Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 5th February 2014, 13:18   #376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
About the 1.2 turbo petrol engine, yes its really nice of Tata to come up with one. But do we know how it drives? How is the refinement or FE? Does it have any reliability issues? Why is the power output so low, even lower than some of the naturally aspirated 1.2l petrol engines?
We do not even know how it drives and u already made a statement that it is a let down because of low output. Doesn't that look like a made up point just because it is a Tata ? I am not expecting the engine to be a better performer that the K Series. But then, that added torque figure "might" make a lot of difference. Let's wait before we can start bashing.

Last edited by bblost : 5th February 2014 at 16:44.
Old 5th February 2014, 13:48   #377
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Falcon hatchback, compact saloon to debut at 2014 Auto Expo *EDIT* Now unvei

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt
Quote:
About the 1.2 turbo petrol engine, yes its really nice of Tata to come up with one. But do we know how it drives? How is the refinement or FE? Does it have any reliability issues? Why is the power output so low, even lower than some of the naturally aspirated 1.2l petrol engines?

We do not even know how it drives and u already made a statement that it is a let down because of low output. Doesn't that look like a made up point just because it is a Tata ? I am not expecting the engine to be a better performer that the K Series. But then, that added torque figure "might" make a lot of difference. Let's wait before we can start bashing.
You know, initially, I thought it was because the existing gearbox couldn't handle more power, but now I don't think that is the case. The plausible explanation I can come up with for this, is the announcement of the TTR division.
It makes sense for Tata to tune the regular bolt for economy and even keep the power output low intentionally in order to differentiate it enough from the TTR version.

Last edited by aah78 : 5th February 2014 at 19:23. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 5th February 2014, 13:50   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't like the profile of the cars - too much similarity to the Vista and also the front grille. I am sure there are better looking cars in the market!

Though the 1.2 Revotron sounds exciting, the power output is a huge downer when we have more powerful naturally aspirated 1.2 petrol motors in the market.
Our Ikon has a naturally aspirated 1.6 litre engine which produces 91bhp and returns 12kmpl on gentler drives. My Nano's naturally aspirated 624cc engine develops 37bhp and returns around 20kmpl.

Which one would you choose as a daily drive?

Looks are entirely subjective.

And TaMo was indeed sleeping while the Nano was launched and the Revotron was designed.
honeybee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 17:09   #379
BHPian

Default Re: Tata Falcon hatchback, compact saloon to debut at 2014 Auto Expo *EDIT* Now unvei

Comments:

Looks:
Lots of influences from what I can see. The upper-part of the dashboard reminds me of Fiat Punto/Linea's. The steering wheel reminds me of Honda's. The rear reminds me of Honda Amaze's.

Runtime drive modes:
The sport/economy/cruise mode is definitely a wonderful thing to have! This reminds me of the "Wolfmoto remap" thread and is a segment-first in the country in a stock car. I take it that the EPS too would change based on the driving mode (heavier vs. lighter). Kartikeyan's input here perhaps?

TTR/performance trims:
I'm guessing that these performance trims would come with higher performance tunes, perhaps fully independent rear-suspension and disc brakes on all four.

Safety:
I might've missed this and the website says nothing. But I hope TATA makes a segment first here by providing the most comprehensive set of the alphabetic soup on the top-trim at least.

Eagerly looking forward to upcoming T-BHP reviews!

Last edited by nareshov : 5th February 2014 at 17:10.
Old 5th February 2014, 18:20   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
There is a difference between bashing and being skeptical. So far, everyone is speculating here as nobody knows how it drives. What we know so far about the engine is the power output which doesn't sound as impressive particularly for a turbo petrol motor but it might prove to be a great one. Who knows?
Old 5th February 2014, 18:29   #381
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What we know so far about the engine is the power output which doesn't sound as impressive particularly for a turbo petrol motor but it might prove to be a great one.
I am not sure if you have driven turbo petrols - else I would suggest to try Linea TJet and Honda City. The specs might tell a different story, but the action lower down the rev range is completely different in a turbo petrol. Makes it fun and punchy without having to revv the nuts off it.
Old 5th February 2014, 19:53   #382

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I am not sure if you have driven turbo petrols - else I would suggest to try Linea TJet and Honda City. The specs might tell a different story, but the action lower down the rev range is completely different in a turbo petrol. Makes it fun and punchy without having to revv the nuts off it.
Honda City has a naturally aspirated motor. Not turbocharged.

I have a feeling Tata gets harsh reviews because of their non-premium image. It's a serious shot from their side, and for what it's worth, must be given a fair shot before being written off.
Good start.
pratyush. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 19:57   #383
BHPian

Guys take a look at these pictures from the AutoExpo. Don't these mods look stunning?
Attached Thumbnails
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-1743522_10152169586057010_571944594_n.jpg  

On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-10072_10152169585942010_174747218_n.jpg  

On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-1796576_10152169585757010_1083791568_n.jpg  

On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-1610052_10152169585992010_173522803_n.jpg  

On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-1622668_10152169585742010_496656320_n.jpg  

hrn658276 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 20:11   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
This is my last reply on the topic. Just because the majority is going gaga over this and I am not does not mean I am writing off the product. I raised some questions/doubts but where did I write off the product? As I said earlier, it's definitely a big leap ahead for TM and I applaud that.

Yes, I have driven the Polo TSI 1.2 (which has much better power and torque figures though)and I know how a turbo one is different from a normal one. But, then some turbo motors have a lag and there is always a question on aspects like reliability. And Tata as a brand does not inspire confidence in me to put my money on some of their new innovative stuff but that's just me and I believe I am entitled to my opinion.

Peace out.

Last edited by adimicra : 5th February 2014 at 20:13.
Old 5th February 2014, 20:16   #385
Senior - BHPian

The specifications for the Nexon concept show the 1.2L New Generation Turbo-Charged Gasoline as the engine producing 110PS power and 170NM Torque. However the no. of cylinders is listed as 3!

Last edited by safari_lover : 5th February 2014 at 20:18.
Old 5th February 2014, 20:25   #386
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush. View Post
Honda City has a naturally aspirated motor. Not turbocharged
The other way round- TJet is the turbo petrol and City being the NA can provide a good comparison. City has higher figures on paper but TJet puts all that power and torque way lower in the useable range.
Quote:
This is my last reply on the topic. Just because I am not going gaga does not mean I am writing off the product. I raised some questions/doubts but where did I write off the product? As I said earlier, it's definitely a big leap ahead for TM and I applaud that. Yes, I have driven the Polo TSI 1.2 (which has much better power and torque figures though)and I know how a turbo one is different from a normal one. But, then some turbo motors have a lag and there is always a question on aspects like reliability. And Tata as a brand does not inspire confidence in me to put my money on some of their new innovative stuff. Peace out.
I'm not sure what I mentioned in my post to warrant such a rude reply!

Will make note of the attitude and stay clear of such 'questions/ doubts' from now on.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 20:36   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Indeed, I think Tata has put good effort to make features stand out. For ex: look at this image below where I've boxed an indication in yellow. I think the MID showing the exact door(s) open is not a feature available in regular hatchbacks/sedans (and is a feature in more premium vehicles) [feel free to correct me if wrong, this is just my assumption from what I've seen on many cars].

Well although not in an exactly same manner, but this is what my Punto's MID shows

On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-1391612599190.jpg

There is a beep that goes off when you start the car with any of the doors open including the boot and the exact door that is open also flashes in the MID. The beep comes on only if the engine is running, however the indication on the MID is there even if the car is on battery power.
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 21:06   #388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrn658276 View Post
Guys take a look at these pictures from the AutoExpo. Don't these mods look stunning?
Love the alloy wheel on the Bolt. I like the red lip on the grill but would let go off the red ORVM strip.
Old 5th February 2014, 22:00   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I have driven the Polo TSI 1.2 (which has much better power and torque figures though)and I know how a turbo one is different from a normal one. But, then some turbo motors have a lag and there is always a question on aspects like reliability. And Tata as a brand does not inspire confidence in me to put my money on some of their new innovative stuff but that's just me and I believe I am entitled to my opinion.
On the turbolag part that you mention though holds true for the turbo petrol, the other segment comparison being the 1.2 iVtec isn't great in the low revs either. So does that not nullify the turbo lag effect of the turbo petrol when the 1.2 iVtec needs to be revved to get going. The 1.2 iVtec engine revs freely and makes power at higher rpms where as the 1.2 TSi though has turbolag, its easily masked by the DSG gearbox and one does not need to rev it higher up to get that torque of the 1.2 TSI motor.

But its a step ahead in the right direction for TATA motors and the segment it would probably compete in, the competitors has gone nowhere and left TATA years behind.

Last edited by nkrishnap : 5th February 2014 at 22:04.
Old 5th February 2014, 22:28   #390
Senior - BHPian

Check out the ground clearance of the Zest. Everything looks and SOUNDS SO PERFECT in this car from the looks and stats of it, if the quality is perfect, this will sends shivers down the spine of anyone bbbrrrrrrrrr. Can't wait to get behind the wheel of this and test drive it.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread