Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2013?
Hyundai Grand i10 115 8.44%
Chevrolet Sail (Sedan) 4 0.29%
Honda Amaze 250 18.36%
Chevrolet Enjoy 6 0.44%
Mahindra Verito Vibe 1 0.07%
Ford EcoSport 696 51.10%
Force Gurkha 5 0.37%
Mahindra e2o 35 2.57%
Isuzu D-Max 1 0.07%
Ashok Leyland Stile 8 0.59%
Nissan Terrano 21 1.54%
Skoda Octavia 152 11.16%
Honda CR-V 2 0.15%
BMW 1-Series 10 0.73%
Mercedes A-Class 32 2.35%
Isuzu MU-7 3 0.22%
Volvo V40 Cross Country 21 1.54%
Voters: 1362. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11th December 2013, 12:57   #226
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2013. EDIT : Ford EcoSport it is!

Voted for the Grand i10 because its a no nonsense city runner. really like the way it looks, feels and responds to the slightest touch. I am not amazed with the amaze and the Ecosport is one ugly duckling!
Old 11th December 2013, 13:54   #227
BHPian

I had voted for Ecosport out of my personal shortlist of 3 cars. I mainly focused on the volume runners for the mass market and stuck to cars <10 lacs since they impact a larger population.
  • Hyundai i10 Grand - Definitely a strong contender in its space for being an all round hatchback. It has decent space, boot, engine options, quality and pricing that makes it good vfm. However considering the regular i10 and i20 already in hyundai's portfolio, this car is more of an evolution product and not revolution in my opinion
  • Honda Amaze - Again another one of these evolution products where Honda had ample market data to look at and learn from. They definitely bettered competition (read Dzire) in space aspects but certainly fell short in interior quality in my opinion
  • Ford Ecosport - Finally my pick. This in my opinion is the real out of the box thinking product. I am sure people in ford would have laughed at the person who came up with the idea of a sub 4m SUV. But rest is history. Good product, well packaged. decent space, lots of features, engine options. Ignoring Ford sales screw ups, definitely the car of the year
Old 11th December 2013, 14:54   #228
BHPian

Why I wouldn't vote for either the Ecosport or the Amaze is that both are confused cars. Ecosport tries to kill too many birds with the same stone but fails to excel in any of them. The only thing that it succeeds in is in the looks department. It does not have the suspension of an SUV nor it is small enough for a city car. Ford dealers are not helping the Ecosport cause either. And I had some bad experience myself but that is a story for later.

Amaze is a humbug if you know what I mean (http://board.jokeroo.com/funny-jokes...anecdotal.html). It looks like a bad mod-shop job. It is a dishonest car. Sad thing is Honda tries to pass it off as a sedan so that gullible image-wannabes would fall for it. People buy them and feel that they have arrived in life now that they have a H logo in their garage. Being an ardent Honda fan I am deeply troubled that Honda dared to put the H logo on it.

That leaves me with the i10 Grand and the Octavia. It is tough to compare the two because one is a mass-market model while the other is a luxury car. The Octavia is the car that is a worthy upgrade for me save for the A.S.S horror tales.

But the Grand looks like the more honest car here. Unlike the Ecosport it does not pretend to be anything it is not. Unlike the Amaze it does not try to fool anybody. And unlike the Octavia it is a car that is accessible to almost anybody. I could buy one just for the way it looks.

So there goes my vote.

Last edited by civic-sense : 11th December 2013 at 14:55.
civic-sense is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 11th December 2013, 15:44   #229
BHPian

I voted for the Amaze for the following reasons:

VFM
Best space utilisation
Economy of the Diesel
Breaking the monotony of Dzire
Technology

Ecosport for me loses out in terms of refinement and reliability fronts. Hence it's Honda for me!
Old 12th December 2013, 09:21   #230
BHPian

I too shortlisted cars which are <10 lacs and appeal to mass market, they are:
1. Ecosport
2. Amaze
3. Grand i10

And my pick is the Ecosport because it opens up a whole new segment for the buyer, not a sedan and not a hatchback, with futuristic styling, a compact SUV which you can drive to office everyday! With three engine options and superb pricing it offers the buyers to buy something which is different from the rest, in it's initial days .

Amaze is really amazing but is just another sedan on the block with very poor interiors which are an eyesore.

Grand i10, a superb package which ticks all the right boxes with the 1.2l heart, but again, it is just another hatch in the market...
Old 12th December 2013, 10:49   #231
BHPian

Voted for Grand i10. Brilliant overall package at value pricing! What more can we ask for?

To me, this poll is not only about the best new car, but much more than that.

It's the story that goes beyond the basic car - about the overall package (i.e., safety levels, equipment options, engine choices, and the all important value / pricing) and the manufacturer's commitment to the market (i.e., customer focus, service levels, long term views, etc).

Viewing through the above lenses, this is what I'm seeing (treat this as elimination rounds):

High pricing (lower VFM):
Volvo V40; Merc A-Class; BMW 1; Honda CR-V; Nissan Terrano; Mahindra e2o

Low commitment to market:
Isuzu MU-7; Isuzu D-Max; Ashok Leyland Stile; Force Gurkha

Low safety equipment / standards:
Ashok Leyland Stile; Force Gurkha

Undesirable build quality / cheap plastics:
Mahindra Verito Vibe; Chevrolet Enjoy; Chevrolet Sail

Low service levels (including bad customer service / practice):
Skoda Octavia; Ford EcoSport

Unfortunately the above two are actually good cars (Octavia & EcoSport), but marred by their parent's bad practices. Skoda's horror service stories are well documented and comes back to haunt the mind of prospective customers. Reportedly Skoda did something, but still hasn't done enough to wipe its black mark. Not sure whether I can happily handover the COY award to this one yet!

Ford's recent stunt on price hike + pulling out two features AND not helping customers with cancellation fee (or provide a price protection for pre-booked orders) leaves a very bad taste. Certainly unhappy and certainly NOT MY COY!!

That leaves out only two contenders standing tall. The Hyundai Grand i10 and the Honda Amaze. No doubt, both are very good cars backed by very committed manufacturer, striking a good VFM tag.

However, there's still one area that differentiates them.

Low equipment level:
Honda Amaze

Grand i10 takes the cake due to it's brilliant overall package and equipment levels offered at the mouth watering price.

Hence my vote!
GunMo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2013, 11:08   #232
BHPian

Over the last 15-20 years, they mastered the art of reliability, slowly and steadily kept at improving their engineering and moved across segments. Then they stopped copying famous designs and came up with their fluidic design. Their current problem is that their designs don't age well and their dynamics are not matured and balanced. While the proportionately designed Elantra is their real first step, its still too fluidic. I think the i10 grand is their right step towards this. I'm just amazed at their achievements. But then I remind myself, that it's not a poll for the manufacturer. Nevertheless, even in isolation, I like the i10 grand as a package. And I ask myself what car would I buy from the current list.

The other contender, the EcoSport is a close second for its turbo petrol motor and gearbox. But I don't like it's looks and proportions and I fear that some other compact SUV will do what the EcoSport did to the Duster, soon. But the i10 grand, it's going to live well.

Last edited by carrerastrax : 12th December 2013 at 11:12.
Old 12th December 2013, 13:21   #233
BHPian

Voted for AMAZE, for,

- nice and complete sedan looks packaged in sub 4m
- entering and succeeding in traditional Maruti territory
- reviving Honda's fortunes, giving wonderful platform for Honda to roll-out 2014 City
Old 12th December 2013, 20:57   #234
BHPian

Hyundai Grand i10. I own a liva GD, but whenever i look at the grand i10, it just makes me scream inside "Go for an exchange!!". Esp the diesel automatic.
Old 12th December 2013, 21:30   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagesh View Post
Hyundai Grand i10. I own a liva GD, but whenever i look at the grand i10, it just makes me scream inside "Go for an exchange!!". Esp the diesel automatic.
slightly OT:
The i10 Grand trumps the liva on features but performance wise it is far behind.

Also, the i10 Grand diesel AT will not be coming anytime soon

Cheers
Old 13th December 2013, 14:59   #236
BHPian

Arrow re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2013. EDIT : Ford EcoSport it is!

Voted for the Ecosport. What a package it is.
The closest rival to it was the i10 Grand.
Old 14th December 2013, 09:13   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
slightly OT:
The i10 Grand trumps the liva on features but performance wise it is far behind.

Also, the i10 Grand diesel AT will not be coming anytime soon

Cheers
Thanks saadat1992. My bad - didn't realize i10 grand diesel AT was not out yet. But my eagerness comes from the hard clutch. Makes me drool over all the ATs
Old 14th December 2013, 12:36   #238
BHPian

My vote goes to the EcoSport, with the Amaze an amazingly close second. It's the most proportionately made sub 4-metre sedan I've seen. Both of them have good space utilization. If not for the zillion and one features on the EcoSport, I'd have definitely voted for the Amaze.
Old 15th December 2013, 00:06   #239
BHPian

My vote goes for Mahindra e20. Reasons are the top 3 points from Rehaan's official review report.

• Help save the planet. Zero tailpipe emissions and smaller carbon footprint
• 'Auto box' & quick start-off are an absolute pleasure in stop & go traffic
• Tech-dream: GPS, reverse camera, feature laden head-unit, smart phone integration

I feel we should support such initiatives to motivate these companies invest in R&D in our country. I may not buy it now as I am not in a position to afford 2 cars, but my next car in 2014/ 2015 would be MOSTLY an e20 (or the version that will be prevalent then). Why I say MOSTLY? If I can retain my current car which is petrol which will help me in outstation travels and an e20 for in-city travels, I will defenitely go for it. If I can only afford to one car, then it will a diesel Linea/ Punto.
Old 16th December 2013, 12:53   #240
BHPian

Cool re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2013. EDIT : Ford EcoSport it is!

I whole heartedly voted for the V40CC simply because it has been one of my cars which is an all rounder, has some clever bells and whistles and kudos to Volvo for getting it here finally with just variant, having it all. Less industrial waste, brilliant thinking!

If I had to vote in multiples it would hands down be the Amaze. Keep aside the interiors, the light clutch and petrol like driving have forever changed how diesel engines drive. One can only imagine how the future augurs well for Honda and the i-dtec! Revolutionary indeed.

Crack on Honda and Volvo!
Closed Thread