Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 5th November 2013, 16:45   #16
BHPian

Default Re: The Mahindra Quanto's poor sales. What's the way forward?

A normal person in India doesnot understand a lot of technicalities about suspension or anything else.
First 3 questions we all know is:
1) Styling quite associated with status also.
2) Kitna deti hai?
3) Reliability knowledge from word of mouth through relatives/friends.

Where Quanto fails is in point 1. It looks very disproportionate to a common eye. Anyone can easily make out that its chopped off version of Xylo and made to fit a pre-decided length (which makes matter worse).
Although on engineering front I do support Mahindra for in the budget whatever they have done is good enough.
I am not a big fan of styling curves (although who doesnot like a good looking vehicle) but why I would not go for a Quanto is:
1) I simply doubt the dynamics of this vehicle. A very tall body with a short base doesnot fit well with engineering dynamics.
2) Suspension setup.
3) Rear seat incline. To accomodate extra 2 people they have ruined comfort of 3 people on the middle seat. Not at all a good design intent.

The things which tempt me for Quanto are:
1) Price.
2) Good underpinnings and real SUV stuff there.
3) Interiors is more than enough for me to bear with.
4) Good fuel efficient engine with good NVH and driveability.
amit_purohit20 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 17:39   #17
BHPian

People do not want to be seen buying & driving a jugaad. It is an irony for that to happen in India, where improvisation is a way of life. Note "buying and driving" - since buying a car is an aspiration ... where the the budget consumer is risk averse yet image conscious.

I believe this is the reason why Tata Nano failed as well. Nobody wanted to be seen buying and driving the world's cheapest car. They would love to get their hands on "khushiyon ki chaabi" though. That is why Alto is still #1 seller.

Quanto's competition was always from Hatchbacks, and not MUVs and SUVs. There are plenty of great hatchbacks around to ensure that Quanto fills only a niche area. Which I believe it does perfectly well. But then sales are according to this niche.
aditya101 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 17:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple_car View Post
The quanto is a spacious and pretty comfortable 5 seater with the boot space of the sedan (if you, like me, were to remove the rear-most jump seats) with a good ground clearance. From what I am reading on this forum (cannot comment on the general public's sentiment since I don't know about that), it's the looks which are the bane of most.
On the middle row seats, its definitely not as comfortable as the middle row of Xylo, which was easily attainable if they didn't try to make it a 7-seater. When I heard about an upcoming mini-SUV based on Xylo, I was counting on 5 really comfortable seats but my experience gave me the impression of a 2+5 instead of a 5+2.

We had covered Manali-Leh-Srinagar trip in a Xylo and it was certainly much more comfortable than a Scorpio, which some of my friends hired when they went a few months before we did. They actually suggested Xylo over Scorpio based on their experience and that was probably the best suggestion we got for that trip. We had almost finalized on Scorpio and wouldn't have chosen Xylo without this advice. One of my colleagues ended up buying a Xylo hearing us praise the car.
zenren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 18:29   #19
BHPian

First of all, they shouldn't have made the quanto based on Xylo.
Xylo itself doesn't appeal much to people. It has boxy, not so modern looking body but it doesn't look that odd on Xylo as it looks on Quanto.
Quanto having a huge body and small wheels looks kind of like Nano's elder brother.

Here's what I'm talking about:
The Mahindra Quanto's poor sales. What's the way forward?-tatanano201207.jpg
The Mahindra Quanto's poor sales. What's the way forward?-mahindraquanto06.jpg

If they really want the sales to go up, they should come up with a better looking fresh design like how Ford came up with Ecosport.
Car_Freak_911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 18:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I feel the main thing going against the Quanto / Xylo is their awful design.
Agree completely with you!

I like the Scorpio, I like the XUV even though it an "overdone" vehicle in terms of design, I can adjust to the looks of Bolero as a rugged off-roader (?). But Xylo? No way! What an ugly face it has! For making the passenger compartment bigger, they reduced the bonnet area to create this ugly creature.
romeomidhun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 18:34   #21
BHPian

I think M & M is more interested in testing waters of the compact SUV segment and their new 100 bhp three cylinder engine.

Bolero's 2523 cc engine generates lower power and torque compared to the Quanto's which is 1493 cc.

The new engine's rated mileage of 17.21 kmpl is also more than that of Bolero.

I believe this engine will be quite important for Mahindra, small enough to be put in a hatchback and powerful enough to power an SUV.

The new compact SUV that is being readied by M & M may use this engine.

What M & M has done with the Quanto is to make the Xylo look good with the launch of the Quanto.

Last edited by simplyself : 5th November 2013 at 18:35.
simplyself is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 19:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

Contrary to popular belief, I actually like the Quanto. However, I would definitely need a far more stable and composed ride.
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 20:54   #23
BHPian

This is among the multiple launches which mahindra did in the last 1-2 years. Xuv 500, quanto, e2o, verito, verito vibe and Ssangyong rexton are the recent launches. Quanto's third row of seats are not suitable for adults and are very uncomfortable. M&M has overdone the family look with similar looking grills for xuv500, xylo and quanto. After Scorpio mahindra haven't been able to come up with a killer product which has a long product cycle. From what I read in team bhp xuv500 has quality issues and sales have lost momentum afterbthe initial success.

This year the company is expected to grow sales and profits inspite of slowdown in UV sales because of robust growth in tractor sales.
Drivethru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 21:25   #24
BHPian

The Quanto is a totally different offering altogether in comparison to Bolero and one cannot have an apple to apple comparison amidst the two . A lot has been said about its looks , However looks are subjective but we all can safely agree to the fact that Quanto is not a looker . Now that the product is already developed and on sale for past 1 yr , one can`t really play a lot with its looks but one can surely make changes which might compel the consumers making a stop by to Mahindra showrooms .
In the end its all about generating business and taking profit home , Isn`t it?

So Mahindra clearly needs to demarcate its target audience for Quanto and align it to their needs

For example , If it happens to be the Urban consumers
1. Improve the interiors (Imperative for urban consumers, can make or break deals)
2. Offer music System and ABS from 2nd Variant (C4).
3. Introduce a 4*4 variant as none of its peers (Duster & Ecosport have it as yet)
4. Add all the above features and relaunch it with a different price tag

Above all they need to Plan an aggressive promotion campaign because as far as I remember Mahindra have been too optimistic about this product doing well and they haven`t been aggressive at all about it.
praveear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 23:09   #25
Senior - BHPian

I wonder if M&M can pull off another Scorpio like hit. 10 years on, it still beats many SUVs twice its price in looks. Not just looks but performance, relaibility, ease of maintenance and cheap spares. Xylo itself was never a looker and they spawned a baby-Xylo? A baby-Scorpio would have done wonders. Park Quanto next to Ecosport and Duster and see how it looks. I don't have words to describe it.
pgsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2013, 23:52   #26
BHPian

I used to drive almost all new vehicles on road and to be frank, quanto is
the worst car i have driven in recent times, be it with design, engine, steering, gear shift, handling, plastics, i dont know. Only positive thing i found was the space, still the upright back bench is another flaw.
But i was shocked to see the response of many auto mags, projecting the plus es rather than minus..why you need a 'mini suv' which looks like a half cut muv, without any real offroad nor onroad manners? for quanto money, you can buy an international hatch back or lower mid size sedan. I think people are wise enough to know the marketing bluffs and thats why after the initial pull, quanto show has gone down and going to a flop!
autobalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 00:35   #27
Team-BHP Support

The fundamental problem with the Quanto is the fact that it's a botched up chop-job that even someone like Leepu wouldn't be proud of.

The R&D guys at Mahindra had a few numbers in mind when they decided to make the Quanto. 4 meters, 7 seats, 100 crores.

On paper, it does sound like a competent product. Frugal and punchy engine, spacious cabin, high ground clearance, benefits from tax-reductions.. Unfortunately, I don't think they analyzed the market well enough.

The typical compact-SUV customer would be a someone who drives a hatch or sedan. So it would be perfectly reasonable for him to expect a compact crossover / vehicle with the appearance and versatility of a SUV (higher ground clearance, more space) without compromising on size and car-like ride quality / road manners. This is where cars like the Duster and EcoSport shine and abominations like the Quanto fail to deliver.

When I drove it for the first time, I was not impressed at all. The ride was not pliant, the handling was downright scary and I personally believed that it could do with a lot more refinement. The whole thing shuddered to silence when I turned the key and switched off the engine. And don't even get me started on the way it looks. It's appalling!

The problem is, it's neither here nor there. The Bolero is a proper people-mover, the Scorpio sits a segment higher and the Xylo is somewhere in between. That left the Quanto in no-man's land.

The Quanto's sales regularly clocked 4-digits right up till the moment the EcoSport was launched. And after that, with every passing month, the numbers continued to drop. It's no surprise that Mahindra has begun developing a proper compact-SUV. If only they had set aside a few years in the beginning and had decided to develop it instead of running around trying to chop an existing UV in a bid to be the first ones off the mark, they would have had a very competent product that would have enjoyed Scorpio / Bolero / XUV-like success right from the start.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th November 2013 at 00:40. Reason: typo
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 06:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

Way forward is for Mahindra to do an "Ecosport". Leverage the monocoque from the XUV.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 07:43   #29
BHPian

What is the way forward for The Quanto?
Sadly, I don't see a way forward. Right from the day Mahindra launched The Quanto, I realised they are underestimating Market intelligence.

1. Chopping an MUV does not make it a compact SUV.
2. Compact UVs are targeted at urban audiences. But you can't do that with a botched up design and Spartan interiors.
3. If you are targeting rural areas, you are wrong because for them The Bolero makes much better sense.
4. For majority, the third row is a joke but they had to have the third row because, they needed relaxed emission norms for the new engine. To make matters worse, the third row rendered the second row uncomfortable.
5. You chopped the length of a vehicle that is already famous for rolling and pitching on roads and forgot to reduce the height?

If Mahindra is serious about the compact UV space, they need a more contemporary design, better interiors and much better driving dynamics. Otherwise if intention is just to leverage the common platform between two models and go about it as it is now Quanto would do.

I had always felt that the Quanto won't add on to Mahindra's numbers in a huge way and in the long run, the combined figures of Quanto and Xylo would be more or less what it was for the Xylo alone earlier.

Last edited by vibbs : 6th November 2013 at 07:46.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2013, 09:45   #30
BHPian

In My opinion, M&M can change the quanto from MUV to a proper Mini SUV.

1) reduce the height ( its too tall)
2) change the front to an SUV like stance rather than existing slope

here is my rendering.
The Mahindra Quanto's poor sales. What's the way forward?-47.jpg
groom is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote