Old 17th September 2007, 12:20   #989
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,649
Thanked: 242 Times
Default

- Data indicates there is no difference in crash performance ratings between the 4x2 and 4x4 versions.

- 4x4 vs 4x2 drive in snow/sludge makes a difference, it depends on the location you live in, if you live in hilly areas or small towns/villages, 4x4 makes sense. You should not use a 4x4 on paved roads, it can damage parts in the drivetrains.

- The benefits I see to the 4x2 if you don't plan on seeing any snow or mild offroad conditions are, a lower cost and a little less weight. A 4x4 should get worser mileage compared to a 4x2.

- Why pay for the 4x4 if you would never use it.

- In indian second hand market you might not get a buyer for a 4x4 willing to pay more price that you paid while buying it in the same ratio. You will get a few thousand more, thats it. Finding a buyer will also take longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbanman View Post
Hi Guys,

I too am looking at the VX 4X4 option so would be grateful to know the same.

Cheers,

turby

Last edited by dadu : 17th September 2007 at 12:21.
dadu is offline  
Old 17th September 2007, 12:48   #990
BHPian
 
turbanman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 96
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Thanks Dadu,

That settles it. It will be a Silver VX 4X2 for me...Spoke to Pandit Auto here (Pune). He has "Booked" one for me. Delivery if all goes well in first week of October!

The blow by blow account of my Silver Beast will be recorded on one of the pages here so do drop by.

turby




Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
- Data indicates there is no difference in crash performance ratings between the 4x2 and 4x4 versions.

- 4x4 vs 4x2 drive in snow/sludge makes a difference, it depends on the location you live in, if you live in hilly areas or small towns/villages, 4x4 makes sense. You should not use a 4x4 on paved roads, it can damage parts in the drivetrains.

- The benefits I see to the 4x2 if you don't plan on seeing any snow or mild offroad conditions are, a lower cost and a little less weight. A 4x4 should get worser mileage compared to a 4x2.

- Why pay for the 4x4 if you would never use it.

- In indian second hand market you might not get a buyer for a 4x4 willing to pay more price that you paid while buying it in the same ratio. You will get a few thousand more, thats it. Finding a buyer will also take longer.
turbanman is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Safari 2.2 Dicor - "Silverado" LTR smsrini Long-Term Ownership Reviews 36 20th February 2015 23:07
Hyundai i10 facelift EDIT: Pic on Page 7, Brochure on page 18 Simhi The Indian Car Scene 451 21st December 2010 16:05
Tata Safari Dicor LX 4 X 2 or Safari Dicor EX 4 x 2 Digitalmafia SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 55 1st June 2009 17:31
My New Safari Dicor EX 3.0L 4x2 LTR Thread reachmash Long-Term Ownership Reviews 57 9th September 2008 10:34
Suspension setup Safari Dicor 3ltr v/s 2.2 ltr PAVAN KADAM Technical Stuff 13 13th May 2008 13:49


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks