Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 15th November 2013, 20:56   #16
BHPian

Some people like me have been willing to give VW the benefit of the doubt and believe that they would like to do the right thing. But as the evidence piles on, one has to conclude that VAG is a third rate organisation, with a complete lack of concern for customers, willing to act only when it's arms are twisted. China is the biggest market for VAG, and it has to respond to concerns from Chinese regulators. India is a tiny market, filled with idiots like yours truly who go and buy multiple VAG products despite all the warnings that are posted online, and even bitter personal experience. Further, the GOI is incapable of punishing even companies that blatantly and criminally violate the law like GM with more than a wrap on the knuckles - so clearly the chances of the GOI going after VAG because it makes lousy products and does not bother to support them is negligible.

The way VAG is going, it should be seen as the new GM - intentionally selling poor quality products that work nicely for a while. And perhaps it will go the GM way.
Hayek is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 22:00   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Good to see a global recall for DQ200.
Is this the reason they are going slow with Polo TSI deliveries here in India, read somewhere there is 2-3 months waiting.

Last edited by S.MJet : 15th November 2013 at 22:01.
S.MJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 22:06   #18

Default Re: VW announces Global Recall of 26 lakh cars (including for the 7-Speed DSG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Is this the reason they are going slow with Polo TSI deliveries here in India, read somewhere there is 2-3 months waiting.
They just launched the Vento TSI with the same gearbox, so this reason seems unlikely. It might just be that they did not expect much demand considering it is a 9L+ Hatch.

Should we expect to hear something from VAG India regarding the recall in the coming weeks?
paw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 23:02   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
What's also really bothering me is that:

1. None of the Indian auto car mags' site is carrying the story (as of now) while it was headlines enough for a broader publication like WSJ;

2. None of them hence bother to ask VW about the fate of Indian customers, while they carry other fresh articles on VW's discounts and so forth (Autocar India).

Shouldn't a auto reporter be calling VW's PR person, take VW India's official line and file a story ahead of WSJ? Common Autocar India, you can do better. And don't complain that you lose circulation to Team BHP!

Cheers,
Slowly but surely I have lost all interest in auto mags and auto tv shows (except top gear which is entertaining and can be very blatant in criticising certain cars). I find their test drives and reviews very superficial and cosmetic compared to test drives and user reviews on team bhp. The editor of one of the auto mags went to head the Corp comm / PR for a VW group company. So I think it would be naive to believe our auto mags and tv shows are for the viewers / readers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
They probably thought to bask in the limelight since I think Toyota also suffered great quality issues 3 years making them relinquish the #1 spot to VW?

Also would this cover Skoda and their other sub-brands as well?
Globally it covers vw and Audi. Skoda is not mentioned in the press but this recall is specific to the dq 200 gearbox and may cover skoda in markets where it is sold and where vw group is complying with the recall laws of the specific country / markets. Skoda superb and Octavia usenthe dq200 gearbox as mentioned by anshuman in this thread.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP).

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 16th November 2013 at 10:26.
Drivethru is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 07:33   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: VW announces Global Recall of 26 lakh cars (including for the 7-Speed DSG)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivethru View Post
This problem is especially bad in countries with humid and hot environment and where stop and go traffic is seen.
That has India written all over it, isn't it?

Will VW be swapping just the transmission fluid from synthetic to mineral for this recall? Will the DSG system be replaced/ repaired? If its the former, I think TSI DSG owners here should voluntarily ask for a transmission fluid change without waiting for a formal recall/ wasting time. Check with the SA, VW might be doing it very hush hush over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Wanna clarify that the VW recall I posted about yesterday has no bearing on the India portfolio... So no worries! SVP
Guess VW' India PR machine kicked into action there. 2.6 million is big! Still none of the major automag sites are carrying this news.
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 12:03   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
That has India written all over it, isn't it?
Guess VW' India PR machine kicked into action there. 2.6 million is big! Still none of the major automag sites are carrying this news.
That's a big concern as SVP of CNB just confirmed that the recall has no bearing to India. But sadly there have been so many known issues with Superb TSI's and I am expecting the same problems in the new Octavia TSI. Both use DQ200. Now VW is not considering India in the recall is a fair call? I think its rather an Evasive call by VW! You need to inform the customers. When I called the workshop to inquire, the service guy was like: "What recall? really? Sir you must be mistaken"
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 12:40   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

They say hot and humid conditions and stop and go traffic are responsible for triggering the failures and skip India for the recall???

And I find it hard to digest that its just the oil that's causing the failures. Isn't synthetic oil supposed to provide better lubrication?

Putting the blame on the oil makes VW look all too innocent doesn't it? I think they are just serving up bullshit to cover their a**es.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 16th November 2013 at 12:44.
Santoshbhat is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 13:13   #23
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

I really wonder if changing the gearbox oil from synthetic to mineral is THE fix for the unreliability of the DQ200 dual-clutch gearbox? I mean how much difference can a mineral oil make over a synthetic one to solve the infamous reliability issue? Aren't synthetic oils supposed to be much better than the equivalent mineral oils under all operating conditions? How can changing the gearbox oil to a (supposedly) inferior one solve the reliability issues that have been plaguing this particular transmission?

One possible explanation of course, is that they are using a different grade of oil as the replacement. It's possible that the DQ200 used an unsuitable grade/specification of (synthetic) oil till now, one that caused problems in hot and humid weather conditions, and start-stop traffic. Over all these years of testing by the company and by the unsuspecting guinea pigs (VAG customers), they could have found out that a different specification of oil (especially mineral) performs much better than the existing one under the specified conditions. It's even possible that the company did not realise this themselves, but was informed of the same by a customer who tried out a different specification of gearbox oil either deliberately or by accident.

Whatever be the case, is using mineral oil (possibly of a different grade/specification) instead of a synthetic one actually going to SOLVE the issue? Or is it merely going to reduce the chances of this DSG going kaput when used in the mentioned weather and traffic conditions? Even if it reduced the chances of a failure by a significant margin, it is indeed advisable to change the oil. But it is really going to solve the problem once and for all? Or is the VAG doing this to merely fend off/reduce complaints and lawsuits by fed up customers and punitive action by regulatory agencies (in other countries that is, and not India)? To show them they (VAG) are aware of the issue and have possibly found a way of reducing failures somewhat, even if it is not THE fix for issue? I suspect the latter.

If the recall is not applicable to India, then the message from the VAG to its Indian customers is quite clear. And that is, you are a third world people with a third world government and third rate regulatory agencies that give a damn about you. We want you as our "valued" customers (i.e. we want your hard-earned money) but we won't recall our cars in India (unlike in other markets) because you third class customers don't deserve any better. You should be thanking the heavens that you even get to enjoy the fruits of our unparalleled, "superior German engineering" And if the DQ200 goes kaput, we care for you by sending out a flatbed. What more do you want?

Truly disgusting!

I think DQ200 buyers in India will have to bombard VAG companies, dealers and their propaganda arms (auto magazines) with a barrage of calls and e-mails to get the job done.

Last edited by RSR : 16th November 2013 at 13:26.
RSR is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 14:30   #24
Senior - BHPian

VW has asked dealers to stop taking booking for Polo Trendline models. Did they ever mention it in public. Why do they still mention on the website that the Polo trendline (Petrol & Diesel) is still up for sale. They should be referred to MRTPC or it's equivalent agencies for unfair trade practices on this count.

Most likely they have still kept the Trendline model on their website as a way to pull interested customer and lure them into buying higher varients. A VW sales executive told me that VW stopped shipping trendline models from 4 months ago.

Last edited by lurker : 16th November 2013 at 14:34.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 15:30   #25
BHPian

I got in touch with my dealer about this having bought a Vento TSi two weeks ago. They don't have any update from VW, however I insisted that they prod the company saying that customers are asking for more clarity on this. I also plan to write to Corporate HQ.
dnahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 15:31   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Yes, it is indeed surprising that Indian media have not picked up this news. Even in a small market like Singapore, they have identified the exact no. of calls to recall (news link here).

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
That's a big concern as SVP of CNB just confirmed that the recall has no bearing to India. But sadly there have been so many known issues with Superb TSI's and I am expecting the same problems in the new Octavia TSI. Both use DQ200. Now VW is not considering India in the recall is a fair call? I think its rather an Evasive call by VW! You need to inform the customers. When I called the workshop to inquire, the service guy was like: "What recall? really? Sir you must be mistaken"
What Mr. SVP says is not important, and probably itís wrong to assume that India is not there in their plans. The concern is the last part of your post. It is a global recall, and VAG probably have kept India at the lower end of their priority list. It may be worth showing your service center some of the news items on this topic, and force them to do a check (confirming on the oil type may not be that difficult of a task right?)
vb-san is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 16:50   #27
BHPian

I was cursing myself the other day because if I had waited a bit I could have got myself a Vento Tsi instead of Rapid TDi. Boy am I glad that I bought a Rapid TDi. At the same time I am bit concerned that VW doesn't think Indian customers don't deserve the same respect as others. This is exactly the reason why I avoided buying the DSG Jetta (even though there was no issue with the 6-speed) and the fact that they never offered extended warranty. This would be my last VAG car unless VW shows some respect (by recalling all Indian cars affected) and solves the DSG issue.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 17:31   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

DSG Experts: Would it make sense for Indian owners to order the new-spec mineral oil themselves? And change it in their DSGs?

Wouldn't be too difficult to source online.

VW India's silence on the issue is surprising. The great, big INTERNET means you can't hide international happenings anymore!
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 18:33   #29
BHPian

Has anyone heard of failures from the phased out Passat having the DQ200 7 speed gearbox.

Not to my knowledge. Which is quite weird because the Superb had many failures.

Unless those passats had upgraded mechatronics on them.
Ford5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 19:57   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5
Has anyone heard of failures from the phased out Passat having the DQ200 7 speed gearbox.

Not to my knowledge. Which is quite weird because the Superb had many failures.

Unless those passats had upgraded mechatronics on them.
I don't think the Passat ever came with the DQ200 box in India.

The Polo TSI is probably the first VW badged car in India with the troubled 7 speed dsg box. That's one reason for the Indian arm's silence I suppose. It's the Skodas that have suffered in India.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote