Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 2nd August 2014, 06:18   #1306
BHPian

Default re: On the Tata Bolt Hatchback

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav135 View Post
What am I reading here? The "corona" headlights that I was hoping to use as a day-time running lights are parking lights? So does it mean, i cannot use them as DRL ?
Yes true.. Can run either of them not both of them at the same time. indicated this to the TML guy as well.
shashi63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 09:26   #1307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohansachar View Post
Hi, below is the screenshot from the Zest Online booking page:
Attachment 1268999
do not fret too much on ground clearance. going by the pictures of the Zest, the vehicle has short overhangs and the ramp breakover looks pretty decent too. Historically, TML vehicles never had much ground clearance issues.
We have to get it clarified whether the 165mm/175mm GC as printed in the brochure is the "minimum GC" - that is measured with vehicle fully loaded at payload or "max GC" that is measured only with driver + 90% fuel, spare wheel and accesories.
The measurement parameter is very important when GC is derived, specially for our cratered roads!
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 10:00   #1308
BHPian

Here is an interesting interview with Pratap Bose on the way forward. Sounds very exciting at TML.

http://m.zigwheels.com/news-features...-motors/18853/
Old 2nd August 2014, 16:56   #1309
BHPian

The convoy of Tata Zests going around on our Goa roads was surely an eye candy. If look at in reality, the car looks really great and gives a feeling of richness. The shade of blue that Tata Motors has chosen is eye catching and looked fantastic amidst the heavy rains and greenery. The boot looks a little high because it is quite high in the first place, also maybe because of the tail lights, nevertheless it goes on with the flow of lines on the car.
Silver looks kind of contemporary on road rather than striking.
Overall, the car had good road presence if compared to the Xcent and Amaze.
Old 2nd August 2014, 18:00   #1310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav135 View Post
...Has anyone used the parking lights, does it continuously flicker? Can I only turn this corona light on instead of turning on all indicators for parking?
The parking lights do NOT flicker. The corona light is a replacement for the parking light. So in the night when there is not much traffic movement, I would use parking / corona light where as in the morning time and places with quite a few traffic movement, I would use the indicators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
...The measurement parameter is very important when GC is derived, specially for our cratered roads!
I was told (by Deepak from TATA Pune team) that the 175 mm GC is completely useable and there is no trick to show a higher GC. He mentioned that of all the (compact) sedans, SX4 & Zest can be belted around in bad roads and would clear most of the undulations with ease.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2014, 21:47   #1311
Senior - BHPian

Saw Zest for the first time at the mall today.
Really impressed. Smashing exterior and awesome interiors. My dad couldn't believe it's a Tata!
I am looking to replace our Manza with Zest petrol early next year.
Old 2nd August 2014, 23:12   #1312
BHPian

I test drove Zest today at Orion Mall. Thankfully, the stall wasn't crowded, hence I got to test drive both Petrol and Diesel. No AMT available for TD.

First impressions

1. Looks are neutral, offends none; will please many
2. Well built, Tight consistent gaps, Well screwed interiors, Doors close with "Figo, Fiesta" like thud.
3. Spacious
4. Superb ride and handling!
5. Lovely steering wheel
6. Soft seats..don't know how they would feel over long drives. Not a deal breaker
7. Harman Music system with 8 speakers were better than most OEMs..Touch screen works well
8. Projector headlamps and Corona rings look good.
9. GC looked same for both petrol & Diesel

Petrol:

1. Clutch is super light
2. Gear shift is super duper slick, butter smooth
3. Super refined and silent engine
4. Not turbo kick at all, very linear and hence perceived to be boring by me.

Diesel Manual:

1. Clutch is ok, but not as light as the petrol
2. Gear shift is again not slick as petrol, but ok..not a deal breaker
3. Power delivery is boring...I expected the turbo kick like Swift, earlier Vista quadrajet. This is a deal breaker for me..."Kick" was missing, hence I didn't get my kick. Thank god, I am buying the AMT version
4. Superb NVH...absolutely muted..beyond 3k RPM only the oil burner is audible.

Would I buy it?
Of course! The Diesel AMT it is for me only if they price it reasonably.
anandkumargb is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2014, 17:48   #1313
BHPian

http://zeenews.india.com/business/au...ed_103862.html
Old 3rd August 2014, 18:20   #1314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkumargb View Post
I test drove Zest today at Orion Mall. Thankfully, the stall wasn't crowded, hence I got to test drive both Petrol and Diesel. No AMT available for TD.

Would I buy it?
Of course! The Diesel AMT it is for me only if they price it reasonably.
Buddy where on earth near Orion mall can someone test the handling of the car? Its near impossible to do speeds of 80 kmph there. Are we talking about same Orion mall in Bangalore or am I missing something?

From what I have heard/read, the throttle response is very poor and geared towards FE. Did you experience any lag?

Last edited by moralfibre : 4th August 2014 at 09:44. Reason: Trimming quoted post.
Old 4th August 2014, 10:57   #1315
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: On the Tata Bolt Hatchback

Mod Note: Team-BHP's Tata Zest Review has been taken live at this link (Tata Zest : Official Review). Please discuss the Tata Zest *only* on the review thread.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 18:19   #1316
Senior - BHPian

Today morning in a highway road side coffee shop about 30km from Coimbatore on the Salem highway, saw this car pull up and the driver got down for coffee. From the prints on the body, I believe this is the Tata Bolt. I took one picture from a distance (hence the poor quality after cropping). Wanted to take some more pictures closer, but the driver was giving apprehensive looks my way and I was not sure if I could take the photos (this is the first time I am seeing a test car and I did not know if there would be some problem if I took close photos).

On the Tata Bolt Hatchback-dsc_0292.jpg
graaja is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th August 2014, 19:08   #1317
BHPian

This looks like a twin of the current Vista... While the overall shape stays, I hope the engine options, interiors etc will differentiate Bolt from Vista.
Old 13th August 2014, 22:54   #1318
Team-BHP Support

Looking at the Zest pricing, can we expect a 5.99L ex-showroom price tag for the Bolt diesel AMT? Now that should really shake up things in the hatch segment.

Usually the hatch version of the 4m sedan is between 70K to 1lakh lesser. That gives us a good estimate for the Bolt pricing and it looks mouth watering.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 09:10   #1319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Looking at the Zest pricing, can we expect a 5.99L ex-showroom price tag for the Bolt diesel AMT? Now that should really shake up things in the hatch segment.

Usually the hatch version of the 4m sedan is between 70K to 1lakh lesser. That gives us a good estimate for the Bolt pricing and it looks mouth watering.
Indeed. But with that Introductory price disclaimer on Zest pricing, not sure if our hopes will materialize. If they give Zest a 6 months headsup, they can very well sneak in a 2-3% hike and then launch Bolt with 60-70k difference. Net net about 30-40k difference from the current Zest prices.

But this is all needless speculation, let's see what TML actually does. Any news on the Bolt launch date yet?
Old 22nd August 2014, 13:55   #1320
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted this "On Test" vehicle near CMBT, Chennai. Live spotting actually.

Front end:
Name:  ForumRunner_20140822_135215.png
Views: 1400
Size:  432.0 KB

Rear 3-Quarters:
Name:  ForumRunner_20140822_135226.png
Views: 1407
Size:  339.2 KB

Went closer and found the driver smiling at me, he started the car and drove away and all I could hear was a mild clatter diminishing in the air.

Couldn't notice any badges clearly.

EDIT: I guess Graaja had spotted a similar looking car but may be a lower variant as that car was sporting steel wheels whereas the one I saw had alloys.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 22nd August 2014 at 14:21.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread