Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 25th November 2013, 09:23   #46
BHPian

Default Re: 2013 Lineup: The Best Enthusiast Cars in India

Excellent thread GTO.

I am wondering what difference it would make to the thread if we still have Civic or a faster Figo. Ford had a chance to do what Polo GT has now done to the market.

Waiting to see the changes and response the Honda City brings to this list.

Any specific reasons why the Rapid was left out? It is a driver's car and a better VFM car in the 10L bracket.

Last edited by GTO : 26th November 2013 at 15:10. Reason: PM coming up
Old 25th November 2013, 09:43   #47
BHPian

FIAT Punto MJD should be there in the list, also the new Verna 1.6 diesel is now much better in terms of handling as compared to its previous avtar with power at the disposal of the driver. I am sure these two cars have certain cult liking and have got good following in the market.

Cheers
Old 25th November 2013, 09:56   #48
BHPian

Nice write-up, and perfect choices of cars, GTO. I'd been wanting for quite some time for this list, as the 'Best Driver's car in India' thread is a bit 'old and forgotten' now. Inclusion of the K-10 makes the list complete, as for normal short trips on our narrow and congested roads it beats many bigger cars hands down.
Joe M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 10:12   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

If one wants to own a (real) SUV or a MUV, and loves to drive, what are his choices? Which cars in this segment have the best engine, ride & handling combination?
smartcat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 10:49   #50
Senior - BHPian

Great selection of cars GTO and an interesting thread at that!! I would put the cruze here as well possibly , i think she would make the cut for this one.
Old 25th November 2013, 11:03   #51
Senior - BHPian

IMO it has to be the Fiat T-jet... best bang for bucks that are quoted. But, not sure if anybody outside TBHP is buying it .
Old 25th November 2013, 11:15   #52
BHPian

Maruti Omni should also have been added to the list, it's fun to drive car. I mean c'mon guys, that way all the cars are fun to drive in the hands of a enthusiast/seasoned driver. Stop cribbing, if your car is left out of this list!
chaudh2s is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 11:16   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Ecosport 1.0 should probably be on this list, for its high tech engine, punchy mid-range and the sweet 'n' addictive turbo whistle.
Totally agree!! Eco Boost is a hoot to drive! Took a test drive last week and I was very, very impressed with the machine! Was really hard to digest the fact that a baby sorts of engine was moving such big vehicle!!
Old 25th November 2013, 11:22   #54
BHPian

Great Thread! Love the choices! And own the First in the list! The T-Jet!

Was thinking, would none of the sub-20 lakh SUVs make the cut?

I myself have heard and felt great about the Yeti from a driver's car perspective in this range! Awsome handling, best in class comfort! The steering is a gem!
Old 25th November 2013, 11:38   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post

I am not surprised at the City I-Vtec's omission whether it is on sale or not. I won a T-Jet, a remapped Fiesta 1.6 and the City I-Vtec. You would have to lose the Fiat and Ford keys for me to pick the City for a Ghat or Highway run. Just a nice motor alone doesn't complete the driving experience. On the other hand, happy to see two cars I own on the list
Coming from an owner, this surely will be an unbiased view. I agree with your viewpoint that driving dynamics should complement the engine power to make it an enthusiast car. If not, not only the City but even the Cruze would have made it to the list. Let's hope the new City offers superior dynamics and better steering feel, apart from improved low-end grunt.

The Cruze has better acceleration than most cars under 20 lakhs, except perhaps the new Octavia 1.8 TSI. But the dynamics are not as good as European cars, as stated by some members, who own both.

By the way, this is a superb compilation, GTO.
vnabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 11:44   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Totally agree!! Eco Boost is a hoot to drive! Took a test drive last week and I was very, very impressed with the machine! Was really hard to digest the fact that a baby sorts of engine was moving such big vehicle!!
True, The Ecosport 1.0 should have been in the list. Else Narain Karthikeyan should be officially declared a non-enthusiast. Cos he picked the Ecosport over the Polo TSi, and the Polo found its way into the list.
Old 25th November 2013, 11:46   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting list there! 2013 has been a good year for Indian car industry. If the compilation was done last year, the list would have been much thinner.
We had some interesting launches this year (e.g.; Ecosport), but from an enthusiastís point of view the biggest plus this year was arrival of the Polo GT twins. Whether those models do well or not, it has actually opened up some possibilities for other manufacturers to think of (e.g.; Honda Jazz 1.5, Punto 1.4 T-Jet etc.). I believe the real hot hatch segment has got a lot of potential in our market.

And it looks like is petrol back in vogue again
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2013, 11:49   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Even I'm the one who wish the same way. On my test drive even I was quite surprised how could a 1000 CC engine can deliver 125 PS in reality? Leaving the steering feedback aside (not to the mark of usual European vehicles), the driving dynamics, handling, stability and full torque output as less as 1500 rpm is just amazing.

@GTO, Yet an amazing thread out there with all the list of car from any enthusiast's bucket list.
Old 25th November 2013, 11:50   #59
BHPian

The updated 1.6 sx4 with VVT deserves a mention here. No power issues on this car and drives and feels more than acceptably well for a petrol head.
Old 25th November 2013, 11:58   #60
Senior - BHPian

Just drove the Honda City over a 100 km trip last weekend. The power delivery of the i-Vtec is really good, steering is heavy and wont make you feel nervous. But any steering input at speeds above 70 kmph will result in body roll and understeer. You can literally feel the weight shifting to the outer wheels. And with those skinny section tyres, the City just has no grip to entertain the driver!

With the silly 175 section tyres, the City should not feature on any enthusiastic car comparos IMHO! Come on Honda, at least in the new City now!
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread