Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 14th July 2014, 22:20   #991
BHPian

Default re: On the Tata Bolt Hatchback

The TG review is lauding Tata for the first time on all grounds!
Let's see if Tata can make a success story out of it.

http://www.topgear.com/india/tata/re...zest/itemid-51
turbospooler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2014, 22:21   #992
BHPian

What is the expected price for the car. I believe anything above 5.5 lakh for base petrol and 6 lakh for base diesel (considering expensive turbocharged engine) at 6 lakh with the top end AMT retailing at less than 8 lakh will be the sweet spot. Initial pricing needs to be competitive to attract buyers from the other 3 cars. I think anything above this will just make this product a duct. All the Prices are ex showroom (delhi). What are the opinions of the other members?
Old 14th July 2014, 22:53   #993
Senior - BHPian

Some 'Journalists' (or rather IMO wordsmiths) seem to be finding it really hard to find faults with the car. Anyway, given people even simply compare features and prices, I think TATA has a massive chance they'd make the cut.

Nobody mentioned projector headlamps (or many such features for that matter). Honestly, I don't think many reviewers share the passion we have for cars here on Team-BHP.

Anyway, Really appreciate TATA for providing 3 power/ECU modes (AFAIK its only with the Revotron.) I hope to test drive the car soon and make out the difference for myself.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 14th July 2014 at 22:57.
GrammarNazi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 00:43   #994
Distinguished - BHPian

Just saw ACI video on Zest. Some of the noted points-

1. The three drive modes in the Revotron are just a hogwash and nothing spectacular.
2. Diesel AMT also gets a sport mode. Actually this point was not very much clear.
3. The sub 4m sedan doesn't get a centre arm rest at the rear seat. This is a VERY big omission from TATA

Still, seems this is an impressive product from their stable, and diesel with AMT might win this game for them.
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 02:04   #995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post

1. The three drive modes in the Revotron are just a hogwash and nothing spectacular.
2. Diesel AMT also gets a sport mode. Actually this point was not very much clear.
3. The sub 4m sedan doesn't get a centre arm rest at the rear seat. This is a VERY big omission from TATA

Still, seems this is an impressive product from their stable, and diesel with AMT might win this game for them.
1. Does the ECU not do anything here ? How can they advertise it with so much confidence ? Source of this info ?
2. I am not clear either ! It may be the usual Sports mode thingy available in all AT cars, which might help in upshifting at higher RPMs.
3. VERY big omission ? Come one man... You get a Harman with 8 speakers and an auto box (ok, AMT). And a handrest at the rear is a VERY big omission ? Sounds like nitpicking. But yes, it is something that could have been there. But then, sub-4m sedans are meant to be low cost affordable sedans. For the others, there are Ventos and Citys which have more luxurious features.
Old 15th July 2014, 06:10   #996
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling that the price may not be as competitive as we are thinking primarily because I do not see them making compromises anywhere. They could have easily used the 75 bhp variant of the MJD but they chose 90 bhp variant instead. I think it will compete with Amaze/Xcent/Dzire straight on price.
Old 15th July 2014, 07:56   #997
BHPian

Sometimes I guess all journalist's get into this Critical Review phase and take the word criticism rather to seriously and tend to end up being critical of everything. I have read most reviews and tend to read between the lines.. while most have tried to be critical it seems they are having difficulty in finding faults and if one reads carefully you will notice most are critical of the diesel AMT and not much is being said of the Petrol. I wonder why one should always be critical and why can't one just point fact as fact and let it for people to make up their minds. I for one read everything and then go and do my own evaluation and then make my choice. I have had 6 years of Tata Car experience and not for once have i regretted my choice of the cars I have brought! Cheers TATA! I will say a Good job done!
Old 15th July 2014, 09:05   #998
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched the video reviews on the Zest. And the Diesel AMT looks very impressive. Hope Tata can price it well!

ACI says the three drive modes in the Revotron are not that different whereas powerdrift say there is considerable difference. Eagerly waiting for our review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Superb article on MotorBeam comparing Zest with Dzire.
Have they left the bonnet of the DZire open?

Front and rear shots, the Zest looks so much better than the DZire. Side profile, both sucks! But then, all 4m sedans do.

Last edited by deetjohn : 15th July 2014 at 09:09. Reason: Adding text.
Old 15th July 2014, 09:07   #999
BANNED

Quote:
The middle rear seat foldable armrest is not at all comfortable for the passenger sitting in the middle especially on long drives as its harder & the grooves make themselves felt with time, I have it on my Aveo.

I feel a proper backrest is better.
Old 15th July 2014, 09:16   #1000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
I wonder why one should always be critical and why can't one just point fact as fact and let it for people to make up their minds. I for one read everything and then go and do my own evaluation and then make my choice.
+1 to that. I also find these reviews to be rather downchasing to search for issues. Things which are segment firsts are to be welcome. Other manufacturers are giving you basic FGT with the same engine and a boring manual, whereas you get an option of opting for the AMT here coupled to the engine which drives Linea, a car from a different segment. This, IMO can only be good, it is totally understandable that this GB setup is not butter smooth, well if you want a diesel auto which is really smooth, go with the Verna then, shelling out ~4 lac more.
Old 15th July 2014, 09:16   #1001
BANNED

Having read the reviews on Zest, I can say that 90% this will be my next car - we want a 'drivers' petrol car.

Unless Punto 1.4P or Polo 1.2 manual TSi come out with spectacular pricing, I feel the Zest Revotron top end will be priced a lakh lower than the top ends of these other two.

If Zest can be priced at the Grand i10 levels, this will be massive hit like Ecosport.
Old 15th July 2014, 09:44   #1002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Superb article on MotorBeam comparing Zest with Dzire.
You can visibly see that the zest has much better ground clearance than the desire but I hope tata as some something to reduce body roll.
Old 15th July 2014, 10:07   #1003
BHPian

Quote:

1.If you watch the following PowerDrift video review of Zest, they seem to like the 3 modes and they did notice a difference between them. I may be wrong but I guess rainy conditions in Goa may have to some extent masked the difference in performance between the 3 modes. I don't think Tata will be stupid to put full page Ads on mock buttons.

2.In the following snap you get to see the AMT in Zest. While driving in A (Auto) mode, you can press on S (Sport) to get additional power.
Name:  AMT.png
Views: 1740
Size:  608.9 KB

3. I think the idea was to keep cost in control by cutting down on some of the features and prioritizing the ones which most prospective buyers would like to have. As per a recent article on RushLane, Tata will be selling body kits as accessory. Who knows, center arm rest could also be available at an additional cost.
damager21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 10:08   #1004
Distinguished - BHPian

I would want TATA to price this slightly lower than rest of the players even if Zest has better features & quality. TATA has to take a bit slower to gain the market share and they really need to play a safe game, to start with.

When I watched Power Drift review, they looked extremely impressed with the Revotron. The reviewer said, if the badges are hidden, there is NO way one would say this is a TATA!

I feel really sad that the man who made this happen is NOT there to share the lime light! He deserved to get any & every accolades this product brought for TATA. Mr. Karl Slym - take a bow Sir!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 15th July 2014 at 10:11.
swiftnfurious is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th July 2014, 10:10   #1005
Senior - BHPian

@Damager

One hell lot of a feature list that will bring cars almost 02 segments up to shame!!

Well done Tata. Just keep it coming and sweep the market
Closed Thread