Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2013?
Hyundai Grand i10 115 8.44%
Chevrolet Sail (Sedan) 4 0.29%
Honda Amaze 250 18.36%
Chevrolet Enjoy 6 0.44%
Mahindra Verito Vibe 1 0.07%
Ford EcoSport 696 51.10%
Force Gurkha 5 0.37%
Mahindra e2o 35 2.57%
Isuzu D-Max 1 0.07%
Ashok Leyland Stile 8 0.59%
Nissan Terrano 21 1.54%
Skoda Octavia 152 11.16%
Honda CR-V 2 0.15%
BMW 1-Series 10 0.73%
Mercedes A-Class 32 2.35%
Isuzu MU-7 3 0.22%
Volvo V40 Cross Country 21 1.54%
Voters: 1362. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 7th December 2013, 03:35   #166
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2013. EDIT : Ford EcoSport it is!

I personally liked three contenders here.

Mahindra e2o: It has all the technologies that could have been offered by M&M in an entry level electric car. Kudos to Mahindra for stepping in this segment. The points which stopped me from voting towards it are low range of kms that can be driven on one charge, not so practical for a family household (2 door) and ultimately the price (though the manufacture is helpless)

Mercedes A-Class: Luxury and the brand image at low cost. But then, the price can be reduced as it is still not a VFM product.

Ford Ecosport: And finally comes my choice. Ecosport ticks majority of the boxes for a wide range of users and so deserves to be the COTY tag.
dZired is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 08:05   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

I will be very glad if Mahindra Verito Vibe doesn't end up with even a single vote. I don't think we have had that scenario before.

Half hearted measures such as these shouldn't be entertained at all. I think the Vibe had nothing other than a great commercial to speak of. I am actually sad that a great marketing idea and a brilliant commercial got wasted on such a car.

Here is the commercial for those of who haven't seen it yet.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 08:18   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
But what interests me are the predictions of Mr Nostradamus, A.K.A. GTO. His predictions since 2009 for the Team-BHP COTY award have been spot on.
You can take it in the other way also; that GTO’s predictions are aligned to the majority of members’ votes

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas
Another observation: The SUVs seem to be running away with the COTY awards since the last three years. Are these SUVs really such game changers that they are influencing the vox populi of India? I tend to think so.
Right observation. If you look at our month-on-month sales charts, around 75% of sales in C2 segment and above happen in the SUV/Crossover category. Game changer or not, our affinity to this class of vehicle is well-known. And the winners mentioned in the past years have indeed been the standout product in respective years.
Old 7th December 2013, 09:19   #169
Team-BHP Support

I voted for the Amaze because it has marked Honda’s late entry into the diesel segment in the Indian car market after a LONG time and it has already proven its worth if the bland interiors can be forgiven. Honda has to be appreciated for building an engine and fine tuning it specifically for the Indian markets - very few manufacturers are committed to such levels. But this is just a humble start for Honda. I am sure the better is yet to come.

The Ecosport OTOH will make a clean sweep here no doubt, with the performance, equipment and safety it packs for a sub-10L car which no other car has offered so far; with specific reference to the Ecoboost Titanium variant here. The Duster was ruling the mini-SUV segment until the Ecosport arrived and ironically, the Dusters are now catching dust in the dealerships’ stockyards! The marginally expensive Terrano with a better design overall launched much later, probably sealed the fate for the Duster. Only the upcoming Dacia’s facelift might help Renault; only time will tell.

The mini-SUV has also managed to rake in a good number of orders with delays in delivery and consequently, Ford not accepting any further orders for a long time until their current backlogs are cleared. Perhaps, Ford may not have foreseen such a huge success for their new launch. They need to up their ante now, tighten up the delivery schedules and improve the customer support at the dealerships. When I wanted to test drive the Ecosport, the sales person at the Ford’s only showroom here turned a deaf ear suggesting that the car has a lengthy delivery delay and that I wouldn’t get the car in another 6-7 months. Thus, he suggested that a test drive is pointless! They didn’t have the Ecoboost Titanium variant for the test drive either. Experiences such as these will not only dissuade probable buyers, they will spread the word to their friends and relatives as well. In the end, Ford loses orders because of their own dealerships.

Here’re a few more from my side:

Most fun-to-drive Car: Polo GT TSI

Best Facelift of the Year: Skoda Octavia

Most Anticipated Car: 2014 Honda City

COTY: Ecosport Ecoboost
Old 7th December 2013, 09:32   #170
Team-BHP Support

Voted Grand i10. But this year it wasn't easy.

I have a very simple set of criteria for voting COTY. I will only vote for a car that I know I will vote for with my wallet and preferably it has to be a game-changer in some way.

2010 was easy: I bought the Vento and voted for it.
2011 & '12: Voted XUV5oo and Duster, both IMO segment-creators.

This year, my shortlist was: EcoSport, Amaze, Octavia and the Grand i10.

Eliminated Amaze and EcoSport because they didn't really create any new segment. Cashing in on the sub-4m compact sedan and mini-SUV trend respectively they are following in the footsteps of the Dzire and Duster before them. Amaze is a great step ahead for Honda I agree and EcoSport has safety features that cars two segments higher do not boast. But in the end, I wouldn't vote for either with my wallet. Ford's utter mismanagement of the supply side including the much-hyped and badly-delayed launch didn't endear them to me much either.

So it came down to the Octy and the Grand i10. Interestingly both are cars I would vote with my wallet for: Octy as a potential replacement for the Vento and Grand i10 for my Swift. But the Octy came with clear flaws: overpriced for one, top variants not offered in MT, DSG box reliability a big question mark, shortchanging the TDI vis-a-vis suspension etc. Whereas the Grand i10 ticked all the right boxes as a small second car/ urban cruiser- efficient diesel engine, fully loaded, Hyundai service dependability, nice enough looker, decently priced. While I *may* eventually buy the Octy once the initial glitches have been worked out and the long-term reliability issue put to rest, I really have no compunction (except perhaps $$ ) going and buying the Grand i10 right away. So that's what I voted for!
noopster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 10:05   #171
BHPian

Ford EcoSport, undoubtedly rules the roost, as far as Team BHP Car of The Year is concerned. However, the sales charts are yet to reflect the same enthusiasm, reasons best known to everyone.
Old 7th December 2013, 10:59   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboverbo View Post
The iDTEC of Amaze has trumped the EcoBoost of Ecosport. I am personally excited about turbocharged petrol engines, but the Ecosport is just an overpriced hatchback with high ground clearance. The Amaze on the other hand has successfully taken the competition head on. It has stirred the mass market, and not just the petrolhead fora.
Ecosport is a glorified hatchback, no doubt, but nobody was asking for another 20L SUV, right? The market was asking for a small pseudo-SUV, and Ford gave us just that.

Before the Amaze, there had been other compact sedans, that looked like rodents. The only difference here was that it was Honda's first rodent. So, all those for whom the city was high-hanging, jumped at the opportunity to drive an "H" badge. Had it been any other brand, everybody would have dismissed it as too expensive.

Amaze is the only car from the Honda stable that made it lose my respect.
Old 7th December 2013, 12:46   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
The market was asking for a small pseudo-SUV, and Ford gave us just that.
The market is inclined towards CS, that's why Dzire,Amaze are runaway success. Hyundai/Ford are now readying their CS too. There is a different thread for this discussion.
Old 7th December 2013, 14:19   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfire2892 View Post
The market is inclined towards CS, that's why Dzire,Amaze are runaway success. Hyundai/Ford are now readying their CS too. There is a different thread for this discussion.
The Amaze didn't bring anything to the market that the Dzire didn't have. In any aspect Dzire is the better car. What goes in the Amaze's favour is its H badge. So, Amaze is not a game changer in its segment, while the Ecosport is.

Last edited by blacksport : 7th December 2013 at 14:20.
Old 7th December 2013, 14:54   #175
BHPian

Quote:
The Amaze didn't bring anything to the market that the Dzire didn't have. In any aspect Dzire is the better car. What goes in the Amaze's favour is its H badge. So, Amaze is not a game changer in its segment, while the Ecosport is.
I quite agree with you that "The Amaze didn't bring anything to the market that the Dzire didn't have", but I believe that the Amaze has offered a much better product than the Dzire. Better boot and more spacious cabin, two crucial factors to a large number of Indian families, myself included.

True, the Amaze may not be a game changer in its segment, but it offered something more valuable to the customer: A "worthy alternative" to the Dzire. The Tata Indigo CS was never considered an alternative to the Dzire and people in need of a CS had no choice but to opt for the Dzire.

The Amaze changed all that. A fantastic product from Honda has appealed to the customer as much, or even more, than the Dzire. Remember, Honda has only 15% of the number of Maruti sales outlets in India and yet the Amaze sales have been fantastic in places where the Amaze IS sold. Imagine for a moment if Honda had 50-70% of the number of sales outlets of Maruti. The Amaze could well have overtaken the sales of the Dzire.

So, from the customer's point of view, a worthy alternative (Amaze) to a competent product (Dzire) is always welcome, as it opens up more choices to the customer. Then, the offers and discounts starting pouring in for the customer.
Old 7th December 2013, 15:23   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
I quite agree with you that "The Amaze didn't bring anything to the market that the Dzire didn't have", but I believe that the Amaze has offered a much better product than the Dzire. Better boot and more spacious cabin, two crucial factors to a large number of Indian families, myself included. True, the Amaze may not be a game changer in its segment, but it offered something more valuable to the customer: A "worthy alternative" to the Dzire. The Tata Indigo CS was never considered an alternative to the Dzire and people in need of a CS had no choice but to opt for the Dzire. The Amaze changed all that. A fantastic product from Honda has appealed to the customer as much, or even more, than the Dzire. Remember, Honda has only 15% of the number of Maruti sales outlets in India and yet the Amaze sales have been fantastic in places where the Amaze IS sold. Imagine for a moment if Honda had 50-70% of the number of sales outlets of Maruti. The Amaze could well have overtaken the sales of the Dzire. So, from the customer's point of view, a worthy alternative (Amaze) to a competent product (Dzire) is always welcome, as it opens up more choices to the customer. Then, the offers and discounts starting pouring in for the customer.
Actually, if you look beyond the 4m constraint, you have better cars than the Amaze in the same price range. The Ford classic, Chevrolet sail, etc. but, as I said earlier, Amaze has the H badge advantage. While the badge is an important factor while selecting a car to buy, when it comes to COTY, I'd rather ignore the badge. Perhaps we can crown Honda the badge of the year.

If i had the money and parking space to buy multiple cars, i'd buy the i10 grand for my daily commutes, the octavia for my long trips and the Amaze for my weekend grocery shopping. But, since we don't have that luxury, we buy ONE car which can handle all the above three runs reasonably. And that is where the Ecosport fits the bill as THE family car, perfectly.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 16:34   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But, since we don't have that luxury, we buy ONE car which can handle all the above three runs reasonably. And that is where the Ecosport fits the bill as THE family car, perfectly.
You are absolutely spot on. Anyone can take a loan and buy any or multiple cars they want.
However things like parking space, daily driver use-ability, carbon footprint reduction, reducing conspicuous consumption, lack of real need for more than one vehicle and a number of other considerations are now coming to the forefront, with people becoming more aware and moving beyond mere consumption just for the sake of it.

My wife and I are in a similar situation. We require just one highly competent, compact, safe, comfy little all-rounder vehicle for all our needs; the office commute, the grocery run, the dogs' vet visits, the out-station hills or beaches road-trip, the casual evening out or for the weekly round of golf.

When that vehicle goes for it's servicing we just simply take public transport. The two of us manage perfectly well with one vehicle. We used to have two vehicles but out of a genuine desire to 'cut down' the unnecessary trimmings we sold one of them some years back and then a couple of years later, downsized the second one as well to a more compact, highly functional though more luxurious one.

Frankly, had the EcoSport been available at that time, I would have quite happily plumped for the top of the line EcoBoost version. Nothing quite like that lovely new technology petrol engine now, is there? The only drawback for me was the lack of AWD which for me, is more of a want than a need!

A Hearty Thumbs Up to the EcoSport overall!
Old 7th December 2013, 16:55   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Half hearted measures such as these shouldn't be entertained at all. I think the Vibe had nothing other than a great commercial to speak of. I am actually sad that a great marketing idea and a brilliant commercial got wasted on such a car.
It is a "neither here nor there" product. Everyone is confused whether to call it a CS or a hatchback and that certainly impacts the sales! I'll never buy a car that I'm not sure if I should call a hatch or a sedan.
Old 7th December 2013, 17:20   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Ecosport is a glorified hatchback, no doubt, but nobody was asking for another 20L SUV, right? The market was asking for a small pseudo-SUV, and Ford gave us just that...
The same way, there is a market for another compact car and Honda delivered it at a competitive price too. While Ford understood where they can crack the market, Honda found out theirs too.

Quote:
...Before the Amaze, there had been other compact sedans, that looked like rodents. The only difference here was that it was Honda's first rodent. So, all those for whom the city was high-hanging, jumped at the opportunity to drive an "H" badge. Had it been any other brand, everybody would have dismissed it as too expensive...
Honda got away with the badge value which they earned over years. Some brands which are truly premium still do NOT have that leisure.

Quote:
... Amaze is the only car from the Honda stable that made it lose my respect...
To each his own. But the market sentiments seem to be different; so does team-bhp voting for the COTY - Amaze has been voted the most after Ecosport trumping even premium cars launched this year. So a lot of people do have respect for the brand & the product.

Quote:
Same way the Amaze didn't bring anything new to the compact sedan market, Ford Ecosport also did NOT bring anything new to the market which Quanto had created and Duster managed to crack.

Quote:
....If i had the money and parking space to buy multiple cars, i'd buy the i10 grand for my daily commutes, the octavia for my long trips and the Amaze for my weekend grocery shopping. But, since we don't have that luxury, we buy ONE car which can handle all the above three runs reasonably. And that is where the Ecosport fits the bill as THE family car, perfectly.
While you found Ecosport to be the perfect machine for you, others might find an Amaze to be the perfect fit or even a Verito Vibe! You can't go around and ridicule those decisions or try to prove the machine you own is the BEST or force your opinion on others - Please!

If you could keep your fan boyism away and allow others to choose the car which they believe is the COTY, it would be nice. Please note that none of the voters owe you an answer as to why they have chosen a particular car and they may NOT expect you to point out / argue why your choice is superior & theirs, inferior.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th December 2013 at 17:36.
swiftnfurious is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 19:45   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
You can't go around and ridicule those decisions or try to prove the machine you own is the BEST or force your opinion on others - Please! If you could keep your fan boyism away and allow others to choose the car which they believe is the COTY, it would be nice. Please note that none of the voters owe you an answer as to why they have chosen a particular car and they may NOT expect you to point out / argue why your choice is superior & theirs, inferior.
Sir, I have my own views and I can air it. If mods feel it inappropriate, the can delete it. If you have any points against my view, you can air it and leave it at that. Calling somebody a fanboy when you run out of words is cowardly. Sometime ago in some other forum somebody called me a Honda fanboy for me defending Honda's right to price their cars high. Enough said!
Closed Thread