Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2013?
Hyundai Grand i10 115 8.44%
Chevrolet Sail (Sedan) 4 0.29%
Honda Amaze 250 18.36%
Chevrolet Enjoy 6 0.44%
Mahindra Verito Vibe 1 0.07%
Ford EcoSport 696 51.10%
Force Gurkha 5 0.37%
Mahindra e2o 35 2.57%
Isuzu D-Max 1 0.07%
Ashok Leyland Stile 8 0.59%
Nissan Terrano 21 1.54%
Skoda Octavia 152 11.16%
Honda CR-V 2 0.15%
BMW 1-Series 10 0.73%
Mercedes A-Class 32 2.35%
Isuzu MU-7 3 0.22%
Volvo V40 Cross Country 21 1.54%
Voters: 1362. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 7th December 2013, 21:03   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2013. EDIT : Ford EcoSport it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Sir, I have my own views and I can air it. If mods feel it inappropriate, the can delete it. If you have any points against my view, you can air it and leave it at that. Calling somebody a fanboy when you run out of words is cowardly. Sometime ago in some other forum somebody called me a Honda fanboy for me defending Honda's right to price their cars high. Enough said!
You need to air you view in the right thread Sir. This is the COTY thread where people vote their favorite product. You need NOT worry about the reasons why someone else has voted for a product which you do NOT like and argue with them.

You have done the voting, given your justifications and you are done! And please let others do the same. This is NOT a thread to pick on the good & bad of some of the products.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 21:30   #182
BHPian

Lightbulb re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2013. EDIT : Ford EcoSport it is!

I voted for the Ford Ecosport. I understand that many feel it didn't do anything extraordinary like create a new segment, but whatever it has done makes it a great car.
Firstly, the car comes with lots of variants (10 to be exact!!) making it relevant to a large pool of people. Right from the no-frills option of the base Ambiente petrol version to the exhilarating driver-centric 1.0L EcoBoost engine (which I do feel is overpriced by about 50k) .
Secondly, the car comes loaded with features, a Hyundai specialty till now.

The battle next year between this car and Maruti's XA Alpha will be the one to watch out for.
Old 7th December 2013, 21:50   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

blacksport -

You sure have an opinion and can air it. It is an open forum after all and we all are here because we all love cars, no?

I too might prefer some cars over others, but few lines of yours describing the Amaze could have been avoided/toned down. Please re-read it again, I am sure you will agree :-)
Quote:
The coarse diesel engine. Weird looks that rivals rodents. And integrated headrests on a car that is 9L OTR? And it sells like hot cakes too. Seriously, we Indians are too obsessed with boots.
Love Cars, Live Cars
Old 7th December 2013, 22:11   #184
BHPian

I voted for the Honda Amaze. This is a landmark vehicle / engine for Honda. The car selling in large numbers speaks of the quality provided by Honda. Honda is finally turning things around for the better.
Old 7th December 2013, 22:24   #185
BHPian

No offence to anyone, but I feel that majority of the votes were given considering PRICE as a factor(cars within the rage of middle class people's budget get more attention from the voters) which I feel shouldn't be the most important consideration. Yes, price can be the most important factor when want to purchase a ride, but when choosing car of the year, more importance should be given to the actual car rather than how much is costs or how the ASS for that particular brand is.

Just my 2 cents !
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 22:53   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
No offence to anyone, but I feel that majority of the votes were given considering PRICE as a factor(cars within the rage of middle class people's budget get more attention from the voters) which I feel shouldn't be the most important consideration. Yes, price can be the most important factor when want to purchase a ride, but when choosing car of the year, more importance should be given to the actual car rather than how much is costs or how the ASS for that particular brand is.

Just my 2 cents !
Agreed.

But coty award goes to a car as an overall package, which includes cost (may not be vfm), affordability,reliability and ass. If the car alone needs to be assessed, then we need something like a "best car of 2013" award.
amolbh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 23:02   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not really true. We've a relatively expensive Skoda Octavia running third currently in the voting. So the actual car does get the required attention rather than the cost or service reputation.
IMO, the cars running in front have enough merits to justify their positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Best Facelift of the Year: Skoda Octavia
A small correction there. The Octavia is indeed a new launch and not a facelift (hence qualified for this poll)
vb-san is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2013, 23:18   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
blacksport - You sure have an opinion and can air it. It is an open forum after all and we all are here because we all love cars, no? I too might prefer some cars over others, but few lines of yours describing the Amaze could have been avoided/toned down. Please re-read it again, I am sure you will agree :-) Love Cars, Live Cars
The word "rodent", yes, was a harsh opinion. Bad engine NVH has been reported in reviews. And it is a fact that this is the most expensive car to come with integrated headrests. The amaze is overpriced. Maruti charges 65k for the boot-job (swift vs dzire), while Honda charges a whopping 1.4 L for the same job (brio vs amaze).
Old 7th December 2013, 23:39   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
And it is a fact that this is the most expensive car to come with integrated headrests. The amaze is overpriced. Maruti charges 65k for the boot-job (swift vs dzire), while Honda charges a whopping 1.4 L for the same job (brio vs amaze).
Because in case of the Amaze it's more than just a "boot job" as the wheelbase is extended apart from some sheet metal changes from the Brio.
Also,fixating upon one particular feature of a car and deriding it for that reason is not justified.Every car has some fault or the other but we should look at the overall package of the car.

Secondly,many luxury cars come with integrated front headrests
Marauder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2013, 03:48   #190
Senior - BHPian

Exactly the first impression one may get !!! Read on...
Quote:
No offence to anyone, but I feel that majority of the votes were given considering PRICE as a factor
That's exactly my thoughts.
The typical Indian customer looks for overall package and in which "Value, not Price" is the most driving force. Proof of the same is XUV5OO which was definitely not for the masses but still won the award. If Duster was a contender along with EcoSport, I am sure it wouldn't have got more than 10% of votes. Similarly if XUV5OO/Duster/EcoSport were part of a single poll, then we can definitely say that EcoSport would have won again because of its low price.

I also personally feel that however good the car may be but a car that generates good 'excitement' atleast for the time being, wins and should win the COTY award.

Also interesting to note the future of COTY winners. Nano - Flop, XUV5OO - zero waiting period, Duster - discounts and offers and low waiting period. It proves that COTY need not be perfect, it has to generate the X-factor during that launch, that's it.
As our market is relatively new, the novelty factor can be seen day after day, be it Nano, XUV5OO, Ertiga, Duster or EcoSport, lets see till how many years we get new segments opening up. M&M winning COTY for one car (XUV5OO) and not getting single vote (Verito Vibe) proves that 'excitement' theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amolbh View Post
Agreed.
But coty award goes to a car as an overall package, which includes cost (may not be vfm), affordability,reliability and ass. If the car alone needs to be assessed, then we need something like a "best car of 2013" award.
P.S. - I voted for EcoSport.

Last edited by carwatcher : 8th December 2013 at 03:49.
Old 8th December 2013, 07:49   #191
BHPian

Impact car. Value for money. Loaded with features. Nice to look. Ford got it right this time. Just voted the Ecosport.
Old 8th December 2013, 09:51   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Not really true. We've a relatively expensive Skoda Octavia running third currently in the voting. So the actual car does get the required attention rather than the cost or service reputation.
IMO, the cars running in front have enough merits to justify their positions.

A small correction there. The Octavia is indeed a new launch and not a facelift (hence qualified for this poll)
Yes, I agree that some people do consider the actual car, but how many of us consider all the cars in the list before voting? most of us lookout for the car which we like and try to justify our choice!

Quick question, does Octavia deserve to be in third? (currently only with 100+ votes) VS Ecosport (500+ votes, 5 times more votes !). And I am not sure how many people even checked out other good cars in the list like

A-class
  • Amazing looks
  • Good quality interior
  • Good option for people who wish to own premium brand and still have the advantages of having a small car!

Volvo V40
  • Good value for a CBU
  • No nonsense interior
  • One of the best looking rear end design(Personal opinion)
  • Reliability
  • And of course, best in-class safety

Finally one of the most innovative product from a Indian company

e2o
  • Easy to drive
  • Loaded with useful features
  • Gives a small glimpse into the future of automobiles

P.S: Volvo V40 got my vote
giri1.8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2013, 12:02   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I agree that some people do consider the actual car, but how many of us consider all the cars in the list before voting? most of us lookout for the car which we like and try to justify our choice!
Hmm. Food for thought indeed. Let me place an additional bit of top spin lob on this. Most of us would tend to gravitate towards and more probably vote (albeit unconsciously or sub-consciously) for a vehicle that is relatively within our 'reach'.

The V40, like you said is a brilliant vehicle but given its pricing in India it is kind of out of reach for the majority -after all good taste and deep pockets do not necessarily go hand-in-hand!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2013, 13:14   #194
BHPian

I voted for Ford Ecosport. The kind of excitement it managed to generate was something we don't see often. Great looks,loaded with features, top notch safety equipments tilted my voted in its favor. Above all, Ecosport has breathed a new lease of life for ford.

Grand i10 was a close second for me. I suppose it was expected to be a replacement for i10 but has ended up creating a room for itself. Overall a very good package, but in my opinion the impact of Grand i10 on Hyundai is not as great as compared to that of Ecosport on Ford. Hence voted for Ecosport.

Last edited by champ27 : 8th December 2013 at 13:15.
Old 8th December 2013, 16:10   #195
BHPian

Voted for EcoSport.

It has the presence of an SUV like most of us Indians want. It has the dimensions of a hatch, so that means it's easy to coast around in traffic as well. Almost all of the equipment which a gadget geek would want in his car are present on it from the get-go. It has all the safety equipment you'd want in a car without burning a hole in your pocket. Then, you've 3 engines to choose from. Including the very brilliant and internationally acclaimed Ecoboost motor. Plus you can have an Auto' tranny as well. It also handles good by SUV standards, doesn't it?

When you put all that in a package and put a price-tag of sub-10 lacs on it, it sure is going to be hit. Which it already is, actually! In short, it's all things to all men.

The only thing that puts me off about the Ecosport is Ford and the eternity it takes to get that car.
Closed Thread