Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 4th February 2014, 16:02   #106
BHPian

Default re: Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh

Wow, this makes the Zest look like it's from a different planet. Looks very bland and disappointing. Have Hyundai and Tata swapped their design teams? The Zest loss a thousand times better than this ugly booty duckling.
Old 4th February 2014, 16:09   #107
BHPian

Default re: Hyundai Xcent (Grand i10 Sedan) caught testing : Now launched @ Rs. 4.66 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Will the Xcent be launched with an auto box?
Sahil sir, pl have a look at this post
http://indianautosblog.com/2014/02/hyundai-xcent-115671
Rakkum13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 17:07   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
I don't understand why many people keep bragging about 1.1L engine and its under-performance. I test drove i10 Grand and I did not feel any power lag. We was three people in the car and pickup + power delivery was great. No matter what you feel, if car has decent FE and priced sensibly people will go for it. Regardless of your personal views normal people don't buy cars to race, they want decent looking car with good interiors and very good FE and Xcent has all these features.

I also liked looks of Xcent and I am 100% sure it will do great numbers for huyandi. Xcent will definitely hit sales of Amaze and dezire. Amaze has horrible interiors and sound like a tractor where as i10 Grand engine is extremely refined.
@Max, the Grand i10 is indeed slowest in the group of Diesel hatches tested by ACI sometime back (alongwith Ritz, Figo & Sail, if I recall correctly). But, the margin wasn't that bad, around 2 seconds for the best around 16 seconds by the Ritz. Moreover, the 3-cylinder diesel on Grand i10 does not has the top end performance (speed numbers) like the MJD, sort of boring above 100 kmph. The handling isn't superlative either, tuned for city speeds & average highway manners. That's where the enthusiasts on our forum desist this car, though this can be a good thing for calm & composed family guys.

However, it scores well on all other parameters, including petrol performance. & that is where the competitors need to be worried about. Still I feel, this segment is fast growing & there would be additional number (buyers) for this car without affecting Dzire & Amaze numbers much.
CARDEEP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 18:12   #109
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai's Grand i10 Sedan caught testing

Sad. They took a beautiful hatch and made an ugly sedan out of it. First it was the Brio and now the i10 Grand. God knows how many such rodents are in store for us. Would somebody please petition the govt to remove the 4m rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
That's just a sad name IMO. Grand i10 was sad, and this is even worse. What was wrong with Accent?!
I think, they finally got the name right. The name now matches its popular pronunciation.
Old 4th February 2014, 18:43   #110
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: Hyundai's Grand i10 Sedan caught testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
................... The rear looks much better integrated and I'm pretty sure this will be the best looking sub 4m sedan out there.
Hi Vidyut, looks like it's going to be a close contest between this, the Ford Figo compact sedan (whose interiors are yet to be seen?) and the Tata Zest now.

With both the exteriors and the interiors, the Zest seems to have an edge over the Hyundai Xcent (strictly going with the information available in the internet and on this forum).

After the expo (for a complete unveiling with more details), a poll between these 3 might be interesting (my bet is on the Zest for looks & features).
Old 4th February 2014, 19:02   #111
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai's Grand i10 Sedan caught testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
the Ford Figo compact sedan (whose interiors are yet to be seen?) and the Tata Zest now.

With both the exteriors and the interiors, the Zest seems to have an edge over the Hyundai Xcent (strictly going with the information available in the internet and on this forum).
going by the release pics, I'd say the Zest is the best looker of the class followed by the figo sedan concept (no idea what the production version will look like) and the others are way behind.

IMHO, if an Amaze and Xcent were fully debadged, I'll be a little hard pressed to figure out which is which. The shape looks so similar to me.
Old 4th February 2014, 19:13   #112
BHPian

I guess Hyundai named it as the Xcent and not the Accent because they may want the Indian public to get the pronunciation of the car right(Hyundai Ascent)

On the design front, I feel it is a very lazy job by the Hyundai designers as the boot looks like a square box stuck onto the car, there is no design element which matches the front of the car. Although the car does look very proportionate and does not have the stubby boot effect of other compact sedans like the Zest and Dzire.

But, it retains the huge strengths of the Grand i10 like the interiors,equipment and space which would ensure its success.
IMO, in terms of interior quality it beats all the other cars in its segment hands down.
Old 4th February 2014, 19:24   #113
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: Hyundai's Grand i10 Sedan caught testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Grand i10 was priced 35K or so less than a Swift from what I recollect. With that strategy, this also has to be priced lesser. Probably it's a dig on Amaze. I believe Xcent will directly hit Amaze if priced lower. Might take longer time if they want to dent Dzire.
Like most other Hyundai cars, this one will sell (and probably well, too). And like you've said, it will probably hurt Amaze more than the DZire. I've almost given up on believing any brand is going to take on Maruti. I only giggle whenever someone mentions a new car will probably beat a Maruti variant, because come what may, there are many people who will blindly (or binded with) go with a Maruti (for many reasons).

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Looks very very average, nothing inspirational no WOW factor.
The only thing which can make this car click in the features : price ratio which has been the USP for Hyundai. They need to undercut Dzire and Amaze if they want to gain market share.

The compact sedan market is getting flooded with new launches - The Zest from Tata Motors, the Ford Ka Concept aka Figo sedan and now this. Great time to be a buyer!
Yes. Doesn't make one go wow like the Zest (or Bolt has, but a different segment) has. No doubt Hyundai will load it with 'features' India love and the 1.1 crdi (if true) will keep the mileage hungry happy. Guessing (as above) it will hurt Amaze more than Dzire. With the Zest, Xcent and Ford Figo C sedan, all of them together 'may' make a dent on the Dzire, over long term.

And true! Seems like 2014 will be the year of compact sedans (and i was wishing for compact SUVs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
going by the release pics, I'd say the Zest is the best looker of the class followed by the figo sedan concept (no idea what the production version will look like) and the others are way behind.
Agree. As of right now, Zest takes the cake for a well rounded design for a CS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Will the Xcent be launched with an auto box?
Skoda, you silly group, see what you've done to Sahil. (only kidding, Sahil)
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2014, 22:43   #114
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Moreover, the 3-cylinder diesel on Grand i10 does not has the top end performance (speed numbers) like the MJD, sort of boring above 100 kmph. The handling isn't superlative either, tuned for city speeds & average highway manners. That's where the enthusiasts on our forum desist this car, though this can be a good thing for calm & composed family guys.
My friend this engine may not be good for racing but its performance is good enough for 99% of car buyers. In mumbai / any other Indian cities you really can't drive more then 60-70kmph most of the time, so question of performance after 100kmph do not arise for 99% of the car buyers.

After 15 years of driving in India and abroad, I have come to conclusion that its not safe to drive more than 60-80 kmph in India and 100kmph on express ways. Cows, tuck tucks, motor cyclists, animals, kids running around on roads, broken pipes, broken wires, people driving from opposite sides, open trucks drooping sand stones on roads, speed breakers without signs or paint! If you drive regularly at high speeds, one bad day is all it will take to ruin your or somebody else life on the road.

It is also not legal to drive more then 80kmph in almost all the states. By doing so you are risking your life and other people's life as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Sad. They took a beautiful hatch and made an ugly sedan out of it. First it was the Brio and now the i10 Grand. God knows how many such rodents are in store for us. Would somebody please petition the govt to remove the 4m rule.

I think, they finally got the name right. The name now matches its popular pronunciation.
I think design of the car is subjective opinion. I like the design of the car and many more will do so. Wait for the numbers. You are correct about the Pill and the name though

Last edited by Max : 4th February 2014 at 22:45.
Old 5th February 2014, 11:00   #115
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
My friend this engine may not be good for racing but its performance is good enough for 99% of car buyers. In mumbai / any other Indian cities you really can't drive more then 60-70kmph most of the time, so question of performance after 100kmph do not arise for 99% of the car buyers.

After 15 years of driving in India and abroad, I have come to conclusion that its not safe to drive more than 60-80 kmph in India and 100kmph on express ways. Cows, tuck tucks, motor cyclists, animals, kids running around on roads, broken pipes, broken wires, people driving from opposite sides, open trucks drooping sand stones on roads, speed breakers without signs or paint! If you drive regularly at high speeds, one bad day is all it will take to ruin your or somebody else life on the road.

It is also not legal to drive more then 80kmph in almost all the states. By doing so you are risking your life and other people's life as well.
True ! However, the performance of the engine is just not a function of how fast you can travel but how quickly can you overtake a dragging truck or a bullock cart or a slow moving vehicle when on highway without risking your life and of others seated in incoming vehicle.
Engines like these ( I have not driven it though ) are a pain when you need that little additional torque which makes your pick up and stop AND overtaking better.
Cooltronics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2014, 11:26   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooltronics View Post
True ! However, the performance of the engine is just not a function of how fast you can travel but how quickly can you overtake a dragging truck or a bullock cart or a slow moving vehicle when on highway without risking your life and of others seated in incoming vehicle.
Engines like these ( I have not driven it though ) are a pain when you need that little additional torque which makes your pick up and stop AND overtaking better.
Exactly! I shudder at the thought of driving this thing with a full load on a single lane highway in India. It also has the distinction of being the only compact sedan who's diesel engine is smaller than the petrol engine! 1.1 litre engine in a sedan just does not cut it for me. Worse still Hyundai is also known for bloating power figures for its engines.
Old 20th February 2014, 17:31   #117
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Xcent in Red colour caught testing in road in Chennai:

Name:  HyundaiXcentontheroad.jpg
Views: 3840
Size:  50.4 KB

Name:  HyundaiXcentontheroadrear.jpg
Views: 6014
Size:  49.0 KB

Name:  HyundaiXcentontheroadtaillights.jpg
Views: 2566
Size:  49.1 KB

Courtesy IAB - http://indianautosblog.com/2014/02/h...d-spied-121442
CARDEEP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 17:46   #118
RSR
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Hyundai Xcent in Red colour caught testing in road in Chennai
The car looks much better in the real world, than in those initial studio shots released by Hyundai. The apparent "squareness" of the boot is well concealed when it's seen on the road. The proportions are good since it does not have a very short and stubby boot. This shade of red looks like a new colour (though I think the Accent and Verna may have had them at some point earlier).

The car in the pictures looks like it has height adjustable neck-restraints for the front seats - hope they make it to the production variants (the Auto Expo display models did not have them).
RSR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2014, 00:37   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai Xcent in Red colour caught testing in road in Chennai:
Are they still not through with the testing process. I was under the impression that the car is due to be launched in March or April 2014.

Also the various variants were not disclosed as the cars that were displayed at the auto expo never had the variant badges.
mints21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 18:31   #120
Senior - BHPian

As per NDTV, the Xcent is scheduled for launch in next week. Link to their report here:

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/exclusive-...nd-week-381927
Closed Thread