Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2013?
Hyundai Grand i10 115 8.44%
Chevrolet Sail (Sedan) 4 0.29%
Honda Amaze 250 18.36%
Chevrolet Enjoy 6 0.44%
Mahindra Verito Vibe 1 0.07%
Ford EcoSport 696 51.10%
Force Gurkha 5 0.37%
Mahindra e2o 35 2.57%
Isuzu D-Max 1 0.07%
Ashok Leyland Stile 8 0.59%
Nissan Terrano 21 1.54%
Skoda Octavia 152 11.16%
Honda CR-V 2 0.15%
BMW 1-Series 10 0.73%
Mercedes A-Class 32 2.35%
Isuzu MU-7 3 0.22%
Volvo V40 Cross Country 21 1.54%
Voters: 1362. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 8th December 2013, 16:40   #196
BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2013. EDIT : Ford EcoSport it is!

Voted Ford EcoSport!

Booking it has been the best decision of my life and owning it the best experience!
Package as a whole surprised me, ticked and is still ticking all my boxes
Need to say more?

Amaze and Grand i10 holds the next two places in that order.

(Had I not owned the EcoSport ,my choices would still be in that order!)
Old 8th December 2013, 18:25   #197
BHPian

I have voted for the Honda Amaze. 99 PS of power and 200 Nm of torque is the best till date for an entry level sedan. Add to that owners have been claiming 19+ FE in the city, which is 1-1.5 kmpl more than the other cars in the same segment. Also the best looker IMO in the CS segment.
Old 8th December 2013, 18:30   #198
Team-BHP Support

The Car-Of-The-Year title is something that must be reserved for a car that brings something new to the table. A fresh offing that makes other cars look pedestrian. For me, there were 5 cars that stood out in that list. The Hyundai Grand i10, the Ford EcoSport, the Skoda Octavia, the Mahindra Reva e2o and of course, the Mercedes Benz A-Class.

The Grand i10 is a great car. Packed with features, powered by good engines and it looks pretty nice. But I find that it brings nothing new to the table. It does pretty much the same thing the other Hyundai cars do. If only Hyundai took this opportunity to give us a diesel AT Grand i10.. Sigh! So I will not hesitate to strike it off the list.

The Skoda Octavia again is a great car. I personally love the way it looks and I like the fact that Skoda hasn't skimped much in so far as equipment is concerned. However, the huge question mark of reliability that looms over the Octavia pushes it to the back of my list. Besides, previous-gen Octy (Laura) owners needn't fret because the new car isn't quite as revolutionary as I'd initially hoped.

The A-Class, hmmm.. well! It's a classic case of heart wanting what it wants. I'd love to give it the title just for the way it look! Dayum, it's a stunning little number! But the fact that Mercedes has compromised with regard to the car's petrol and diesel powertrains invariably leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Also, I'm not sure if a 30 lakh hatch can be given the COTY tag, not in 2013-2014 at least.

The Mahindra e2o is certainly worthy of the tag. It's a brilliant little car this. With a range of 80-100 km, seating for 4 (just about), small proportions and a compact design (that prevents you from taking that Uey and hoping that a parking slot opens up), ridiculously low running costs, and features/ goodies to keep everyone interested, it scores high in my book. Dent / scratch resistant ABS body panels, a touch screen infotainment system that does everything for you, short of brewing you a cuppa just make the package that much better. And I personally think it's incredible value, especially when you park it next to the old Reva. The quality has improved leaps and bounds, there is an actual rear bench this time, you get a nice albeit slightly laggy touch screen thingy, and you no longer have to manually slide the window forwards or backwards! All this at just 2.5 lakhs more makes it sound like an awesome package! The Government's proposed concession on electric vehicles next year is bound to make the deal even sweeter! In short, the e2o brings a helluva lot of new things to the table. Unfortunately, it does have its drawbacks. A 100 km range is just too short, the infotainment system is already starting to show its age and the steep 7.6 lakh price-tag will surely push first-time car-buyers away.

And that leaves us with the EcoSport.

Everything that needs to be said about this car has been said by all the members and friends on Team-BHP. It's the perfect package and it is incredible value. Seating for 4, a frugal diesel engine, a technologically advanced petrol engine (Engine of the Year eet ees ), ground clearance and water wading capability to tackle the worst that our country can throw at it. And that's just the beginning! A brilliant but unheard of DCT 'box, packed to the gills with equipment, good ride, handling and dynamics, solid build quality, etc all at a mouth watering price-tag! The fact that it looks a bit like a blow-fish and the below-par dealership experience do dampen things slightly. But it does deserve the COTY tag and as far as I'm concerned, it is my Car-Of-The-Year, '13.
suhaas307 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th December 2013, 18:40   #199
BHPian

Voted for the Skoda Octavia. Why? Awesome specs, Superior exterior look and high safety. No wonder it swept me away. However, question still stands on Skoda's servicing standards. But that was not part of the poll question - It was about the car only!
Old 8th December 2013, 19:20   #200

Let me list out the cars that were launched this year which impressed me a lot,
1. Chevrolet Sail Sedan - VFM pricing, spacious, fuel efficient, looks good etc.
2. Hyundai Grand i10 - Quality interiors, Lots of features, Frugal diesel engine, Looks better than the previous gen i10, etc.
3. Ecosport - Killer looks, Commanding view of the road, Lots of features, Can take any roads in our country without the fear of scraping the under body, Frugal diesel engine etc.,
4. Mahindra e2o - Will become the future of mobility, Looks good too, Very low running costs, Smart & Cool features etc.,
5. Honda Amaze: Hmm, Actually, I was surprised at the way it looks though under 4 meters in length - Brilliant packaging of the interiors as well as the exteriors. Spacious cabin and boot, good engine with fantastic driveability, Excellent fuel efficiency, Last but not least - VFM pricing. My vote goes to Honda Amaze
Old 8th December 2013, 22:01   #201
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Ford Ecosport. A value for money, practical vehicle for city and occasional highway usage. The host of features, looks, ecosport petrol and frugal diesel options, looks, ergonomics, a decent optimal usage of space (no honda), and ground clearance makes it a clear winner.

My second option would be Honda Amaze. Brilliant usage of space and fuel efficiency with decent performance.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 8th December 2013 at 22:02.
Old 9th December 2013, 00:14   #202
BHPian

Im for the EcoSport too. The bold exterior styling, and the futuristic alien look of the interiors make the other mini SUVs pale in comparison. Definitely deserves the COTY tag
Old 9th December 2013, 09:57   #203
BHPian

I have vote for Octavia just because of its looks and specs. My next choices would have been EcoSport & Terrano. But as Terrano is same as Duster would not have voted for it .

Kiran
Old 9th December 2013, 11:22   #204
BHPian

EcoSport it is.

My personal choice goes to the legend Octavia! Since it has to be the COTY, Octavia doesn't check the all boxes. Specially going by the way Skoda is improving (is it?) their A.S.S, spare availability, exorbitant cost for almost anything etc. it's long way for Skoda to offer a nice comprehensive car owing experience (well, car driving experience is another ball game).

I could perceive the EcoSport as "Made for All" car. If you are low on budget and seeing a good spacious (keep low budget tag in mind) car, you could think of EcoSport. If you are not having any budget limitation, just looking for some sporty looking reliable car that need to be extensively driven in city traffic but could be taken out for a joy ride, EcoSport it is. You are assured to enjoy a drivers' car backed with Ford's reliable service network for many miles at pretty reasonable cost.
Old 9th December 2013, 11:30   #205
BHPian

I have voted for EcoSport, as the Ford has given a new segment in the car industry. Which is perfect for Indian road condition, high ground clearance, lot of engine options, comparable ride and handling, stunning looks what else we want?
Though the size is small and interior is cramped, even front seats are not big enough to hold a big person like me. It is a good overall package for urban driving.
Old 9th December 2013, 11:33   #206
Senior - BHPian

Voted for EcoSport. A perfect city and highway tool which can do occasional rough stuff better than jacked up hatchbacks. The fact that its well priced, looks good and loaded to gills with equipment, seals it in its favor.
Old 9th December 2013, 11:45   #207
BHPian

Voted Skoda Octavia for features, specs and looks. The flip side is Skoda service and costs.
Old 9th December 2013, 11:50   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren959 View Post
I have voted for EcoSport, as the Ford has given a new segment in the car industry.
How is it a new segment? Duster already exists in India isint it? I am perplexed why many people here are claiming Ecosport to have created a new segment! Which segment is that?
joslicx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2013, 11:57   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post

How is it a new segment? Duster already exists in India isint it? I am perplexed why many people here are claiming Ecosport to have created a new segment! Which segment is that?
+1. Its only that it is priced even lower compared to the duster and hence you can say its a new segment. Also space wise it lags behind duster and terrano. But yes I do agree that the segment had already been created By duster last year and the Ecosport has only exploited and taken it one step further.

Also at one level I feel we should have these car of the year award divided price wise. Otherwise it is mundane to include cars above 15l and downright ridiculous to include cars above 20 lacs since they will always lose out regardless of what they bring to the table. In this particular list I feel sorry for Mercedes A class and v40, both very capable and new segment creating cars but losing out because of there price. So may be can have segments like upto 10 lacs, 10 - 20 lacs and so on.

Last edited by drmohitg : 9th December 2013 at 12:00.
Old 9th December 2013, 12:19   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Depends on the definition of the word segment. Both Duster and Ecosport fall into the same class, compact SUV. But belong to different price segments.

Duster price range: 8-12
Ecosport price range: 6-9

There is little overlap.
Closed Thread