Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 9th October 2017, 01:27   #211
BHPian

Default Re: Buying a car through the CSD. EDIT: Revised eligibility criteria on Page #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
My retired father is eligible to buy a car from CSD canteen and has a smart card. But he is severely visually impaired and doesn't have a driving license.

Questions:

1) Can he buy a car from CSD without having a driving license?
2) Will the car-ownership be on his name? Or can it be on his son's name (ie. my name) from the very outset?
3) If it has to be on his own name, is it possible to transfer the ownership to his son?
4) In which state does it get registered?
Having a smart card doesn't necessarily imply eligibility as car buying doesn't require smart card but other set of documents signed from Zila sainik board / Ex servicemen board. Also there are restrictions on engine capacity based on the rank, so keep that in mind before proceeding. Your father can always buy a car from CSD even if he is visually impaired and doesn't have a licence as the car is intended for his use. The car will Be registered to him as the invoice will be on his name. He also has to certify that he will not sell the car or transfer ownership for a period of four years. The car gets registered in the state where he resides although it can be done elsewhere by producing address proof but then he will be harassed for driving out of state car by police.

Last edited by RajeVenu : 9th October 2017 at 01:29.
RajeVenu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 08:15   #212
BHPian

Default Re: Buying a car through the CSD. EDIT: Revised eligibility criteria on Page #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeVenu View Post
... Also there are restrictions on engine capacity based on the rank, so keep that in mind before proceeding. Your father can always buy a car from CSD even if he is visually impaired and doesn't have a licence as the car is intended for his use. The car will Be registered to him as the invoice will be on his name...
Thanks.

Is there a link where I can see what engine capacity my dad is entitled to? (He is a *retired* class 1 gazetted civilian officer)

Also, can I be a co-owner of the car? If not, how does insurance work? That is, can I get insurance on my name on the car even though it is solely owned by him? (And a similar query about car *loan*)
vharihar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 08:21   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.

Is there a link where I can see what engine capacity my dad is entitled to? (He is a *retired* class 1 gazetted civilian officer)

Also, can I be a co-owner of the car? If not, how does insurance work? That is, can I get insurance on my name on the car even though it is solely owned by him? (And a similar query about car *loan*)
You cannot be a co owner. Driving license is required. If he was a class 1 gazetted officer, has can buy any of the vehicles available in CSD.
handsofsteel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 21:20   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.

AFAIK, I don't think CSD facility is extended for retired civilian officers. It is only for defence/ ex defence employees.
dhanushmenon is offline   Reply With Quote