Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 30th August 2006, 17:49   #31
BHPian

Thumbs down

Not very sure on the legal issue, but am damn sure that bull bars will surely cause more harm on hard impact. It is attached to the chasis and hence the impact will be transfered to the chassis on impact.

This means that all theory of crumple zones etc will be thrown out of the window. The impact will be retained on the chasis causing the impact to be really hard and not absorbed at all.

Dont worry about people laughing off when they hit you with a bull bar on it, they will have their day. After all how long can he escape. However on the good side, it will surely protect you on slower impacts and also cause less damage to the main body.

Crumple zones are meant to absorb the impact slowly, if its restricted by a hard body stuck to the chasis, then the chasis itself can be damaged. Bull bars may do best for the Omni .. yes that vehicles only protection is that bar!!! If I ws going for the omni, I would surely fit it on the Omni!! Other vehicles, really not required!!
vincentt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011, 21:53   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Are "bull bars" legal in India?

Folks,

I am planning to fix bull guards my Safari. Idea is not to intimidate other vehicles but safeguard my black Safari from those bikers who like to drive within microns of it. Nothing pains more than seeing a scratch on my new SUV..
Is it legal to fix them on SUVs?
recker_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 11:00   #33
BHPian

@recker_us, Get them fitted from the A.S.S, TATA approved if available. For bikers, I think you should be more concerned about your sides and rear rather than the front. The footboard should provide some protection on the sides. The bar at the rear need not be mounted using very sturdy plates, allow it to flex a bit so its easily corrected later yet protect the rear from minor scratches from impatient bikers.
gharika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 15:07   #34
BHPian

I strongly suggest do not use a bull bar especially if it involves a lot of highway driving. It causes more harm.
Also I do not think it is legal, but all taxis, SUV owners use the bull bar. I think the main reason people use bull bar is to make it look macho and show off.
If you still want a bull bar, I am looking for a buyer

Last edited by himavanth_m : 16th February 2011 at 15:09.
himavanth_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 15:21   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

I need one for the back side too - another bike rear-ended me today :(
I am tempted to have them installed all around! The first dent on my new car was when a biker rear ended me in stop and go traffic! I was in tears almost! driving in rush hour in Bangalore is a nightmare as the 2 wheelers are unbelievably aggressive
Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 17:09   #36
Senior - BHPian

Well, it is possible to get a rear bullbar as well. If you look at any Scorpio, Safari, Fortuner, Vikram, auto, cycle rickshaw in NCR, you ll know.

But I was thinking of something here. I have seen cars with bullbars rear ended more than cars without them. Could it be that when the other road users see that the vehicle ahead of them has bullbars, they become careless?
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 17:21   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Bull bars definitely help protect your vehicle from those morons who just love bumping into the car in front or behind. Specially the 2-wheelers. But I feel they look good only on SUV/MUVs. I hate to see some people use them on hatchbacks and sedans.

@n.devdath: Bull Bars do give you the much needed confidence that whatever may happen your car will not suffer a dent. So may be in the process it makes you a little careless. While reversing and parking many a times its very easy to mis-judge the distance because you fail to take into account the presence of the bull bar and hence end up denting it.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 17:37   #38
Senior - BHPian

there are some posts on this forum which say that the addition of the bull bar which is bolted to the vehicle chassis, is actually unsafe in the event of a collision - the impact gets transferred direct to the chassis and has a seriously deleterious effect on it. Effectively, the built in safety measures such as crumple zones etc do not come into play at all, but on account of the bull bar the chassis bears the brunt of the impact.

I ve got a bull bar on my Scorp but reading these posts somewhere on this forum has made me think a bit. Im not sure whether to dispense with the bull bar or not.

My temptation is to let it remain because in these conditions (Bangalore traffic) the chances of minor bumps etc are very high and the bull bar does offer some small insulation/ consolation in these circumstances. It also makes for an impression of aggressive-ness and I do believe this acts as a bit of a deterrent to the pesky bikes, call centre cabs and auto rickshaws in general.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 16th February 2011 at 17:38.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 17:45   #39
aby
BHPian

How about the new aluminum Bull bars. While they don't look macho, they are good enough to prevent those idiot two wheelers from causing dents. At the same time, Aluminum doesn't have enough strength to hold on in a crash, thus not affecting crumple zones.

Is my logic correct?
aby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 23:25   #40
BHPian

Bull bars don't make sense from any perspective, far from protecting anything it will probably damage the chassis of your car in a hard impact and put the driver and passengers at risk, affecting crumple zone and airbag deployment.

Even worse it a huge threat to pedestrians first and other road users and on that count itself it is highly irresponsible to sport this. The RTO should definitely enforce this. Let the bumper do its job.

Last edited by raul : 16th February 2011 at 23:28.
raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 23:35   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I need one for the back side too - another bike rear-ended me today :(
This is a problem which I face during my commutes inside city confines.

I do not have a rear bull-bar/bumper and every minute or two I allow Motorcyclists to cross me & move ahead. But, almost once a month, some one dumb hits me from behind. (Stationery Car 9 times out of 10).

The cyclists too keep on rubbing your bumper from behind. (They don't use brakes & depend on the Car's bumper to stop them, same applies for cycle rick-shaw). Any way out of this mess

99.99% Cars at my place have rear bumper fitted to save their bumper from superficial damage and I just H-A-T-E to put them on.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 00:25   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
Folks,

I am planning to fix bull guards my Safari. Idea is not to intimidate other vehicles but safeguard my black Safari from those bikers who like to drive within microns of it. Nothing pains more than seeing a scratch on my new SUV..
Is it legal to fix them on SUVs?
Please, please just... don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
But I feel they look good only on SUV/MUVs. I hate to see some people use them on hatchbacks and sedans.
They don't look good on anything. They are just a monument to stupid, macho ignorance.

Of all the many daily madnesses that pass for normal on Indian roads, this is one that particularly gets to me, as you might see from my signature.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 04:13   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Unlike the 80's where 'safe' was measured by the thickness of metal, (amby was safer than the 800), modern day cars are much more safer, with much thinner metal, due the amount of engineering gone into the design. Crumple Zones et al.

Add a bull bar, and you throw years of research and hard work to trash.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 09:38   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
They don't look good on anything. They are just a monument to stupid, macho ignorance.

Of all the many daily madnesses that pass for normal on Indian roads, this is one that particularly gets to me, as you might see from my signature.
But seeing your beloved get hit every now and then without any mistake of yours is what pains me most. So in the spirit of Self Preservation I have no problems in retaining them. I will post pictures of my Innova( with bull bars) and NHC( without bull bars ofcourse). You guys can see the difference on your own.

My NHC. I got the bumper fixed twice before giving up.
Name:  P5163518.JPG
Views: 980
Size:  100.4 KB

My Innova with the protection . Perfect alignment even after 50k Kms.
Are "bull bars" legal in India?-photo0022.jpg
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 15:02   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

If a scratch on your car hurts you more than a dead or seriously injured pedestrian, not to mention the possible damage to other people's "beloveds" then yours is the attitude we have to cope with --- and there seems little hope.

I make a strong, personal request to you, and to the many others who think the same way, to get educated* about this issue and to think about it --- please.

EDIT... that looks rude. It isn't meant to be rude, just blunt (unlike bullbars ). I well remember the day I "got educated" about wearing seatbelts. Even then, their necessity in rear seats was only part of my later education. Similarly, I didn't always know about the dangers of bull bars. Education is an ongoing process.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 17th February 2011 at 15:40.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote