Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 30th December 2013, 12:28   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Bare basic variants and their ugly looks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by urajkumar View Post
I disagree with your point!

Call me biased but i think the base variant of the Ecosport is better looking than the mid or top variants! The black handle, Grill, ORVM etc contrasts the light color. It is another matter that it does miss out ABS/Airbags etc but it does depend on the budget & requirement of the buyer.
I think, Ford did try to make the Ambiente look ugly so that people skip that variant. At that ridiculously low starting price, Ford does not stand to earn much by selling the base variant.

But unfortunately for Ford, and fortunately for the customers, the car does not look that bad in the lighter colored variants.

The true ugly base variant belongs to Hyundai in the form of the i10 Era. It looks downright ugly with the black bumpers. I was (un)fortunate to spot one copy in Bangalore, but never a second one.

Hyundai succeeded where Ford failed.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 12:44   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
Take any A segment / B segment hatch/sedan, there is always this base variant that comes with exteriors showcasing black unpainted door handles and ORVMs, cost cutting agreed!
It is not about cost cutting.
The answer is here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
You are all underestimating the power of MBA degrees. It's a marketing technique.

Make the base variant ugly. Make the top variant expensive. And then crank out high margin mid variants in the thousands.
Even though buyer's original intent was to go for the cheapest one (base variant), it looks so fugly that he is compelled to go for the next higher variant (which is several order of magnitude costlier - not because of manufacturing cost, but because of higher markup and thus the higher price).

This is a kind of upselling.

So why have a base variant? To attract customers - everyone gets drawn in by the low price.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2013, 13:46   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
The true ugly base variant belongs to Hyundai in the form of the i10 Era. It looks downright ugly with the black bumpers. I was (un)fortunate to spot one copy in Bangalore, but never a second one.

Hyundai succeeded where Ford failed.
I think you are referring to the DLite variant and not ERA. I own the ERA variant and found it serious VFM vis--vis the next variant, Magna.

For a price differential of ~25k, what you get in the Magna over the Era are

- Wheel caps (got these installed in aftermarket for 700 bucks)
- Rear Parcel Tray (negotiated with the dealer and got a Hyundai one for 1000 bucks)
- All 4 power windows instead of Front Power windows in Era
- Body coloured handles and mirrors (Vs Black in Era) (Again, these can be painted in the aftermarket at ~2-3k. Mine is a black car so this makes no difference)

The only real difference for the additional 20k was rear power windows. In my case, we bought the car for my wife and so 80% of the driving will be with solo passenger. Also, 100% driving is with AC on. So rear power windows was not a deal breaker at all !

I think the base versions do appeal well for people who are looking for a particular spec at a price point. There are many buyers of the base Corporate Edition of Honda City which had black interiors / door handles / mirrors etc. Or the Ambiente version of Ecosport or base variant Dusters.
aroonanand is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 11:09   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
My point is not on any A or B segment cars guys. In fact, I agree that point equally with you on them.

My take is, seeing such an aesthetic glaring cost cutting on a luxury car as Vento or EcoSport is not appreciated. Heck its C segment, and whomsoever pays close to a million bucks on such a car certainly deserves better looks. And for what such a car stands for. Hyundai never did it with Verna. Likewise some other manufacturers too. That's respectable I say!
I am with vvijay on this. Segment A & B cars base variants cost cutting can still be accepted to keep the prices of such cars to bare minimum.

My personal opinion is that persons going for a C Segment car would definitely would not mind giving another 20K for some better exteriors like Body-Coloured ORVM, Door handles etc. considering that they are buying a car which is worth at least 9L+ On-Road.
tejas08 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 12:01   #35
BHPian

Just my 2 cents.
If the base variant and base variant + 1 is calculated for most hatches the difference is mostly cosmetic and accessory based which does not affect the functionality of the vehicle. An after market make up is cheaper than buying base_Variant+1 .
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 12:08   #36
BHPian

Base, mid or top variants I feel as a nation we sometimes give too much importance to the looks of the car rather than the safety features. Features like Airbags and ABS must be made mandatory across all variants and Companies should think of many other ways of cost cutting for the various variants. It is only then the auto industry in our country would be ranked among the best in the world. After all looks are subjective.

Last edited by vipinendran : 2nd January 2014 at 12:10. Reason: Addition of a line
vipinendran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 12:25   #37
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Safety features are to be mandated by the government. Not by automakers. If you pay peanuts we get monkeys, as the classic statement goes. The Indian 'aam junta' wants to pay exactly one rupee for a s class, that's the way we roll. If we cant get a S class for a rupee we at least want the S class looks and comfort for that rupee, not interested in safety features, what the hell, we don't even wear seat-belts or helmets!!

So I am not surprised that ABS/EBD etc are 'luxury' features, after all the paying public seems happy buying gray bumpers and one wing mirror!!
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 14:24   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Safety features are to be mandated by the government. Not by automakers. If WE pay peanuts we get monkeys, as the classic statement goes.
Exactly. I may add that worldwide the stripped down base version is not that much for sales, as for generating footfalls.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 15:11   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
Safety features are to be mandated by the government. Not by automakers. If you pay peanuts we get monkeys, as the classic statement goes. The Indian 'aam junta' wants to pay exactly one rupee for a s class, that's the way we roll. If we cant get a S class for a rupee we at least want the S class looks and comfort for that rupee, not interested in safety features, what the hell, we don't even wear seat-belts or helmets!!

So I am not surprised that ABS/EBD etc are 'luxury' features, after all the paying public seems happy buying gray bumpers and one wing mirror!!
I have failed to understand the reason behind the delay for making the safety features (ABS & Airbags) mandatory. I mean the government is more active in deciding that a car is not a small car, if it is longer by even 1mm over the 4meters mark & having an engine above 1.4L.

Even the public are ignorant about seat belts & helmets, most of them wear them just to avoid being fined by the cops. I have largely been unsuccessful in educating few of my family members on wearing a seat belt. Many argue saying, in city traffic its not at all needed, as traffic is moving at snails pace.

With such mentality its hard educating & creating awareness.
Venkat_Figo is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 16:25   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkat_Figo View Post
I have failed to understand the reason behind the delay for making the safety features (ABS & Airbags) mandatory. I mean the government is more active in deciding that a car is not a small car, if it is longer by even 1mm over the 4meters mark & having an engine above 1.4L.

Even the public are ignorant about seat belts & helmets, most of them wear them just to avoid being fined by the cops. I have largely been unsuccessful in educating few of my family members on wearing a seat belt. Many argue saying, in city traffic its not at all needed, as traffic is moving at snails pace.

I feel it is a "mindset"we have with respect to nearly everything related to safety, not just related to automobiles alone. Even with respect to fire safety, electrical safety in buildings, or for example the number of children falling into unclosed borewells, sumps and drains, we as a nation have such a callous attitude towards safety, it is never our priority unless something terrible happens ( recent fire in an AC coach in A.P ) and we talk about it for a few days and then everyone forgets it, till the next one happens.
In chennai for e.g., If you can see the huge number of children in school obviously below 18, driving a two wheeler to their schools and parking it in a friends place outside the school because schools don't allow it, is enough to prove our attitude and the respect we have for the law in our country.
vipinendran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 17:27   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkat_Figo View Post

Forget ABS/Airbags, is even the left rear view mirror mandatory?
arvind71181 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 20:06   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Forget ABS/Airbags, is even the left rear view mirror mandatory?
Thanks for pointing it out, all manufacturers have termed the left rear view mirror as an "accessory" for base variants.

The buyer too in most cases choose not to have the so called accessory fitted. As a matter of fact many drivers don't even open the ORVMs while driving. A couple instances the driver actually opened the ORVMs after I repeatedly honked at him.
Venkat_Figo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 20:17   #43
BHPian

I would agree that the basic variants can be called ugly( referring to the faint grey interiors and exteriors). However, i think i would rather pick a base variant of my favourite car and then install the ICE or any other component, paint them and get a car that I would love to drive than pick the mid or top variant and settle with the factory fitted std parts. We do lack the safety features, but i think a purist would over look them, the creature comforts, the cosmetics and others.
so,i can relate the base variants to a blank canvas with the primary colors - just about what you need.
krichared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 22:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
I think you are referring to the DLite variant and not ERA. I own the ERA variant and found it serious VFM vis--vis the next variant, Magna.

For a price differential of ~25k, what you get in the Magna over the Era are

- Wheel caps (got these installed in aftermarket for 700 bucks)
- Rear Parcel Tray (negotiated with the dealer and got a Hyundai one for 1000 bucks)
- All 4 power windows instead of Front Power windows in Era
- Body coloured handles and mirrors (Vs Black in Era) (Again, these can be painted in the aftermarket at ~2-3k. Mine is a black car so this makes no difference)

The only real difference for the additional 20k was rear power windows. In my case, we bought the car for my wife and so 80% of the driving will be with solo passenger. Also, 100% driving is with AC on. So rear power windows was not a deal breaker at all !

I think the base versions do appeal well for people who are looking for a particular spec at a price point. There are many buyers of the base Corporate Edition of Honda City which had black interiors / door handles / mirrors etc. Or the Ambiente version of Ecosport or base variant Dusters.
i10 d-lite is no longer there. Era gets black bumpers, magna loses wheel caps and few features and magna old becomes sportz (stereo added).

The old i10 has been repositoned with only 1.1 litre engine.
sidindica is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 22:21   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post

i10 d-lite is no longer there. Era gets black bumpers, magna loses wheel caps and few features and magna old becomes sportz (stereo added).

The old i10 has been repositoned with only 1.1 litre engine.
Okay. Looks like this is the new line up post introduction of Grand i10. I bought mine in Aug just before the Grand i10 was launched! At that time Dlite was there and Era came with body coloured bumpers.
aroonanand is offline   Reply With Quote