Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 4th December 2014, 17:24   #1396
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: On the Tata Bolt Hatchback

Indianautosblog has many details for Bolt.

http://indianautosblog.com/2014/12/t...-engine-160475

Full black interiors looking very cool to me. Overall car looks good, better than Zest for me as it don't have that odd boot & fortunately Tata has removed the Christmas lighting from rear.

For me Tata should have launched Bolt first before Zest. Zest is cool but would have been much more cool if they have added proper boot to that. I would love to see proper boot on Zest, will look awesome.

Last edited by aniketi : 4th December 2014 at 17:27.
aniketi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 18:18   #1397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
Just checked out the gear ratios of the new bolt
1.2 T Petrol, ratio for 4th Gear is .88, 5th Gear is .714
So does that mean even 4th Gear is overdrive in the Bolt petrol model.
Someone can elucidate
Thats interesting information. What are the ratios on the Zest? Also, it may as well work out fine if the Bolt is much lighter than the Vista. The Revotron does have good linear torque and power output & might easily manage the 2 overdrive gears.

Do you have the numbers for Diesel? Vista has OD on 4th & 5th & the ratio on 5th is so tall that its really a 5th + 6th gear (Bring a highway to me!!)
Old 4th December 2014, 18:36   #1398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Thats interesting information. What are the ratios on the Zest? Also, it may as well work out fine if the Bolt is much lighter than the Vista. The Revotron does have good linear torque and power output & might easily manage the 2 overdrive gears.

Do you have the numbers for Diesel? Vista has OD on 4th & 5th & the ratio on 5th is so tall that its really a 5th + 6th gear (Bring a highway to me!!)
Diesel I checked had 4th gear at 1.03 and 5th gear was .77 so only in the petrol model they have two OD
Old 4th December 2014, 18:59   #1399
BHPian

I am eagerly waiting for our Tbhp review. Curious to know how the Revotron performs.
Abhi_abarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 22:03   #1400
BHPian

One of the sites mentioned that the Bolt gets 175 section tyres as opposed to 185 on the Zest. Hope all these cost savings get carried over to customer.
Old 5th December 2014, 02:33   #1401
BHPian

Quote:
Its the turbo lag which bogs the Vista down & that really remains more or less with the 90PS too. So not a big deal really. The 75PS MJD should do well on the Bolt with a good gearbox.

Turbo lag on the Vista

One needs to be a owner of the Vista to feel the Turbo Lag or the Turbo Kick @ 1800-2000 rpm.

36 months today with 50k on the ODO, I have never felt any turbo lag. The car has gone almost all kind of roads & geographies.

Not boasting, but many Swifts have been overtaken on the highway, which has only led to their egos being hurt.

I personally cancelled booking for the new Swift in 2011 December and bought a Vista.

I damn care about the taxi image. The VFM it gives me at the price range is unmatched.

For that matter, even Etios/Sunny/Liva/Figo are now being run as taxis. So do people stop buying Mercs cause hotels run them as taxis.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 02:41   #1402
Distinguished - BHPian

Ridiculous; where is the DRL??!!! This would have looked so beautiful with the DRL!

Edit:: Just read that ALL variants are kitted with ABS as standard! So anyone and everyone who is debating on the looks of this product; please take a second to applaud TATA for this!!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th December 2014 at 02:44.
swiftnfurious is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 03:22   #1403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post

When I compare it to my Vista refresh, it does qualify for an upgrade, however the only thing I would crib for is a reduced boot. Why Tata, what was the need to increase space and reduce the boot by 20 litres.

It will hardly fit 2 big strolley's for a family on a highway trip. Bad.

The rear headrest design has been changed. Not sure how it would turn out to be, however the current ones act as a pillow on long runs.

Full featured rear lights with 2 reverse, 2 rear fog lamps, not like Punto or the old i20.

Projector headlamps as standard. WOW! That's like raising the bar in the segment in that price range.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 07:38   #1404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Turbo lag on the Vista

One needs to be a owner of the Vista to feel the Turbo Lag or the Turbo Kick @ 1800-2000 rpm.

Not boasting, but many Swifts have been overtaken on the highway, which has only led to their egos being hurt.

I personally cancelled booking for the new Swift in 2011 December and bought a Vista.

I damn care about the taxi image. The VFM it gives me at the price range is unmatched.

For that matter, even .....
Dear Gaurav,

Relax and please check out my avatar and signature. I own a Vista myself. And I'm so happy with her that I have no intention of ever separating with her. So I'm with you on the h*ll with taxi image.

However, I'll still stick with my opinion about the turbo lag. Yes it kicks in around 1750. Still, the MJD suffers from turbo lag simply because of its lower cubic capacity. Especially with my preference to early upshifts. It is not at all a deal breaker. But yes the turbo lag does affect the heavy Vista. Have you driven the Renault k9k? It would have worked wonders.

In fact for turbo lag, I found the Tata 475 TDI (Vista Tdi) slightly better as it has about 150cc more in NA mode below the turbo band.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 08:21   #1405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Especially with my preference to early upshifts. It is not at all a deal breaker. But yes the turbo lag does affect the heavy Vista. Have you driven the Renault k9k? It would have worked wonders.
Not sure why you are arguing when you know the reason and the cause for the turbo lag. A small capacity engine producing relatively bigger power will have turbo lag... blame physics if you will. Is it so hard to change the driving style to suit the characteristics of an engine?

While that Renault engine is very good in the city, it is an absolute dud on the highway. Even the 110 ps version of the same engine has turbo lag. Again simple laws of physics that you cannot refuse.

That said, my cousin owns the first generation of the Indica Vista Quadrajet. I have driven that car extensively and although there is lag, it much more controlled than the same engine in the Swift or the Punto.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 08:48   #1406
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Not sure why you are arguing when you know the reason and the cause for the turbo lag. A small capacity engine producing relatively bigger power will have turbo lag... blame physics if you will. Is it so hard to change the driving style to suit the characteristics of an engine?
Where did I say I have a huge problem with it? I'm totally happy with my car. The discussion is whether the Vista has turbo lag. In your lines below, you have also confirmed it does.

Cannot blame physics. The rules keep world as it is. I picked this car taking all things into consideration.

Quote:
That said, my cousin owns the first generation of the Indica Vista Quadrajet. I have driven that car extensively and although there is lag, it much more controlled than the same engine in the Swift or the Punto.
That is due to the extremely short first and even shorter 2nd gear in the Vista. This has its own drawbacks too. Ever experienced the odd jerk/lurch due to ratio gap when shifting from 3rd to 2nd on an incline with traffic?

You'll have to go back a few posts to see where the discussion started really. This is an area where we hope the Bolt to do better.

And certainly. I don't think too many members will say that the Vista is a sporty car and has an awesome fun factor - enthusiast type. The Bolt should have it. That will be it's USP. Otherwise, the Vista already does everything exceptionally well.

Some members suggested a 90ps qjd was required for Bolt while my point is that the 75ps engine is also fine even with the turbo lag if the Bolt is slightly lighter compared to the Vista. The argument to that was that the Vista does not have turbo lag. I guess we agree that it does .

Last edited by Reinhard : 5th December 2014 at 08:52.
Old 5th December 2014, 10:12   #1407
Senior - BHPian

210L boot and 5.1m turning radius look like big red flags. Any idea what was the turning radius of the current generation Vista?

Boot space clearly shows that both these cars were designed from the Vista irrespective of what they claim. If not, they could have easily extended the length a little more to give an average sized boot. Even if Bolt was designed from Zest, they could have easily salvaged a 230L boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Edit:: Just read that ALL variants are kitted with ABS as standard! So anyone and everyone who is debating on the looks of this product; please take a second to applaud TATA for this!!
Read again! ABS, EBD and CSC are offered in top variants, not all. Standard features across variant is front disc and rear drum.

Quote:
All variants offer front disc and rear drum brakes with ABS, EBD and Corner Stability Control offered on top-end variants.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 10:56   #1408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Full black interiors looking very cool to me. Overall car looks good, better than Zest for me as it don't have that odd boot & fortunately Tata has removed the Christmas lighting from rear.
What would you prefer? The xmas tree that really looks wonderful at night? Or the filler that they have placed now in the place of Vista's red lenses? Please refer to the blue highlight in the image below. Reminds me of what happened to the Scorpio recently .

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Boot space clearly shows that both these cars were designed from the Vista irrespective of what they claim.
There was never a doubt at all. The whole bodyshell is the same with minor tweaks here and there. Refer to the yellow box in the image below. The metal parts, creases, curves (heck everything!) is unchanged from Vista. If this is born from the Zest, the engineering & design departments really are wasting time in reinventing existing things!

Name:  bolt3.jpg
Views: 1555
Size:  99.5 KB
Old 5th December 2014, 17:09   #1409
BHPian

Quote:

/
The spec sheets at that site say that the Bolt comes with ABS+EBD+Corner Stability Control.

If that is ESC, then that is big news, since it makes it the only car other than the Polo TSI+DSG variant that comes with ESC under 10 lakhs.
chncar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 17:23   #1410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
The spec sheets at that site say that the Bolt comes with ABS+EBD+Corner Stability Control.

If that is ESC, then that is big news, since it makes it the only car other than the Polo TSI+DSG variant that comes with ESC under 10 lakhs.
2nd car. Zest is already launched with it . (If it is indeed the ESC as you also mentioned.)
Closed Thread