Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 10th July 2014, 22:28   #916
Senior - BHPian

Default re: On the Tata Bolt Hatchback

Was TBHP invited by Tata Motors for the Media Test Drive?
Old 10th July 2014, 22:43   #917
BHPian

Few things I noticed just now in the new Zest:

There seems to be a slit on the column for seat belt. Not sure why we have this as dust and water can easily accumulate in this
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-zest1.jpg

This seems to be a mid variant. After all the pics we saw yesterday of top variant, AC controls in this one looks so ordinary. In fact I feel it looks bad with the stylish infotainment controls
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-tatazestdiesel2.jpg

Foldable keys
Name:  Zest 5.png
Views: 4158
Size:  615.2 KB

Boot space obstructed by huge hump on both sides
Name:  Zest 6.png
Views: 2676
Size:  453.1 KB

F-Tronic badge
Name:  Zest 4.png
Views: 2355
Size:  421.2 KB

LED tail lamps and DRLs in action
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-tatazest2.jpg
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-zest-3.png

Source: AutoCarIndia, RushLane, IndianAutoBlogs & Overdrive

Last edited by damager21 : 10th July 2014 at 22:45.
damager21 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 23:07   #918
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSTR View Post
Please please please do. I was so hopeful that the tweet was wrong
Team-bhp reviews are always published after official launch, when details about variants and most importantly, pricing are available, to have a fair analysis/comparison.

So please have patience.

Thanks,
Vishal.R is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 23:14   #919
BHPian

It seems just like the Maruti Celerio , the Tata Zest too would not have the fully loaded top end for the AMT by looking at the pictures .

If that is the case its very disappointing as most customers would not mind paying 40K more over the manual top end to have the luxury of automatic with all the bells and whistles. Personally i was looking for the fully loaded AMT Zest.
rosaf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 23:42   #920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSTR View Post
So you think some random scoundrel tweeting nonsense deserves our attention? Even a small background check would've indicated its a frivolous twitter account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Can you give the link of the tweet?
I saw his tweets (before they were 'protected') on searching for 'Team-BHP' on twitter. It seemed like some retard/disgruntled fool was venting his anger talking nonsense about the forum. Took screen-shots too, but I don't believe this fellow deserves the attention of the forum.
WorkingGuru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 00:49   #921
BHPian

In my opinion the car had the looks of a cross tourer from the front but the boot is not proportionate like the other sedans based on their hatchbacks
Old 11th July 2014, 10:27   #922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
In my opinion the car had the looks of a cross tourer from the front but the boot is not proportionate like the other sedans based on their hatchbacks
Of course looks are subjective, but for me personally this is the best integrated boot as far as all compact sedans we have here are concerned. You really have to look at it from the side profile to get a better idea and of course sometimes pictures dont give you a complete feel of the design till you see it in real.
Prafful_Rathod is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 10:46   #923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosaf View Post
It seems just like the Maruti Celerio , the Tata Zest too would not have the fully loaded top end for the AMT by looking at the pictures .

If that is the case its very disappointing as most customers would not mind paying 40K more over the manual top end to have the luxury of automatic with all the bells and whistles. Personally i was looking for the fully loaded AMT Zest.
+1 to that. Its ridiculous why such variants are not even launched. I've been waiting for a diesel auto (semi-auto) forever now. There was also all this talk of VW / Skoda launching the diesel auto and then this sudden surge of chatter about almost every manufacturer now getting onto the AMT wagon.

But stripping it down to ensure the top AMT variant does not get priced significantly above petrol top end sounds foolish to me. Tata probably anyway does not sell numbers enough to justify profitability of any variant!! So introducing a low selling top-end AMT diesel variant with all the bells and whistles will not pain / hurt them more than what the debacle with Aria or Nano did.

Pun aside, i seriously hope there is a top-end diesel AMT on par with top end petrol!
------------
Also, as a side note, i sense discussions pushing the expectations from the car to much higher than what the segment / pricing can match. Guess it happens each time a new car launch is on the anvil. But seriously, i would love to get a view on how the Zest fares vs. the Dzire or the Amaze in terms of quality and not just list of features!
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 11:03   #924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prafful_Rathod View Post
You really have to look at it from the side profile to get a better idea and of course sometimes pictures dont give you a complete feel of the design till you see it in real.
Yeah you maybe right, I'm yet to see it in person.
Old 11th July 2014, 11:15   #925
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prafful_Rathod View Post
Of course looks are subjective, but for me personally this is the best integrated boot as far as all compact sedans we have here are concerned. You really have to look at it from the side profile to get a better idea and of course sometimes pictures dont give you a complete feel of the design till you see it in real.
Yes the Zest boot is very goodlooking from the outside, but inside its seems poorly designed with the huge humps on both sides, clumsy like DZire. Lets see how it is in real life compared to the boots of Amaze & Xcent.
Old 11th July 2014, 11:49   #926
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosaf View Post
Personally i was looking for the fully loaded AMT Zest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
+1 to that. Its ridiculous why such variants are not even launched.
|
|
Pun aside, i seriously hope there is a top-end diesel AMT on par with top end petrol!
On the other hand, there are people like me who would want the basics covered first and then the bells and whistles. For me AC, Power windows and steering, ABS, Airbags, AMT (diesel) only would be perfect.

Of course, if you have the choice of AMTs in all variants, nothing like it.
Old 11th July 2014, 12:46   #927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Few things I noticed just now in the new Zest:
There seems to be a slit on the column for seat belt. Not sure why we have this as dust and water can easily accumulate in this
This is because the B-pillar trim is a carry-over from the Vista. Do not forget that the Zest is a very accomplished re-skinning of the competent Vista.

Quote:
This seems to be a mid variant. After all the pics we saw yesterday of top variant, AC controls in this one looks so ordinary. In fact I feel it looks bad with the stylish infotainment controls
Again, it looks like a Vista carry-over for the base and mid variants. Top variants with automatic climate control seems to have got bespoke control knobs

Quote:
Boot space obstructed by huge hump on both sides
Vista hard points were not changed, hence it is inevitable you will end up with considerable rear suspension intrusion.

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th July 2014 at 12:59. Reason: Fixing quotes
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 13:01   #928
BANNED

Most of the tweets (other than the photos leaked . . .) from the Tata Zest launch party in Goa have been about the food served, so far, from rice balls to fish. Fair enough, especially since I have never understood why motoring media claps at launch parties, maybe it is because that way food may get served faster?

At the '98 Tata Indica launch presided over by Ratan Tata himself, it was classier. Journos were assembled at the Tata Motors plant, given a drive-through tour of the production facilities, then provided Tata Indica cars diesel and petrol to do what they wanted to with on the factory test tracks. There was a table with water, simple Marie and Monaco biscuits, and tea-coffee served by factory canteen staff in the same utensils used by all Tata Motor employees.

We were allowed to do what we wanted to do with the cars. I recall driving one through the Army test track which also had a steep gradient - I drove it up in reverse and the Tata Motors youngsters were so confident that they suggested I do it with 5 people onboard. I recall the news clip I did for NDTV which was carried by other channels also and the print article in Outlook - in both of which I predicted that the Indica would be the workhorse of Indian roads.

All meals were simple vegetarian affairs at the Lake View Guest House across the road from Tata Motors, no booze, and Ratan Tata downwards eating the same food and mingling with us. I spotted many people senior enough in Tata Motors eating with their hands.

And most of all, motoring media in those days landed up at Pune/Pimpri on their own time and dime, paid their own way, made arrangements for their own accomodation. There was hospitality by way of airport drop after the event, and assistance in getting a good rate at the hotel in Pimpri, but even for arrival transfer, we took and paid for our own taxi.

Today a car launch is, in my opinion, nothing more than an ego boost for the marketing team who in this case can not even understand that a white/off-white dashboard is an idea that will not succeed in India. Start from there.

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th July 2014 at 09:43. Reason: Correcting Ratan Taat --> Ratan Tata. Thanks :)
malq is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 13:28   #929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Once a friend of mine said that the ones who say Fiat cars are no good are the ones who never owned one. Is that the case with you, that you never owned a Tata?
I have no experience with Tata A.S.S. but on this very forum, I have seen comments from real Tata owner about good/professional approach in providing services to existing owners.
Very true. +1 to that itsashishsharma. I was also in the same category until recently. That changed completely after my recent Nano purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Yes, it is not as good as Maruti's or Hyundai's but it is not as bad as Skoda's either, they are not looting customers or anything. Life cycle cost, believe me, should be lower than most (in my opinion, lowest), as there spare parts are cheaper and cars like Vista are fairly built so that customers only visit service centre for scheduled services.
Absolutely, TATA service is definetly making a good effort to improve customer satisfaction. For the couple of times i had been to the service area, their approach was very professional. Attribute it to a new customer, but i could not find any vexed owners in the lounge the couple of times i had been to the service areas.

Hope that they dont buck the trend and strive to improve further

Cheers
kutoos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 17:21   #930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
On the other hand, there are people like me who would want the basics covered first and then the bells and whistles. For me AC, Power windows and steering, ABS, Airbags, AMT (diesel) only would be perfect.

Of course, if you have the choice of AMTs in all variants, nothing like it.
Eddy, you will always get what you want then! At least compared to what my wants are!
But seriously, my point is that the top end variants of petrol, diesel, auto, non-auto or any such combination should at least be available as option. I always feel short changed by manufacturers. I hope tata plays fair this time.
Closed Thread