Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 12th March 2014, 17:17   #166
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh

Fantastic pricing and superb packaging across variants! Bang on target. The only downside I see is the diesel mill in comparison with DZire and Amaze. For majority of buyers, this may not matter too much. Pricing it below Amaze/DZire is a masterstroke from Hyundai.

We need to wait and see how much of this amazement will turn into sales numbers. If Grand i10 numbers are anything to go by, I don't see any problem in this car touching upwards of 5k.
Old 12th March 2014, 17:31   #167
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Honda Amaze is priced between 4.99 to 7.55 for for the petrol and 5.97 to 7.49 for the diesel.

Considering the features list and interior quality- I feel petrol is real VFM. Diesel I am not so sure since both DZire and Amaze offers better engines.
at the price difference of 40K for Diesel ....I will still go for Hyundai.

Amaze diesel engine is over-sized (& probably dangerous) engine in such a puny car. Honda may as well put this Diesel engine in Accord and CRV

Last edited by anu21v : 12th March 2014 at 17:32.
Old 12th March 2014, 17:33   #168
BHPian

Hyundai is the cheapest 3-box car one can buy in India. Without doubt it would be a hit.

The proportions are off, but I don't think anybody would care. They lapped up the dzire and the amaze. I wonder what companies like Ford and GM are waiting for. Don't they know how to design hideous cars?
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 18:47   #169
BHPian

Spotted this last night with a TN-09 regn. Posting here presuming its an Xcent.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-20140310_192830.jpg  

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 12th March 2014 at 18:50.
swiftdiesel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 19:15   #170
BHPian

Good Article comparing the 3 cars in the segment: URL

Features look mouth watering:
"It takes the Grand i10’s already substantial kit count and adds to it features like a rear-view camera, automatic climate control and a rear seat armrest with cupholders. It also gets segment-first features like keyless entry, push-button start, a rear AC vent and 1GB of onboard storage for its audio system. Then there are rear parking sensors, CD, USB, Aux and Bluetooth-enabled audio system and electric folding mirrors, among others"

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 12th March 2014 at 19:19.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 19:20   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Spotted this last night with a TN-09 regn. Posting here presuming its an Xcent.
No way! That's a hatch for sure, and a big one at that! I suspect you might have caught the new i20

Also - Xcent test cars have been plying on chennai roads for past one month without any camouflage.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 20:29   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
I doubt it. No matter how many goodies Hyundai has put in this, the engine is on a weaker side which is a big negative in comparison with Amaze at least.
Also, i am expecting Honda to release a face lift model for amaze as its nearly a year since its been launched. So, lesse what happens. Dzire will remain untouched imo.
I10 + I10 Grand sells around 10k units of petrol (I10 ~ 4k + I10 Grand ~6k) every month, I am expecting a lot of those people to Stretch and go for Xcent. Other than that Interior wise it is much better than Amaze. Plus I20 Customers will be poached . All together 8k is pretty much possible.Anyways, it is all speculations for now.

but one cant take away the fact that it is fantastically priced and packaged.
Even I agree that Dzire will be untouched.
Old 12th March 2014, 20:35   #173
Distinguished - BHPian

Now I do NOT find a reason to opt for Amaze over the Xcent. This car does look better, far better interiors, better boot space, at par space (?), better features, better refinement from the engine.

Hope Hyundai sticks to the launch price for a better time. At least, please honor price protection for those who book till the prices are revised, even if there is a huge backlog. PLEASE!!
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 20:58   #174
BHPian

I am bit disappointed over the diesel variant. Thought that Hyundai would plonk it's 1.4 CRDI mill in Xcent. If that had been the case then it would have been a better car.
Old 12th March 2014, 22:38   #175
Distinguished - BHPian

I think my search for a good automatic car for parents has finally come to a closure. The car had to be automatic, reliable, compact, modern (will be retained for 10 years or more) and ABS and airbags were compulsory.

The feature list in Xcent is amaze'ing and dzire'able for parents. The automatic SX(o) ticks all the boxes in my search criteria.

Automatic gearbox,
ABS and Airbags,
Rear camera with EC mirror display. Rear parking sensor. (Very useful for them since we have some right lanes to negotiate while reversing out of the garage)
Keyless entry (No use for them, but good to have)
Rear defogger
Alloy wheels (Diamond cut wheels look nice)
Leather wrapped steering
2 DIN audio. Aux. USB. 1 GB storage. (Good to have since I can load all my collection in the car and forget about audio. Parents don't need to fiddle with USB to play music)
Electric folding mirrors. (Brilliant to have for our garage design. )
Driver seat height adjust (Must have for mom who is very short. )

Sounds perfect, but for the lower FE figures compared to Amaze automatic. However, a cheaper price tag more than makes up for it.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 22:42   #176
Distinguished - BHPian

A link to the Xcent launch:

http://www.rediff.com/business/slide...e/20140312.htm

A first from HMIL using the hatchback platform. Tata, Maruti and Honda have already launched such sedans from their existing hatchback range.

This car will surely emerge a winner and give the DZire, Amaze and others in this range a tough competition.

Though late, its a very clever strategy by HMIL to save costs and at the same time get back its loyalists from the old Accent segment.

While upgrading from the Santro or i 10 or i 20 (the i 20 is in nearly the same price range as the X cent , so would they also launch an i 20 platform based sedan ???) to a sedan, the Verna was in a much higher price range. Hence, many Hyundai loyalists would be lured by the DZire or the Amaze and so on. Not any more now !

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 12th March 2014 at 22:46.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 23:02   #177
Senior - BHPian

The USP of this car is that it is loaded with gizmos at a quite reasonable price. I normally do not TD cars as they come out, but I think I shall give the petrol automatic a try (if a TD car is available though!).
The length of Xcent is exactly the same as i20 - with similar gizmos.
So I guess for those who want a bigger hatchback would choose i20, while the ones who need the trunk would choose the Xcent.
blackasta is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 23:31   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
I am bit disappointed over the diesel variant. Thought that Hyundai would plonk it's 1.4 CRDI mill in Xcent. If that had been the case then it would have been a better car.
I totally agree with you. Its evident that people who buy this car puts styling and equipment above power. Amaze sure has bad NVH levels but the engine has enough power on tap, clocking fastest 0-100 time among the 3 (Amaze, Xcent and Dzire). But the fun tops at 145kmph

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
at the price difference of 40K for Diesel ....I will still go for Hyundai.

Amaze diesel engine is over-sized (& probably dangerous) engine in such a puny car. Honda may as well put this Diesel engine in Accord and CRV
Price difference is around 90k ex-showroom and not 40k comparing similar models. Its just that petrol version come with auto gearbox option in top end trim which diesel variants lack. Also oversized engine in amaze is something new i heard from you. What will you say to Polo GT TDI then? I don't think Accord and CRV will have same 100PS engine as its too low for cars in its segment.
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 01:13   #179
BHPian

superb pricing by Hyundai! And a real VFM feature list! But somehow,I feel this would first eat into i20's share before anything else, considering how closely both cars are priced now.

Now, it should be very easy for Hyundai salespersons to turn those undecided customers who come enquiring about i20, (primarily for its features/gizmos) to Xcent showing them the added image of the boot and almost similar pricing. Ofcourse, an enthusiast will only settle for the 1.4 Crdi i20, but still i feel that many customers who would have given the diesel grand i10 a miss, would show interest in the Diesel Xcent just because of the added boot alone.

Again it is a matter of the company's priority on which model they want to produce more or promote more.But considering that Xcent is a new launch, I think Hyundai would'nt mind promoting it initially and letting it take some share of the already established i20.

Other possible outcomes that we can expect are
1) Amaze may get a facelift sooner than expected
2) Zest may be priced even more competitively.

Last edited by VinodDevil81 : 13th March 2014 at 01:19.
Old 13th March 2014, 06:56   #180
BHPian

I was hoping for Hyundai to plonk their 1.4 ltr crdi engine which is doing the duty in the i20 n verna. 7.38 ex showroom is too steep for a 3 cylinder engine.
Closed Thread