Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 27th December 2013, 10:54   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Rumour: Hyundai Santro replacement under consideration

Could possibly be based on sister company’s Kia Ray hatchback?

The Ray is sold in Korea with a 105bhp, 998cc petrol motor but if this model were to come to India, it would most likely to be powered by Hyundai’s 1.2 litre Kappa engine.

Name:  0_468_700_http___i_haymarket_net_au_ExtraImages_20131227031721_kiyaray.jpg
Views: 5428
Size:  33.3 KB

Quote:
Hyundai is currently evaluating various options for a possible replacement of the Santro Xing hatchback. However, the Korean car marker doesn't want to deviate from the popular and space-efficient ‘tall-boy’ design formula that continues to be the unique selling proposition of this car
Quote:
It’s difficult to predict if and when the Ray would make it to Indian showrooms but what’s clear is that Hyundai eventually will have to discontinue the Santro in favour of more modern products
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...on-368472.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 27th December 2013 at 10:58.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 11:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Rumour: Hyundai Santro replacement under consideration

This is good news... so brand Santro is not dying down, but getting stronger (albeit with a bigger heart). I do not have any issues or expectations, because as a Santro Xing owner, it is a boring small car, & probably the ride on bad roads is appreciated by many due to which it still manages to find substantial buyers, despite being overdue for a major change.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 12:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Rumour: Hyundai Santro replacement under consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Could possibly be based on sister companyís Kia Ray hatchback?

Attachment 1183202
My god, what is that monstrosity? Please excuse me while I go bleach my eyes.

Indian consumers are getting more demanding, even in the lower segments of the market. This car might score well on features, space and fuel efficiency, but it's not going to win any beauty contests, that's for sure. When Hyundai sets a standard with reasonably good looking cars like the i10, grand i10, Eon, how (or why) on earth would this ever make it to the market with its boxy, only-a-mother-can-love-it looks?
iliketurtles is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 12:15   #4
BHPian

Default Re: *Rumour*Hyundai Santro replacement under consideration

What an ugly looking concoction .
While I agree that Santro didn't win any beauty contests either, but it deserves something better than this to carry its legacy forward.
yosbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 12:18   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Rumour: Hyundai Santro replacement under consideration

I doubt it. The Santro replacement is already here and it's called the Hyundai Eon!

Hyundai will continue selling the Santro until there is a market for it. Fact is, with zero promotions & effort, the tall boy does 3000 - 4000 units each month. Clearly, the cheap hatchback has its own fan following. Also, important to note that a majority of Santro customers are from the private segment (not commercial / taxi).

When it's time for the Santro to RIP, it's the Eon that will go through a slight repositioning. I hope that torque'y 1.1L from the Santro makes its way to the Eon's engine bay too. The Eon's 3-cylinder is an unimpressive motor.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 12:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I doubt it. The Santro replacement is already here and it's called the Hyundai Eon!

Hyundai will continue selling the Santro until there is a market for it. Fact is, with zero promotions & effort, the tall boy does 3000 - 4000 units each month. Clearly, the cheap hatchback has its own fan following. Also, important to note that a majority of Santro customers are from the private segment (not commercial / taxi).

When it's time for the Santro to RIP, it's the Eon that will go through a slight repositioning. I hope that torque'y 1.1L from the Santro makes its way to the Eon's engine bay too. The Eon's 3-cylinder is an unimpressive motor.
Hyundai is moving towards the Fluidic theme for all its cars. Its unlikely that they'll mess up that theme with a rebadged Kia car. Even the old i10 has fluidic theme. Only exceptions are Santro and Accent, with Accent likely to be stopped with the launch of Grand i10 sedan version.

Santro's replacement would be the old generation i10 which Hyundai has stripped down to just 1.1L engine just like they removed top end Santro variants once they launched i10.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 12:50   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundaiís decision to consider the Kia Ray for India could do with the fact that the car maker needs a tall-boy hatchback in its range for the Indian market, matching the Maruti's WagonR's specifications and for the ease of ingress and egress they offer, along with good all-round visibility.

Name:  KiaRayTallBoyHatchback3.jpg
Views: 2065
Size:  51.6 KB

Name:  KiaRayTallBoyHatchback2.jpg
Views: 2277
Size:  58.3 KB

At 3,595 mm long, the Kia Ray measures exactly the same length as the WagonR. The carís 1,700 mm height makes it taller than the WagonR. On the inside, the Kia Ray is said to offer roomy interiors.

Cheers!

http://www.cartoq.com/will-hyundai-i...h-the-kia-ray/
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 12:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Hyundai has a desirable market for Santro and the current Santro will RIP the way Accent went. No advertisement and zero promotion is allowing them to cut costs thus making the product more profitable for them.

As far as EON's 1.1 engine is concerned, it is very much under consideration and we may expect a launch of the same sometime next year.

The new launch of cars from Kia would certainly be a new segment and not exact replacement of Santro. I have my doubts that they will be able to generate numbers and reach break even point with this kind of a box body, when we all know for sure that Maruti is struggling to keep the current Wagon-R alive in its current form. Even Stingray has not been able to generate the numbers that they were expecting.
mints21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 15:16   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mints21 View Post
I have my doubts that they will be able to generate numbers and reach break even point with this kind of a box body, when we all know for sure that Maruti is struggling to keep the current Wagon-R alive in its current form. Even Stingray has not been able to generate the numbers that they were expecting.
Wagon R is still generating 10k+ numbers with just a petrol engine in a diesel savvy market. For most manufacturers, that is in the range of their overall monthly sales. Put a diesel engine into Wagon R and you'll see it jump to #2 slot

Hyundai can launch the Kia brand in India instead of going the rebadging route.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 17:28   #10
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 27th December 2013 at 17:53.
Naparajito is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 27th December 2013, 18:03   #11
BHPian

I also agree that a tall boy design on the lines of Wagon R could be a good bet on the part of Hyundai.
If we discount for a moment the fluidic theme that Hyundai is migrating (or already migrated) to, this car actually looks cute like a baby. A fresh change from the now-dated looks of Wagon R.
anuragn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 19:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think this is only speculation with no base. Guess the ACI guys needed something to put up as news, and hence hatched this idea.

The rear door of the car can be used as door of a house as well. Given the fluidic theme Hyundai is following across full spectrum of cars except Santro, I don't think the thought of bringing this to India has even crossed the Hyundai guys, and am inclined to believe this is a result of an imaginative writer facing a dead line for a new article.
ani_meher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 19:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Someone in Hyundai would have thought that the Kia Ray can be a worthy competitor to Maruti's Wagon R and its Stingray variant. Because Wagon R sells in enough numbers and that is a slot worth a look, with the intention to have a bite.
The front end could look a lot better with some rework.
Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
What is that niche doing in the rear seat? And is the rear seat a sliding one on one side, a la Omni? The picture in the opening post is a normal one.

Last edited by rajeev k : 27th December 2013 at 19:33.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2013, 20:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Come on Hyundai, don't kill or replace the current Santro. Agreed it is now quite an old model, but wait its nearest rival called Maruti sells prehistoric models in the name of Alto K10, Wagon R, Omni, M800 all in decent numbers albeit the K10 having a new heart and Wagon R a new sould (read platform).

A leaf out of the strategy for the Santro's chief rival which is Wagon R, after over 3-4 minor facelifts to the age old model, a brand new paltform was brought in as the current Wagon R which made it bigger and better and now selling in hordes!

Firstly they can have a minor facelift to boost the current sale in the short term and then bring in a worthy tall boy platform replacement and yes retaining the Santro brand name that has so many loyal following.

It is clear even a i10 cannot replace the popularity of a Santro and lets be clear the Eon is just a cheap contraption targetted at one lower segment to that of Santro both in cost and build.
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2013, 11:02   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Aah! Just when I thought Wagon R / Sting Ray can be the end of bad design... Kia beats them hands down with this model!

Am I the only one who feel that Hyundai is squarely aiming at Maruti's share? If I see the focus on the recent launches, it does point to it. Be the Grand i10 or keeping all previous gen models side by side with the newer gen versions or launching products mainly where Maruti is extremely strong (read as Grand i10 sedan) all leads to this direction.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote