Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 27th December 2013, 13:38   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Honda to develop Brio-based compact SUV

Mod Note: Our BR-V Report has been taken live at this link (Honda BR-V : Official Review). Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Honda will not be bringing its attractive looking Vezel SUV to India even in 2015, cost being the major issue.

Quote:
The good news is that the company is now evaluating the Honda Brio’s platform for an all-new compact SUV. Developed specifically for emerging markets, this platform is relatively inexpensive and hence, can allow Honda to price the SUV competitively.

A low-cost compact SUV will grant Honda entry into a lucrative segment and will significantly strengthen its portfolio. However, it isn’t clear if Honda will go with a sub-four-metre length (like the EcoSport) to take advantage of the tax benefits that’ll help price the SUV competitively. The SUV is expected to be launched in 2016.

Cheers!

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...uv-368478.aspx

Last edited by GTO : 25th May 2016 at 09:45. Reason: Linking to review
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 14:45   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Honda to develop Brio-based compact SUV

I seriously hope they stick on to just the platform / chassis and do NOT bring in those head lights / interiors bits and the integrated seats into this SUV! Hope they work on the interiors to provide a better feel than a cut-cost SUV.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 14:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

That is unfortunate. The Vezel SUV with the CRV kind of looks would have appealed to our senses here. But I guess the costs would have made it a Jazz fiasco all over again.
So now we'll have to wait for a watered down compact (and maybe cramped) version on the Brio platform.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 16:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

So basically, they have huge expectations (in terms of premium & profit per unit, as per ACI report) from the Vezel that they won't get from the lowly numbers, & low price of the same in India. Thus, they are dragging feet from Indian market which is becoming competitive, & thus margins are reducing for them.

And, now they are back to drawing board again to get a smaller SUV, apparently with yo-yo interiors, which they will hail as revolutionary for Indian (poor men's) market. I am sorry this is the very reason why they have lost market in India:
1. Not have competitive products, read diesel engines, features on board (no 6 airbags for new City & single one on lower variants);
2. Unreasonable expectations & unimaginative leadership from Indian operation.
Old 27th December 2013, 16:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand this. The Vezel isn't really an EcoSport competitor as it's longer than 4 meters. It isn't really a Duster/Terrano competitor since its a better finished product inside and outside. The Skoda Yeti is more like it.

A 14-16 lakhs price tag will just fill the slot that the original CR-V sold in India vacated. Positioned correctly, I think there is a market.

Honda's strategy puzzles me. If the Civic and Accord have been discontinued because of low sales then how does the CR-V continue to justify its existence? I'd rather have a pricey Vezel than an exorbitantly priced CR-V. Not to mention the Vezel will have a diesel option and economies of scale because of the Jazz platform.

Last edited by StarScream : 27th December 2013 at 16:22.
StarScream is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 17:00   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
I don't understand this. The Vezel isn't really an EcoSport competitor as it's longer than 4 meters. It isn't really a Duster/Terrano competitor since its a better finished product inside and outside. The Skoda Yeti is more like it.

A 14-16 lakhs price tag will just fill the slot that the original CR-V sold in India vacated. Positioned correctly, I think there is a market.
Maybe the reason why Honda is not bringing the Vezel IS because it's a Yeti competitor and they have seen the abysmal sales it generates.

Also,they are aware of the Indian mindset of longer car=pricier car. Although it's a better finished and more premium product but it is same length as the Duster which means Honda has to price the Vezel accordingly to succeed.
The Indian public is happy paying 13 lakhs for a Terrano but won't pay a couple lakhs more for a Yeti

I agree with you that Honda should bring the Vezel at around 15 lakhs as there are not many premium crossovers in the market and they could create a new segment with the Vezel.
Marauder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 17:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Maybe the reason why Honda is not bringing the Vezel IS because it's a Yeti competitor and they have seen the abysmal sales it generates.

Also,they are aware of the Indian mindset of longer car=pricier car. Although it's a better finished and more premium product but it is same length as the Duster which means Honda has to price the Vezel accordingly to succeed.
The Indian public is happy paying 13 lakhs for a Terrano but won't pay a couple lakhs more for a Yeti

I agree with you that Honda should bring the Vezel at around 15 lakhs as there are not many premium crossovers in the market and they could create a new segment with the Vezel.
I don't think length and price are correlated, at least not any more. Otherwise the A-Class and Q3 would be terrible failures in our market.

The Yeti isn't a great example, come to think of it. Quirky looks, no automatic and a poor reputation for service hurts sales however good the product is. Honda will address all those issues with the Vezel.

In my mind the Vezel and Duster aren't competition for each other and I think Honda is making a mistake by ditching the Vezel and continuing with the CR-V. Nothing stops them from having both a sub-4 meter, cheaper SUV on the Brio platform and the Vezel. They can distinguish the engines by using the 120 bhp 1.6 i-DTEC with VGT in the Vezel and the Amaze's 1.5 i-DTEC in the Brio SUV. That will also help justify the Vezel's price compared with the City diesel.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 17:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post

One major reason for Yeti not dong well was that it does not have the presence of the heft associated with a SUV . It looks too tame and is not macho enough for the average Indian buyer. This is one area where Ecosport and Duster have done well. Both have been packaged to "look " like SUV's while as at best they are crossovers .
Old 27th December 2013, 18:09   #9
BHPian

Quote:

Honda's strategy puzzles me. If the Civic and Accord have been discontinued because of low sales then how does the CR-V continue to justify its existence? I'd rather have a pricey Vezel than an exorbitantly priced CR-V. Not to mention the Vezel will have a diesel option and economies of scale because of the Jazz platform.
My thoughts, exactly!! A beautifully finshed crossover with a diesel engine good for 115-120 bhp at 16 lakhs would have definitely done decent numbers
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 18:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

Another sub-4m "SUV" then? All the sub-4m + SUV fascination has given is ugly (Quanto) or wanna-be/look-at-me (Ecosport) contraptions. It would do them well if they could bring a challenger to the XUV with a diesel & petrol option. Not much competition in that range AKAIK.
asr245 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 18:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Poor decision by Honda, in the pursuit of low costs, they are watering down the core essence of Honda. May be they are trying to re-invent themselves.

What is Brio platform, a hatchback, how can they use it for a SUV ?

If they use that front which looks similar to a mouse, it would look weird as an SUV.
Old 27th December 2013, 19:18   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
It would do them well if they could bring a challenger to the XUV with a diesel & petrol option. Not much competition in that range AKAIK.
In fact the sub-4m, wannabe SUV segment will be a very crowded one with Ford, Suzuki, Hyundai and Honda present.

As you say the XUV really doesn't have a competitor. A loaded Vezel, length and engine power notwithstanding, will give the XUV a run for its money and bypass a crowded section of the market.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 20:10   #13
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

With Vezel Honda had a chance to give Duster, Terrano, Storm, Scorpio, XUV a run for their money and would have put Yeti in a box and burried it completely. They wont do so. Why? Only Honda knows. Maybe they will wake up once VW comes with Tiguan and do this job which Honda could have done now. Till then keep calling sedan based crossovers SUV's. Frustrati.

Last edited by rajamuneeb : 27th December 2013 at 20:12.
Old 27th December 2013, 22:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

I was looking forward for the Vezel, bad news for me.
Does anybody have the pictures of the brio based SUV?

Hope they don't mess it up like the brio 7 seater MPV
Old 27th December 2013, 22:38   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think length and price are correlated, at least not any more. Otherwise the A-Class and Q3 would be terrible failures in our market.

The Yeti isn't a great example, come to think of it. Quirky looks, no automatic and a poor reputation for service hurts sales however good the product is. Honda will address all those issues with the Vezel.
One of the major reasons for the success of the A-class was that it was the cheapest offering from the Mercedes stable and thus was a 'luxury' car in the minds of the buyers. The product should have perceived value even though it is not be really VFM.
The best example is the Honda Jazz itself, it was a brilliant package and leagues ahead of the competition in the overall utility of the product but buyers did not want to pay so much for a hatchback or 'choti gaadi'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
One major reason for Yeti not dong well was that it does not have the presence of the heft associated with a SUV . It looks too tame and is not macho enough for the average Indian buyer. This is one area where Ecosport and Duster have done well. Both have been packaged to "look " like SUV's while as at best they are crossovers .
Yes that is another big reason.
The car should like it's a true blue SUV even though the Yeti is way more capable off-road(the real purpose of SUVs) than the Duster,Ecosport.
Although,looks are subjective but I don't think the Vezel is a looker either. The front ends of recent Hondas look ungainly and there are just too many lines on the side fenders in the Vezel.

Last edited by Marauder : 27th December 2013 at 22:42.
Closed Thread