Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 19th July 2014, 06:19   #1111
BHPian

Default re: On the Tata Bolt Hatchback

I got a call from Tata Motors since I had registered for the Zest Drive. Top variant will have AIRBAGS!

Also another news for guys in Thane.. Balaji Motors will not sell the Zest or Bolt. TML has indicated that they will only be service centres. Bookings are being accepted. Petrol to launch first and then the diesel. Token amount bookings from a Tata vehicle owner is being accepted and delivery of the first vehicle can happen by Mid August - End August! I think ML has built up a stock pile or is doing so.. I was told the idea is to try and provide the best delivery time lines.

TML has opened up a channel called Direct Marketing which is taking the cars to the people..

Price range around 5.5 for Top variant is the expectation. If true will blow the Amaza and xcent away.
shashi63 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 06:22   #1112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Lol no Vidyut, not stepping into a Tata unless it climbs up to number 3 or its brand improves. Because if I want to sell it in future at the current trend I would loose more than 50% value for the Tata branded car.
BTW Motomaverick, I have a deal with TML which guarantees me 60% buy back value from TML for my Club Class Manza even after 3 years. I will buy the Zest as my second car and continue using the Black Beauty.. She is a class apart!

Plus I got 1.65 as buy back for my 5 year old Indica DLS turbo..so i guess i am not complaining! Have a safe drive and enjoy your i10

Last edited by shashi63 : 19th July 2014 at 06:43. Reason: addition
shashi63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 07:14   #1113
Senior - BHPian

Looks like both of this truck maker's cars won't scrape any of our infamous speed breakers.

Anyway, i would freeze my comment till an opinion comes about the suspension setup.
Old 19th July 2014, 09:03   #1114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
You might have a point. honestly I cannot think of buying a vehicle without ABS. It has helped me in a few situations and inspires confidence.
I think you are a bit confused. Tata is not selling its base variant with ABS and lower power output, as per the rumours. Why should that stop you from choosing from the other variants (probably 3 more)?

Let us give credit where it is due without unduly going into sweeping statements. They are just trying to provide 'more car per car' by launching a lower spec for people who can afford lesser.
discoverwild is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 10:12   #1115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
So cars are with some dealers but we are not supposed to see them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Yes, unless you have a buddy in the dealership. They would NOT un-cover the vehicle till the launch date. They transport the vehicles early to make sure it reaches the dealership before time and don't get stuck up en-route.
Yes, as swiftnfurious says, Zest has already reached some dealerships and is resting in their yards. But general people are not supposed to have a look till the launch of the car which will be sometime during the mid-August. However, no body is sure about the date as yet.
Also as I stated earlier, TML engineers are aware of the negative perception of their first batch of cars by the general public, hence they are playing very safe this time. All errors & problems are being looked after in detail before the final launch.

The car does not look too big from outside, but kudos to the designers, there is more than ample legroom for the tallest passengers, both at the front and rear. The interior build quality, the plastics used and the buttons, all are a huge step up from their previous offerings. The low & mid-range of the Revotron engine is great too. I am eagerly waiting for TBHP review to get into further details.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 12:15   #1116
BHPian

For anyone interested to check out the Zest in Mumbai:

Received an sms from Tata Motors about the Zest being displayed at the Infiniti Mall at Malad this weekend for a test drive opportunity.
Old 19th July 2014, 12:42   #1117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
BTW Motomaverick, I have a deal with TML which guarantees me 60% buy back value from TML for my Club Class Manza even after 3 years. I will buy the Zest as my second car and continue using the Black Beauty.. She is a class apart!

Plus I got 1.65 as buy back for my 5 year old Indica DLS turbo..so i guess i am not complaining! Have a safe drive and enjoy your i10
It will be interesting to get details on the 60% buy back deal you have made. Somehow after the bitter experience of selling the Manza, Tata has not left a very good taste. So lets wait and see how the Zest and Bolt shape Tata's future.

On the Zest front I got a message that the car will be on display today at Mantri Mall, Bangalore.
Old 19th July 2014, 13:16   #1118
BHPian

Quote:
It will be interesting to get details on the 60% buy back deal you have made. Somehow after the bitter experience of selling the Manza, Tata has not left a very good taste. So lets wait and see how the Zest and Bolt shape Tata's future.

On the Zest front I got a message that the car will be on display today at Mantri Mall, Bangalore.
It was last year when Tata had announced this offer for the Manza! It was an offer made Pan-India.

http://mediacentre.tatamotors.com/Pr...d=749&val=2013
Old 19th July 2014, 16:09   #1119
BHPian

Thumbs up A Peek into the Zest @ Mantri Mall Bangalore

The Zest Revotron is on display @ the Mantri mall (Bangalore) today. The Prerana motors representatives told me that the variant on display was the top of the line petrol model.

Here's my first impression of the car. Unfortunately no test drives yet! Would have liked to try the Revotron unit.

Positives
+ Very pleasing Looks! (Personal opinion)
+ Great fit and finish inside and out
+ 5" touch screen music system with 4 speakers + 4 tweeters. It is a "Made For iPod" (MFI) unit which is quite rare for OEM units in this segment.
+ Ergonomically well design controls placed exactly where they belong. Most touch screen controls also have an equivalent button which should ensure that the drivers keep their eyes on the road and not on the touch screen!
+ Loaded to the gills with lots of features (Projector headlamps with led rings, LED DRLs, LED tail lamps, auto AC etc.)
+ Good space inside the cabin considering compact sedan standards
+ The doors close with a reassuring thud. No, please don't think of european cars here, it is comparable to my Ford Fusion.

Negatives
- Boot space is not the best in the business (compared to Amaze/Xcent)
- The boot has a very small loading lip, which is placed quite high too. Stuffing things in and out esp. large suitcases will be tricky.
- The knob/lever for opening the doors from the inside looked flimsy (hopefully this will be fixed)
- The boot release and the fuel lid opener could have been placed elsewhere for easy accessibility

Summary

The car seemed extremely well put together. I was thoroughly impressed. For me, it all boils down to two things now:
1. How good is it to drive?
2. The asking price.
With all these equipment on board, I doubt if Tata can undercut the pricing of its rivals. Keeping fingers crossed.
Also, eagerly awaiting the official review to know how the zest petrol and diesel drive and handle.

Provided below are a few pictures that I took. Please pardon me for the poor quality of the images.

Exteriors First

1. Frontal view of the car with LED DRLs
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-1frontleddrls.jpg

2. The corona ring
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-2rhscoronaring.jpg

3. The projector light with the corona ring
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-3rhsprojectorwithcoronaring.jpg

4. Neatly placed washers on the front.
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-4neatlyplacedfrontwashers.jpg

5. Front Alloy with disc brakes. 185/60 R15 Bridgestone B250 tyres. Rear wheels get drum brakes.
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-5frontalloywheelwithdiscbrake.jpg

6. A closer look at the radiator/intercooler behind the front grill
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-6aradiatorbehindfrontgrill.jpg

Although, I am not sure if the car has an intercooler, I doubt if this can be anything else. Experts on board, please throw some light!
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-6bintercoolerbehindfrontgrill.jpg

7. Engine bay with lots of free space, there is a small plastic cover at the bottom of the bay for the front portion only. You can see the floor through the gap that is not covered.
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-7ennginebaywithlotsoffreespace.jpg

8. Damping material on the inside surface of the bonnet
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-8bonnetdamping.jpg

Interiors

9. Key slot with an illuminated ring around it.
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-9illuminatedkeyslot.jpg

10. The console does a nice salute when the key is inserted and turned on. Liked it!
See the video here

11. The 5" touch screen harmon music system. Operable through the touch screen as well as the steering mounted controls which is a plus. The controls remind of the VW head unit controls. Look elegant!
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-11harmonmusicsystem.jpg

12. The AC controls and the USB/Aux ports. Note the iPod marking. The MFI (Made for iPod) accessories are expensive to make as there is a royalty to be paid to Apple! for each unit. The AC is operable through the control buttons provided as well as the touch screen. Also seen are the buttons for the different drive modes.
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-12accontrolsusbauxports.jpg

14. The steering with audio controls. Is small (compared to the steering on my Fusion), but feels good to hold with the contours providing good grip.
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-14steeringwithaudiocontrols.jpg

15. The Front tweeter, speaker and rear tweeter + speaker.

Front tweeter
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-15afronttweeterondashboard.jpg

Front speaker
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-15bfrontspeakerondoor.jpg

Rear speaker + tweeter
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-15crearspeakerandtweeteronreardoor.jpg

16A. Note the placement of the power window switch for passengers, right where your hand will be! (when you are resting your hand on the arm rest). Those door knobs felt flimsy though.
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-16apowerwindowswitchforpassengers.jpg

16B. Driver side power window controls. Note, there is no electric mirror folding functionality (Xcent has it I guess).
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-16bdriverpowerwindowcontrols.jpg

17. Rear leg space after setting the drivers seat for my comfort. I am 5' 11" and I always set the driver's seat such that I can enter easily without the my legs getting obstructed by the dash/console. This generally results in a laid back sitting position for me. I felt that the rear leg space with such a setting was more than adequate.
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-17rearlegspace.jpg

18. Rear windows go down all the way.
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-18rearwindowsgodownalltheway.jpg

19. Doors with rubber beading. Close with a decent thud!
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-19afrontdoorwithrubberbeading.jpg
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-19breardoorwithrubberbeading.jpg

20. Boot/trunck with a small loading lip. The usability will be limited by the small loading lip. Wonder what those two bars are for? Rigidity? For strengthening the frame?
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-20abootwithsmallloadinglip.jpg
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-20bcloseupofthebootloadinglip.jpg
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-20cnodampingforthebootlid.jpg
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-20dtwometalbarswithinboot.jpg

Last edited by naut : 19th July 2014 at 16:20. Reason: Minor edits
naut is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 16:14   #1120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is on display in Mantri today. Just got back from there. Lot of people around the car and hence did not get a chance to take pics. My 2 cents
- From the outside, the car is a looker and there is not a single feature/line that looks out of place
- Doesn't look very big from the outside but just like any Tata car, when you sit inside, it feels a lot bigger
- Did not get a chance to sit in the drivers seat as there was a queue but the back seat is very comfy with great legroom & headroom (6 footer in the front seat and I am 6 foot as well). The seat feel just right and there is good under thigh support
- Quality of the plastics seem a lot better than the swift/indigo but cannot be compared to that of the Grand i10
- Panels gaps were not there and everything seemed solid and well fitted
Walked away with a Zest umbrella after winning the caption contest

On the whole I must say that on the road, the Zest will turn heads (especially the Blue) and hope that it drives well. Tata have got a great product, which if priced right will win many an Indian heart.
procrj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 16:58   #1121
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: A Peek into the Zest @ Mantri Mall Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
The Zest Revotron is on display @ the Mantri mall (Bangalore) today. The Prerana motors representatives told me that the variant on display was the top of the line petrol model...
That was quite a few pictures! Thank You! This car looks to have too many simple yet "feel good" features (Corona ring and the 180 degree needle sweep for me). That's some good work done by TATA. May be the ONLY bit that I didn't like is the boot lip and un-covered inner boot lid, just like the new Honda City. It would be a pity if this car doesn't sell enough.

TATA just need to go bonkers with mall displays and make sure as much people get to touch and feel the car of it's premiumness. Nothing else works better in creating an impression than real life "feel" of the vehicle.
swiftnfurious is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 18:03   #1122
BHPian

@naut : +10 thanks for pics+description. Btw, are you sure about the MFi ? If true, thats just WoW! God, I just keep finding out new stuff that amazes me every day I open this thread. No wonder Team-BHP experts are taking all that time to collate the review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
...TATA just need to go bonkers with mall displays and make sure as much people get to touch and feel the car of it's premiumness. Nothing else works better in creating an impression than real life "feel" of the vehicle.
+10 Promotions are crazy important nowadays. We even see that in the movie business.

I've seen people showing absolute disregard as soon as they hear about Tata Motors, many feel that the brand is synonymous to taxi's (Luckily people remember them for the Safari though). TaMo should try their absolute best to connect with as many people as possible so the good word spreads.
WorkingGuru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 19:18   #1123
BHPian

Book your Zest online now on a down payment of INR 21,000.

Visit: https://bookonline.tatamotors.com/book-a-car/zest

Select your state and city basis which the website will show you a list of available Tata dealerships. Select your dealership, Fuel Type, make the payment post registration and you are done!
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-zest-online-bookingb.png
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-zest-online-bookinga.png
On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-zest-online-booking1.png
damager21 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 19:19   #1124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
I think you are a bit confused. Tata is not selling its base variant with ABS and lower power output, as per the rumours. Why should that stop you from choosing from the other variants (probably 3 more)?

Let us give credit where it is due without unduly going into sweeping statements. They are just trying to provide 'more car per car' by launching a lower spec for people who can afford lesser.
Well I don't think so. In my opinion i don't think safety should be compromised in the pretext of providing more car per car.

Today the average speed in India is not the same as it was a decade ago, I feel auto manufacturers must start providing features like ABS, airbags as a standard.
Whiplash7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 19:31   #1125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
The Zest Revotron is on display @ the Mantri mall (Bangalore) today. The Prerana motors representatives told me that the variant on display was the top of the line petrol model.

Here's my first impression of the car. Unfortunately no test drives yet! Would have liked to try the Revotron unit.

Wow! Thanks a ton for those pics! A small trailer before the official Team BHP review! Tata Motors seems to have done a very good job with this car.

The front and rear speakers seem small in the photos. Are they really small? Clarification would be much appreciated. Did you get a chance to listen to the stereo system?
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread