Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2013?
Hyundai Grand i10 115 8.44%
Chevrolet Sail (Sedan) 4 0.29%
Honda Amaze 250 18.36%
Chevrolet Enjoy 6 0.44%
Mahindra Verito Vibe 1 0.07%
Ford EcoSport 696 51.10%
Force Gurkha 5 0.37%
Mahindra e2o 35 2.57%
Isuzu D-Max 1 0.07%
Ashok Leyland Stile 8 0.59%
Nissan Terrano 21 1.54%
Skoda Octavia 152 11.16%
Honda CR-V 2 0.15%
BMW 1-Series 10 0.73%
Mercedes A-Class 32 2.35%
Isuzu MU-7 3 0.22%
Volvo V40 Cross Country 21 1.54%
Voters: 1362. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 6th December 2013, 05:39   #136
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2013. EDIT : Ford EcoSport it is!

Voted for the EcoSport. As GTO summed it up, it has made an impact like no other car has. True, the Grand i10 and the Amaze both come close but the EcoSport truly deserves the Car of the Year for its wide range of talents.

It might not be a proper SUV, but I believe the size is just perfect for the urban SUV and for the occasional weekend trips. The Ecoboost engine is a gem. Ford has done a great job !
Old 6th December 2013, 08:19   #137

I voted for the Mahindra e2o

Reason- I know I can't change the present, but I can change the future, we all can.

I know this poll's winner will be Ecosport but am hoping for a car like that which will be eco-friendly in the near future. If Mahindra can take a huge leap into nature friendly car, certainly others will follow.

It is time for a change, to preserve our mother Earth for our future generations. Hopefully I will be driving a monster truck and leaving no carbon tyreprints in 2030

Cheers,
Nik.
NikzBoz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 08:20   #138
BHPian

I seriously am drawn towards both the Merc. and the BMW!
These giant luxury car makers have started tapping the younger generation, and thats a welcome change. Only if they could be priced nearly 5 to 8 lac's cheaper, they would be a serious competition to many!
Let alone, the Brio interiors, with the excellent pricing, Honda might just make it to the top with its Amaze. Ford, though has done great with the Ecosport, somehow the car doesn't feel like a car or a suv (Please dont hate me now)
!!
P.S. I request the Car Guru's, to kindly review the BMW 1 series!!
Old 6th December 2013, 10:39   #139
BHPian

The Mercedes-Benz A class for sure. Putting the 'not neccessarily a milionaire' in the driver's seat of the tri-star. And it's more bang for the BMW 1 series buck~
Old 6th December 2013, 10:46   #140
BHPian

I could never imagine that the Octavia was running third in the poll I am sure that its gonna be Ecosport or i10 Grand though.
Old 6th December 2013, 11:37   #141
BHPian

Voted for EcoSport for giving us such a nice and refreshing compact SUV. If voting was for top 3 it would have been Amaze and i10 grand for second and third places respectively.
Old 6th December 2013, 11:48   #142
BHPian

For me the question would be, if I am in the market to buy a car today, from this list, what would I buy with my hard earned money?
The car has to be technically sound, safe, economical, good to drive and value for money. Brand image, 0-100 figures and pampering at the service center is not very important.

So it comes down to the Ford Ecosport.
Old 6th December 2013, 11:51   #143
BHPian

Ecosport victory in this poll was a forgone conclusion. What needed to be seen was who comes second. And I am disappointed that the Amaze leads both the Grand and Octavia. Look at that spartan dashboard. The coarse diesel engine. Weird looks that rivals rodents. And integrated headrests on a car that is 9L OTR? And it sells like hot cakes too. Seriously, we Indians are too obsessed with boots.

On the other hand, the i10 looks classy. It is much more handsome than the i20 and Verna. It's dashboard is of high quality and looks beautiful too. It's only "drawback" is that it does not have a boot. But, ain't it a good thing? Why put a boot like the Amaze which would automatically qualify it to be included in the list of weird and wacky mod jobs?
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 12:45   #144
BHPian

Voted for the Eco Sport. It is an increasingly relevant product for a country like ours where City and Rural roads rival some of the best off roading terrain. It wins my vote as it has brought to the masses (< 10L Price bracket) the luxury of owning such a vehicle with good looks and from a reliable manufacturer where the market choices in the segment were premier rio, Mahindra quanto etc.
Old 6th December 2013, 13:17   #145
BHPian

Coming from the FORD stable is my car and I certainly am inclined towards the ECOSPORT. However this choice is purely based on the popularity this car has gained on various fronts.
Old 6th December 2013, 13:55   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Ecosport victory in this poll was a forgone conclusion. What needed to be seen was who comes second. And I am disappointed that the Amaze leads both the Grand and Octavia. Look at that spartan dashboard. The coarse diesel engine. Weird looks that rivals rodents. And integrated headrests on a car that is 9L OTR? And it sells like hot cakes too. Seriously, we Indians are too obsessed with boots.

On the other hand, the i10 looks classy. It is much more handsome than the i20 and Verna. It's dashboard is of high quality and looks beautiful too. It's only "drawback" is that it does not have a boot. But, ain't it a good thing? Why put a boot like the Amaze which would automatically qualify it to be included in the list of weird and wacky mod jobs?
Although I am quite the Honda fan (love the looks of most of their cars), like you I have not been too impressed by the 'rodent look' (brings to mind a particularly toothy chipmunk). And that add on boot makes it worse. Lest I offend anyone, let me hasten to add that looks are subjective and these are just my impressions.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 14:32   #147
BHPian

Yes, there had been a recall right after launch. Yes, there's this ever-lasting incredibly long waiting periods arising out of production constraints. Yes, there was the price hike and feature removal and yes, all this was without offering customer protection.

But wait, yes, there's this amazing tech called SYNC and cutting-edge engineering called Ecoboost. And yes, there's this funky design that turns every head that neither Amaze nor Grand i10 can't. Nor will they appeal more to the SUV-inclining Indian audience. And, oh yes, it shows what a segment called Urban SUV has a potential in not just India, but in the global automotive scene. And hence yes, EcoSport it is!
Old 6th December 2013, 14:34   #148
BHPian

Ecosport running away with the lead and how!! That was expected, I never ever would have fathomed Octavia to have the lead over the common mans Grand i10. That comes truly as a surprise to me. Looks like Skoda is reaping benefits of the brand name 'Octavia', the one car that truly introduced Skoda in the Indian context.

Skoda, the only German player in the top three.
Your turn Japan.
Old 6th December 2013, 14:44   #149
Senior - BHPian

Voted for EcoSport. I am not very happy with it as they are not delivering it in numbers in the market, there is more than 6-8 months waiting and booking is closed. Still it is the best car launched in India this year. It has made impact in the market and now every other automobile manufacturer in India is thinking of launching a compact SUV. It has shown that you can launch a car in the market which is almost like a concept created with some jazzy looks. It will encourage others to launch such cars. The upcoming cars like Vezel from Honda is example of that. It made people to think, that's why it is CAR OF THE YEAR for me
Old 6th December 2013, 14:47   #150
BHPian

I am glad that Team-BHP invites a poll to judge the best car of the year. This shows that t-bhp is unbiased, stands by it's ethics and the 6 values on which it was founded.
It is not like other car magazines (ACI in particular) who in a bid to please big corporate houses, include a category (best big car, best small car, best middle car, best seat award, best indicator light award, etc , etc) so that nobody goes out of the award ceremony without a trophy.
Such is the level of my addiction to t-bhp that my ongoing 3 yr subscribtion to ACI, now seems a waste. This mag has this uncanny habit ( i am following it for the last more than 10 years) of giving the title of "our choice" based on 0-100kmph timing. The car with better 0-100 gets their "my choice" rating. It has become too predictable.
T-bhp on the other hands rates new cars on all possible parameters and leaves it to the customer to decide what are his/her priorities and take a decision accordingly.

Last edited by chaudh2s : 6th December 2013 at 14:49.
Closed Thread