Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2013?
Hyundai Grand i10 115 8.44%
Chevrolet Sail (Sedan) 4 0.29%
Honda Amaze 250 18.36%
Chevrolet Enjoy 6 0.44%
Mahindra Verito Vibe 1 0.07%
Ford EcoSport 696 51.10%
Force Gurkha 5 0.37%
Mahindra e2o 35 2.57%
Isuzu D-Max 1 0.07%
Ashok Leyland Stile 8 0.59%
Nissan Terrano 21 1.54%
Skoda Octavia 152 11.16%
Honda CR-V 2 0.15%
BMW 1-Series 10 0.73%
Mercedes A-Class 32 2.35%
Isuzu MU-7 3 0.22%
Volvo V40 Cross Country 21 1.54%
Voters: 1362. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 5th December 2013, 18:18   #121
BHPian

Default re: Team-BHP Car of the Year, 2013. EDIT : Ford EcoSport it is!

If my memory serves me right, the Duster was the Team BHP car of the year in 2012. This year, the Ecosport seems to be well on its way to bag the prize. Definitely not a co incidence.The Compact SUV segment is on the ascendancy. Some might argue that the Team BHP community itself is not a fair sample size from which one might extrapolate the preference of the general public. But the handsome sales numbers this segment has notched up reflects the Indian car buyer's new found love for this segment. Given the number of releases slated for launch in 2014, I think I can safely stick my neck out & say that in 2014, the Team BHP car of the year will be a compact SUV
satishv1987 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 18:32   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
If I need a SUV, I would rather look at XUV / Storme or even the Terrano; but definitely NOT Ecosport.
OT, but curious. What gets you to Terrano over EcoSport?
Old 5th December 2013, 18:36   #123
BHPian

My vote to the Skoda Octavia!
To me this is the most rounded package (and i don't mean the after sales service - This thread discusses car of the year and not the best after sales experience)
There are a plethora of options by virtue of trim and engine combinations. Features on this car match or in some cases outmatch some luxury marques.

The Ecosport comes a close second for me for the following reasons:
I am just not comfortable with the idea of a short but tall car. If it were not for our stupid 4000 mm rule Ford may have made this car a bit longer. At 4200-4300 mm kind of a length, this car could have been a bit more spacious for the passengers and offered a bit more luggage space. The extended wheelbase would have added to safety (in my perception). Then this would have been a perfect package!

PS: A lot posts are quoting the sales figures and how some cars have sold a lot. I don't think this should be the yardstick to measure a car of the year. Cars in higher brackets are never positioned to be volume generators!

Last edited by viper_711 : 5th December 2013 at 18:38.
viper_711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 18:47   #124
Senior - BHPian

My Vote for the Ford Ecosports. Gives the common man a chance to get a feel of the big bad world of SUV and its capabilities. Somewhat tall felt that the car must have been upto Duster's wheel base specifications which would have made this wonderful product even better
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 19:16   #125
BHPian

Voted: Ecosport

Love the look and features Ford managed to give at a relatively lower price - even more so when compared to Duster/Terrano twins. I know many have spoken about the smaller size/foot print, lack of rear leg room etc, but then I realise that this is something marketed as an smallish Urban SUV - not a full sized one. So i think we need to get our expectation lower too and not expected the comforts of a full sized one.

And for the price its offered (even the fully loaded ones) the features that are provided puts some C2 (even some D1) segment cars to shame. And oh - she is a looker too (subjective of-course)!
Jeash.vk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 19:30   #126

IMHO, the poll should be adjusted for price or something. The ratio of Amaze/Ecosport owners to Octavia owners to 1 series owners is going to be something like 100:10:1, and the polls are going to be likewise. Sure, the Ecosport/Amaze are cheaper and will have more owners in the forum. That doesn't mean the 1 series is any less a car than the Octavia, or the Octavia any less a car than the Ecosport/Amaze. In a fair poll, i'd like to see them side by side, coz each of them have done what the Ecosport/Amaze has done in their respective price range, but then again that's just my opinion.
Old 5th December 2013, 19:31   #127
Senior - BHPian

My heart says : The OCTAVIA

It is a fantastic piece of VAG engineering. BUT it is overpriced in the Indian perspective. And the sour Skoda service reputation doesn't help either.

So, I have voted for : The ECOSPORT

It is the car that is fit for Indian needs. Though it is no where near the Trucks that Ford is really famous for in the US like the F-150 or its variant The Raptor, which has really made Ford what it is today, it is an efficient and smart looking vehicle, just the right size for our over crowded roads, though it does look like an inflated hatchback from many angles, but it ticks more boxes than others.

Would I buy one? Nope, as I feel it is more suited for single car owners. But it is still my choice for the TBhp Car of the Year.

Last edited by dkaile : 5th December 2013 at 19:34.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 19:56   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
Even though I voted for Ecosport as a true gamechanger, I feel the Polo GT twins at least deserve a mention on the poll for finally bringing "Performance to the masses" at least in Indian terms.
VW/Polo is not the first affordable high performance car in India. It remains to be seen whether they'll retain it in their lineup two years down the line after they see low sales numbers for the variant, especially the GT TSi. TDi might be still there since they make the Vento anyway.

Lets not forget the CAR that actually brought performance to the masses - Fiat Palio 1.6 100bhp in those days was really a BIG deal.
Old 5th December 2013, 20:02   #129
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

To me, if restricted to choose the best car within a segment, it would be the Hyundai Grand i10, Honda Amaze, Skoda Octavia and Ford Ecosport.
But my vote is for Ford Ecosport for the overall concept and for creating the most impact with packaging and pricing.
They really had the foresight to bring in a competitor to the segment which has a lot of aspirational value

Last edited by NPV : 5th December 2013 at 20:03.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 20:03   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
OT, but curious. What gets you to Terrano over EcoSport?
I already have a Swift D which can do atleast 90% of the stuffs which an Ecosport also can do. The Terrano (I have NOT driven one) would fetch me a better ride quality, better seating space and HUGE luggage space over the Ecosport. High chances are that I will NOT sell my Swift when I buy my next car - So, having 2 cars which fare similar on utility does NOT make sense to me. A Storme / XUV / Terrano have advantages over the Ecosport.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 5th December 2013 at 20:06.
Old 5th December 2013, 20:14   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omairs View Post
IMHO, the poll should be adjusted for price or something. The ratio of Amaze/Ecosport owners to Octavia owners to 1 series owners is going to be something like 100:10:1, and the polls are going to be likewise.
I guess the voting is just fine. It is not to do with the number of owners out here. Like I voted for EcoSport, solely because of the way they did all the right things for the launch. The hype, the price, the styling, the features. The car came in with a bang and did shake the market in every segment.

I dont see the same anticipation and impact with any other car this year. The delivery stories are a different issue all together, I dont think they were prepared for the demand. There was the Polo GT, Amaze and Octavia. But none tickled the market like this one did.
Old 5th December 2013, 22:18   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
VW/Polo is not the first affordable high performance car in India. It remains to be seen whether they'll retain it in their lineup two years down the line after they see low sales numbers for the variant, especially the GT TSi. TDi might be still there since they make the Vento anyway.

Lets not forget the CAR that actually brought performance to the masses - Fiat Palio 1.6 100bhp in those days was really a BIG deal.
The Palio 1.6 was incidentally my first car and quite a hero of its time. But we're talking 2013 and there were no hatches under 10 lakhs which remotely mewed performance this year apart from the GT's.
JishD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 01:08   #133
BHPian

One boring voting exercise this year i dare say. Everyone knew what the voting would be like didn't we ? Car of year = game changing entry which is more a revolution than a follower like we populary say on team-bhp. It has to be only Ecosport. Look at the second best contender Honda Amaze, how is it significantly better than i20 ?
Old 6th December 2013, 01:23   #134
BHPian

Voted for EcoSport . Obviously for all the good things put together by ford from the start.
Old 6th December 2013, 03:13   #135
BHPian

Seems the mass market fancy for city bred SUV's reflects here as well, explains why the Thar too is doing pretty well in Goa despite it not excelling in anything and not being a hard core 4x4 like the Gurkha. We love our SUV's for the glamour it offers.

Though I do not find any exceptional product in 2013 and would avoid voting, off the mass market alternatives the following are the ones I paused at, I chose not to consider expensive cars that may not impact the majority population.
In decending order:

e20: my heart wants the e20 to win the contest hands down because it is a revolutionary product and its commendable how a mass manufacturer had the guts to innovate and ready a product that comes before its time. However miles to go and little support currently from the authorities. I am sure the future belongs to such and we may see a better packaged update sometime.

Octavia: How much ever I talk to myself about all the love that flows in me for all Skoda cars, this including, I feel that Skoda is not serious about Indian customers and despite another highly brilliant product I don't encourage Skoda's practices. And I still believe the 1st generation Octavia was better built with attention to finer details like the sunroof opening inside the roof of the car, etc.

Amaze: Brilliantly packaged for the masses but overshadowed in attention to detail by Ecosport and Grand. Amaze started the price war and Ecosport took it a yard further. Look around and sadly it does feel built to a price though encompassing its segment competitors with Honda's legendary brilliance.

Ecosport: Brilliantly packaged again, just what we Indians wanted, I believe if any other manufacturer were to bring a like product with similar levels of competence it would do fabulously well, lets face it, there was a void all this while and Ecosport perfectly slid into this spot most urban Indians were waiting to be filled. Moreover of the cars I pondered on, Ecosport is the only drivers car. Also as a package for the masses it is better than the rest of the cars launched this year, but bring all the cars sold in the Indian market, there are better ones, talk about speed, power, comfort, space, refinement, reliability, there are equally competent cars around and some better. In isolation yes, Ecosport is complete, making it an all rounder. However it looses out on space and comfort, something a similarly priced alternative will provide. I have noticed though, for most Indians, Space and Comfort are not deal breakers if the product can tick most boxes and provide features.

Which is why I'd select the Grand i10, this is in stark contradiction to what my definition of a perfect drivers car should be, but I choose to look beyond it, Grand reflects the commitment of a manufacturer towards the Indian population, Hyundai chose to move from a position of strength, to strength, unlike Ford or Honda where they defined or created the segment, Hyundai could have compromised somewhere and yet would have a successful product but No, it takes commitment to improve already successful siblings and Grand feels like a better overall car in that segment, packaged better than the Swift, other Hyundai twins, Punto, with smooth engines, space, comforting ride and reliability, they bettered the recipe and have incorporated the market feedback on the successful i10 and i20. It is designed for the majority and offending none. The attention to particulars is fantastic and overall product and features better than other siblings. Which is why I feel the Grand is better than its closest competition Ecosport in this ranking. I feel the pulse of the Indian market is still in cars priced around 5 L and IMHO the Figo similarly was a more complete package against its competition when launched, than the Ecosport.

But as reflected earlier I wish there were better cars to vote for, hope 2014 turns out to be interesting.

Last edited by s_pphilip : 6th December 2013 at 03:24.
s_pphilip is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread