Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 13th March 2014, 07:40   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
superb pricing by Hyundai! And a real VFM feature list! But somehow,I feel this would first eat into i20's share before anything else, considering how closely both cars are priced now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparsh View Post
I was hoping for Hyundai to plonk their 1.4 ltr crdi engine which is doing the duty in the i20 n verna. 7.38 ex showroom is too steep for a 3 cylinder engine.
I think Hyundai has handled the product positioning well. They had to make sure of VFM pricing to take hold of a segment which has two solid performers.

However- given the way Indians fancy sedans- this strategy was sure to eat into i20 sales. For this they have ensured that i20 gets the better Diesel engine. Also- i20 is at the end of its life cycle and spy pics suggest that the new one is going even higher up the segment in terms of size and features. This should free up some space between the pricing of these cars.

Honda has a even tougher job once the new Jazz comes out since Amaze, Jazz and City all would use the same Diesel engines.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 07:52   #182
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Also- i20 is at the end of its life cycle and spy pics suggest that the new one is going even higher up the segment in terms of size and features. This should free up some space between the pricing of these cars.
+1 But still the i20 design looks quite fresh. Yes the higher spec'ed diesel engine was the only way to differentiate and maintain the VFM tag of the sedan.

Quote:
Honda has a even tougher job once the new Jazz comes out since Amaze, Jazz and City all would use the same Diesel engines.
Jazz and City : Clear market differentiation exists in terms of sedan Vs hatch
Jazz and Amaze : Again clear differentiation here; not from the engine point of view, but hopefully Honda keeps it from a build quality/fit and finish point of view.
Old 13th March 2014, 09:16   #183
BHPian

For a compact sedan, I think, the engines are adequate. What would we possibly do with a bigger engine? After all we drive below 2000rpm because that is where the mileage is.

Instead, i say, get the small engine and revv it. Work the turbo rather than making it lay idle. You would have enough fun in the turbo range.
Old 13th March 2014, 09:19   #184
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh

The compact/entry level sedan market is surely getting more competitive now and this launch of Xcent will hopefully bring more benefits to customers in terms of value/features being offered.

On a lighter note, is Hyundai running out of names ? Why "Xcent" which sounds very much like an accentuated version of their older car, the "Accent" ?
Old 13th March 2014, 09:34   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
On a lighter note, is Hyundai running out of names ? Why "Xcent" which sounds very much like an accentuated version of their older car, the "Accent" ?
Hyundai expects this car to take off from where the old successful Accent left. Xcent is the new generation Accent for the youth (generation X) as per Hyundai.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 09:38   #186
Senior - BHPian

Extremely keen pricing especially the petrol. Diesel I am afraid is let down by the engine. Imagine a full load of passengers + luggage with the aircon on. This will struggle for sure.
Old 13th March 2014, 12:28   #187
BHPian

That's great news. The Xcent is very competitively priced. A definite game changer as most people mentioned. Hyundai has loaded it with a host of features and it makes it impossible to resist. Also going through the equipment list, I feel Hyundai has made improvements from the Grand i10 hatch, like ECM with display, dual room lamps and more importantly offering the AT in petrol mid and top trims. The looks and interior quality / finish have never been an issue with Hyundai and have always been top notch. Add to that the excellent ASS and dealer network, this car will definitely give the Dzire and Amaze a run for their money. Will wait for the sales figure to see the impact of the Xcent on the segment.

The only apprehension I have is with the known issues with Hyundai viz. the suspension, steering feedback. Hope these issues have been addressed with the Xcent. The 1.2L Kappa VTVT petrol is a pleasure to drive but the 1.1L Diesel is a bit underpowered according to my perception.
Well a comprehensive Test Drive and Review on T-BHP would be a perfect showcase for the car . Eagerly waiting for it . All in all, a complete and VFM offering from Hyundai.
Old 13th March 2014, 14:13   #188
BHPian

The equipment level is quite mouthwatering but base variant lacks audio system and more importantly rear power windows. Hyundai may be pushing towards S variant as VFM choice(which it is). ABS is not standard on any variant and airbags available only on top variant. i20/Verna came with exceptional safety features no so the case with Xcent.

Autocar has compared Amaze,Xcent and Dzire
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...-374956.aspx/0
Old 13th March 2014, 14:58   #189
BHPian

I think Hyundai has hit the bulls eye with the Xcent. Design looks neat with very good boot integration (unlike the quirky Dzire boot).

Has a great feature list, fully loaded. And above all VFM pricing.

Only setback is the 3 cylinder, diesel mill. Was expecting the 1.4 CRDi from the i20. The Dzire & Amaze will kill it in performance. But the average Indian has never paid too much attention to whats under the hood.

I believe Xcent will eat into i20's share, they are priced almost similarly. Dzire will still be the king of the hill. And Honda needs to add some extra spice to the Amaze like better refinement levels & some extra goodies in the interior.

Last edited by Venkat_Figo : 13th March 2014 at 14:59.
Old 13th March 2014, 15:54   #190
BHPian

Any idea on the capacity of AC in Xcent ? I hope it is not 90cc as in i20.
Old 14th March 2014, 10:38   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a short comparison between the 3 notchbacks vying for top billing in the C1 segment.

Deductions:

- The XCent's lower variants are priced lower/at par with it's nearest 2 competitors. However, the higher variants are almost at par/overpriced.

- Petrol figures indicate that the DZire still rules the roost, with slightly better power figures, although it is a close call between all 3.

- Diesel figures show a completely different picture. The Amaze is a pure pack of dynamite compared to the other two. The DZire is not bad on the basis of pure performance either.

- The XCent AT seems like a great buy at it's price point. Hyundai has added to it's VFM quotient by offering full safety features in it.

Like others have said, Hyundai clearly missed a trick here by not plonking the 1.4 CRDi into the XCent. With 90 PS of power and 224 Nm of torque punching in as early as 1500 RPM (in the Hyundai i20), it could easily have given the Amaze a run for it's money, leaving the DZire behind.

As it stands, the XCent petrol is a great VFM buy, combining the figures with a fantastic set of features on offer.

Performance enthusiasts will stick to the Amaze diesel IMO, and those who would prefer the safer route will continue with the DZire diesel, since the XCent diesel doesn't make a strong case for itself at those pricing points.

All prices quoted are ex-showroom, Delhi. Couldn't find kerb weight figures of the XCent so left them blank.

Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh-untitled.gif

Last edited by RavenAvi : 14th March 2014 at 10:44.
RavenAvi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 11:13   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Here is a short comparison between the 3 notchbacks vying for top billing in the C1 segment.
Attachment 1219171
It seems you have converted Torque in Kgm to Nm by just removing the decimal from the Kgm figure. This is not the case. To get the correct figure multiply the Kgm value by 9.80 to get value in Nm.

Example: 18.4 Kgm for the Diesel Xcent translates to 180.50 Nm. Same is the case for Xcent petrol: 11.6 Kgm = 114 Nm (rounded off)
jessie007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 11:38   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Deductions: - The XCent's lower variants are priced lower/at par with it's nearest 2 competitors. However, the higher variants are almost at par/overpriced.
Not a fair comparison between Xcent SX (o) and DZire ZXi and Amaze VMT. Options list offered by the Hyundai makes the other two look rather barebones.

'Diamond cut' alloy wheels.I think SX gets normal alloys.
Rear camera with EC mirror display,
Rear parking sensor, (Amaze has this)
Keyless entry with push button start.
Rear defogger.
2 DIN audio with CD + Aux + USB + Bluetooth + 1 GB storage as well.
Steering controls for audio and Bluetooth.
Electric folding mirrors. (Amaze has this though)
Rear ac vent Cooled glovebox.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 14th March 2014 at 11:44.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2014, 12:48   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Not a fair comparison between Xcent SX (o) and DZire ZXi and Amaze VMT. Options list offered by the Hyundai makes the other two look rather barebones.

'Diamond cut' alloy wheels.I think SX gets normal alloys.
Rear camera with EC mirror display,
Rear parking sensor, (Amaze has this)
Keyless entry with push button start.
Rear defogger.
2 DIN audio with CD + Aux + USB + Bluetooth + 1 GB storage as well.
Steering controls for audio and Bluetooth.
Electric folding mirrors. (Amaze has this though)
Rear ac vent Cooled glovebox.
Not a fan of diamond cut alloys. The only feature of consequence is the rear camera with ec mirror display.
Old 14th March 2014, 14:19   #195
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

I think there is a reason why the i20's four cylinder engine was not used on the Xcent. Hyundai have stated before (I think I read it in ACI, don't remember exactly) that the engine bay of the Grand i10/new international i10/Xcent is not big enough to accommodate the larger 4-pot motor.

The i20's CRDi unit is basically a 4-cyl. version of the engine found on the Grand i10/Xcent, with a conventional turbocharger and intercooler. The 3-cyl. unit has a smaller and much better packaged turbo, I believe.

Apart from space constraints, there is also the weight factor. The i20 CRDi is approximately 200 kg heavier than the i20 petrol 1.2 - the engine constitutes the lion's share of this 200 kg even if there are other components adding to weight (such as the rear disc brakes, heavier 6-speed gearbox, beefed up front suspension to tackle extra weight etc.)

Having said that, I still think Hyundai should have provided a 6-speed gearbox on the Xcent diesel - to extract the best performance (and efficiency) out of the 1.1 lit. 3-pot motor. This 1.1 CRDi-6 speed 'box combo is offered as an option on the European i20 (along with the 1.4 CRDI-6 speed gearbox).

Instead, they seem to have altered the turbo to extract better performance. The power is up by only 1PS compared to the Grand i10 diesel, but there is a substantial boost in torque of an extra 2 kg.m (or 19.6 N.m). How well this translates into better performance remains to be seen - waiting for the Team-BHP review to know this.

The weight of the Xcent should only be marginally more than that of the hatchback, despite the increase in length. My guesstimate is an extra 20-25 kg, which is not a big deal.

Even if the Xcent diesel has improved grunt, it still wouldn't be able to match either the Amaze's EarthDreams motor or the Dzire's Fiat MultiJet/DDiS unit on flat-out performance. It can only hope to come close in terms of everyday drivability/part throttle responses and despite being a 3-cyl. unit, it should better the Amaze diesel in terms of NVH by a fair margin and the Dzire diesel marginally.

Hyundai know this and that's why they have priced it at a lower premium over the petrol, when compared to its two main competitors.

The petrol side is a very different story. The 1.2 Kappa dual VTVT may have a slightly lower output on paper (83PS against 87PS and 88PS) but it is the most flexible engine of the three with the most practical torque characteristics. The petrol variants are also priced superbly, not to mention the additional equipment on offer - rear A/C vents & power socket, true keyless entry and push start, reverse camera paired with an electro-chromic mirror, music system with Bluetooth functionality and internal memory over both the Amaze and Dzire (plus climate control over the Amaze, electric folding ORVMs over the Dzire etc.)

The petrol Automatic variants are also the best value-for-money offerings in the segment, priced lower than both the Amaze and the poorly equipped Dzire Automatic (no airbags). The Amaze has the advantage of an extra gear, though.

In terms of sales, I think the Xcent will join the small list of cars whose petrol variants sell more units than the diesels (just like its hatchback sibling).

The battle in the "sweet spot" of the Indian market (huge volumes coupled with good margins) is rapidly turning out to be a fiercely competitive struggle between the three biggies - Maruti Suzuki, Hyundai and Honda.

Ritz vs. Grand i10 vs. Brio

Swift vs. i20 vs. Jazz*

Dzire vs. Xcent vs. Amaze

SX4/Ciaz* vs. Verna vs. City

Ertiga vs. Hexaspace* vs. Mobilio*

* - yet to be launched

On another note, the Xcent is the fifth sub-4m sedan to be launched in the country, after the Indigo CS, new Dzire, Amaze and Verito Vibe. With the Figo/Ka compact sedan, Zest and possibly a Micra sedan set to join the party in the future, there seems to be no future for the 4m+ sedans (such as the Fiesta Classic, Logan/Verito, Dzire Tour, Manza, Etios, Sail, Linea Classic variants and the ancient Ambassador) that compete in the same C1 segment of the market.

Last edited by RSR : 14th March 2014 at 14:47.
RSR is offline   (11) Thanks
Closed Thread