Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2015, 15:00   #346
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,558
Thanked: 1,058 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post


This isn't a Amaze Vs Aspire discussion. It started when a post wanted the Aspire to be priced significantly lesser or speced higher than an Amaze. All I'm saying is, Honda has stooped to a new low with the Amaze and I really don't want Ford to be going any further down for the sake of sales.
Well, I didn't want to continue
But, I believe, I should clarify. I have never said that I want Ford to lower the quality levels of the Aspire compared to Amaze. Never. Period.

All I said was that they need to price it lower than Dzire/Amaze to be successful in the market and I stand by what I said. Of course, pricing is not the only factor for it's success. There are other factors in play but it is a very key factor nonetheless.

Tata has priced the Zest lower with much better quality levels and so I feel that Ford can do it as well. The Zest didn't set the sales charts on fire but that's a separate topic. They did it with the Ecosport (at least during the initial launch phase) and with the Figo and they need to do it for the Aspire as well to be successful.

Also, while we are talking about the interior quality or build quality, other factors like the engine/performance/reliability/A.S.S are equally important as well. If you take the Figo as an example, the petrol engine was the worst in the segment by a fair margin and the diesel was just about average to put it mildly. I hope they offer much better engines in the Aspire.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2015, 15:15   #347
Senior - BHPian
 
kiku007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,610
Thanked: 1,223 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire

You don't have to say the Figo's 1.2L Petrol was average, it was bad There was no usable power anywhere in the rev range. The Aspire's 1.2L is going to be re-worked engine based on this. Not much hope.

Wrt the diesel, in what state of tune is the 1.5L diesel going to come? The Fiesta/Ecosport 1.5L Diesel engine is extremely frugal but nowhere as powerful as say a Vento
kiku007 is online now  
Old 4th June 2015, 15:59   #348
BHPian
 
pratyush6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: RNC - BLR
Posts: 485
Thanked: 541 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire

Pretty interesting thread going on.

I for one, own a Figo and an Amaze. Not to make this a Aspire Vs. Amaze debate anymore, but I will choose the Ford any day over Amaze.

Someone asked who will care about the Airbags?
Well, the 6 Airbags is surely something that gets my attention and that Ford is serious about safety - which to me is paramount. If it is priced anywhere around the Amaze, I will look to buy it. Only catch is they do not go greedy as they went with Ecosoprt.

A Ford will typically fit into a bracket of a decent looking and great handling car, with not so good FE and comfort. If they could only make it more comfortable, to me then there is no complaints.

P.S. I really like the way it looks for a sub 4m car.

Last edited by pratyush6 : 4th June 2015 at 16:00.
pratyush6 is offline  
Old 4th June 2015, 16:07   #349
BHPian
 
jayded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TVM, HYD
Posts: 535
Thanked: 455 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire

I read somewhere on the thread that the 1.5 diesel might be detuned to 75 odd HP. The 90bhp being already used in the Ecosport and the Fiesta, may not be used in the Aspire, being in a segment below them. I sincerely hope we get the 90bhp diesel in both the Aspire and the next generation Figo. It's a crime to have a chassis like the Figo and not power it adequately.
jayded is offline  
Old 4th June 2015, 17:22   #350
Senior - BHPian
 
tharian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SBC
Posts: 2,308
Thanked: 2,715 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
You don't have to say the Figo's 1.2L Petrol was average, it was bad There was no usable power anywhere in the rev range. The Aspire's 1.2L is going to be re-worked engine based on this. Not much hope.
He actually said it was the worst in the segment.

Yes, it is low down on power in the segment, but I thought the Punto was the worst with a lower output on paper and is heavier than the Figo? Anyway that is off topic.

I wouldn't go to the extent of saying it has NO usable power anywhere in the rev range. I am living with one since 5 years and yes mine is worked on which makes a bit more free than the stock engine and yes, I have felt the lack of power , but that is when the engine is on load.
When I am driving alone , in city or highway, I never thought I bought the wrong car.
Call me a Ford fanboy, but I wouldn't de-grade the engine a lot. After all it is based off the 1.6 duratec and is a DOHC , so there should be some usable power hidden somewhere

One big question I always had to Ford was, why couldn't they get atleast 75bhp back then instead of including VVT technology now and get the 75bhp which is again under-powered for the present times.
tharian is offline  
Old 4th June 2015, 17:57   #351
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NH209
Posts: 1,607
Thanked: 701 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
I read somewhere on the thread that the 1.5 diesel might be detuned to 75 odd HP..
That speculation arouse because the UK fiesta uses the same diesel engine, generating 75 hp(But that is because of the DPF).

However there's no use taking these engines above 3000 rpm, so 75 or 90, numbers doesn't matter. Maybe the lower power will ensure better torque spread down than at 2k rpm.
ramzsys is offline  
Old 4th June 2015, 20:16   #352
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,226
Thanked: 578 Times
Default

Looks are purely subjective. I feel Amaze has the best exterior in its segment (I am hoping Aspire can beat it in this) and pathetic interior. However, the factor which works for Amaze is the Honda reliability and they have the best engines in both petrol and Diesel. If Honda can give a face-lift with better interiors it will again start doing 5k-7k sales. But, their sole concentration right now is on Jazz so don't see that happening in near future.

Coming back to Aspire I am eagerly awaiting it. We have to change my father's Manza by end of year. His heart is set on Zest but if Aspire is priced sensibly I would be in favor of that. Having driven my cousins Fiesta many times I am a fan of its handling and don't see Aspire disappointing in that department. Now don't be greedy Ford and launch it with acceptable pricing.
harry10 is online now  
Old 4th June 2015, 23:58   #353
BHPian
 
itsashishsharma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 684
Thanked: 571 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Looks are purely subjective. I feel Amaze has the best exterior in its segment (I am hoping Aspire can beat it in this) and pathetic interior. However, the factor which works for Amaze is the Honda reliability and they have the best engines in both petrol and Diesel. If Honda can give a face-lift with better interiors it will again start doing 5k-7k sales. But, their sole concentration right now is on Jazz so don't see that happening in near future.

Coming back to Aspire I am eagerly awaiting it. We have to change my father's Manza by end of year. His heart is set on Zest but if Aspire is priced sensibly I would be in favor of that. Having driven my cousins Fiesta many times I am a fan of its handling and don't see Aspire disappointing in that department. Now don't be greedy Ford and launch it with acceptable pricing.
I agree with you on most of the points, except that the Zest and the Xcent looks better than the Amaze in exteriors. There is no doubt about Amaze's interiors being pathetic. Also, I believe that if it is a diesel, Amaze's NVHs are just too high, especially comparing it with Zest's VGT 90hp Multijet.
I also bought the Zest diesel for my father and if you ask me, it is the best bet in the CS segment. The Aspire might just beat that given better handling being trademark for all Fords.
On another, unrelated note, I think that we, the bhpians should not worry much about how much sales any car makes, we should discuss about the car as a product and other related things like the After Sales Service and the Brand perception etc, nothing bad in it but our focus should stay on merits and demerits of the car rather than how much money it would make for the company. The Aspire can well be the next best CS in dieasel especially, and if it sells at 3-4k per month, I will call it a success for Ford and won't hesitate to say that it would be a good buy in long term.
itsashishsharma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 07:45   #354
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NH209
Posts: 1,607
Thanked: 701 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire

Today's 'the hindu' carries a full page ad for the Honda Amaze, highlighting 10 reasons that will make you want to own it. And a 'customised offer' when the customer visits the dealership(before 30th june).

Feeling the heat of the Aspire's mall shows?

by the way i don't work for Honda. In fact i hate the so-called Amaze.
ramzsys is offline  
Old 5th June 2015, 08:26   #355
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: -
Posts: 861
Thanked: 1,003 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire

Just a quick question: will the Aspire come with the 1.0L Ecoboost engine?
swiftdiesel is offline  
Old 5th June 2015, 08:42   #356
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,226
Thanked: 578 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
I agree with you on most of the points, except that the Zest and the Xcent looks better than the Amaze in exteriors. There is no doubt about Amaze's interiors being pathetic. Also, I believe that if it is a diesel, Amaze's NVHs are just too high, especially comparing it with Zest's VGT 90hp Multijet.
I also bought the Zest diesel for my father and if you ask me, it is the best bet in the CS segment. The Aspire might just beat that given better handling being trademark for all Fords.
On another, unrelated note, I think that we, the bhpians should not worry much about how much sales any car makes, we should discuss about the car as a product and other related things like the After Sales Service and the Brand perception etc, nothing bad in it but our focus should stay on merits and demerits of the car rather than how much money it would make for the company. The Aspire can well be the next best CS in dieasel especially, and if it sells at 3-4k per month, I will call it a success for Ford and won't hesitate to say that it would be a good buy in long term.
Like I said, looks are subjective. I loved the exterior of Zest when I first saw it in the mall. Couldn't believe it's a Tata product. Xcent doesn't excite me by its looks but along with its features it's a good package.

I agree wholeheartedly with you. We bhpians should not be bothered by how much which car sells. Between us and general public the difference is our knowledge of a product and judging it entirely on its merit rather than brand perception.

My current concerns about Aspire -
1. Will Ford launch it at a reasonable price and will they sustain it or go the ecosport way of being greedy?

2. Can they handle the demand? How much is their production capacity? I don't want a waiting period of more than a year like it happened with Ecosport.

3. Handling is covered but what about the engine power. Specially the petrol in which I am Interested. If it's under power the deal won't make sense to me. Otherwise I may have to look at diesel which again is a Question Mark of being under powered.

4. The A.S.S and cost of spare parts. After dealing with Tata for a decade we are well versed with average customer service ( though they had improved a lot in last couple of years). But, we want a hassle free ownership like everyone else. I guess current owners of Ford can shed more light on this.

If Ford can address these concerns in a positive manner I am highly inclined towards Aspire.
harry10 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 09:24   #357
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 214
Thanked: 245 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Just a quick question: will the Aspire come with the 1.0L Ecoboost engine?
As of now, no it won't come with the Ecoboost engine, it was confirmed by a Ford executive during the Aspire's launch. He said it would work out to be too expensive.
tjacob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 09:25   #358
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,508 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsav1303 View Post
The update on website confirms 1.5L Diesel and 1.2L Gasoline.

http://touch.india.ford.com/cars/fig...odule-features
Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire-fordengines.jpg

Both images given are of the Petrol engine
Who are they fooling? Ford knows that the general public won't be able to distinguish between the image of their Diesel engine and their Petrol engine. Why not give the image of the actual 1.5 TDCI motor than show the picture of a Petrol motor and label it as Diesel 1.5 TDCI?

Last edited by Sankar : 5th June 2015 at 09:30.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 10:20   #359
BHPian
 
jayded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TVM, HYD
Posts: 535
Thanked: 455 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Both images given are of the Petrol engine
Who are they fooling? Ford knows that the general public won't be able to distinguish between the image of their Diesel engine and their Petrol engine. Why not give the image of the actual 1.5 TDCI motor than show the picture of a Petrol motor and label it as Diesel 1.5 TDCI?
When i checked the site, the pictures mysteriously swapped

Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire-screen-shot-20150605.jpg

Just for understanding purposes, how do you say if an engine is Diesel or Petrol?
jayded is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2015, 10:28   #360
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NH209
Posts: 1,607
Thanked: 701 Times
Default Re: Ford Figo-based compact sedan - The Aspire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
When i checked the site, the pictures mysteriously swapped
no. That is still not the diesel motor.

I tell it by the air intake hoses.
ramzsys is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Tiago-based compact sedan. EDIT: Tigor launched at Rs 4.7 lakhs Tushar The Indian Car Scene 780 23rd June 2017 14:27
VW mulls Polo-based compact SUV arjab The International Automotive Scene 9 27th January 2016 07:42
Rumour: Renault-Nissan contemplating Micra based compact sedan JayPrashanth The Indian Car Scene 1 27th August 2013 16:35


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:16.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks