Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 21st July 2014, 00:04   #1156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie09 View Post
hi friends,
have booked a Honda Amaze iDTEC VXMT, delivery scheduled for mid August. Now, looking at Zest reviews on auto shows, am thinking if I should cancel my booking.

Will the entire booking amount be forfeited ? How does it work usually ?

Or should I continue with my Honda booking? Apologies if this is not the right place for the question.
Hi, of course this is the right place for this question.
At least get a TD of the Zest first. If your Amaze is to come in a long time from now, you can definitely get more information about the Zest, by having a TD yourself. Zest looks to be an instant hit. You are the best judge, don't just cancel the booking and don't sit idle either, drive it and then decide. I think you will get the whole money back if you cancel the booking.
Old 21st July 2014, 00:10   #1157
Senior - BHPian

Default re: On the Tata Bolt Hatchback

Quote:
hi friends,
have booked a Honda Amaze iDTEC VXMT, delivery scheduled for mid August. Now, looking at Zest reviews on auto shows, am thinking if I should cancel my booking.
"Proof of the pudding lies in eating". Each one over here will give his own opinion from his perspective, but that may not necessarily be keeping your needs in mind. Hence test drive the Zest at the first opportunity and decide for yourself. Also wait till the TBHP review of the Zest is out. That will solve 99% of your queries

Quote:
Will the entire booking amount be forfeited ? How does it work usually ?
Till the car is allotted to you (ideally speaking) only a fraction of the booking amount should be forfeited. However each manufacturer lays its own terms and conditions. Hence it would be prudent to read the fine print on cancellation charges.

Quote:
Or should I continue with my Honda booking? Apologies if this is not the right place for the question.
The car, which is going to bring a wide grin on your face each time you drive it, should make it to your garage. Honda Amaze has its own pros and cons. Check out is the Zest matches the Amaze or surpasses it and make your own decision.
Old 21st July 2014, 01:08   #1158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
My query wasn't about accidents happening wilfully because abs and airbags exist. You've only skirted my query and responded with one of your own. Are your sane driving skills primarily going to avoid accidents others are going to be responsible for causing and end up potentially saving your life??

I'll still await a proper response to my query. Thanks u til then. And my query has nothing to do wit any Tata lament, which I'm sure you noticed.
What is the big deal here, sir ? There are variants for the safety conscious as well as for the others. Pick your variant and you are good with it. Every manufacturer does this. So whats new in it ? It is another story that ABS, Airbags and seat belts save lives. We have enough and more discussions about it. Y bring it on here.

If it is about TATA introducing a base variant without ABS + Airbags, well, that is how the market works. The base price has to be low so that it attracts people to the showrooms. And moreover, let alone ABS, how many people who buy a 7L INR car wear seat belts in India ? A few civilized people do that. And there are a lot of people with complete disregard for safety on the road. You can even see them coming in the wrong direction in expressways. God save us from them. At times, no level of skill or safety features can help us. But then, there are situations were they help too, period !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
You might have a point. honestly I cannot think of buying a vehicle without ABS. It has helped me in a few situations and inspires confidence.
Awesome ! Zest does have variants with ABS + Airbags. You can always buy them if you are interested. What was the point here ? I just could not get that. Are you saying that you will NOT buy Zest because the base variant does not provide ABS ? Seriously, that doesn't sound like what you meant ! And if you are not interested in a particular car, you will have millions of things that can go against it. Listen to your heart and buy the one that makes you smile. Cheers and happy motoring !!

Last edited by khan_sultan : 21st July 2014 at 14:07. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use multi-quote option when replying to multiple posts
DieselAddikt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 01:24   #1159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
Awesome ! Zest does have variants with ABS + Airbags. You can always buy them if you are interested. What was the point here ? I just could not get that. Are you saying that you will NOT buy Zest because the base variant does not provide ABS ? Seriously, that doesn't sound like what you meant ! And if you are not interested in a particular car, you will have millions of things that can go against it. Listen to your heart and buy the one that makes you smile. Cheers and happy motoring !!
What I mean to say is that Tata should offer the base variant with ABS and so should other manufacturers. I would like to see ABS as a standard feature on cars.
Old 21st July 2014, 07:06   #1160
Senior - BHPian

Request to members

I think that last 50-60 posts have all (well mostly) been assumptions/speculations/wishful thoughts and the likes. The Team-BHP official review should not be too far now. So lets stop discussing and wait and watch, unless you have some real facts of the product ZEST.

Thanks,
Ajay
ajay_satpute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 09:32   #1161
BHPian

Yesterday on NH17, Goa I found 5-6 blue Zest with MH registration all moving together. It looked like some road show.
Old 21st July 2014, 10:26   #1162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
I'll still await a proper response to my query. Thanks u til then. And my query has nothing to do wit any Tata lament, which I'm sure you noticed.
My answer was precisely to the lament and you took it out of context. I said there was nothing wrong in providing a lower version without ABS and airbags and those who felt the need to be safer had other options to choose from. This is purely based on affordability and not on need.

If you have seen my signature, you would have noticed the amount of driving I do and of these vehicles, only my current Vista is equipped with ABS. Never been in an accident, touch wood. In all my years of driving, I have come across several of such instances that you mention and even worse ones. I can attribute it to my knowledge of knowing the car's abilities and its limitations, never overriding them.

Anticipation is the key to your driving skills. If you have a vehicle that has been hurtling towards you on a curve, you are either on a blind curve where even 60 kmph is too much or you missed seeing him early. The corrective action would have been to use the horn as you approach the curve and in case you are already in for a collision, get off the road to take evasive action.

Quote:
hi friends,
have booked a Honda Amaze iDTEC VXMT, delivery scheduled for mid August. Now, looking at Zest reviews on auto shows, am thinking if I should cancel my booking. Will the entire booking amount be forfeited ? How does it work usually ?Or should I continue with my Honda booking? Apologies if this is not the right place for the question.
A car is a very personal choice, Rodie09. Don't just go by what people say about it. I have always maintained, you ask 100 people, you will get 101 replies. First, call Honda and tell them you would like to wait on your booking. Give it to them in writing and get a copy of the letter attested by them. Test drive both the cars back to back, if required, more than once and choose the one that impresses you the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash7 View Post
What I mean to say is that Tata should offer the base variant with ABS and so should other manufacturers. I would like to see ABS as a standard feature on cars.
If only wishes were horses, Whiplash7. It took eons for seatbelts to be introduced and that happened only after legislation was put in place. Even so, the general public hardly wears them. I have seen a few in Coimbatore wear them only to get rid of the annoying beeps reminding you to wear them. Still, some lock the seatbelt and then sit on top of them.

For manufacturers, it is a case of bringing a lower priced car which helps to keep their cars bringing them revenue. If they can cut corners they definitely will. Remember, Mahindra Thar and the brakes. Mahindra used single-pot calipers to save a measly 800 bucks resulting in scary moments for most owners. Cost of the upgrade is in the range of 20000. This is plain cost-cutting (cheap trick) on a truck costing 8L upwards, with utter disregard to safety.

Last edited by bblost : 21st July 2014 at 12:31.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 11:22   #1163
BANNED

I took the leap of faith & booked a Tata Zest Petrol online today. And I havent even seen the car or done a test drive yet

I got booking number 407.
gsurya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 11:46   #1164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
I took the leap of faith & booked a Tata Zest Petrol online today. And I havent even seen the car or done a test drive yet

If this is history being written, let me be the first to congratulate you dear. Which variant?
Also, this is my humble suggestion that you take a thorough TD and then have a second tthought, because as good as the car is sounding, it is your money and you are the best judge here.
Old 21st July 2014, 11:58   #1165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
If only wishes were horses, Whiplash7. It took eons for seatbelts to be introduced and that happened only after legislation was put in place. Even so, the general public hardly wears them. I have seen a few in Coimbatore wear them only to get rid of the annoying beeps reminding you to wear them. Still, some lock the seatbelt and then sit on top of them.
The problem is that seatbelts are more or less optional, but active safety systems like ABS are always armed and ready to act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
For manufacturers, it is a case of bringing a lower priced car which helps to keep their cars bringing them revenue. If they can cut corners they definitely will. Remember, Mahindra Thar and the brakes. Mahindra used single-pot calipers to save a measly 800 bucks resulting in scary moments for most owners. Cost of the upgrade is in the range of 20000. This is plain cost-cutting (cheap trick) on a truck costing 8L upwards, with utter disregard to safety.
I completely understand your point that manufacturers do this to offer the car at a lower price and hope you got my point, anyway I guess this is not the place to take this discussion further. Thanks for understanding.

Last edited by bblost : 21st July 2014 at 12:33. Reason: Please use multi quote instead of creating back 2 back posts.
Whiplash7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2014, 12:12   #1166
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
If this is history being written, let me be the first to congratulate you dear. Which variant?
Also, this is my humble suggestion that you take a thorough TD and then have a second tthought, because as good as the car is sounding, it is your money and you are the best judge here.
Thanks. You can only choose Petrol or Diesel online, I chose Petrol. I intend to go for the top variant when the choice is given.

I do indeed plan to take TDs when they are available this week or next. But I am already pretty convinced from all the TDs read so far so lets see

I am looking for a well equipped, petrol hatch/compact sedan that has a good peppy engine, drivability & build - VW Polo is not an option & Punto is not here yet - though I do like its 1.4P option. EcoSport 1.5P manual is not strong enough.

Swift, Amaze & Excent are good options, but I think the Zest beats them on what I have read so far.
Old 21st July 2014, 12:23   #1167
BHPian

Quote:
Swift, Amaze & Excent are good options, but I think the Zest beats them on what I have read so far.
I agree, the turbo is the trick here. Is the Polo out just because it's not so exciting 3 cylinder pot? If yes, I think you should at least take a TD, I never felt the Polo 1.2P was any slow, and the build quality is just unmatchable.
Old 21st July 2014, 12:26   #1168
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
I agree, the turbo is the trick here. Is the Polo out just because it's not so exciting 3 cylinder pot? If yes, I think you should at least take a TD, I never felt the Polo 1.2P was any slow, and the build quality is just unmatchable.
Yes I did take a TD of the Polo 1.2P & didnt find it great - yes the build is fantastic. If only Polo had given us a 1.2Tsi manual I would have immediately taken that.

One of the best 'driver's petrol' cars with a manual tranny in the market today is the Etios Cross 1.5P but its overpriced by a lakh.
Old 21st July 2014, 13:01   #1169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My friend just messaged me that he booked a diesel Zest online! not sure which variant.
Old 21st July 2014, 13:07   #1170
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I did take a TD of the Polo 1.2P & didnt find it great - yes the build is fantastic. If only Polo had given us a 1.2Tsi manual I would have immediately taken that.

One of the best 'driver's petrol' cars with a manual tranny in the market today is the Etios Cross 1.5P but its overpriced by a lakh.
You are forgetting Linea T-Jet. I just got myself an older model emotion for 8.5L on road!
Closed Thread