Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 18th July 2014, 15:36   #1096
BHPian

Default re: On the Tata Bolt Hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by p'arth View Post
Seeing a lot of talk on possibility of base zest variant becoming a taxi. I believe unless the manufacturer itself wants to sell to the fleet companies the car/brand cannot tow the taxi route.

MUL also has a DZire LDi which has all the ingredients to have become a taxi but it was never encouraged by MUL hence did not succeed in becoming a taxi as much as Indigo/Logan did. Whereas in comparison Indigo/Logan etc. had always got the backing of their manufacters to go the taxi way due to the bulk bookings and immediate orders they get. Short term gain but long term brand damage.
Maruti does have a specific model for the taxi market - the Dzire Tour (in Ldi specs) which is the earlier model of the Swift Dzire; it's quite a common sight in Kolkata whereas you don't see any Logans or Etioses in Taxi Livery. It can also be registered for private use. That hasn't resulted in a fall in the desirability of the Dzire - not if we go by the monthly TBHP Sales Charts! A lot of countries like Finland, Germany, Norway and so on use the Mercedes E class as their standard taxicabs - that doesn't detract from the overall brand image of the E class among private buyers either.

Last edited by Babuda : 18th July 2014 at 15:51. Reason: adding content
Old 18th July 2014, 15:48   #1097
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Car makers can restrict dealers from registering car for commercial purposes and thereby can have control.
The customers always can register the car themselves. In Kerala, that's the normal procedure. In cities like Bangalore / Chennai, probably the dealers offer to register the vehicles as a convenience mode for the customers I believe (who do NOT have to run around). They also charge a hefty fee (bribe) in the name of handling charges.

So unless the company / dealers make the customers sign on some disclaimer / agreement that prevents the car from registering as a taxi, it's very much possible. Also for an operator who buy cars in lot, they would already have someone (other than dealer) to assist with registration. They would NOT be ready to pay 5K for each registration to the dealer.

Note:: Am NOT nit picking on anyone. Just trying to see whether there is a "legal" way any manufacturer can stop someone from registering a vehicle as taxi. I heard of this when Vista launched - but very soon, I saw even Vistas registered as taxis. So mostly there is NO rule as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babuda View Post
...That hasn't detracted from the overall brand value of the Dzire
Two reasons:

1. Dzire tour was launched ONLY after the new gen was released. So Dzire has a solid run (as private vehicle) for 5-6 years.
2. The ratio of private Dzires to taxi ones are miniscule.

More over, the current gen Dzire looks amply different from the Dzire tour.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 18th July 2014 at 15:53. Reason: Adding "Note" & second quote.
Old 18th July 2014, 16:37   #1098
BHPian

Can we restrict discussion in this thread on the attributes/sightings/reviews/information around Bolt/Zest? Rather than positioning of vehicles, marketing strategies, cribbing about TaMo (surprisingly not much of that here)?
Old 18th July 2014, 16:53   #1099
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Can we restrict discussion in this thread on the attributes/sightings/reviews/information around Bolt/Zest? Rather than positioning of vehicles, marketing strategies, cribbing about TaMo (surprisingly not much of that here)?
Sorry, but I think we should use this thread to discuss all about the Bolt & the Zest. However, if not, I will let the moderators take a call if we should refrain from discussing certain aspects of the cars. That is, of course my opinion.

And you agree that nobody's is bashing or cribbing about TML. Overall I see a positive tone in most of the posts, which is a rarity for TML in the recent times. This goes on to justify that a good product and a good attitude by the manufacturer is appreciated by all.

Regards,
Saket
Old 18th July 2014, 16:56   #1100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Update

Prerana Motors has started Pre-launch booking for the Zest. 5k or 10k refundable amount. The price for the car will be available in the coming week.
Getting ideas already motomaverick? Did you expect the AMT from Tata and would you have looked at it if you had not gotten the Grand i10?
Old 18th July 2014, 17:07   #1101
Senior - BHPian

Still waiting for the tbhp review.
Old 18th July 2014, 17:22   #1102
BHPian

With the base version of zest not having ABS and only the 75 HP version, I guess they have already lost a bunch of customers to honda
Old 18th July 2014, 18:21   #1103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Update

Prerana Motors has started Pre-launch booking for the Zest. 5k or 10k refundable amount. The price for the car will be available in the coming week.
Another update is that the Zest has reached a few big dealerships in the metros already. Still, not on display though.
Old 18th July 2014, 19:57   #1104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Getting ideas already motomaverick? Did you expect the AMT from Tata and would you have looked at it if you had not gotten the Grand i10?
Lol no Vidyut, not stepping into a Tata unless it climbs up to number 3 or its brand improves. Because if I want to sell it in future at the current trend I would loose more than 50% value for the Tata branded car.
Old 18th July 2014, 20:41   #1105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Another update is that the Zest has reached a few big dealerships in the metros already. Still, not on display though.
So cars are with some dealers but we are not supposed to see them?
Old 18th July 2014, 20:43   #1106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
With the base version of zest not having ABS and only the 75 HP version, I guess they have already lost a bunch of customers to honda
Yes Honda Amaze iDtec has ABS, but honestly how many people at THAT price point will choose safety+odd interiors over marginally less safety but good interiors+less crude sounding engine ?

Anyway, I guess the discussion will be meaningless speculation as neither the variant-wise feature list is available for Zest, nor are the prices declared. Furthermore even the Team-BHP review isn't available.
Old 18th July 2014, 21:04   #1107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
So cars are with some dealers but we are not supposed to see them?
Yes, unless you have a buddy in the dealership. They would NOT un-cover the vehicle till the launch date. They transport the vehicles early to make sure it reaches the dealership before time and don't get stuck up en-route.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 18th July 2014 at 21:06.
Old 18th July 2014, 21:17   #1108
Senior - BHPian

Zest was/is on display in Ambience Mall Gurgaon. Exterior looks/reminds of Indica with fancier front lights and hood lines like the new Fiesta. Didn't sit inside the car to check quality of interiors as too many people were flocking on the car. Upon a quick look there was good leg room at the rear.
Old 18th July 2014, 22:00   #1109
BHPian

Overdrive have uploaded their video review.There isn't anything new, but they have only spoken about the positives here unlike their text review.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 00:35   #1110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Yes Honda Amaze iDtec has ABS, but honestly how many people at THAT price point will choose safety+odd interiors over marginally less safety but good interiors+less crude sounding engine ?
You might have a point. honestly I cannot think of buying a vehicle without ABS. It has helped me in a few situations and inspires confidence.
Closed Thread