Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 19th March 2014, 11:30   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Volkswagen India: The Way Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Looks like VW will towards the MQB platform for its upcoming products in India. Might shun the idea of low cost ' market specific' cars!
http://overdrive.in/news/interview-m...-future-plans/
Positive news for the Indian market. It means VW will at least avoid a Toyota Etios inspired product with underwhelming specs for the Indian market. One must also remember that cost is not driven merely by specs and tech but also by supply chain issues. A higher spec product may actually have lower costs if it has a more established supply chain with higher volumes.

Another interesting nugget from the interview was the export focus. While that is beneficial for the Indian economy in a wider sense, it might also benefit the Indian consumer because companies that use India as an export base for B and C segment cars usually offer at least one variant with better safety features for the Indian market as well. Hyundai and Ford are good examples of this. I am essentially referring to safety features beyond the usual ABS and dual front airbags - things like side and curtain airbags, ESP, etc.
satyaanveshi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 13:41   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Looks like VW will towards the MQB platform for its upcoming products in India. Might shun the idea of low cost ' market specific' cars!

http://overdrive.in/news/interview-m...-future-plans/
When I started reading this interview, I was hoping the following key questions will be asked and some info will be shared. But sadly, that was not the case.

-Plans for bringing in the 1.2 TSI across the Polo/Vento Range
-Plans with the 1.5 TDI we are expecting
-DSG Concerns and the hesitancy to provide extended warranty
-About the Vento DSG Diesel which we are hearing rumors about

Wonder if the interviewer was asked to restrict questioning to specific rareas
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2014, 14:36   #93
BHPian

It definitely is good that VW will continue offering it's global range in India unlike the third-world products on offer from the Japanese majors.
Their cars are mostly very good. If they'd scale up their service standards and dealer practices too to global levels, they'd regain the aspirational value they initially had.
IMHO a customer would forgive the occasional trouble his car might give, if the manufacturer and dealer correct the failure to the customer's satisfaction, and attempt to alleviate the inconvenience caused in the meantime. This is where VAG dealers fail miserably, leading to owners venting their ire on forums like Team-BHP.

Last edited by one-77 : 19th March 2014 at 14:37.
one-77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 10:46   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post

-DSG Concerns and the hesitancy to provide extended warranty
Rajeevraj

Assuming you are enquiring about extended warranty for Vento Tsi. It is currently available and I bought one last week paying 17k for 2 years.
The dealer also showed me a chart which roughly indicated that for cars between 0 to 6M it was 17k, cars between 6M to 1year was 20k.
Shortsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 11:29   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortsell View Post
Rajeevraj

Assuming you are enquiring about extended warranty for Vento Tsi. It is currently available and I bought one last week paying 17k for 2 years.
The dealer also showed me a chart which roughly indicated that for cars between 0 to 6M it was 17k, cars between 6M to 1year was 20k.
Thanks, Yes i was aware from your earlier posts that it is available now. Question was more on why the delay in launching it. They could have launched it with the car itself, would have played an important role in addressing the DSG concerns people had and would have helped increase sales also.

On a side note: What is the process for buying the Extended warranty? Any documents to carry? Do they do any inspection?
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 11:51   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
On a side note: What is the process for buying the Extended warranty? Any documents to carry? Do they do any inspection?
Coincidentally, I had just bought the car 15 days ago so the dealer was aware of all my details. But was told they do a check on the following for older cars

1) registration documents
2) VIN
3) service history--which they can track via their internal systems once the VIN is known.
4) Any existing damage on the car

Once these checks are done, the documentation is a 5 min process.
Shortsell is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 08:50   #97
Senior - BHPian

Link to ACI article on future plans of VW re its cars- Polo & Vento.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...nt-375752.aspx

Excerpts:

1. The cars to get more local content. Hope they reduce costs of buying & servicing/ repairs.

2. These get features that align with the testes of Indian customers, & not international standards. These include - LED-equipped headlights, integrated reversing camera & power folding OVRM with turn indicators incorporated into them for the Polo.
Vento will also get feature upgrades, most of which are focussed on the rear seats. A rear-seat entertainment package will have individual screens in the front headrests, & is on the cards is a higher airbag count. VW India may also spice up the Vento with generous doses of chrome accents to appeal to Indian tastes.

3. Polo gets new 89bhp 1.5-litre, four-cylinder diesel engine, & Vento will also get the same 1.5 TDi, but a more powerful version developing 104bhp (similar to the outgoing 1.6 diesel).

4. A DSG transmission for the diesel engine will also be made available. The twin-clutch autobox is likely to be offered in the Vento sometime towards the end of the year, followed by the Polo 1.5 TDi automatic using the same transmission.

Last edited by CARDEEP : 21st March 2014 at 09:00.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 08:56   #98
Senior - BHPian

Latest (Mar 20th 2014 )development on VW's way forward in Emerging Markets.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...markets-3.html (VW's budget brand for Emerging Markets)

Last edited by volkman10 : 21st March 2014 at 08:58.
volkman10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2014, 10:01   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Link to ACI article on future plans of VW re its cars- Polo & Vento.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...nt-375752.aspx

Excerpts:

1. The cars to get more local content. Hope they reduce costs of buying & servicing/ repairs.

2. These get features that align with the testes of Indian customers, & not international standards. These include - LED-equipped headlights, integrated reversing camera & power folding OVRM with turn indicators incorporated into them for the Polo.
Vento will also get feature upgrades, most of which are focussed on the rear seats. A rear-seat entertainment package will have individual screens in the front headrests, & is on the cards is a higher airbag count. VW India may also spice up the Vento with generous doses of chrome accents to appeal to Indian tastes.

3. Polo gets new 89bhp 1.5-litre, four-cylinder diesel engine, & Vento will also get the same 1.5 TDi, but a more powerful version developing 104bhp (similar to the outgoing 1.6 diesel).

4. A DSG transmission for the diesel engine will also be made available. The twin-clutch autobox is likely to be offered in the Vento sometime towards the end of the year, followed by the Polo 1.5 TDi automatic using the same transmission.

If the Autocar article turns out to be true, it is extremely good news and something which i have been looking forward for a while ever since the octavia turned out to be too expensive

A diesel DSG Vento with 6 airbags and ESP will be really something to wait for. The other mentioned features like rear seat screens are bonus. Hope VW launches it soon at a reasonable price. Icing on the cake will be a 7 year standard warranty on the DSG.
Mohan Mathew A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2014, 07:47   #100
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen look to drive in compact SUV's.

Quote:
The project is code-named VW 251\2.

Quote:
Volkswagen has moved from a "consideration stage" to "final stage" of approval for development of the sub-4m project. Reports indicate that the company has internally finalised the program, and it will reach out to
the vendors with the request for quotations (RFQ) for sourcing of components shortly.

If the RFQ's hit the market in the next couple of months, the product will hit the market by mid-2016.

The company hopes to bring in incremental volumes of 40,000 to 60,000 units per annum depending on the market condition
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/33532788.cms
Old 10th April 2014, 08:48   #101
BHPian

Volkswagen launches the Vento 'Preferred' which is supposedly a more loaded version of the Comfortline and more VFM. News report - http://auto.ndtv.com/news/volkswagen...e-otherstories
hothatchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2014, 11:06   #102
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen, Skoda hire Indian design firms to develop cost-effective vehicles.

Name:  p4.jpg
Views: 1829
Size:  32.6 KB

Quote:
Quote:
Volkswagen is in talks with Hinduja Group's Defiance Technologies for its sub-4m Vento. Defiance is also working on Japanese carmaker Nissan Motor's entry-level car codenamed i2.
Skoda Auto has entrusted Mahindra Engineering Services ( MES) with the engineering of the new Rapid sedan it plans to launch in the Indian market soon.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/33875114.cms
Old 22nd April 2014, 11:26   #103
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen is contemplating bringing the T-Roc instead of Taigun to India!

Name:  VolkswagenTROC.jpg
Views: 1518
Size:  133.2 KB

Quote:
Quote:
Volkswagen is likely to bring MQB-based T-Roc instead of Taigun to India.
Volkswagen is considering shifting their Indian production facilities over to the new MQB. Nothing is decided yet but there is much discussion on the topic both within the organisation and outside with the media.
The T-Roc is early in the concept stage but the production car it spins off could be a compact four-door SUV with small and efficient petrol and diesel powertrain. Which would make it perfect for the Indian market
http://overdrive.in/news/exclusive-v...igun-to-india/
Old 28th April 2014, 12:28   #104
BHPian

I have my own bad experience to quote about VW. This is when I had sold off a Swift P and was looking at a Diesel hatch.

Called VW Downtown for a TD of Polo and they said the diesel car had gone for service, the petrol was available. I asked them to call me when the diesel was available for TD. They didn't.

Called VW Palace Cross, their showroom is 4-5km from my place. The guy on phone said they had too many customers and it would be better if I came to the showroom. I told him I don't live far and I would prefer the TD vehicle being brought home. It would have been good if he had said "Since today is a busy day, I could try to arrange for it in the near future". Instead he just stuck to his guns and I had to tell him to send the car on a relatively easy day.

After this there was no response from either of the showrooms. I had a similar experience with Shahwar Nissan. Though they woke up earlier than VW guys and got a TD car home. But by then, I had made my choice.

VW woke up about 6 months after I purchased the car asking if I was still interested in a TD. Seriously?!! Told her that they are atleast 4-5 years too early for my next purchase

A note about response from Maruti and Hyundai. They got the TD cars home within 2-3 hours. When Maruti didn't have a diesel (Ritz) because it had gone for service, they got the car the next day.

If you aren't interested in selling your cars, how do you expect service guys to be interested in doing their job?!
DDIS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 08:22   #105
Senior - BHPian

VW Group to launch 7 new SUVs.

New Audi Q7 - 2014
Most important change for the Q7 will be that it will weigh 300kg less thanks to the lighter MLB platform that will result in improved agility and fuel economy. A plug-in hybrid variant of the model will also be offered. However, expect a less aggressive look.

Porsche Cayenne - 2017
The third-generation Cayenne is in development

Bentley Falcon - 2017
The Falcon, as Bentley’s SUV is known internally, is due in 2017

Volkswagen Touareg - 2017
A revised Touareg was seen earlier this month in Beijing. The next-generation model will again be the VW Group’s price-leading big SUV, but it will get a more luxurious cabin, a lighter chassis and modern, fuel-efficient engines.

Audi Q8 - 2017
Audi's new range-topping crossover SUV will rival the likes of the BMW X6 and Range Rover Sport

Porsche Cayenne coupe - 2018
Tentatively due on sale in 2018, the model should come as part of the third-generation Cayenne line-up and will act as a rival to the likes of the upcoming Mercedes-Benz MLC.

Lamborghini Urus - 2018
Due in 2018, this will be the most extreme of the VW Group SUVs, with typical Lamborghini driving characteristics.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...vs-384789.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th May 2014 at 08:25.