Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 22nd July 2014, 12:23   #1186
BHPian

Default re: On the Tata Bolt Hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyFunk View Post

Saw this Bolt parked close to my house outside a building exclusive for TATA employees.

The new headlights, grill, tail lights etc. give it very nice look.
Is it just me or do you guys feel the tail lamp looks very plain-jain and closely resembling the age old Hyundai i10?
Old 22nd July 2014, 12:26   #1187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
what is common to Tjet and Revotron.
Its the TURBO PETROL engine , thats the common link between these 2 cars I can think :-)
Old 22nd July 2014, 12:33   #1188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
Is it just me or do you guys feel the tail lamp looks very plain-jain and closely resembling the age old Hyundai i10?
Yup. Just what I wanted to add. The tail lamps look like those of i10's! HAd an information from someone inside the industry that the timing of launch of Bolt will depend on the way market perceives the Zest.

Last edited by saket77 : 22nd July 2014 at 12:39.
Old 22nd July 2014, 12:38   #1189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
They do look simple but its such a relief to see something different from the so called 'Christmas tree' lights that we've come to know over the years.
Old 22nd July 2014, 12:43   #1190
BANNED

Not sure if its already been discussed here, but the review of Zest on Motoroids is really really detailed & brilliant - full 6 pages with lots of pics. Looking forward to TBHP review to match this now

http://www.motoroids.com/reviews/tat...new-beginning/
gsurya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 15:31   #1191
Senior - BHPian

The Financial Express has a report on the Zest. According to them Zest will come with a six years warranty!
Quote:
To shake off perceptions of poor quality, Tata Motors included, in the price of the car, additional years of warranty —three years, plus another three years, the first few months. While warranty will only cover manufacturing defects, there is also an additional three-year annual maintenance coverage for any other problem that the customer may face.
The report also expects the starting price to be at 4.6 Lakh.

Looks like TaMo has done their homework thoroughly leaving no stone unturned. Will it result into a new leader of the compact sedans segment?

source - http://www.financialexpress.com/news...ches/1272292/0

Last edited by safari_lover : 22nd July 2014 at 15:35.
safari_lover is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 18:20   #1192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
the starting price to be at 4.6 Lakh.
4.6 L for XB revotron? Shockingly awesome.
If they can manage all the RnD cost incurred in developing a new turbocharged petrol engine and a GB, leave the good quality, they can price the diesel XB with an FGT at 5.4 L at max. Now add ~90k max for the XM diesel, with a VGT, better and more features including ABS, it comes to 6.30. The AMT shouldn't cost 50k more, so the XMA, which I am interested in should sale at 6.80 which is really hard to believe.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 23rd July 2014 at 19:43. Reason: Duplicate post removed.
Old 22nd July 2014, 18:58   #1193
BHPian

TML has set its sights squarely on the pint sized behemoth, the Maruti Dzire.
Calculated speculation says, Maruti D'zire prices, approximate ex-showroom Delhi, are:
1.Petrol MT Lxi : Rs 4.85 lacs
2.Petrol MT VXi: Rs 5.44 lacs
3.Petrol MT Zxi: Rs 6.31 lacs

The diesel Dzire model prices, roughly, are:(again ex-showroon Delhi)
1.Diesel Ldi : Rs 5.78 lacs
2.Diesel Vdi: Rs 6.51 lacs
3.Diesel Zdi: Rs 7.32 lacs

Am expecting TML to price the Zest, variant for variant, within kissing distance of D'zire, maybe even Rs15,000 to Rs 18,000 less compared to the Maruti models - the objective being to create a "disruptive pricing" model and draw as many "non Tata" buyers towards the Zest.

With the new found build quality and better interior material quality, combined with the bespoke Harmann audio system etc, this strategy, if executed slickly, can actually rattle Maruti's cage a fair bit! Maybe even cause MUL to drop D'zire prices - remember 29 December 1998 folks when M-800 prices were dropped on the eve of Indica launch?

Am sure Zest prices will slowly creep up, but the initial "disruptive pricing" if TML can hold onto it for at least 6 months will generate a lot of 1st time Tata buyers.

However TML has to take care of the supply chain.
A perennial grouse of TML, especially when it comes to vehicle despatch to dealers in Tier-2 & 3 cities cities, is that the new vehicle takes an eternity to reach these smaller cities, leading to insufficient stock at the dealer end translating to long waiting periods.
This will not work for Tata because the Zest, although "d'zirable", (pun intended), on paper, may not yet pull at the heart-strings of non-Tata buyers.
The proof of the pudding will be in the driving and the faster more Zest's find owner's and positive word of mouth publicity circulates, better it will be for our home grown car maker.
Let battle commence !
arjab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2014, 19:31   #1194
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors organized Zest drive in our office campus today. Had a chance to test drive both petrol and diesel models, both manual. Will put my likes and dislikes for the benefit of all. Did not get to drive the AMT as was running short of time. They did have the car for the drive though.

1. The paint quality and panel gaps are top notch. The outside plastics like the fog lamp housing, the headlamps and the tail lamps are really good quality. No complaints there at all.

2. The car looks better in person than in pictures. The styling definitely has a language.

3. The instrument console looks really nice. The MID between the speedo and the tacho meter is also very well turned out. Pretty sharp fonts.

4. The A/C seemed pretty effective overall but the weather has been kind for the past few days. Ambient temperatures are not very high but its very humid. Perfect weather for the A/C so to speak.

5. Both engines are relatively refined. The petrol more so.

6. The steering wheel is well turned out and looks really good. The steering wheel buttons should have been larger though.

7. Incredibly light steering. Could not test it at higher speeds to see if it weighs up sufficiently but the car is a dodle to potter around within the city.

8. Very light, smooth and progressive clutch on the petrol. The one on the diesel was a bit sticky though. I did not need to press the accelerator to move the car from standstill even with the aircon running and 4 people in the car. True for both petrol and diesel.

9. Very very slick gearshift on the petrol, the best ever on a Tata yet. As good as any in the segment really. Diesel was relatively notchy but overall still count as good. The shifter is really nicely finished as well.

10. Punchy diesel especially in the turbo zone.

11. Resistive touchscreen is a blessing in disguise. Capacitive touch would have made the touchscreen a bit too responsive for its own good especially while driving. I also like the fact that you can control most functions like the A/C both via the touchscreen as well as individual buttons.

12. Doors close with a nice thud. A lot better than Hyundai, Honda or Maruti's that we are so used to.

13. The suspension is nicely damped and works silently. Could not test the handling but overall is still nowhere close to a Punto, but then again not many are.

14. The rear seat is a veritable sofa, very wide and good under thigh support but needs stiffer padding. Sinks a bit too much after sitting.

15. The factory fitted sound system sounds pretty decent.

Dislikes
1. The car does not sit squat. The wheels are inside the body line a bit too much. Wider front and rear track would have improved the looks as well as handling and stability.

2. Could still find ill fitting plastics especially in the area above the instrument console, on the b-pillar, around the power window console at the rear and front. Some ill fitting bits like the hazard warning button. The steering height adjustment lever is especially poor quality. The thing could break off at anytime. The adjustment itself is pretty crude.The quality is more in the league of Maruti Swift, may be a wee bit better especially the durability but not in the league of either VW or Hyundai. Expected a bit more from Tata on this especially since this has always been their Achilles heel.

3. The petrol is a bit gutless. Although part throttle response is good, to really make a move you need to be generous with the throttle. Again, I was driving with four people on board and A/C on at full blast. May perform better with lesser load.

4. You have to slightly reach out for the horn pad.

5. Very light steering. Should have been slightly more weighty.

6. Slightly stiffer suspension should not have hurt. I found it a wee bit soft.

Overall a very sincere effort from Tata Motors and their best overall car yet and it shows once you drive this thing. All they should be doing now is to sand the rough edges. They have a very very good platform in Zest. This car deserves to sell.

P.S. Tata Motors is really making an effort to please the audience. After the test drive I was given a pre-loaded PVR card worth Rs 500. Thank you very much guys.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 22nd July 2014 at 19:51.
extreme_torque is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 07:53   #1195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyFunk View Post
They do look simple but its such a relief to see something different from the so called 'Christmas tree' lights that we've come to know over the years.
Tata brought the Christmas Tree lights into India if I am not wrong and initially people loved the the fact because of the high visibility they offered. The Figo has the same concept and people don't complain but when it is Tata people love to complain. why this discrimination?
shashi63 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 11:43   #1196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
Tata brought the Christmas Tree lights into India if I am not wrong and initially people loved the the fact because of the high visibility they offered. The Figo has the same concept and people don't complain but when it is Tata people love to complain. why this discrimination?
I never realised this until now but I guess it must have something to do with the proportions and how long they have been in the market.
Old 23rd July 2014, 11:51   #1197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashi63 View Post
why this discrimination?
The end user appreciates good bits and is open if he doesn't like something. Its his money afterall. I for one, liked the christmas tree tail lights setup when Tata put them on Indica, but going forward, it seemed to become a design philosophy for Tata hatchbacks when they continued it with the Vista. I even like the back of Vista. But I accept the fact that this kind of back lights setup has become monotonous now, I like them in the Punto but not in Figo, somehow Fiat has done a back with much more elegance, if Tata could have done a similar thing, probably Vista's back would have got more fans. For separating the Bolt from Vista, they have changed this design, which is a good step, IMO, as it breaks the monotonousity and perception of being a Vista underneath. The end results look pleasing to my eyes.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 12:03   #1198
BHPian

Default Tata Revotron Challenge - Game for android

There's an official Tata Revotron game on the Android Play Store. I'm yet to try it out. Going by the screenshots, the game isn't that well designed.

Here's the link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....TATA.revotron
amolbh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 12:19   #1199
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Revotron Challenge - Game for android

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolbh View Post
There's an official Tata Revotron game on the Android Play Store. I'm yet to try it out. Going by the screenshots, the game isn't that well designed.

Here's the link:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....TATA.revotron
Thanks!

Saw some reviews in Playstore, IMO Its not the worst app ever, worth trying even! Just for kicks. Its ~48MB. Its a 'race' with the Zest having 3 modes. The dials turn RED in Sport mode and BLUE in City mode. You collect 'fuel' along the way. Maybe they'll tweak further.

lol I think they've employed Shahrukh Khan's PR for promotions. Malls Visits, Games, special test drives what not! Must've cost quite abit! Nice to see TATA doing all this much for a car. Nobody does the crazy stuff TATA Motors does!

IMHO they should've developed a Car & Trip Expense Calculator instead. Something of some utility rather than a game that we'd delete in a few days. Maybe some app like Mahindra has made for travel planning & car monitoring.

EDIT : Who knows, maybe that app is in the pipeline!

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 23rd July 2014 at 12:24.
GrammarNazi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2014, 14:07   #1200
Senior - BHPian

My visual observations on the Revotron Zest. The car is on display at the ITPL campus. Test drive as well but don't know which engine as it was a different car. The display car had the engine running.
A nice car to look at but still has the chop block out of proportion effect.
Interiors are well turned out. Difficult to tell if material quality is all that improved over the Vista.
Comfortable drivers seat.
The doors closed with a reassuring thud.
Lovely clocks and clear multi information display.
Nice feel from stalk controls.
Good to hold steering.
Touch screen was decent. Not over sensitive.
Aircon controls look like a straight lift from the Manza/Vista. It is possible to control the aircon via panel controls and touchscreen unit.
Dual fan unit for the radiator, Aircon condenser.
Intercooler present. Stands right in front and at the edge of the bottom bumper grill. You can't miss it.
Nice exhaust note at idle. Did remind me of the old Xeta.
Engine had a timed thrum at idle which could be felt inside the cabin. Though not anywhere close to being bad, it did remind me of the old days when folks plonked in a Matador engine in a Ambassador primarily to take on the aircon load. When you turned on the aircon, there would be a irregular increased engine idle speed. Felt exactly like that.
Massive engine bay. Looked like a 2.0l could go in there easily. Acres of space around the Revotron engine.
Aircon compressor fitting looked like an after thought. Once again, like the old days on how they fitted compressors to the engine using brackets and clamps. Looked very crude.
Turbo charger and external wastegate also fixed in a way that makes it look like a completely disconnected unit from the engine. Surely does not impact the way it works.
Engine looks like a square block with lots of things bolted on to it. Run off the mill air box.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 23rd July 2014 at 14:22.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread