Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 21st June 2006, 10:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen
Same in Calcutta except there's no visual difference between 30 and 3 years old. No CNG cylinder as yet though.
Please dont take this away from Calcutta, Calcuttans actually have a choice of choosing recessed door Handles and the protruded ones. The Under bumper panel housing indicators (post Mark 4) or the Bumper at the bottom (Pre Mark 4). Most importantly the choice of going Slow or Slower. Its the Bombay counterparts that have less difference (presence or absence of front quarter glass).
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2006, 11:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

I am happy, Hyd doesn't have those so called bees. Already it's overcrowded with their little cousins from another planet (read autos). I always wait for the day when autos go on strike. But this usually happens when i get down from a train or i want to go to railway station to catch a train. These are the two situations when we pray to god because he blessed us with those creatures.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2006, 16:37   #18
BHPian

Rudra has excellently defined Calcutta cabs

Some more:

Black/Yellow Amby cabs = Can ply only within Calcutta & Howrah
Yellow Amby cabs = Can ply anywhere in West Bengal

Calcutta cabs are also unique in one aspect. If the driver doesn't like your route (eg. he is moving towards his garage at night and you want to go opposite way), he will refuse to carry you (or will demand extra money). Cabbie refusal incidents in Calcutta is so rampant that few years back there were taxis marked with NO REFUSAL on their doors!

AC Indica cabs were introduced few years back but because of high fare, not became popular.

PS: Unlike other cities, autos in Calcutta can't ply on any routes like taxis. They have some fixed routes (fixed price - no meter). I think this is good - otherwise the entire city would have been nightmare!

Last edited by sbasak : 21st June 2006 at 16:39.
sbasak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2006, 22:10   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

So what the conclusion here guys? Are Mumbaikars using cabs only because autos are banned in downtown Mumbai? What about suburban areas. Obviously, if nobody used them then they would not be around anymore.

And what about customer demand in other cities. If we had more cabs in our cities, would people use it or just stick to autos. Somehow this huge disparity between Mumbai and other cities still dosent make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Not enough cabs in other cities? Please take a few thousand from here!
Ha Ha, good write up Rt, I can see its coming straight from the heart
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 01:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Yes, they do, but I've personally seen 3 different rate charts! I guess they probably have another one stashed away for tourists as well; Just like the Coke ad.
cmon man....one thing that doesnt happen in mumbai cabs nd ricks is cheating. thts one thing we have to be thankful for. in delhi no cab or rick ever has a working meter and you have to set a price before getting in. I read in the paper that some fulora foundation or somthing is going to start running esteems nd indicas as cabs in mumbai. that should work out well. somthing like the radio cabs in delhi. they are really good. excellent service ! all at Rs. 12 kilometer the cabs are all ACed btw.

ps has anyone noticed that there are a growing number of cabs that are not Fiats? iv seen santros, zens nd even palios as cabs. not cool cabs but the black nd yellow ones. if one agrees to pay 1.5 times the normal rate one can get a nice indica cool cab which is pretty comfortable nd convinent.

Last edited by khanak : 22nd June 2006 at 01:39.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 10:03   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So what the conclusion here guys?
Well, as much as I hate the cabbies here, I have to admit that they are indeed a vital part of the cities transport network, and also one of the things that allows people to travel easily within mumbai without a worry about how to get from one place to another. Also, I can only imagine the utter chaos that would exist if rickshaws were allowed! Frankly IMO, rickshaws have no place in a city anymore. And I mean any city, be it Mumbai, Bangalore, Delhi or Calcutta.

The problem is, our Govt. is too much of a coward to lay down strict guidlines for taxi's. Hence, while the number of taxi's has now increased to beyong 50,000, with 80% of those only within South bombay, the running condition has become so bad, that it is now dangerous to actually travel by them. This is an area where the Govt. should step in. Its ironic that they are now enforcing the seatbelt law and the helmet law properly, but they choose to overlook the moving deathtraps that are our taxi's.

Everytime a proposal is put up to improve the taxi's, the Unions object citing a loss of jobs, and the Govt. backs down. Our PM in his speech yesterday laid the blame for the terrible state of Mumbai solely on the shoulders of the State Govt. And rightly so. We need a Govt. with some *****, and unfortunatly none of the present leaders have that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
cmon man....one thing that doesnt happen in mumbai cabs nd ricks is cheating.
I do a lot of airport runs. Same route and approximately the same time of day. I get meter readings as varied as Rs.150/- at times. If thats not cheating, what is?
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 10:08   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Khanak- cmon man....one thing that doesnt happen in mumbai cabs nd ricks is cheating.
hahaha.. nice joke early in the morning.. should this be shifted to the JOKES thread.. In all my years of travelling by cab's MAYBE 1% of the cabbie's are honest.. the rest of the 99% will try to take the shirt off your back if you let them.. Come on dude.. why are you defending them..
2L8uLoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 10:32   #23
rks
BANNED

Regarding the driving style of Mumbai cabbies -- it can be very annoying or very *useful* to you at times. When you signal to change your lane and a cabbie is behind you in the lane to which you want to change, you can be sure that the cabbie will aggressively speed up and wouldn't hesitate to come within two inches of your vehicle if necessary to prevent your intended lane change. Aggressive driver that I am, I must still admit defeat when confronting thse cabbies in such a situation. But the same brazenness can be put to good use when you want to cut into a busy main road or go past a circle (say, Sion circle). It pays to follow a cabbie closely or even better, use a cabbie as a shield by your side, when you cut into the main road or the lane you want to pursue. These guys just don't care about even making a bus driver brake hard and just cut into the main road with amazing confidence. So waiting for the cabbie to take the lead and putting him between yourself and the bus in question is the best move for your own safety.
rks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 11:31   #24
k36
BHPian

Default Cabs in other cities!

I've seen lots of yellow-black cabs in Shillong
Yes you can hail and get one. No Padminis though .. Ambys, Indicas, Santros, Omnis etc.
And no meters ... negotiate the price and go.
Probable reason is the hilly terrain which makes autos unviable.
k36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 13:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

There is a urgent need to get these cabbies organised and off the road when they are empty and in the mood to cruise the city streets. RT has explained it quite simply...

1) why dont these buggers want to improve ..why do they insist on driving the 30-40 year old cabs even when the govt is ready to subsidise loans for new cabs?

2) why dont they go the LPG/CNG way when the govt is ready to subsidise the kits ....what do they think ?

3) Why dont they want to implement the prepaid system that includes waiting at a centre stand in the city ?

4) Why do they insist on running the old meters inspite of the govt again subsidising the rates for the new electronic ones ?

5) Why do taxis running on CNG/LPG/Diesel charge the same as those running on petrol?

6) Why do these buggers wash/clean the taxis and themselves anywhere on the road ?

I think if we asked the cabbies to go back to thier own states - UP and Bihar will benefit majorly..

Last edited by normally_crazy : 22nd June 2006 at 13:53.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 13:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8uLoose
hahaha.. nice joke early in the morning.. should this be shifted to the JOKES thread.. In all my years of travelling by cab's MAYBE 1% of the cabbie's are honest.. the rest of the 99% will try to take the shirt off your back if you let them.. Come on dude.. why are you defending them..
check out the cabs in a place other than mumbai nd ull know what cheating is
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 14:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

Guys, just to put this in the right perspective, there are hordes of black & yellows in Delhi as well (kali-pili as they are called), Ambassador (1.8 ISZs) & Maruti Omnis mostly and they are all propelled by CNG (green as ever!). While you cannot see them parked on the street corner, you normally have at least three or four taxi stands in each neighbourhood where they are avialable for hire (they arrive at your dorrstep if you give them a call). They are also available at the station & airports.

Most of them have electronic meters but god help you, 7 times out of 10 you may get fleeced as the meters are doctored so, its sometimes better to negotiate a rate when you climb on board.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2006, 14:52   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
check out the cabs in a place other than mumbai nd ull know what cheating is
Oh Im sorry.. I didnt know we were discussing DEGREES OF CHEATING HERE.
Dude.. cheating by a paise or by a 100 bucks.. same thing in my book!
2L8uLoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 15:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Why don't we have black & yellow cabs anywhere else other than Mumbai ?

Even If Govt Promotes Taxis, as long as enforcement is not there, It is no good. The Black and Yellow Taxis from Chennai Airport / Central are equally notorious for overcharging/ cheating. Bringing in Facilities are easy, but enforcing them are not taken seriously in most places in india.

I asked the fare from Central to my home in Teynampet by black and yellow cabs. I was quoted 850/- .

Private Call Taxis charged me close to 300/-.

I also notice(at least in Chennai) we can flag down a call taxi from most locations else, call the call center and within 10-15 mins a taxi arrives at doorstep.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote