Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 19th July 2014, 20:25   #1126
BHPian

Default re: On the Tata Bolt Hatchback

Tata Motors seems to be going all out to create a huge buzz around the Zest.
The Zest looks like a sure winner provided the pricing is VFM.Tata will have to price it slightly lower than the competition to tempt customers initially as brand Tata has taken a severe beating.
For sure the Zest has the potential to bring them back into the game strongly.
Good to see a Tata product receiving such praise across different magazines and websites.
Old 19th July 2014, 20:43   #1127
Senior - BHPian

Guys one small query. Below are the Delhi ex-showroom prices (as on date) of the top-end diesel variants of the 3 major competitors of the Zest (taken from their respective company websites).

MARUTI SWIFT DZIRE ZDI 7,32,284/-
HYUNDAI XCENT 1.1 U2 CRDi Manual SX (O) Metallic 7,41,961/-
HONDA Amaze 1.5 VX MT (i-DTEC) Diesel : 7,49,500/-

How much premium are you willing to pay for the Zest top end diesel manual and AMT?
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 21:01   #1128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Guys one small query. Below are the Delhi ex-showroom prices (as on date) of the top-end diesel variants of the 3 major competitors of the Zest (taken from their respective company websites).

How much premium are you willing to pay for the Zest top end diesel manual and AMT?
Hi AutoIndian , In my opinion it could be 70-80K difference at the max between the manual version and the AMT one. I could be completely off the mark here but anything above 1 lac would be asking for too much. Also, knowing TATA I would expect some niggles in the initial batch and expect the niggles to be resolved through a face-lift/refresh 2 years down the line.
searacer932 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 21:30   #1129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...How much premium are you willing to pay for the Zest top end diesel manual and AMT?
Finally, the Million Dollar Question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
...Confusion is that the car deserves a good rewarding price IMPO, but will they price it based on that or on what's called 'Market Forces'?...
Being a Tata fan, I'd pay a min of 75k premium for the high quality interiors and min 100k for the AMT.

What about others ?
GrammarNazi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 21:36   #1130
BHPian

I had already registered for Tata zest priority test drive. Got a call yesterday saying Tata zest is available for test drive in whitefield phoenix mall on weekend of 26-27 July. I wonder if this is what Tata calls priority test drive!
Old 19th July 2014, 22:46   #1131
BHPian

[quote=GrammarNazi;3482700]

Honestly, I would not mind paying 50k for the better quality and better/more features.
For the AMT variant, 40k more.
What I think Tata would price the manual XT diesel, max 7.70, while for the AMT XMA, at most 7.20. I have a feeling that Tata is going to price this car really aggressive. Frankly, if they can price it lower than what I have mentioned, this car can kill Amaze n Xcent.
I am having an eye on the XMA diesel, only a TD and a price quote is remaining.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 22:53   #1132
BHPian

Quote:

I think the only reference for AMT we have in our market currently is Celerio.

In Delhi the pricing of Celerio VXI (MT) is 4.05 lacs and that of VXI (AMT) is 4.44 lacs. This amounts to a price difference of 39k.

So according to me, Tata will launch the top variant of Zest Diesel (MT) at 7.49 lacs because premium features offered by Tata kind of gets nullified by the premium Honda brand you get if you were to buy Amaze.

I think they will offer AMT variant at a premium of 50k. AMT variant will sell like hot cakes.
damager21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 22:59   #1133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searacer932 View Post
Hi AutoIndian , In my opinion it could be 70-80K difference at the max between the manual version and the AMT one. I could be completely off the mark here but anything above 1 lac would be asking for too much. Also, knowing TATA I would expect some niggles in the initial batch and expect the niggles to be resolved through a face-lift/refresh 2 years down the line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Finally, the Million Dollar Question!
Being a Tata fan, I'd pay a min of 75k premium for the high quality interiors and min 100k for the AMT. What about others ?
In my opinion a premium of 25K to 50K seems be justifed. Anything above that would be too ambitious and if they go very aggressively and price it at par with the competition, then there would be a beeline outside Tata's showrooms.

8.75 lacs on road for the manual diesel top end and 9 lacs for the top end AMT would be a very mouth watering proposition, what say? Any takers?
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 23:27   #1134
BHPian

I'd say a good price for the MT would be around the SAME price as Swift and the AMT version would be ~30k more.

If its lesser, IMHO we consumers should genuinely thank (EDIT) Late. Mr. Karl Slym for that and buyers should give Tata Motors its due (and leave the 'Taxi' baggage behind).

Last edited by WorkingGuru : 19th July 2014 at 23:39. Reason: Edit : Not 'thank Tata', but 'thank Late Karl Slym'
WorkingGuru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2014, 23:40   #1135
BHPian

Quote:
In my opinion a premium of 25K to 50K seems be justifed. Anything above that would be too ambitious and if they go very aggressively and price it at par with the competition, then there would be a beeline outside Tata's showrooms.

8.75 lacs on road for the manual diesel top end and 9 lacs for the top end AMT would be a very mouth watering proposition, what say? Any takers?
I think pricing will largely depend on Tata's strategy. If the idea is to increase volumes then I expect Tata to undercut the pricing of Zest and go head to head with Maruti.

One the biggest challenge Tata is facing today is the shockingly high under utilization of its production capacity. They came up with Sanand plant which has a production capacity of 2.5 lakh Nano cars a year. We all know how many Nano's are sold per year.

Before this plant, they already had a production capacity of 3 lakh units per year for all other cars - Indica, Indigo, Sumo etc. This adds up to a production capacity of a whopping 5.5 lakh cars per year.

Between April'13 to March'14 following were the sales numbers:
Domestic - 138,455
Exports - 49,892
Total - 188,347

This means that last year, the passenger car division of Tata Motors operated at capacity utilization of just 34.25%.

Though Zest is a brilliant car, going by these numbers, I don't see Tata Motors taking the risk of charging a premium on Zest. With Zest and Bolt their first goal will be create a demand for at least 25,000 units per month. Given their dealership network, brilliant products in Zest & Bolt along with aggressive pricing, these numbers are very much achievable.

They also have some exciting launch lined up for next year in Kite & Nexon.

Last edited by damager21 : 19th July 2014 at 23:41.
damager21 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2014, 00:07   #1136
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by damager21 View Post
Before this plant, they already had a production capacity of 3 lakh units per year for all other cars - Indica, Indigo, Sumo etc. This adds up to a production capacity of a whopping 5.5 lakh cars per year.

Between April'13 to March'14 following were the sales numbers:
Domestic - 138,455
Exports - 49,892
Total - 188,347

This means that last year, the passenger car division of Tata Motors operated at capacity utilization of just 34.25%.
I was wondering, if they had so much of plant capacity, why did they use FIAT factory earlier (~1 year ago) to make Indigo's?

Numbers don't match to their acts. something seems fishy. Are you sure that these numbers are correct? Any source?
Old 20th July 2014, 00:22   #1137
BHPian

Quote:
There is no top end AMT variant, as it looks now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
I'd say a good price for the MT would be around the SAME price as Swift and the AMT version would be ~30k more.
Good price for a Zest would be SAME price as a Swift?
Not able to digest that. It would have been OK if you had been talking about the Bolt. How can you compare a Zest, which is a compact "sedan", has much better interiors, much better engine (Diesel has VGT while petrol is Turboed). The Swift is all together in a different category. If Tata can price the Zest at 30-40k more than Dzire, Zest will rule. But if they can price it head on with Dzire, and lower than Amaze, than we are going to see a fire on salescharts.

Again, why would we want Tata to price the Zest in Swift territory?

Last edited by bblost : 21st July 2014 at 12:37. Reason: Please do not use more than 2 smileys per post. Thanks.
Old 20th July 2014, 00:45   #1138
BHPian

Smile Re: A Peek into the Zest @ Mantri Mall Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
@naut : Btw, are you sure about the MFi ? If true, thats just WoW!
Although, I didn't test this with an apple device (iPod or iPhone), I am reasonably sure the system is MFi (MFi = Made For iPod). They would not have marked "iPod" next to the USB port if the head unit wasn't MFi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
The front and rear speakers seem small in the photos. Are they really small? Clarification would be much appreciated. Did you get a chance to listen to the stereo system?
Although the speakers looked small, I was impressed with the quality of output they produced. I believe, the harmon system with the stock speakers + tweeters should satisfy most buyers.

Test drive

I got an opportunity to do a short test drive of the Zest twins (petrol & diesel) in the evening today. Apparently they were available for test drive all day @ Mantri mall and will be available tomorrow also. Listed below are my findings.

Disclaimer: These observations are from really short test drives of a couple of kilometers. I strongly recommend that those deciding on the Zest drive the car themselves before deciding.

1.2 Revotron - City mode

Positivies
+ Engine seemed refined, silent and was hardly audible from within the cabin or even outside
+ The suspension did it's job silently when going over bad patches/pot holes
Did not get a chance to check if the car maintains its composure when going over bad patches at higher speeds.
+ The gears were easy to slot
+ The engine is very drive-able within the city, pulls well from sub ~1000 rpm even on inclines
+ Did not experience any sudden turbo boost that we expect from trubo-charged engines
+ The brakes felt good and did their job well

Negatives
- Didn't look like the turbo was helping reduce the fuel consumption in anyway (for city driving at-least)
- The MID showed an average FE of 8 km/l (May be it was the day's average & May be longer drives will give better FE)
I think this best judged after a longer test drive and my drive was way too short
- The FE indicator had a bar from 0-30. The indicator hardly came close to the half way mark for the petrol while I drove it.
- The power steering didn't feel great to drive. It was very light though! Should have been electric power steering.
Coming from the Fusion, it was a slight disappointment.
1.3 Quadrajet Diesel - Manual

Positivies
+ The suspension did it's job silently when going over bad patches/pot holes
Did not get a chance to check if the car would hold its composure when going over bad patches at higher speeds.
+ The gear box was not as smooth as the petrol and was slightly more difficult to slot the gears. No, it wasn't problematic, but it was not as good as the petrol
+ There was a turbo lag at sub 2000 rpms. One needs to get adjusted to driving diesels to drive this within the city
+ The engine pulls well after 2000 rpm
+ The brakes felt good and did their job well

Negatives
- Engine was audible from within the cabin let alone outside. No, I don't think it is comparable to the Amaze. But it is not silent either.
- Seemed noticeably more effecient than the petrol
- The FE indicator had a bar from 0-30. The indicator frequently touched the half way mark for the diesel and went beyond half way mark many a times
- The power steering didn't feel great to drive. It was very light though! Should have been electric power steering.
Coming from the Fusion, it was a slight disappointment.
Summary
Frankly, I had mixed feelings after the drive. I will definitely go back for longer test drives esp. of the Revotron engine to be sure that I didn't get it wrong the first time. Eagerly awaiting the moderator's take on how the Zest drives & handles.

Last edited by naut : 20th July 2014 at 00:58. Reason: Minor edits.
naut is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th July 2014, 01:00   #1139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
...Good price for a Zest would be SAME price as a Swift? ...
My bad. Apologies for the confusion. I meant to type Swift Dzire as a reply to AutoIndian's Question on pricing.
Old 20th July 2014, 07:05   #1140
BHPian

Quote:

Hey AutoIndian, The news i have is that it will be priced similar to the Dzire. Infact I heard that the top variant would be priced around the Manza price but to answer your question how much premium with all its features around 30 - 50K for a image that people have painted about TML
Closed Thread