Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 5th June 2014, 09:47   #706
BHPian

Default re: On the Tata Bolt Hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atif View Post
Hi Guys,

Could anyone let me know, on Zest's AMT performance on hilly region (Both petrol and Diesel versions).

Would there be any freaking moments !! when AMT works on hills ? Kindly Advice.
Not sure what you mean by freaking moments, but you will just have to wait for the launch to get reviews about performance.

Good to see the Tata's extensively testing their products before launching. Hopefully most issues should be ironed out before launch.
bigben is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 09:50   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Media drive happening next month. Tweet from Editor of Top Gear India.

Attachment 1247087
Where are they having this event? Any more news? Like launch date etc?
Old 5th June 2014, 10:18   #708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
Not sure what you mean by freaking moments, but you will just have to wait for the launch to get reviews about performance.

Good to see the Tata's extensively testing their products before launching. Hopefully most issues should be ironed out before launch.
I went through the official review on Celerio AMT, and found below response by admin:

Originally Posted by Rehaan
Understanding the AMT better:

• If you're lugging uphill (not pressing the accelerator) and the incline or load gets too much for the car, it won't accelerate any further. Instead, the AMT will just disengage the clutch and you start rolling backwards!

This seems odd and unsafe. Does it mean that one needs to constantly press the accelerator when driving uphill - or else, the car might slowdown and start rolling backwards?

So this is the reason for asking about freaking moments.
Old 5th June 2014, 11:29   #709
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Where are they having this event? Any more news? Like launch date etc?
Event is happening somewhere in India. Not sure of launch date but it shouldn't be too far is my guess!
Old 5th June 2014, 11:33   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Event is happening somewhere in India. Not sure of launch date but it shouldn't be too far is my guess!
What I wanted to ask was, where in India, as if we could know, it may be easier to get/source what happened there. Anyhow, as 'press' would be there, we will come to know eventually. As far as launch is concerned, Tata better do it as early as possible, as the two cars would be in the hottest segments and any delay could deter their chances.
Old 5th June 2014, 11:41   #711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atif View Post
I went through the official review on Celerio AMT, and found below response by admin:

Originally Posted by Rehaan
Understanding the AMT better:

• If you're lugging uphill (not pressing the accelerator) and the incline or load gets too much for the car, it won't accelerate any further. Instead, the AMT will just disengage the clutch and you start rolling backwards!

This seems odd and unsafe. Does it mean that one needs to constantly press the accelerator when driving uphill - or else, the car might slowdown and start rolling backwards?

So this is the reason for asking about freaking moments.
You are quite right Atif in pointing the disadvantage of the AMT in Auto mode. However if you read further down, shifting to the manual mode before the ghat section will give you great advantage. Reproducing the section from Celerio review below:

"It's always a good idea to switch to manual mode before your favourite ghat section, because it prevents sudden and unsettling gear changes mid-corner. 0-100 times are also best tried in manual mode, but they certainly won't match up to the true manual Celerio. Why? Because there's no way to dump the clutch and get a hard launch on the AMT, along with the faster gearshifts that a good driver can pull off. An advantage of manual mode is that you can increase the amount of engine braking when going downhill. It's quite effective, although not as aggressive as in a pure MT. A good thing is that the AMT doesn’t ever free-wheel (some dual-clutch ATs do). It always keeps the clutch & gearbox engaged, resulting in better control.

Hill starts require that you use the correct procedure in order to minimize rollback. There's even a sticker on the driver's door advising you to use the handbrake to aid starting on an incline. When starting off on a hill, switching your foot immediately from the brake to accelerator will result in the Celerio rolling back....before it engages the clutch and moves forward. On a steep hill, the car can roll back as much as 3 feet before moving forward. It's dangerous, and also bad for the clutch in terms of wear & tear and overheating. In fact, there's a special 'transaxle overheating' warning light just for this. Thus, it's best to use the parking brake when starting off on an incline. This results in only an inch or two of rollback and a very gradual start-off. A 'Hill Hold' braking function would have been a neat addition to the Celerio.

I'd also like to add that the AMT manages the clutch & gearbox a lot better than sub-par drivers out there. There's no doubt that it is more talented than a below-average driver in choosing when to shift, how to shift and what gear to be in."
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2014, 13:39   #712
Senior - BHPian

Actually automatics fare better uphill than manuals. I'm not sure about AMT but in case of a conventional torque converter, it holds good. My A-Star AT performs much better in gradients than A-Star MT. I've tried both up the same incline with same load, just to test, and found that, AT flies uphill compared to MT.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 11:28   #713
Senior - BHPian

Just now saw the AutoCar show on Bloomberg TV. Initially I thought that they would show the plans of TML for the upcoming Zest and Bolt launches. However they showed their International Automotive Research Center based in University of Warwickshire. It seems a lot of parts of the Zest and Bolt have been developed and thoroughly tested over here. Hope this helps TML to make their cars as reliable as ever.

Here is the link of that video----->http://m.autocarindia.com/Videos/Video.aspx?CIID=387704

Last edited by AutoIndian : 7th June 2014 at 11:37.
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2014, 12:10   #714
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
...It seems a lot of parts of the Zest and Bolt have been developed and thoroughly tested over here. Hope this helps TML to make their cars as reliable as ever.

Here is the link of that video----->..
I really liked the switch gears shown in the video - looks much premium than the current gen Swift.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th June 2014 at 12:12.
Old 7th June 2014, 13:48   #715
Senior - BHPian

Man! The Zest looks too good in the grey matt - finished shade. Interiors look top class. Countdown begins for TML.
Old 8th June 2014, 14:38   #716
Senior - BHPian

Motoroids reader Praveen Jadhav has caught the Zest in camouflage being tested on NH-4. Below is the YouTube video of the same.

Old 8th June 2014, 18:27   #717
BHPian

Question On the Tata Bolt & Zest

Hello Everyone,

Can anyone educate me why Tata is camouflaging Zest & Bolt. AFAIK they have already been unveiled in February.

Is it mandatory for manufacturers to camouflage their vehicles for testing in India?

Thanks.
Old 8th June 2014, 18:50   #718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
You are quite right Atif in pointing the disadvantage of the AMT in Auto mode.
This is rather shocking as the previous gen Indica eV2 is available with Hill hold control, and this seems like a step backwards!
Old 8th June 2014, 19:39   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
This is rather shocking as the previous gen Indica eV2 is available with Hill hold control, and this seems like a step backwards!
Hee hee, I remember smiling to myself when I read about 'hill hold' on the eV2.It is actually a very common capability among ECU controlled diesel's, given a fancy new avatar by the marketing guys.

The fuel available to the engine when accelerator is not pressed (idling) is increased when the engine cannot sustain idling (say for e.g. On an incline, first gear climb) So using this, a driver doesn't needs to press the accelerator for an uphill stop-go situation.He can control the crawl using the clutch and brake.

Someone told me once that age old Direct injection Mahindra jeeps could do the same,uphill.

Actual hillhold, comes on automatics, where the torque converter is given just enough juice to keep the vehicle still. If we want to do the same on an AMT, the computer would have to slip the clutch, which would take a lot more accurate sensing of the clutch position and faster clutch wear.

Last edited by nijelj : 8th June 2014 at 19:45.
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2014, 19:57   #720
BANNED

Just saw the Tata Zest on Overdrive - Matt Grey edition. Absolutely smoking hot. I would happily pay 9 lakhs for the top end edition of this beauty.

Only question left is, Diesel (Fiat 1.3 MJD 90HP?) or Petrol - Revotron?

Last edited by gsurya : 8th June 2014 at 20:03.
Closed Thread