Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 4th November 2013, 16:36   #46
BHPian

Default Re: October 2013 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Honda managers must be planting a good night kiss on the diesel engine, every night before hitting the sack. Thanks to the i-DTEC, Honda is now a regular player in the 5-digit club, closing October with 11214 cars. The Amaze sells almost 10,000!!

What the Amaze is to Honda, the EcoSport is to Ford. The compact SUV is slowly & steadily chewing its way through the 12-month long order list. 5100 dispatches isn't as high as expected for the EcoSport, albeit that's because of the export commitments.
The M-o-M figures of the above are interesting. Amaze up 43%, EcoSport down 17%. Though both are competitively priced, hit the markets post frenzied anticipation, and are hampered to a certain extent by production constraints, could the decline in EcoSport numbers have something to do with the tricks played by Ford and its dealers during the initial few weeks? Surely the negative pre-sales reports flooding the forum wouldn't have helped EcoSport numbers.

Last edited by GTO : 5th November 2013 at 10:20. Reason: PM coming up
Old 4th November 2013, 17:55   #47
BHPian

As quoted by someone in this thread; I am really very surprised to see that Hyundai has not launched an Accent replacement till now. Usually they are good at anticipation; launching the i10 before the sales of the Santro went down. Launching the Accent to compete against the Lancer, City combination way before the Fiesta/Aveo/Dzire came in. Launching the Verna before the Vento/Rapid/3rd gen City/SX4 were launched. They always had the first mover advantage and more importantly the classic ability to tell the future.

So why the wait for the Accent replacement? Its not like they were clueless about it or had not seen it coming. The i20-based sedan should come NOW (and even then it will be a little late).

Oh and Hyundai if you are reading this; you might want to plonk you new i10 Grande diesel into the Accent mill and give it one last shot of adrenaline. There are a lot of buyers out there who look for a classic sedan shape with a diesel engine; even if it is underpowered. Just ask the original Fiesta buyers or the Lancer Diesel buyers or even the Linea Classic buyers.
Old 4th November 2013, 18:11   #48
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 5th November 2013 at 10:21.
INDIAN_VAGABOND is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th November 2013, 18:33   #49
BHPian

Much awaited thread, but sad to see that Chevy with it capable cars cannot sell more. They can think of offering discounts on the existing Cruze and come up with a updated one, not just by changing the headlamps, air dam and bumpers. Updated Cruze with a competitive pricing would give some competition to new Octavia. I would say Honda is late to the party, they could have topped the sales chart by now if they had launched the diesel mill a year earlier or so.
Old 4th November 2013, 18:39   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
As quoted by someone in this thread; I am really very surprised to see that Hyundai has not launched an Accent replacement till now. Usually they are good at anticipation; launching the i10 before the sales of the Santro went down. Launching the Accent to compete against the Lancer, City combination way before the Fiesta/Aveo/Dzire came in. Launching the Verna before the Vento/Rapid/3rd gen City/SX4 were launched. They always had the first mover advantage and more importantly the classic ability to tell the future.

So why the wait for the Accent replacement? Its not like they were clueless about it or had not seen it coming. The i20-based sedan should come NOW (and even then it will be a little late).

Oh and Hyundai if you are reading this; you might want to plonk you new i10 Grande diesel into the Accent mill and give it one last shot of adrenaline. There are a lot of buyers out there who look for a classic sedan shape with a diesel engine; even if it is underpowered. Just ask the original Fiesta buyers or the Lancer Diesel buyers or even the Linea Classic buyers.
Verna is accent's replacement, it actually got a longer rope than expected. The Eon is supposed to replace Santro, Hyundai doesn't seem to have the guts to pull the plug on Santro though.
Old 4th November 2013, 19:01   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonRider View Post
Glad to see that the festive season didn't utterly disappoint the auto industry
Just read a report on firstpost mentioning that auto companies in Pune area are going on an extended shutdown going till mid of Nov. Why? Because they flooded the dealer pipeline in anticipation of a spike in sales, which did not happen. People are holding back their expenses. Some of the dealerships have inventory buildup of 8 weeks. I guess the picture is not that rosy as the numbers here show! My two cents.
Old 4th November 2013, 19:29   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorePower View Post
The M-o-M figures of the above are interesting. Amaze up 43%, ES down 17%. Though both are competitively priced, hit the markets post frenzied anticipation, and are hampered to a certain extent by production constraints, could the decline in ES numbers have something to do with the tricks played by Ford and its dealers during the initial few weeks? Surely the negative pre-sales reports flooding the forum wouldn't have helped ES numbers.
Ecosport frenzy might have subsided, but the current drop in numbers has nothing to do with it. They have a huge backlog from existing bookings, so if they roll out enough numbers, they could easily clock 5 digit numbers. But, i guess, they are concentrating more on shipping their productions abroad.
Old 4th November 2013, 19:38   #53
BHPian

Fantastic Work GTO, rated 5 stars.

Hyundai i10 needs a price correction.

Hyundai eon needs a heart transplant. The three cylinder mill in the Eon is a put off with non linear power delivery and poor NVH.

Hyundai Santro has run its course and Hyundai should not compromise the chances of the more contemporary Eon in-order to keep the Santro alive. They need to back the Eon fully as it has the potential to bring big numbers for Hyundai.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 4th November 2013 at 19:40.
Old 4th November 2013, 20:02   #54
BHPian

Thanks GTO & Parrys & everybody else if i have missed someone. for bringing us this report. I was eagerly waiting for this.

I have one question guys.

I have been in the market for a very long time to buy a new car, I am sure many of you have seen my posts.
I really want to get myself ford classic diesel titanium, for its wonderful chassis, vfm and that workhorse engine. do you think its a good move ? looking at the charts i can see classic sold 801 units in october which is not bad.
Old 4th November 2013, 21:36   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post

Ecosport frenzy might have subsided, but the current drop in numbers has nothing to do with it. They have a huge backlog from existing bookings, so if they roll out enough numbers, they could easily clock 5 digit numbers. But, i guess, they are concentrating more on shipping their productions abroad.
Sure. As I said, supply contraints are one of the reasons for not so impressive numbers. But I know people on and off this forum who've cancelled their bookings or have decided not to book at all with all the not-so-pleasant stories rolling out of the dealerships. There is no way to quantify the impact but when you juxtapose ES with Amaze, and their respective numbers, its hard not to dwell on this aspect.
Old 4th November 2013, 22:11   #56

Thanks GTO for the great analysis. Just a query...does the increase in Mahindra XUV 5OO sales (almost 50% MOM) indicate that they've sorted out their niggles with the revamp? What does the outlook look like?
Old 4th November 2013, 23:08   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_vivekpatil View Post
Thanks GTO for the great analysis. Just a query...does the increase in Mahindra XUV 5OO sales (almost 50% MOM) indicate that they've sorted out their niggles with the revamp? What does the outlook look like?
The jump in XUV numbers could be attributed to the W4 variant, which M&M has recently introduced. How good it would have been, had all the manufacturers disclosed the variant wise figures, in this case W4, W6, W8 & AWD etc.
Old 5th November 2013, 00:51   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
The Eon is supposed to replace Santro, Hyundai doesn't seem to have the guts to pull the plug on Santro though.
It would be interesting to find out how many companies would have the guts to pull the plug on a car that sells an average of 3,000 cars per month. In fact, none of cars from GM have sold more than the Santro in October 2013. In fact, the 'outdated' single-engine Santro has even outsold the dual-engine cars like Ford Figo, Toyota Liva and GM Beat. And at a time of intense competition from so many competent hatches, it a tribute that the Santro can STILL generate 3000+ sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
Hyundai Santro has run its course and Hyundai should not compromise the chances of the more contemporary Eon in-order to keep the Santro alive. They need to back the Eon fully as it has the potential to bring big numbers for Hyundai.
Why should a cook discard a tried and tested 15-yr-old recipe especially when it still generates mouth-watering aroma? In my opinion, the older Santro is as capable a car as the Eon and more importantly, it has built a loyal following over the years. Why, if I had a budget of about Rs 4 lakh, I would blindly pick up the Santro as a simple, efficient, no-nonsense car that will deliver with considerable reliability for quite some time. Hyundai seems to have no problem serving a wider spread on the buffet table, as long as there are people lined up for the banquet to choose the dish of their choice.

The question, therefore, is: Should a company keep alive a car because it is more contemporary or because it rakes in the sales?
misquitas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th November 2013, 08:03   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
The jump in XUV numbers could be attributed to the W4 variant, which M&M has recently introduced.
Has Mahindra already launched W4 variant of XUV500? I don't think so. Atleast the website not showing W4 variant. I am sure there are leaked information available on web.
Old 5th November 2013, 08:24   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Has Mahindra already launched W4 variant of XUV500? I don't think so. Atleast the website not showing W4 variant. I am sure there are leaked information available on web.
As per the news item published in ACI on Oct 23, 2013, the W4 XUV500, was expected to be launched in the days just before Diwali. Refer the link below.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...kh-361645.aspx

It could be that to cater to the demand once launched, M&M may be piling up the inventory at dealer stockyards. Since the Oct 13 sales figures are the dealer dispatches, there is a strong possibility that a majority of them would be W4 variants.
Closed Thread