Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 6th April 2014, 20:11   #256
BHPian

Go for Xcent only If he requires additional boot space, else, Grand is better option.
Old 6th April 2014, 22:47   #257
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh

Okay, so I took another TD as planned!

(For those who aren't following from my previous post on the prev page, we're talking about the drive and dynamics of the petrol xcent manual)

This time, I went with less emotion, more grounded expectations, and lesser traffic problems thanks to it being a sunday. I also forced the other contenders out of my mind and decided to judge the car as a whole package. I need to understand that this is not meant to be a fun car. And what's more, I am not looking to drive this that often. The other ca in my garage are for fun

Engine / Performance - As I said before, refinement is impeccable. It's difficult to feel a running engine under that hood. In city drive-ability is nothing short of excellent, with the responsive engine, light clutch, light steering, and compact dimensions.

However, floor the throttle and you'll notice a lot of missing eagerness. The car is not underpowered for its purpose and segment - in fact in city conditions the power is adequate, but tuned heavily for a zippy low end. The mid range is okay, and the top end leaves much to be desired. Keep a light foot, and you'll feel at home. Keep a heavy foot under 60 kph, and you'll do fine if you keep the engine on the boil - downshift as needed. Try a sudden overtake at higher speeds and although the little car will make it, it'll make you feel a lag. The Grand i10 is expectedly faster through the gears. My ritz, in comparison, is a full level faster and more fun to zip into gaps.

100 comes up not too quick, as I said, but don't get me wrong - for most applications, this car is not a slouch. It can be worked through the gears, and, is adequate. If you're an enthusiast, look elsewhere. For everything else done right, look here.

I would like to say that I'm not as disappointed as I was after my previous TD. The open road allowed me to push more, and I've begun to judge this car's performance as one factor amidst its many other qualities and practicality. With all that thrown in, this engine suffices.

Handling / Dynamics / Ride - Again, ride is par for the segment. The rear setup is definitely softer than the Grand i10, and feels so. For the most part, the car handles bad roads with ease, even on lower speeds. The sound insulation is good too.

Composure at speed is also satisfactory. For a soft - specced Hyundai sedan, you don't feel much speed in the cabin (some of this is due to the silent engine too), but all this is in a straight line. Corners are not friendly tarmac for the xcent. I drove relatively faster today, and swove through traffic between 80-100 kph. The rear jumps easily, and confidence levels are low. I was hoping the sedan would drive better than the hatch in this regard. A slightly stiffer setup would make this a better all rounder. Steering is light, but I've spoken about that the last time (along with the strong centering action).

So, after the second TD, my opinions are slightly different. Handling/Ride - same as before. Engine - better. I think I expected too much the first time. An amaze this is not, neither will it match my ritz in outright pep. But it's satisfactory. I would've been really happy if the top end was a little better, and the suspension was stiffer. But you can't have everything in one package!

Truly, for outright power I'd buy the amaze, but for the drab interior and the similar, choppy and underconfident dynamics. For better dynamics and decent interiors I'd pick up a dzire, but the looks, and a long maruti "rattles" and "cheap parts" history pushes me away. One thing is for sure - sit in the Grand / xcent, close the heavy, almost euro door, feel those interiors, and you'll never guess you're sitting in an entry level car which costs this much.

I think I've decided on the xcent. One TD of the amaze is due before I put my money down, but I'm scared I'll like the outright performance, scrap every other comparison, and buy it! I have to keep reminding myself this is a car for mom and not for me, and that priorities change accordingly! I'll stick to my laura and 124 for fun

To be honest, if it were just my prioroties for a ~6l sedan, I'd close my eyes and go pick up the Ford Classic 1.6. Decade old? No features? Terrible resale? I don't care once I put my foot on that gas pedal!!

But I'm going off topic here, so let me stop. After all this is an xcent thread!
ayushagarwal26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2014, 22:59   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayushagarwal26 View Post
Okay, so I took another TD as planned! (For those who aren't following from my previous post on the prev page, we're talking about the drive and dynamics of the petrol xcent manual) This time, I went with less emotion, more grounded expectations, and lesser traffic problems thanks to it being a sunday. I also forced the other contenders out of my mind and decided to judge the car as a whole package. I need to understand that this is not meant to be a fun car. And what's more, I am not looking to drive this that often. The other ca in my garage are for fun Engine / Performance - As I said before, refinement is impeccable. It's difficult to feel a running engine under that hood. In city drive-ability is nothing short of excellent, with the responsive engine, light clutch, light steering, and compact dimensions. However, floor the throttle and you'll notice a lot of missing eagerness. The car is not underpowered for its purpose and segment - in fact in city conditions the power is adequate, but tuned heavily for a zippy low end. The mid range is okay, and the top end leaves much to be desired. Keep a light foot, and you'll feel at home. Keep a heavy foot under 60 kph, and you'll do fine if you keep the engine on the boil - downshift as needed. Try a sudden overtake at higher speeds and although the little car will make it, it'll make you feel a lag. The Grand i10 is expectedly faster through the gears. My ritz, in comparison, is a full level faster and more fun to zip into gaps. 100 comes up not too quick, as I said, but don't get me wrong - for most applications, this car is not a slouch. It can be worked through the gears, and, is adequate. If you're an enthusiast, look elsewhere. For everything else done right, look here. I would like to say that I'm not as disappointed as I was after my previous TD. The open road allowed me to push more, and I've begun to judge this car's performance as one factor amidst its many other qualities and practicality. With all that thrown in, this engine suffices. Handling / Dynamics / Ride - Again, ride is par for the segment. The rear setup is definitely softer than the Grand i10, and feels so. For the most part, the car handles bad roads with ease, even on lower speeds. The sound insulation is good too. Composure at speed is also satisfactory. For a soft - specced Hyundai sedan, you don't feel much speed in the cabin (some of this is due to the silent engine too), but all this is in a straight line. Corners are not friendly tarmac for the xcent. I drove relatively faster today, and swove through traffic between 80-100 kph. The rear jumps easily, and confidence levels are low. I was hoping the sedan would drive better than the hatch in this regard. A slightly stiffer setup would make this a better all rounder. Steering is light, but I've spoken about that the last time (along with the strong centering action). So, after the second TD, my opinions are slightly different. Handling/Ride - same as before. Engine - better. I think I expected too much the first time. An amaze this is not, neither will it match my ritz in outright pep. But it's satisfactory. I would've been really happy if the top end was a little better, and the suspension was stiffer. But you can't have everything in one package! Truly, for outright power I'd buy the amaze, but for the drab interior and the similar, choppy and underconfident dynamics. For better dynamics and decent interiors I'd pick up a dzire, but the looks, and a long maruti "rattles" and "cheap parts" history pushes me away. One thing is for sure - sit in the Grand / xcent, close the heavy, almost euro door, feel those interiors, and you'll never guess you're sitting in an entry level car which costs this much. I think I've decided on the xcent. One TD of the amaze is due before I put my money down, but I'm scared I'll like the outright performance, scrap every other comparison, and buy it! I have to keep reminding myself this is a car for mom and not for me, and that priorities change accordingly! I'll stick to my laura and 124 for fun To be honest, if it were just my prioroties for a ~6l sedan, I'd close my eyes and go pick up the Ford Classic 1.6. Decade old? No features? Terrible resale? I don't care once I put my foot on that gas pedal!! But I'm going off topic here, so let me stop. After all this is an xcent thread!
Just took a TD yesterday. And I totally agree with you.

It's a blast in city traffic. Light steering, very peppy low end, nice comfortable suspension, good support from the seats.

However, the character changes completely when you try to push it around and have fun. It protests. It's still fast, but doesn't seem happy doing a fast run.

I have booked one, and it is going to be for parents as well, and I think it ticks all the right boxes for their usage. I anyways have the Punto to throw around corners.
Old 7th April 2014, 00:22   #259
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
My BIL requires a replacement, preferably a hatch, for his aging Santro, petrol or diesel with no upper budget as such ( of course not unlimited).
I'll try to answer some of these questions. Hope my suggestions help!

Quote:
Called me & told that Grand had slower acceleration than i-20.
That doesn't sound right. Between the two cars, the i20 is heavier and the engine is tuned pretty much the same. I felt absolutely the opposite. Maybe something was up with that particular car?

Quote:
His requirements & my observations are:
Let me answer these as quickly as I can.

Features - Both Grand and i20 fit the bill.
Ride and NVH - Both are similar, and sufficient for the segment. NVH is outstanding on both cars. Can't comment compared to Verna (haven't experienced it. Ride is similar to i20 (for Grand), maybe even better in the xcent. Handling is neutral for family purposes. Think i20 here as well.
Driveability - since he's a sedate driver, both cars are more than enough in the performance department (Petrols). Haven't driven the diesels.
Pulse/Micra - Haven't driven them either.
Swift (P) - I would pick it up without a second thought, for the sheer drive itself. At the end of the day it's about his personal priorities - like to drive? Swift. Need better space / interior and build at a lower cost? Grand. Need a compact sedan? Again, which one depends on what you need.
Jazz - Eagerly waiting too. I sometimes feel I shouldn't buy now, and wait. It'll definitely be expensive though.

Quote:
It's really easy to choose a car in today's market from many options for non-bhpians, but exactly the opposite for bhpians.
Haha... I guess that's true. "Toyota/Honda hai? Ya phir Maruti/Hyundai? Spacious hai. Kitna deti hai?"
ayushagarwal26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 07:23   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Swift (P) - I would pick it up without a second thought, for the sheer drive itself. At the end of the day it's about his personal priorities - like to drive? Swift. Need better space / interior and build at a lower cost? Grand. Need a compact sedan? Again, which one depends on what you need.
Jazz - Eagerly waiting too. I sometimes feel I shouldn't buy now, and wait. It'll definitely be expensive though.
Swift (p) & Ritz (p) are safest to buy. My 4 year old Ritz ZXI has done 45k now, only problems are too much of rattle & bumpy ride at rear. Swift( old ) rattles even more than my Ritz. Heard that new Swift is better in this deptt.

Hyundais in same category are way better than Maruti, which matters a lot, if you want to keep the car little longer. Because my BIL is not an enthusiastic driver and will keep the car for 7/8 years ( his Santro in now 8 yrs old), I think Grand i-10 ( P) or Xcent (p) makes more sense than Swift (p)/ Dzire (p) due to it's freshness in the market, should be less prone to rattle and no significant difference in NVH & ride quality. Correct me if I am wrong.

Off topic- Have you driven Ritz DDIS. If yes, how it fares at higher speeds say above 110/120 kmph with regard to engine power and NVH.
Old 7th April 2014, 10:25   #261
BHPian

Saw the car yesterday at Forum Value Mall on display. The straight side profile looks AWFUL. What can I say, most compact sedans are ugly from the sides, but in this case, I felt like the Indigo CS is better proportioned that the Xcent.

Here is a pic (sorry for the quality):

Name:  xc.jpg
Views: 4696
Size:  42.1 KB
Old 7th April 2014, 11:45   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Swift (p) & Ritz (p) are safest to buy. My 4 year old Ritz ZXI has done 45k now, only problems are too much of rattle & bumpy ride at rear.

I think Grand i-10 ( P) or Xcent (p) makes more sense than Swift (p)/ Dzire (p) due to it's freshness in the market, should be less prone to rattle and no significant difference in NVH & ride quality. Correct me if I am wrong.

Off topic- Have you driven Ritz DDIS. If yes, how it fares at higher speeds say above 110/120 kmph with regard to engine power and NVH.
I agree. Swift and Ritz are proven machines, and I'm finding it strange that a driving nut like me is recommending practicality over handling, but for your BIL's requirements, the Hyundai's seem to make more sense. I think the Grand i10 petrol just fits in. Of course that's only my opinion - he should drive it and decide. Go for the xcent if the boot is needed - otherwise i think the hatch is a better overall rounded option.

I have driven the ritz ddis, and the swift ddis (both old and new). Despite the tallboy design, the ritz has very predictable and fun dynamics, and the 1.3 multijet is a hoot to drive. I personally love the ritz for its practicality. The engines (both petrol and diesel) are robust and the drive is great at its price point. I've just somehow mentally decided to give marutis a break for a while since I now own some euro cars, and maruti's plastics / build / rattles upset me no end. Maruti quality doesn't last, and its sad because their products are otherwise very vfm, perfectly suited for the market, and have a great engine / dynamics balance.

I don't mean to confuse you further, but since your BIL is not an entusiastic driver, and wants a comfortable yet small car which has quality which will last - how about the Polo? I know the 3 pot engines aren't fun at all (I've driven both, and was expectedly bored to death), but the build / feel good factor and quality can't be matched. It'll age gracefully, and I think it's the very best looking hatch out there. Also, it's likely that the 1.2 3 pot diesel motor will be replaced by the 1.5 TDi in the non GT models very soon. Worth a wait?
Old 7th April 2014, 13:48   #263
BHPian

Quote:
I agree. Swift and Ritz are proven machines, and I'm finding it strange that a driving nut like me is recommending practicality over handling,

I have driven the ritz ddis, and the swift ddis (both old and new). Despite the tallboy design, the ritz has very predictable and fun dynamics, and the 1.3 multijet is a hoot to drive. I personally love the ritz for its practicality. The engines (both petrol and diesel) are robust and the drive is great at its price point.

I don't mean to confuse you further, but since your BIL is not an entusiastic driver, and wants a comfortable yet small car which has quality which will last - how about the Polo? I know the 3 pot engines aren't fun at all (I've driven both, and was expectedly bored to death), but the build / feel good factor and quality can't be matched. It'll age gracefully, and I think it's the very best looking hatch out there. Also, it's likely that the 1.2 3 pot diesel motor will be replaced by the 1.5 TDi in the non GT models very soon. Worth a wait?
Thanks mate for your time. Grand will surely remain rattle free over Marutis in long run. Please compare top end & NVH performance of Ritz P & D, which I had requested in my earlier post. I know both are way better in performance compared to Grand.

It seems likely that we have to book Grand/Xcent or Ritz P/D.

Polo is a classy product. But the 3 cylinder petrol is too boring. The engine noise at low speeds are much above refined diesels like Swift, i-20 etc. 1.6 TDI is unnecessarily costly due to excise reasons. Upcoming 1.5 TDI should be best, but BIL can not wait that long.

Last edited by Chitta Pradhan : 7th April 2014 at 14:04. Reason: addition
Old 7th April 2014, 21:39   #264

Mod Note: Team-BHP's Hyundai Xcent review has been uploaded at this link (Hyundai Xcent : Official Review). Please continue the discussion over on the review thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Saw the car yesterday at Forum Value Mall on display. The straight side profile looks AWFUL. What can I say, most compact sedans are ugly from the sides, but in this case, I felt like the Indigo CS is better proportioned that the Xcent.

Here is a pic (sorry for the quality):

Attachment 1227497
I agree it looks awkward from side view and some other angles.
But I think it also depends on the colours.
I think this particular car looks better in light colours compared to dark.
That is why my parents booked the Silver even they wanted to go for Red.

Last edited by GTO : 10th April 2014 at 17:16. Reason: Link to official review
Closed Thread